• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
I'm confused about how these ranked matches work. Sometimes we win and our side doesn't get a point? Or the payload doesn't have to go nearly as far? It's not even overtime
You have to beat whatever the other team was able to accomplish. So if other team makes it halfway to the first checkpoint on payload you just have to beat that.

I'm confused about how these ranked matches work. Sometimes we win and our side doesn't get a point? Or the payload doesn't have to go nearly as far? It's not even overtime

If you push the cart further than the other team you win. That's it. It doesn't have to get to one of the points if the other team didn't get it to the point. It just has to go farther than they got it.

I prestiged recently and now it's taking ages to find a game. Currently at 1:41 with 6 seconds estimated for quickplay. Maybe everyone went competitive?

I prestiged recently and now it's taking ages to find a game. Currently at 1:41 with 6 seconds estimated for quickplay. Maybe everyone went competitive?
I wouldn't even bother looking at the estimated stuff, it's almost always wrong. It'll say 50 seconds to then find a match in 5 seconds, or vice versa, it's kind of a dumb system and I don't see why Blizzard does it in so many of their games.

N° 2048

I wouldn't even bother looking at the estimated stuff, it's almost always wrong. It'll say 50 seconds to then find a match in 5 seconds, or vice versa, it's kind of a dumb system and I don't see why Blizzard does it in so many of their games.

Yep, it has never been accurate for me.

terrible

Banned
I just have it set to put me in skirmishes while it's searching so I don't even notice how long it takes to find a match. I'd guess it takes 2+ minutes pretty consistently though, maybe 5+.

Kysen

A bunch of things I have learned in 30+ games:

The lower your rating the worse peoples connections are. 4 of my first 10 matches had someone disconnect mid round causing an auto loss.

The later in the night you play the better quality of players in the matching pool. More people using mics and willing to play objectives.

Joining a game with a semi premade (3 or more grouped) is a mixed bag. If one of them sucks chances are the whole group does. In some cases the matching system allows someone in their group outside the skill rating range of the match.

Solo queuing as support just isn't worth it. I did 3hrs of straight mercy play and no matter how well I played you just cant carry a team. Having to beg others to at least die on the control point/payload so you can multi res. Watching dps farm kills instead of trying to win. I had one game where a 76 stood above the capture point on Village the whole game. At one point our whole team died under him and he did not budge.

After finishing the placement matches, competitive has felt like Flowers for Algernon. I was already thinking the game thought I was way better than I actually am, and sure enough in three games I lost three ranks. The last game in particular was just getting utterly wrecked over and over again.

I had never considered the possibility that Overwatch would be ruined by the game thinking you were too awesome and matching you against people way better than you constantly until you finally fell enough ranks to match your level. Hopefully it's just a bad night, though.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Just for reference.. I went 3 and 7, got a 44 ranking. Played grouped up and faced some of the most amazing players I've encountered to date.

Solo Q has not been bad, players are nowhere near the godlike level that I saw in placements. The average has been from 43-58 but mostly around the mid-high 40's range.

Some people are putting way too much stock into their rating and not enough into their own play. I feel like I've made loads of improvements but really only gone up one point in ranking.

Still love the increased intensity and generally people have been decent players. Gotten lucky to escape the psycho assholes and trolls.

KyleP29

Well competitive got off to a very bad start.

First game is Anubis and we actually do really well on attack and then someone leaves with 30 sec despite us contesting and eventually capturing. So then we have to defend 5 vs 6 and after they got the first point it became 4 vs 6 and an eventual loss.

Next match is Dorado starting on defense. Game starts im Lucio dancing on the payload knocking the other team off it and I notice a chunk of my team die... no biggie 'll just contest the point by jumping around the payload until they get back....only 4 of them decide to quit out instead. I see the quit out now without loss box pop up with the countdown and say ok better then 2 vs 6....only to still take a L on my placement?

Things turned around and I went 7-1 to close it out but man it would have been mighty nice not to deal with quitters when trying to get my placement.

vypek

I fucking hate that Torbjorns turret locks onto rip tires and inanimate objects. And soldier's ultimate doesn't have it as a target

B_Bech

I'm getting a frustrating "Unexpected Server Error" and cannot log into the main menu. Anyone know a fix for this? I reset my router and did a full power off and on my Xbox One yet the problem still persists. Any help would be appreciated.

Eric WK

Finally can check updated stats now that the PS4 patch is live, and get some validation that my Winston has turned a serious corner:

Really average total stats -

QbSFvn2.png

After hours of learning, my last 10 games (trend arrows are incorrect) -

3i8WjF0.png

bx7j0n4.png

Hate to break it to you, but at that point Overbuff was comparing your extra long competitive matches against shorter quick play matches. It should be fixed now, though. They announced it on Twitter.

Moonkeis

People are actually using mics on the PS4, that's amazing. Well, at least from my first 2 placement matches.

If there is only 3 players on the opposing team because 2 left, the match does not count towards the placement? It seems like a waste of time to continue the game.

Permanently A

I think, for people under rank 50, it may not be possible to climb without a group. I'm guessing that people under rank 50 aren't using voice comms and not paying too much attention to team comp. You really need teamwork to climb out of the pits with a consistent winrate, losing one and winning one ad infinitum won't help. After rank 50 people use voice comms, teamwork, and listen to each other a lot more, making solo queueing much more viable (I placed at 56 and am now at 62 entirely via solo queue without losing a single game). I think Blizz needs to add an LFG type system to alleviate the pains of the solo queue.

low rank competitive in a nutshell

IKizzLE

7-3 on console competitive
59 MMR
16th in the world according to master overwatch. Wont last past tomorrow.
Getting to 70 will be harder than I thought.

Permanently A

Crazy to think that each win is 1 point and you need 300 to get golden guns for even just 1 character. Yikes.

You get a bundle of points at the end of the season based on your ranking. the top players are supposed to get enough to buy a golden outright, whereas everyone else will need to save over several seasons.

Ayumi

I had someone in a match ask me to pick Mercy instead of Zenyatta because no one else picked support and straight up told him, if I'm playing support, it's Lucio or Zenyatta. If someone else wants to switch to support, that's fine by me/

Mercy is the only character in the game I actively dislike playing.
Really hate it when everyone has chosen a good role, and there's a guy with a switchable hero going "Omg, why don't we have a healer??? Someone switch!!!".

I always play Mercy as support, and this one guy was like "Mercy, pls pick Lucio". So I said I didn't know how to play him, he got super angry and said "fuck you", etc. No one else wanted to play support either, surprisingly, so I stuck to her.

Blues1990

For the Young Genji & Young Hanzo costumes, do they have dialogue made specifically for those two skins? Also, do they sound younger (or in the case for Genji, he sounds human)?

R0ckman

I see why hero stacking is banned, people switching to tons of Winstons just to hold the overtime in KotH. Stomped a group with great plays and it went to hell from them spaming Winstons for a foothold.

X-Frame

The chat system on console is god-awful. Blizzard needs to just remove all Group Chat functionality from console so that it's not so confusing to be able to talk to friends and the team.

If we're in Team Chat then when we go back to matchmaking we can't talk to each other until we get back in a game, that's stupid. But in the end, Group Chat is completely pointless when Party Chat exists on XB1 and PS4. It should just be Team Chat Auto-Join or Off and nothing else, unless I am missing something.

I understand the point of Group Chat on PC, but not console.

Finalow

Lol, he's trash bruh.
he's really not, provided you have good aim. the difference is that now you almost always use left-click instead of righ-click.

I see why hero stacking is banned, people switching to tons of Winstons just to hold the overtime in KotH. Stomped a group with great plays and it went to hell from them spaming Winstons for a foothold.
counters exist. if they switch to 4-5 winstons just switch to some reapers or bastions and see how quickly they die&lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom