• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
I got another legendary! It's Riverboat McCree!

...my last legendary was Gambler McCree. If only they let you switch skins ingame.

Superflat

I'm going to say screw it and treat comp like quickmatch. It's virtually the same thing.

Used to really bother me that losing a single match will lower me by a full rank no matter how I played during it, but I'm going to treat comp like the "competitive point grinding simulator" it deserves to be.

spiritfox

Went 6-4 for the placement matches. The level of play is pretty decent, no weird compositions or anything. Don't think I'll continue to play competitive though. Takes too much time.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Welp lost my first match already 6 vs 1

Fuck you Blizzard for giving assholes a free leave, then leaving a stupid prompt of you can leave but with a loss...

The fuck kind of bullshit is this

I stayed and ate the loss, yet watch that not matter at all into my SR

4dYAkXL.png

whats this mean

Kito

Got 2 POTGs as Symmetra on attack in Hanamura and Numbani today, the latter with 3 gold medals.

The most satisfying thing is imagining the defence Symmetras' reaction to my POTGs. They get killed by me and change character, whilst I stick with Symm and do their job better than them.

Teleporters are better than rezzes because the team can immediately come back with different characters in response to e.g. a Bastion, and you're not all clumped together to feed Reapers ults and the such.

Satch

Banned
It feels good to get on the team opposite a guy that was on yours before and was a piece of shit

destroyed him, i know he had to have been PISSED

Sora_N

Got 2 POTGs as Symmetra on attack in Hanamura and Numbani today, the latter with 3 gold medals.

The most satisfying thing is imagining the defence Symmetras' reaction to my POTGs. They get killed by me and change character, whilst I stick with Symm and do their job better than them.

Teleporters are better than rezzes because the team can immediately come back with different characters in response to e.g. a Bastion, and you're not all clumped together to feed Reapers ults and the such.

Wow Symmetra on attack? What's your tip for that? I always die and not sure what to do to attack when I play on attack.

spiritfox

Welp lost my first match already 6 vs 1

Fuck you Blizzard for giving assholes a free leave, then leaving a stupid prompt of you can leave but with a loss...

The fuck kind of bullshit is this

I stayed and ate the loss, yet watch that not matter at all into my SR

3 of my 4 loses during placement was due to a leaver. Seriously, it's stupid that you still get a loss if someone else leaves.

Finally! And in competitive mode no less. Two birds, one stone.

aBAOYen.jpg

I've been lucky enough so far in pub that I've won my first 5 games out of 6. Even if I lose the next 4 games now I'll be happy.

Nimby

Banned
Played a 30 minute match on comp. We unfortunately lost 2-3. Healed over 30,000 damage, the enemy Pharah had 107 eliminations.

Jesus, that seems excessive.

Oh, another question, can you come up against groups in solo queue and can you tell if a team is grouped?

Yeah you can solo que group and you can tell who's in a group by the bracket on the VS. screen. Generally, the game does a good job of matching. It uses solo players to fill spots a lot of the times. Like a group of four and two solo players. I’ve never seen it pure solo vs a full group. A lot of my games actually have been everyone solo.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
3 of my 4 loses during placement was due to a leaver. Seriously, it's stupid that you still get a loss if someone else leaves.

I don't get it
Leaving should be huge in Competitive

Placement should punish you to high heaven for even doing it
Rather than give you the leavers penalty it should automatically drop you -5 or -10 ranks from the get go

I get too many leaves equals bans you for the mode, but shit needs to be strict from the start that this isn't quick play now with mics

I don't like being team captain per say, I call out everything
My second game was pure Competitive Bliss

My team listened to me, I called out enemy locations, called out I was placing armor packs, my team was fucking cohesive just me only the one communicating

Started on Hanamura as Defend, went full 10 minutes, but teammates were smart to come pick up armor before venturing out
I almost shed a tear when Mcree came back from running outside, grabbed a pack, thanked me and got a double kill in the process, I know my +75 helped him there

Switched to Attack, I called out the setup of the team and location, 2 flanked left, 3 center, I as Reaper flanked right
Two deaths later worth of back and forth from both sides, their Defense crumbled trying to cover that many points
Smart Tracer peeled off @75% and ran to Objective B to cause chaos, while we got there
I just flanked from underneath, Triple Kill Death Blossom, for them chasing Tracer letting their guard down
Capped point
Our Reinhardt got there @99% and just emoted like Victory

I love this game when shit is on point
I would have taken a loss here if my team played that competently and no reason to bounce on them

Fuck why is this game so cruel ;(

1st placement I'm ready to never play this mode due to leavers
2nd game pure Working Gears in Perfection of getting that win

xaosslug

finished my placement matches... 5-5 and ended up rank 42. Some of the best and worst team experiences I've had in this game. In one match 4 peeps quit and it was just me & Genji trying to duo Nepal... it was a hot-ass mess. T__T

gotDAMN I need a solid group of peeps to play with if I'mma survive rank'd. smh

DeSo

Banned
Yeah you can solo que group and you can tell who's in a group by the bracket on the VS. screen. Generally, the game does a good job of matching. It uses solo players to fill spots a lot of the times. Like a group of four and two solo players. I’ve never seen it pure solo vs a full group. A lot of my games actually have been everyone solo.
Cheers!

God, fuck competitive. I don't know why Blizzard thought it would be fun to give someone an unnaturally high ranking, but let me tell you: my 3-10 record today felt like fucking SHIT. If the game had just placed me at, I dunno, 42 or 45 or whatever my actual ranking should be, maybe I'd actually win some games. Instead, every game feels awful and I hate everything. Like, what the hell did I ever do to you, Blizzard?

Blizzard

Banned
How long does the leaver penalty last? Feel like I've played ten games and it still won't fuck off.
It depends how often you leave games apparently. It lasted 2 games for me when the servers kept kicking me one day.

On another note, I've apparently discovered an achievement glitch -- I ulted as D.Va right as a round was ending, and it gave me a quintuple kill + the 4-kill achievement.

Copenap

Jesus, that seems excessive.

Oh, another question, can you come up against groups in solo queue and can you tell if a team is grouped?
There is no set amount if games it lasts. It lasts as long your leave percentage over the last X games (20 I believe) is over a certain threshold. So the more often you leave in a row, the longer it will take to get away as all your leaves are concentrated in your recent games.

God, fuck competitive. I don't know why Blizzard thought it would be fun to give someone an unnaturally high ranking, but let me tell you: my 3-10 record today felt like fucking SHIT. If the game had just placed me at, I dunno, 42 or 45 or whatever my actual ranking should be, maybe I'd actually win some games. Instead, every game feels awful and I hate everything.

I have the same issue. Goodbye season 1.

P.S I saw some ridiculous ranking requirements in the recruit reddit. I just won a game against people of 4-6 higher points average and I couldn't even level up one spot (I used Lucio and got some medals). I had two rage quits that prevented me from ranking, so something like 6-3 and I am lower than the point where I started. This is hands down the worst ranked system (execution and design wise) I've ever came across; it has a similar attitude to that bugged matchmaking that does weird things and disregards bloated stats.

tried out zarya. not about that attacking and shielding people. how does one do it especially when your team clumps together and you want to shield that one person who is dying

also was playing Nepal and was on the point. roadhog hooks me. he didn't try to kill me but just let me go. luckily i calmed down and didn't panic. skidded on the wall and jumped to the other side and started riding back up.

DeSo

Banned
There is no set amount if games it lasts. It lasts as long your leave percentage over the last X games (20 I believe) is over a certain threshold. So the more often you leave in a row, the longer it will take to get away as all your leaves are concentrated in your recent games.
Yeah I left like two games in a row over salt (left one game, got placed back into the same game, left again). It's gone now though.

Danj

I've come to the conclusion that competitive mode sucks. It's just not fun, and even just one bad team member or one person who ditches you can ruin the entire thing - and with no backfilling, you're usually screwed if that happens.

There's no way those overbuff stats are right. It lists me has having 31 eliminations with Winston in competitive and being 0-1. I used him for parts of two games, one which I won and one which I lost. Combined I don't think I had 20 kills.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So it seems there's mixed feelings regarding ranked then? :/

I actually decided to just play quick play tonight rather than torture myself with more competitive (currently 8-13, and 6 of the 8 wins were in my qualifying matches, so you can see how well things have been going once I got ranked) and I honestly had a lot more fun playing "casual" than watching my ranking tumble with every loss. Might just stick with quick play from now on, and wait for Season 2 to get back into competitive.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I actually decided to just play quick play tonight rather than torture myself with more competitive (currently 8-13, and 6 of the 8 wins were in my qualifying matches, so you can see how well things have been going once I got ranked) and I honestly had a lot more fun playing "casual" than watching my ranking tumble with every loss. Might just stick with quick play from now on, and wait for Season 2 to get back into competitive.

Do what I'm planning to do. Quick play when I don't have a group, ranked when I do.

So it seems there's mixed feelings regarding ranked then? :/

Ranked is amazing. Everyone is giving their best; each match is an exhausting 20 minutes of back and forth action. Everyone is using mics, chat, commands..,etc. The leveling up system is fair and works properly. Solo que works; someone went 9-1 in solo que and was rated 50+. Everyone is running meta teams and adapting mid-fight; no bad picks or quick play strats.

Satch

Banned
Ranked is amazing. Everyone is giving their best; each match is an exhausting 20 minutes of back and forth action. Everyone is using mics, chat, commands..,etc. The leveling up system is fair and works properly. Solo que works; someone went 9-1 in solo que and was rated 50+. Everyone is running meta teams and adapting mid-fight; no bad picks or quick play strats.
Xd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom