• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zemm

Ive been watching a few high level groups and they get matched with groups 20 levels below them because no-one is in their elo, they obviously stomp.

yeah Poke's 6 man group would often come up against teams that aren't a full group, usually 3x duo's AND 20 levels below them. But he plays at like 3am or something silly his time I think? And yeah the matches are pointless.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
How's the character usage rates on comp mode for everyone? Is it the same style as quick play or different? Gotta know if i'll be the only zen player in existance in comp.

From my 11 games of comp so far

Rein and Zarya reign supreme as Tanks, either or both have been in everyone of my games
Roadhog/D.Va are ties for 3rd, Winston is only used if enemy Genji or Genji's in play
Attackers Soldier 76, Reaper, Genji mostly 2 of those 3. Tracer is a distant 4th. Pharah is rare, but gets targeted real quick, No more free skies for her. McCree is RIP, saw him in only 1 game, that nerf hurts him, I as reaper survived his Flash/FTH/Roll/FTH, (used my shadow in between, but got him before he could get me).
Defend side Junkrat and Torb real stand out. Mei is 3rd. Widow/Hanzo do get picked but maybe I saw them 2 times total.
Healing. Lucio has been a key player pick with a resounding 100% pick in all of my 11 games.
Mercy comes in second
Symmetra 3rd
Never seen a Zen yet in competitive

Mostly groups have been:
Soldier:76/Reaper/Genji/Lucio/Rein/Zarya

When teams counter and recounter then the other classes come out
Mainstays or starter have been mostly that group static

Zens problem is that he's back line and needs another support to tag along and a Rein or D.Va to assist in getting him to an advantage stage
A lot of players I've played against are covering flanking lanes or breaking through and flanking through your defense
Not saying you can't, hey that's up to you, but so far no Zenyatta in my games

Dispatch

I'm thinking Symmetra is not so great for competitive. I have a near 80 win rate with her in quick play because teams are just disorganized but when people are coordinating ults and flanking, Symmetra crumbles. Couldn't even keep up a teleporter in Numbani because this Tracer was running around unchallenged behind the first point.

Yes, this was my experience last night. I ended up with a group who tried to coordinate, but we got stomped by well-oiled machines. (I'm currently 1-4.)

I placed Symmetra's tourettes in my normal spots and the other teams flanked and took them out. When I hid them in nearby rooms that were good flanking routes in quick play, they sent a tank in to quickly take them out.

AcAnchoa

I've never felt so frustrated with any other online game before. I accept I'm bad, but not THIS bad. I haven't won a single comp game in days.

Rad-

I'm thinking Symmetra is not so great for competitive. I have a near 80 win rate with her in quick play because teams are just disorganized but when people are coordinating ults and flanking, Symmetra crumbles. Couldn't even keep up a teleporter in Numbani because this Tracer was running around unchallenged behind the first point.

Hmm from my experience she is still good or even better because her teleport alone can mean pretty much a potential win. What I do is place the teleporter based on what heroes the enemy team has. For example if they don't have any Pharahs or Genjis, a good place to put it in Anubis is the staircase behind the first point. Tracer can still get there but it takes a longer way to run there. And if they have Pharahs and whatnot but not ground flankers like Tracer, then I place it somewhere where you can't see it from the air and roofs.

Edit: Wait I mixed the maps. Brainfart. I meant Anubis duh.

zoukka

Dude picks symmetria in anubis attack. Doesn't communicate, just silently dies over and over again.

I lose one full rank.

terrible

Banned
Currently matched against not one, but two groups as solo queue. Why would it not put a group on my team? We're even the underdog for extra icing.

Yeah I just finished up a round with 6 solo players vs a group of 3 and a group of 2 + 1 solo player. We won anyway.

I've never felt so frustrated with any other online game before. I accept I'm bad, but not THIS bad. I haven't won a single comp game in days.

I've had that in regular matchmaking. Sometimes you just get put on the bad team every single game for long stretches. I can't explain how or why but it does seem to happen.

peakish

Just ran into my first bit of proper BM in ranked. Some Torbjörn player who whined about me picking a second tank on defense and started calling me worthless. "There's a reason you're rank 53" when the fucker is one rank above me lol

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I think you cant underestimate how far you can get just being flexible and filling, I found it in League where I was perennially stuck in silver trying to make stuff work and eventually accepted that working around people was far better and rose up through Diamond, I am not a hugely mechanical player, never was. This does mean playing support sometimes and playing tanks, but my advice to people struggling would be to work out what your team needs and fill that role as best you can, taking into account team comps and who you are against.

Because the golden rule of competitive multiplayer games is "I have to assume my teammates dont realise its a team game"

ramyeon

Two losses so far in placements. Solo queueing this sucks. Second loss we only had 5 people cause someone dropped out at the start.

zoukka

I think you cant underestimate how far you can get just being flexible and filling, I found it in League where I was perennially stuck in silver trying to make stuff work and eventually accepted that working around people was far better and rose up through Diamond, I am not a hugely mechanical player, never was. This does mean playing support sometimes and playing tanks, but my advice to people struggling would be to work out what your team needs and fill that role as best you can, taking into account team comps and who you are against.

Because the golden rule of competitive multiplayer games is "I have to assume my teammates dont realise its a team game"

Yeah this is true. I always play support if there's none and tank too. People in general are selfish asshats who want to hanzo in every fucking match. Or like in my last match SYMMETRIA IN ATTACK. Fuck.

Ardenyal

I was holding out hope that ranked mode would revitalize my interest in the game but the level of teamplay is still as abysmal as ever. Game is fun but it's just too frustrating playing with casuals.

terrible

Banned
You pretty much have to be comfortable with at least one hero per role and adjust as needed during a game. Even then it's pretty easy to be on a team that is so unorganized and clueless that you have zero chance of winning though.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Yeah this is true. I always play support if there's none and tank too. People in general are selfish asshats who want to hanzo in every fucking match. Or like in my last match SYMMETRIA IN ATTACK. Fuck.

Well like in League you cant win them all :(

Id love, fucking love, to go Genji every game

But I also like to win

So ill go Genji in Quick play and in ranked when my team is so much better ill pick it to practice a bit :p

ramyeon

Fuck ranked solo. 3 losses in a row thanks to shit groups. I don't know how people get to level 80 and still don't know how to play this game on an even basic level.

Kito

Wow Symmetra on attack? What's your tip for that? I always die and not sure what to do to attack when I play on attack.

Only choose her if there's already a Mercy or Lucio.

Energy balls are your range. Peek and shoot them to destroy Torb turrets/Bastions or deal damage on clustered enemies.

Continuously place sentry turrets as you progress; don't get lazy or think your job is to ult and that's it. Your turrets will kill or disrupt Tracers/Reapers/etc, whose job is to flank and extend further. Your turrets can also kill RIP tires.

Once you've charged your ult through spamming energy balls, wait until you have 3 turrets off cooldown. These will protect the teleporter. Sneak past a choke point, find a suitable room, set up turrets first then teleporter. Afterwards go on a suicidal killing spree.

The teleporter relies on good timing and placement which you can only get through practice and failure.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

Yup. I lose 5 or 6( if not more) game for every 1 game I win. Never seen nothing quite like it. Dropped from rank 63 down to 52 and still falling.

Kito

Dude picks symmetria in anubis attack. Doesn't communicate, just silently dies over and over again.

If everyone was berating him then a deserved loss. Give instructions and encouragement. He's made his choice, use his ult advantageously.

My issue is that pub teammates are so bad in competitive, even if they teleport back they're quickly dead again. I still get my gold medals but win rate is half that of quick play.

Dispatch

I'm playing competitive and our Tourbjorn was stunned to find out his gun did damage, too. And he sounded about six years old. Fuck...

LordAmused

Wow Symmetra on attack? What's your tip for that? I always die and not sure what to do to attack when I play on attack.

Me and a few friends tried a Symmetra+Mercy combo on attack and boy did we steamroll everything. Two-support teams have given us a lot of victory both in Quick Play and Competitive, needless to say the rest of the team had to steamroll through enemy defenses but I think it works. Move a lot and keep that TP up.

NeoRaider

You can safely leave the game, you'll get no penalty but a loss

We over here playing with five people. smh Blizzard

Lost 4 or 5 of 10 placement matches because of this reason. One, and even 2 or 3 ppl leaving. Who thought that this Competitive is good idea?

After first 10 matches i am lvl 43, but i honestly don't plan to play Competitive that is MESS like this one. Thanks, but QP is still fun for me. Competitive is huge frustration.

mxgt

Banned
So many fucking leavers on enemy teams screwing winning teams out of proper skill gains

Fix this shit, Blizzard

So some torbjorn was chilling on that moving platform on the Russia level with his turret which managed to kill me like 5 times lol.

It's pretty ingenious placement for a turret or a bastion.

Zemm

Fuck whichever clown decided the coin toss was a good idea. This competitive system is fucking awful. Twice we set a time of 3 minutes in a match, with the other team doing it in like 8 minutes, yet they win the coin toss and win the match. Fuck off with this shit game.

Also had an opposition team quit after we steamrolled the first point and we got jack shit point wise. Some real fucking shit decisions in this game.

I've gone down a rank when I should be up 1.5-2.

mxgt

Banned
Fuck whichever clown decided the coin toss was a good idea. This competitive system is fucking awful. Twice we set a time of 3 minutes in a match, with the other team doing it in like 8 minutes, yet they win the coin toss and win the match. Fuck off with this shit game.

Also had an opposition team quit after we steamrolled the first point and we got jack shit point wise. Some real fucking shit decisions in this game.

I've gone down a rank when I should be up 1.5-2.

Yeah comp is a fucking joke in its current state. Just going to stick to quick play until Blizzard decides to make the game fair.

Also there needs to be separate queues for solo and group.

So some torbjorn was chilling on that moving platform on the Russia level with his turret which managed to kill me like 5 times lol.

It's pretty ingenious placement for a turret or a bastion.
Turret on any of the moving platforms, like Volskya or Hollywood is a right pain in the ass.

A good Widow or Pharah should neutralize it though.

Zemm

Yeah comp is a fucking joke in its current state. Just going to stick to quick play until Blizzard decides to make the game fair.

Also there needs to be separate queues for solo and group.

They should have put it up on PTR and beta tested it for 6 months.

Crzy1

Lost 3 levels last night, was getting grouped with some terrible teams. Hate to blame it on others, but never could get a team that would pick a decent comp. Almost done playing support or tank at this point, just not worth the headache, especially when it feels like I'd be much more effective than the damage dealers I've been getting grouped with.

Moonkeis

Lost 3 levels last night, was getting grouped with some terrible teams. Hate to blame it on others, but never could get a team that would pick a decent comp. Almost done playing support or tank at this point, just not worth the headache, especially when it feels like I'd be much more effective than the damage dealers I've been getting grouped with.

I enjoy playing support but it's definitely frustrating when team members who stick with nothing but DD can't even play correctly. As soon as I'm in a game where it's defense and you have 2 goofs standing by their spawn, feeding them 2 easy kills, it's all downhill from there.

tw1164

I played ranked w/ a full group of gaffers last night. Ranked *seems* to be notably harder. The matches were some of the most intense I've played; One of the matches went on for 22 mins. I ended the night at 5-7 (rank 41). On the plus side, no one in the team seemed overly upset w/ the loses. It was pretty fun despite losing most the games.

Are the golden weapons for the top few % of players? I'm no sure I'd be able to earn enough currency to buy one.

People need to stop fucking leaving matches. Competitive is hell because of it. One fucking asshole left after the first round of Ilios. Like, seriously dude? The first round?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom