• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

N° 2048

People leaving matches and still not using mics in competitive lol
Or people are in groups of 2, 2, 2 for voice chat and never go into Team Chat.

I played ranked w/ a full group of gaffers last night. Ranked *seems* to be notably harder. The matches were some of the most intense I've played; One of the matches went on for 22 mins. I ended the night at 5-7 (rank 41). On the plus side, no one in the team seemed overly upset w/ the loses. It was pretty fun despite losing most the games.

Are the golden weapons for the top few % of players? I'm no sure I'd be able to earn enough currency to buy one.
People generally seem pretty amicable about losses as long as you're communicating and actually trying your best. ¯|_(ツ)_|¯

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Think my favourite Maps are Hanamura and Hollywood, really well designed

Got my first sextuple kill. Was playing Reaper in a competitive match. We were on defense (Gibraltar) and pretty much steamrolling the other team. Finally they got their act together and grouped up for a big push and started moving the payload. I dropped down behind them and did the Reaper Ballerina. Killed their entire team.

Next match we had to attack. They kept stalling our team, but twice I moved in, cleaned house without even using the my ult and pushed the payload for the win. People on voice chat were chanting my name. Felt like some sort of ESL league player.

Of course, that was followed by 4 defeats, two were very close games and I didn't mind since they were at least fun and balanced. 3rd loss was because of a leaver 2 minutes in right after we wrested the point away from the enemy team on a KoH. 4th match wasn't even close, balanced MM my ass, we never even got out of our spawn doors. Went from 36 to 40 to 37 before calling it a night.

As for leavers I dunno. It happens less than it does in quick play, but still too often. Of course you notice it more because it won't backfill in competitive. I'm not sure increasing penalties will help, cause that might just result in people getting screwed.

For example, the other day, I got kicked twice out of competitive matches with friends because of the loading bug, where it takes a million years to load the map for no reason and you get kicked. This happened twice in a row after restarting Overwatch. Then one the 3rd try it worked for me, but hit another team-mate. Frustrating. I wouldn't want to see people get penalized for bugs or disconnects.

Swapzism

Anybody else notice the console update (on Xbox) has resulted in character pop-in on the victory screen, massive screen tearing during replays and kill-cam and the POTG video always delayed with "black screen"?

Also this gem,

Screenshot-Original.png

Think my favourite Maps are Hanamura and Hollywood, really well designed
I still think Hanamura is one of the worst. I feel like I only ever steamroll or get steamrolled there. Having a long, satisfying and tense fight seems rare.

In fact the only one that comes to mind is the long win I had last night lol.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I still think Hanamura is one of the worst. I feel like I only ever steamroll or get steamrolled there. Having a long, satisfying and tense fight seems rare.

In fact the only one that comes to mind is the long win I had last night lol.

I find the first point falls quickly and sometimes that can snowball the second within a minute but if it doesnt you get these really cool pushes and defences that go to the wire.

Pooya

competitive sucks, you lose, the game makes you feel like complete shit by dropping all that progress at once, you win, you gain a tiny bar. lol. It doesn't matter how well you played either, if you had a troll mei on your team or someone dc'd you're still punished all the same. C'mon, give some sense of gratification to people for not messing up the games, it's so terrible right now.

They need to come up with a solo ranked and a separate team ranked. Current system is fine for full teams but solo q is a miserable experience. I'm not going to waste time playing this mode much as it is, there are many frustrating things about it. Like HotS has two separate ranked modes, they're already copying the ranked mode from there, why not take everything.

I'm going to stick to occasional quick play until next season, it's a waste of time right now, forever stuck in 40-50 hell. I'm not sure why people just don't play that if they don't want to actually try and win and just come to ranked to ruin the game for everyone. Sometimes it works and you see great people an it feels great but all of that can go out of the door in the next game and you lose more than you gained.

One thing is for certain, they need to up the level requirement a lot so that you can make sure whoever is matched has a basic understanding of the game, that level 40 something guy that doesn't know the game well yet isn't going to do as well as the prestige guys. I don't care about your skill rating and if they're close, that guy with more levels has more experience with the game and has dedicated a lot of time, that counts for a lot, it doesn't mean they are great players but at least know how things work by now, this game isn't just about pointing and shooting. When you get players with supposedly 50+ skill rating that keep feeding Zarya energy, can't deal with a rein+bastion or shoot into genji reflect, they are clearly not good enough as they don't know the game's mechanics well yet, yet somehow they get some k/d and got placed here.

Someone who started playing 3 days ago has a hidden skill rating that can go up and down a lot quickly too as the system adjusts over more games. I don't care about wait times, I go to ranked I expect to get a good match not a quick match, there is another mode for that.

I find the first point falls quickly and sometimes that can snowball the second within a minute but if it doesnt you get these really cool pushes and defences that go to the wire.
I agree that if the first point falls quick, you can steamroll the second.

I cannot honestly remember many cool pushes and defenses on that map. I hate pushing through that gate, and I hate how limited it all feels in comparison to other maps.

Anybody else notice the console update (on Xbox) has resulted in character pop-in on the victory screen, massive screen tearing during replays and kill-cam and the POTG video always delayed with "black screen"?

Also this gem,

Getting the same as well as a flickering black box in the center

People in competitive are just as dumb as normal. In my FIRST game I had 3 bastions and a Torbjorn on defense and two Bastions on attack. LEL XD So0o0o0o0 randum an FUNNI though!!!11

RemiLP

One thing is for certain, they need to up the level requirement a lot so that you can make sure whoever is matched has a basic understanding of the game, that level 40 something guy that doesn't know the game well yet isn't going to do as well as the prestige guys. I don't care about your skill rating and if they're close, that guy with more levels has more experience with the game and has dedicated a lot of time, that counts for a lot, it doesn't mean they are great players but at least know how things work by now, this game isn't just about pointing and shooting. Someone who started playing 3 days ago has a hidden skill rating that can go up and down a lot quickly too as the system adjusts over more games. I don't care about wait times, I go to ranked I expect to get a good match not a quick match, there is another mode for that.

Maybe iv missed something, but that will quickly solve itselfe with ranked playlist.

if your a level 20 who suck, you will get a low rank in competetive, and play against/with people who also suck.

If your a level 20 thats a world class player, you will get a high rank, and play against/with the best in the game

zoukka

Something about this game brings out the biggest amount of salt in me. Like I see the hanzo forcepicks in every game and want to gut kittens. It might be the best solution to just uninstall the game and live a better life.

NeoRaider

Also i am sick and tired of teams full of Torbjorns, Bastions and Widowmakers in Competitive.
I guess that's the only way for some ppl to win. Disgusting.

Permanently A

I'm thinking Symmetra is not so great for competitive. I have a near 80 win rate with her in quick play because teams are just disorganized but when people are coordinating ults and flanking, Symmetra crumbles. Couldn't even keep up a teleporter in Numbani because this Tracer was running around unchallenged behind the first point.

I really like her. Sometimes she's the only way to win, it's impossible to defend the first point on a tiebreaker match without Symmetra.

hydruxo

I was getting a black screen for 3-5 seconds during kill cams every once in a while last night after the patch on PS4. Also not a fan of how the pre match setup music kicks into the crescendo a few seconds before the door even opens. Not sure why they changed that.

That moment when you realise EVERY SINGLE loss you've had in competitive mode has been from a sudden death round.......

It sucks. It doesn't really give a real indication of who was the better team.

abundant

I know some opinions on Competitive Mode have been sour, but playing it with a full group is honestly the only way to play Overwatch. Went 7-3 in my placement matches with a rank of 54, and almost all ten matches were tense as hell (we won 2 sudden deaths as the Attacking Team and went to round #5 on Nepal).

Some of the best matches I had played yet. Can't wait to hop on again tonight.

Pooya

Maybe iv missed something, but that will quickly solve itselfe with ranked playlist.

if your a level 20 who suck, you will get a low rank in competetive, and play against/with people who also suck.

If your a level 20 thats a world class player, you will get a high rank, and play against/with the best in the game

My hope is that in a few weeks with far more games played people are ranked more correctly but right now in placements matches it's like anything goes and that obviously bleeds into the games after placements too. That level 20 something widowmaker that doesn't give us one wallhack the entire game doesn't deserve 54 skill rating. They will lose their ranks eventually but they drag others with them too. yeah yeah, it's always "my team's fault and not mine" but right now it's absolutely a mess. There are good games to be had too when things work out, competitive is great but all of that goes away with stinkers like that and the system heavily punishes you for losing more than you gain for winning.

That's true too, there are low level players that are absolutely great but it's not all that common. it's just a decent way to filter the learning curve of the game, competitive is an awful place to start learning the game.

ViviOggi

The entire point of placement matches is that "anything goes", you'll get matched across the full skill range by design in order to minimize uncertainty. Besides the ranked playerbase being inflated as it's the new mode and has exclusive rewards, the main issue this season is that placement results are completely out of whack thanks to the KOTH bug. It'll take more time to settle than it would have had they not rushed ranked out, but it'll sort itself out regardless. Give it 1-2 more weeks and MM will be much more accurate.

abundant

The entire point of placement matches is that "anything goes", you'll get matched across the full skill range by design in order to minimize uncertainty. Besides the ranked playerbase being inflated as it's the new mode and has exclusive rewards, the main issue this season is that placement results are completely out of whack thanks to the KOTH bug. It'll take more time to settle than it would have had they not rushed ranked out, but it'll sort itself out regardless. Give it 1-2 more weeks and MM will be much more accurate.

While playing in a full group, MMR worked as intended. Not once were we matched up against another group that stood head and shoulders above us, which has been a problem in Quick Play. We were always matched up with another full group as well.

man, you guys make me wanna skip Competitive. i'm still gonna try it today.
If you can get into a full group, I'm betting you'll like it.

Vestal

I know some opinions on Competitive Mode have been sour, but playing it with a full group is honestly the only way to play Overwatch. Went 7-3 in my placement matches with a rank of 54, and almost all ten matches were tense as hell (we won 2 sudden deaths as the Attacking Team and went to round #5 on Nepal).

Some of the best matches I had played yet. Can't wait to hop on again tonight.

Placement matches are the tease before being bitch slapped by reality.

I went 7-3 in placement and came out at 52. Ranked up to 54 doing solo queue and full gaf team then got handed an entire afternoon of bad teams and ranked down to 47. last night fought back and forth in a gaf group and basically stayed at 47.

Forkball

Had a guy purposefully throw a close game because someone picked Tracer, who he wanted to play. Competitive mode in a nutshell.

Permanently A

For any good Mercy players here, when do you hide and let your teammates die so you can rez them, vs when do you stay on the point and heal them? I always feel like when I hide, we could have won the fight if I stayed. And when I stay and get picked off, I feel like I should have hid. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom