• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

One other thing is overtime, I don't think that has any place in competitive. You have time tank, distance pushed and hopefully stop watch if they're removing sudden death next season. It's so annoying what can happen in overtime with cheese tactics, I don't consider that competitive.

R0ckman

Fuck ranked solo. 3 losses in a row thanks to shit groups. I don't know how people get to level 80 and still don't know how to play this game on an even basic level.

I got rank 38 because I felt like gambling in solo, STOP my friendly advice to you.

One other thing is overtime, I don't think that has any place in competitive. You have time tank, distance pushed and hopefully stop watch if they're removing sudden death next season. It's so annoying what can happen in overtime with cheese tactics, I don't consider that competitive.

Yeah we techincally dominated a KotH group but at the end they cheesed a couple of Winstons for an overtime hold.

Starting a ranked PS4 group.

Alternatively, if there's one needing one more, invite me.

Looking to bang out the placement matches in a sitting.

xaosslug

players quitting and not being replaced is he most stupid thing ever, and most peeps DO NOT KNOW that if a player leaves in competitive, mid-game they will not be replaced. I was just in match where 2 players quit, and 2 other players were giving the rest of us a pep-talk 'Don't worry! The other players will be replaced. Don't quit anyone else. We can do it!'

meanwhile I'm like 'uhh...'

LOL, fuckin' brutal.

Starting a ranked PS4 group.

Alternatively, if there's one needing one more, invite me.

Looking to bang out the placement matches in a sitting.

i'm in & on rn. SN: res1tvih

oakenhild

Something about this game brings out the biggest amount of salt in me. Like I see the hanzo forcepicks in every game and want to gut kittens. It might be the best solution to just uninstall the game and live a better life.

Just had the guy who wouldn't switch off hanzo on control, but was complaining the whole time while we were losing. Would have been nice if he had tried a new strategy. He was proud of his 'golds' even though he didn't once help get the point.

Competitive has been rough as a solo player so far.

People need to stop fucking leaving matches. Competitive is hell because of it. One fucking asshole left after the first round of Ilios. Like, seriously dude? The first round?

I've had people leave even when we were winning during placement matches. Just ridiculous.

There's more team communication in comp, but you still get the idiot players who refuse to switch from Hanzo, Bastion & Widow when they're not even good with them.

xaosslug

also, some peeps just LITERALLY don't help in a match. I was in a match w/ one guy playing as Genji having a conversation with someone else going on about how they just stood back while we did everything else. 'They didn't need me.' he said... Yeah, we won anyway. But even still! -__-

People need to stop fucking leaving matches. Competitive is hell because of it. One fucking asshole left after the first round of Ilios. Like, seriously dude? The first round?

a lot of peeps are playing ranked w/o having any idea how it differentiates from qp, so they think it's 2 out of 3 w/ those matches. smdh

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i know that placement games aren't supposed to be balanced but is it really 'working as intended' that over half of my placement games so far their team levels have been higher than ours and that in at least two their lowest level was higher than our highest? seems like a pretty poor way to assess how good anybody is.

oakenhild

i know that placement games aren't supposed to be balanced but is it really 'working as intended' that over half of my placement games so far their team levels have been higher than ours and that in at least two their lowest level was higher than our highest? seems like a pretty poor way to assess how good anybody is.

This is pretty consistent with my experiences as well (6 completed).

I feel like Overtime should stay, but there should be a limit to how much overtime you can have. Maybe make it where each team has 45 or 60 seconds of overtime to try and keep the game going, but as soon as they run out of time, they lose.

BadRNG

For any good Mercy players here, when do you hide and let your teammates die so you can rez them, vs when do you stay on the point and heal them? I always feel like when I hide, we could have won the fight if I stayed. And when I stay and get picked off, I feel like I should have hid. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?
Not a great Mercy player, but in general I go based on the enemy comp/timing of the match/how big of a team fight is actually going on.

Most heroes ult charge at a fairly predictable rate, and you can tell when someone has or is close to having their ult. If it's a major team wipe one then I will hang back if I see them getting close. A Rein pushing very aggressively all of a sudden, Lucio dropping the beat and the team rushing, a Zarya lit up like a christmas tree who hasn't fired at will all game, etc.

It's just reads I guess, predict when the wipe is coming and get out of there so you are not a part of it. If it's just a small skirmish I am much more willing to stick around.

before they leave they should see a warning box. once they leave mid match, instant inability to join any ranked games for an hour. that should teach them.

I agree, but only for constant leavers. People who accidentally DC or have dropouts one time shouldn't be banned

X-Frame

So far I am seeing a great experience on PS4 competitive, solo too. Almost everyone is speaking and working together and hero swapping to what is needed.

Only played a handful of matches so far though.

Zemm

I can't remember the exact steps Valve using for punishing quitters but why not just copy that? There's a lot of things they can learn from Valve/CS GO tbh.

Level 1: 30 minutes
Level 2: 2 hours
Level 3: 24 hours
Level 4: 7 days

I'd change level 4 to "season" but that looks alright.

RemiLP

So far I am seeing a great experience on PS4 competitive, solo too. Almost everyone is speaking and working together and hero swapping to what is needed.

Only played a handful of matches so far though.

Competetive is out on console aswell now?

Zemm

If someone gets DC'ed then that sucks but a 30/60 minute ban is nothing, if you get DC'ed then play in Quick Play until the connection is stable, you shouldn't be going into competitive anyway if you've got a dodgy connection.

zoukka

I met a legendary Hanzo. After he got his ass handed to him by 2 Tracers he went and switched to Bastion.

Shit fucking trash game Blizzard GG.

abundant

Competetive is out on console aswell now?

It's been out on Xbox since Thursday, yesterday for the PS4.

If someone gets DC'ed then that sucks but a 30/60 minute ban is nothing, if you get DC'ed then play in Quick Play until the connection is stable, you shouldn't be going into competitive anyway if you've got a dodgy connection.

Sometimes you get DC'ed because of Blizzard servers. It's not always on the users end.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745575028#post-3

I wanted to take this opportunity to briefly explain some of the systems we have in place regarding leaves and losses in competitive play, and why they're there and why they work the way they do.

When we determine someone has quit a competitive match before the first 30 seconds of game time has completed, we note that the match is now invalid and it collapses after 30 seconds. The person who left receives BOTH a loss and a leave, while everyone else can then leave without penalty or loss.

After the first 30 seconds of game time, how we handle someone leaving a competitive match changes. After determining that someone has quit, we begin a 1 minute timer. The missing player can return during that timer, but if they do not then the remaining team members are now given a choice. Depending on the match situation when the player left, that team might want to play on since they still have a chance to win. If the situation is hopeless, we don't want to force players to stick around while the other team finishes the match. So we allow the rest of the team to quit the match without a leave penalty, but they still do receive a loss.

Why do the remaining team members still receive a loss? How is this fair? The unfortunate answer is that the alternative would be worse. We don't want to create an awful situation where players who think they're losing are now encouraged to do whatever it takes to get someone else on their team to leave. By removing any possible incentive for anyone to "tactically" leave, it also means that more matches will complete normally. When someone leaves, Overwatch is less fun to play for everyone.

To further discourage someone from leaving a match, competitive play has a different leave penalty system than a quick play game. Leaving won't simply reduce your XP gain, instead you can be suspended from playing competitive play. The time a player is suspended time increases on repeated leaves, and in extreme cases a player will earn a ban from competitive play for the current season. Banned players also forfeit any rewards granted at the end of the season.

So leavers are getting suspensions from comp play. It should be deterrence. Potentially even banned for the season. It's not bad. What does valve do?

Zemm

They should lay out the punishments exactly rather than "could" or "can". Also make it so if someone reconnects within the 60 seconds then they can still get the win if the team wins. What's the point in reconnecting if you know you're going to get a loss regardless.

Permanently A

They should lay out the punishments exactly rather than "could" or "can". Also make it so if someone reconnects within the 60 seconds then they can still get the win if the team wins. What's the point in reconnecting if you know you're going to get a loss regardless.

That's not how it works, if you reconnect you can still win. My game crashed once and we went on to get the victory after I reconnected.

Permanently A

yeah but don't you personally get credited with the loss even though you won because you dc'ed? That's what I'm talking about.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745645155

Hmm, thats really weird. I definitely disconnected, reconnected and won a game during the placement matches. I thought I remembered seeing a green checkmark but maybe I'm misremembering. If that's the case, that should definitely be fixed.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If there's going to be two snipers on my team, I'm going sniper too/

If you're going to fuck up my time, I'm going to fuck yours up.

Drewfonse

After 5 of my teammates quit, I was stuck solo vs 6 in Lijiang Tower. Literally all six of them had lined up at the entrance of the spawn, just staring at me. I gave them a quick tea bag, switched to Winston, and just started electrocuting them. Because all six of them were there, it charged my ult in seconds. They were shooting at me, but just standing there.

Busted my ult, and just started playing volleyball with them. Thankfully the game ended as my ult ran out. 5 Golds, and even a few votes from them.

Uh, yeah, quitters need a harsher penalty.

abundant

Hmm, thats really weird. I definitely disconnected, reconnected and won a game during the placement matches. I thought I remembered seeing a green checkmark but maybe I'm misremembering. If that's the case, that should definitely be fixed.

If it is true, then they need to fix that because it's complete BS if DC'ed = automatic loss, since some of the DC'ed are because of Blizzard, not the user.

For any good Mercy players here, when do you hide and let your teammates die so you can rez them, vs when do you stay on the point and heal them? I always feel like when I hide, we could have won the fight if I stayed. And when I stay and get picked off, I feel like I should have hid. Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

It's tough because there are times when it can go both ways. You need to be aware of the field, player placement and so on. At any given moment, do you have a screen full of critical players? How busy are they? Are they all critical because of a road hog going whole hog or did they just finish a fight and you should immediately heal them? Are they spaced together in a way that you can quickly switch between healing each one up out of critical and then switch? Is there a Reinhardt protecting you and the group? Did Lucio just drop the beat? He does that either out of panic or because they're about to push.

Example - http://xboxrecord.us/gamer/RealAngryMonkey/clip/821e0bf2-11ac-46f4-8428-9d0c8ddd1e36

You can't hear my teammates in this clip, but just before this went down we had wiped their team. They all returned and we knew they'd be making a push and a few of them would have their ults ready. I did my best to heal and stay out of site. Players knew where I was if they needed health. After he drops the beat I duck further behind cover and wait for it to happen then res and immediately start firing on enemies to weaken them.

Different situation. Players were weak but not because of any ults. Enemy team had already used their ults on this push. I was able to sneak around, heal a player that was almost dead allowing them to finish the weakened players. - http://xboxrecord.us/gamer/RealAngryMonkey/clip/6a4e85a3-f39a-4227-9257-346276e9c810

zoukka

If there's going to be two snipers on my team, I'm going sniper too/

If you're going to fuck up my time, I'm going to fuck yours up.

The sad thing is that those snipers won't notice/care what you play. They probably don't even have the TAB key in their keyboards.

Permanently A

It's tough because there are times when it can go both ways. You need to be aware of the field, player placement and so on. At any given moment, do you have a screen full of critical players? How busy are they? Are they all critical because of a road hog going whole hog or did they just finish a fight and you should immediately heal them? Are they spaced together in a way that you can quickly switch between healing each one up out of critical and then switch? Is there a Reinhardt protecting you and the group? Did Lucio just drop the beat? He does that either out of panic or because they're about to push.

Example - http://xboxrecord.us/gamer/RealAngryMonkey/clip/821e0bf2-11ac-46f4-8428-9d0c8ddd1e36

You can't hear my teammates in this clip, but just before this went down we had wiped their team. They all returned and we knew they'd be making a push and a few of them would have their ults ready. I did my best to heal and stay out of site. Players knew where I was if they needed health. After he drops the beat I duck further behind cover and wait for it to happen then res and immediately start firing on enemies to weaken them.

Different situation. Players were weak but not because of any ults. Enemy team had already used their ults on this push. I was able to sneak around, heal a player that was almost dead allowing them to finish the weakened players. - http://xboxrecord.us/gamer/RealAngryMonkey/clip/6a4e85a3-f39a-4227-9257-346276e9c810

Thanks for the insight, I learned a lot.

Going to stay in QP. Everything you've all said about Comp sounds bad.

I have the opposite experience, QP is now a cesspool since everyone who wants to try went to comp. Just my experience though. I would try the placement matches at least, you won't lose anything.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Going to stay in QP. Everything you've all said about Comp sounds bad.

I haven't had any issues in comp play on PS4, but I have been in a 4+ group for all my matches. We steamroll, we get steamrolled, and sometimes we have close matches, and that's probably what to expect until people start getting their actual rank.

Nazo

It's relay weird I never see anyone using the Commando 76 skin. I've seen a fair number of people use the Night Ops version but almost never the Commando. Is there some kind of tactical disadvantage with the Commando skin that I don't know about or is it just not very popular?

KoyukiNL

Neo Member
Is it possible to get into team/game chat while you're in a group on PS4? Friend and I are playing together but we want to hear if there are any other players with mics in competitive. Can't seem to get it working. When we turn group chat off it never connects to team/game chat.

It's relay weird I never see anyone using the Commando 76 skin. I've seen a fair number of people use the Night Ops version but almost never the Commando. Is there some kind of tactical disadvantage with the Commando skin that I don't know about or is it just not very popular?
It just doesn't look as cool as the Night Ops is why I don't use it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom