• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pineconn

Placed 60 after going 8-2. Every game was pleasant (except for one, with my team raging at a Widowmaker on Control... which I don't really blame them lol). Most games had multiple teammates use voice chat, which I'm not used to seeing. Hopefully my competitive games onward are like this (I'm sure they won't be).

Placed 60 after going 8-2. Every game was pleasant (except for one, with my team raging at a Widowmaker on Control... which I don't really blame them lol). Most games had multiple teammates use voice chat, which I'm not used to seeing. Hopefully my competitive games onward are like this (I'm sure they won't be).
What were you playing on?

jHoyHXR.png

duckroll

I'm seriously so fucking mad right now. Never felt so mad playing Overwatch until today. Started off really well. Had fun matches in the evening. Had more fun matches after dinner. Lots of friends online. We even managed to get 6 people in our group and had more friends hopping on so much so that one of them ended up on the other team. When people left there was always someone replacing the slot.

Then.... somehow we ended up in a string of tough games which got more and more toxic. Friends started arguing with each other. Tactics being argued. Nothing works. I felt like any pick I made was totally useless. They would shut down anything we tried. Raged so fucking hard. Help. :(

R0ckman

What is weird to me, even in shutdown matches the teams dont seem that hard, a lot of the times I can pull of non-ult multi kills, but they will sucessfully be able to quickly shudown my entire team in seconds. I dont understand how this happens so much.

Beartruck

I had a teammate leave, so the game told me I could leave without penalty. So I figure, thanks, that's fair, and I leave. Guess what, that counts as a loss. What the fuck game? A loss seems like a penalty to me.

Nazo

What is weird to me, even in shutdown matches the teams dont seem that hard, a lot of the times I can pull of non-ult multi kills, but they will sucessfully be able to quickly shudown my entire team in seconds. I dont understand how this happens so much.

It's simple really. The vast majority of players are just really REALLY awful.

Davidion

Tried soloing all but one of my comp qualifiers and it went pretty terrible. My overall performance was mediocre, and between the occasional nonsensical hanzo/torb usage and getting rolled by noticeably coordinated enemy teams, my rating was just in the crapper.

Oddly enough, I ended up in a comp game after where the team atmosphere was friendly because our rating was low, in a support group kind of way. Small wins. Hahaha.

Well, back to 47.

Has anyone had a Volskaya map go to 5-5 sudden death?

I did, and we won cause we attacked first.

Jeez that was rough.

I had a teammate leave, so the game told me I could leave without penalty. So I figure, thanks, that's fair, and I leave. Guess what, that counts as a loss. What the fuck game? A loss seems like a penalty to me.

The "penalty" is the XP per match decrease and the matchmaking temp ban. Not the MMR loss.

So it sucks either way lol.

Moonkeis

How much effect does the damage buff from mercy have?

Is it worth the risk to use it over healing sometimes?

I swap back and forth all the time but it depends on the situation. My priority is to always keep the team topped off before damage boosting.

Prelude.

Lost a competitive KotH match and had someone in my team (of randoms) complaining publicly that we lost because we got unlucky since one of our teammates was 6-7 levels lower than ours. So I stood up for him and said that it wasn't his fault since that number doesn't mean he's worse than us, and got called an idiot and a retard, lol.

bakeray

anyone want to try and get a competitive group going today on NA? I'm tired of solo queuing, it's not going very well, and i want to grind back to 50. Currently sitting at about 44/45.

add me if so: bak3ray#1515

Gurrry

You get a loss but not a loss of rank as far as I understand. Which seems totally broken. If you stay, youre fucked, if you leave, youre fucked. This has got to be addressed.

Beartruck

I've seen more matchquitting in 10 rounds of this than I have in 20 hours of regular play. People know that matchquitting only screws over everyone, right?

I've seen more matchquitting in 10 rounds of this than I have in 20 hours of regular play. People know that matchquitting only screws over everyone, right?

I'm beginning to wonder if the longer matches in competitive are leading people to believe that even the penalties are worth it if it means they don't feel like they wasted the next half hour on a bad match. Having been on the same team as a bunch of leavers, it really sucks when you put a bunch of time into a match only to have it invalidated by some assholes. I wonder if others feel the same way and see it as a perverse incentive to leave more games, not fewer.

Of course, there's the general perverse incentive not to play competitive because you almost always lose rank as opposed to gaining it, so there's that too.

edgefusion

Competitive mode is an absolute joke on console without the Torbjorn nerf. Exactly the same as quickly play. On defence? Torbjorn. Attacking? Lose. What are they thinking?

when your team wants a rein and no one else wants to play rein and i pick rein knowing full well i don't know how to play and I'm sure once shield breaks its over.

Zemm

If both teams keep winning you can end up playing 7 rounds on the Russian map, literally hell. Even if you win, you lose. Just patch in stopwatch mode already, how hard can it be.

I feel like Overtime should stay, but there should be a limit to how much overtime you can have. Maybe make it where each team has 45 or 60 seconds of overtime to try and keep the game going, but as soon as they run out of time, they lose.

This would be much better. You shouldn't be able to keep extending OT by stepping one foot on the point for .10 of a second.

"I have 47 hours on Zarya, you should switch to a support."

Proceeds to fail to solo reapers that are 3 feet in front of them, whiffs every ult, and never shields me while I'm healing them.

We won, but boy did I want to tell that guy off.

Roubjon

I started competitive on PS4 today and the 5 rounds I played were by far some of the best matches I've ever had in the game so far. Maybe I've been lucky, but it's like both teams were consistently playing as well as they possibly could and it was always so intense. So far I've won 3 and lost 2.

Blues1990

Yes, but I think his biggest issue right now is the way his orbs work. They should increase the timeout limit to, ideally, 10 seconds, 3 are way too low to do anything useful and it forces him to constantly peek at enemies when he has no health and mobility.
His role is concepually a bit weird, he's kind of a sniper so he can stay away from the enemy in the back lines, but the line of sight mechanic makes him follow people and enemies to keep the orbs on and the bad health/mobility works against that. Additionally, his ult positions him right in the center of the team, and inevitably exposes him to the enemy as soon as he's done. He's just not efficient at all. In my opinion they should rethink his orbs and increase his mobility so he can actually get the fuck out when he needs to.

Readjusting his orbs & increasing his mobility options would be the best compromise. I want to play Zenyatta more, but a caterpillar with wooden legs can out run him, and like you said, he's a sitting duck once his ultimate chimes out.

Beartruck

Ugh, got my 10 placement matches done. My rank is 46. Thanks ragequitting teammates. At least the skill level is fixed now so I can crawl my way back up to where I actually should be.

I started competitive on PS4 today and the 5 rounds I played were by far some of the best matches I've ever had in the game so far. Maybe I've been lucky, but it's like both teams were consistently playing as well as they possibly could and it was always so intense. So far I've won 3 and lost 2.
I had a similar experience with my placement matches. Every match was insanely fun. Probably helps that I was playing with a friend and we were constantly doing callouts and working together (Reinhardt+Soldier is the ultimate combo) and it was a total blast. I don't know how it is on the other platforms, but at least on PS4 enough players were working together to make it a fun time.

The only problem I had was the sudden death. I went 6-4, but could've have easily went 8-2 if I wasn't screwed by sudden death. Both matches, I was on a team that was clearly better on defense, or vice versa, and it gave us the other side, leading to an instant loss, it sucks. On the hybrid mode, it should take into account the little checkpoints to decide who wins. Say, getting the first third gives you point, second third gives you another point, and capturing it nets you 3 total points. Had a match on Kings Row where they didn't make any progress on the point, but we managed to capture a third of the point, but that doesn't matter so we went to sudden death and lost -___-

Finally got my first PotG as Lucio. Managed to knock off two enemies in one shot on Lijang Tower. So happy to finally use that animation I got.

Also got a PotG as Symmetra where I was chasing down a Zarya who was so shook by me coming straight at her that she walked backwards right off the edge of a cliff. I feel bad for the other player since that was featured for everyone to see, but they ended up winning the match, so I'm sure that took the sting off a little.

Just promoted past level 100, and my stress levels are much less now that I've stuck only to quick play for solo queue. Still have about 50% W/L, but since it doesn't really "matter" I tend to let the losses roll off my back, Maybe at some point I'll try to group up and try competitive again, but right now I'm fine just playing casual.

X-Frame

So your MMR or Skill rating gain if you win when someone leaves on the other team gets nerfed by like 80% after a game?

That seems excessive.

aeolist

Banned
so pharah is obviously really good right now but i'm also starting to feel like zarya is secretly OP

she is currently my best fallback pick when nothing else works or seems good

rank just keep going down. paring with fresh people makes it a little tougher for me to rank up. RIP

also can't rein when there's not enough people behind me to damage people.

Did 2 matches of competitive on PS4 last night solo and my team won both easily. I feel like I just got lucky and played against some bad teams. In the second match I was 1v1-ing Reapers as Lucio and winning which obviously shouldn't happen. Healed 45% team damage as well which is I think my best so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom