• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Range

Anyone else have. Much better experience with competitive as soon as they got out of placement matches? Its like i escaped hell to the land of competence.

People in this game can be so bitchy. We had two Genjis on our team and we weren't able to move the payload any, so I asked if one of them would change.

"the two of us are the only ones I've seen actually playing the fucking game"

Well ok. I wasn't trying to be a dick or anything, I just wanted another character that actually stayed on the payload.

People in this game can be so bitchy. We had two Genjis on our team and we weren't able to move the payload any, so I asked if one of them would change.

"the two of us are the only ones I've seen actually playing the fucking game"

Well ok. I wasn't trying to be a dick or anything, I just wanted another character that actually stayed on the payload.

love those type of players lol

Anyone else have. Much better experience with competitive as soon as they got out of placement matches? Its like i escaped hell to the land of competence.

I'd say it got much better, but that's not to say it's been good. Six of us did our placement matches together and the matches felt like total bullshit. Lost 9 out of 10, and not one of the losses felt like it was anywhere near close. In fact we felt like quick-play with its randomness was more fair than those craptastic placement matches.

Got punted out of placement matches into rank 36. I played some last night and made it up to 40, but then got slapped back down again due to leavers and being put up against teams that were filled with people clearly nowhere near the rank they were supposedly placed as.

From just the one night of solo queuing in competitive (none of my former friends are playing now, because of those shit placement matches), I'd say I encountered slightly more "fair" matches than I would have normally had before, but also got punished because of leavers, and still ran into people that had no business being in anything less than a pro-league tournament and certainly not in a game stomping my face in. I also had at least one person that was naturally on my team which should probably have been like rank 10, either that or they were trolling with how bad they were (played Genji and Hanzo of course).

So far, not impressed. I'll give it a bit longer to see if it improves but my interest is already waning. Doesn't help the people I was grouping with are hardly playing now because they have too much salt in their diet. I'm not as salty because I expected to suck because at my best I am just pretty average, and only get rare instances of being "good". I peak pretty quickly in games skill-wise.

Why is it zarya's fault zarya isn't winning 1v1s against reapers?

If a Reaper is that close and you've got shield up and anywhere close to 30 charge, it's no contest. Like Zarya can easily handle McCree / Tracer / Reaper, provided she doesn't get flashbanged by McCree.

If you've got a mercy backing you up and damage boosting / healing you, it's laughable when you can't kill a solo hero.

I've done it plenty of times and it's not that difficult. I just found it funny that the guy was claiming his playtime meant he had any level of skill.

#Oversalt.

RemiLP

winston shouldn't be on the point unless it's a last resort hold, he needs to be chasing people around and keeping snipers and flankers from wiping his team

hmm,maybe thats why im having the most trouble with playing him against controll points...

I like to play him on payload, where i can jump behind the enemies and pick off the snipers and low health enemies.

On maps where u need to take a point, i usually jump in behind the enemies and get on the point so that my team can push through the choke point. But it dont always work, and i die alot :p is that a bad strategy?

Jarate

Banned
2jY72OL.jpg

As someone who's been playing a lot of Zarya recently, reaper is only a problem when youre teammates aren't around/when you dont have a bubble cause you can still get 3 shot by a reaper. Tracer doesnt die, so she's your direct counter in almost every single situation

Ketch

! Yes!

Went 3/6 in placements. Finished 41 and have been undefeated since getting like 30 Elims per match bulldozering whole teams. Even won a 5v6 on hanamura!

J Range

I'd say it got much better, but that's not to say it's been good. Six of us did our placement matches together and the matches felt like total bullshit. Lost 9 out of 10, and not one of the losses felt like it was anywhere near close. In fact we felt like quick-play with its randomness was more fair than those craptastic placement matches.

Got punted out of placement matches into rank 36. I played some last night and made it up to 40, but then got slapped back down again due to leavers and being put up against teams that were filled with people clearly nowhere near the rank they were supposedly placed as.

From just the one night of solo queuing in competitive (none of my former friends are playing now, because of those shit placement matches), I'd say I encountered slightly more "fair" matches than I would have normally had before, but also got punished because of leavers, and still ran into people that had no business being in anything less than a pro-league tournament and certainly not in a game stomping my face in. I also had at least one person that was naturally on my team which should probably have been like rank 10, either that or they were trolling with how bad they were (played Genji and Hanzo of course).

So far, not impressed. I'll give it a bit longer to see if it improves but my interest is already waning. Doesn't help the people I was grouping with are hardly playing now because they have too much salt in their diet. I'm not as salty because I expected to suck because at my best I am just pretty average, and only get rare instances of being "good". I peak pretty quickly in games skill-wise.

I got placed at 50, from what ive read on this thread it seem like getting placed in the 30's is pretty rough, so that sucks man.

The play around 50 seems pretty great to me

Jarate

Banned
also, just remember with the competitive queue that there's a lot of statistical randomness since 10 matches is technically not a good sample size for a "rating" so people will inevitably get lucky and unlucky with teammates and get ranked higher or lower depending on that luck/lack of luck

2 weeks or so, everything should work a lot better

We just got the competitive mode on ps4 yesterday and I went 5-1, hoping to finish off the queue in the next couple of days or so.

X-Frame

So many quitters! Not one on a team of mine yet, it's all been the other team. Very annoying.

Hopefully all the leavers weed themselves out of the pool after a week.

aeolist

Banned
hmm,maybe thats why im having the most trouble with playing him against controll points...

I like to play him on payload, where i can jump behind the enemies and pick off the snipers and low health enemies.

On maps where u need to take a point, i usually jump in behind the enemies and get on the point so that my team can push through the choke point. But it dont always work, and i die alot :p is that a bad strategy?

a good rule of thumb is if you're dying a lot you're playing wrong.

winston's great on koth because he can be everywhere at once and his ult is so disruptive, also since squishy mobile attackers like genji and tracer are so popular on them. just avoid jumping into groups unless you've got teammates following up immediately because you can still die quickly.

Is competitive out on PS4 now? Dang, I'm away for the weekend, won't be back until Tuesday. Hopefully there will be some GAFers still needing to do placement matches then.

Shouta

rank just keep going down. paring with fresh people makes it a little tougher for me to rank up. RIP

also can't rein when there's not enough people behind me to damage people.

Welcome to my world. I play Rein and I never get anyone behind me that can deal the damage that makes it worth it for me to play him. Or worse off, they let random opponents on the enemy team get the drop on us to wipe us out. It's really frustrating and why I really don't want to play Tank despite enjoying it. This is especially true in Competitive.

Eric WK

Is competitive out on PS4 now? Dang, I'm away for the weekend, won't be back until Tuesday. Hopefully there will be some GAFers still needing to do placement matches then.

There's no reason or advantage to doing placement matches with other people who haven't completed them.

Looking to make a team to play ranked on PS4 if anyone's interested. I have one other GAFer with me, so we're looking for 4 more.

PSN's the same as my username, just add me if you want to team up.

Satch

Banned
like reaper gets picked whether there are multiple tanks or not because he can eat everyone and he arbitrarily has 50 more hp than any other dps hero and gets a free escape every six seconds and can lifesteal from every kill

corny

Danj

Ive been watching a few high level groups and they get matched with groups 20 levels below them because no-one is in their elo, they obviously stomp.

For such a big rank difference they really ought to reduce the amount of rank you lose for losing to them.

like reaper gets picked whether there are multiple tanks or not because he can eat everyone and he arbitrarily has 50 more hp than any other dps hero and gets a free escape every six seconds and can lifesteal from every kill

corny
The reason he kills tanks so fast is because they are large targets, so all of his shotgun pellets will easily hit them. The other characters are much harder to kill. If a reaper is eating up the rest of your team, it just means he's a plain good reaper.

There's no reason or advantage to doing placement matches with other people who haven't completed them.

Oh, so you can play a placement match with people who have already done their 10? For some reason I thought placement matches were only for people who had no rank yet.

abundant

Oh, so you can play a placement match with people who have already done their 10? For some reason I thought placement matches were only for people who had no rank yet.

Correct. Placement matches are just your first 10 matches in Competitive Mode. They can be played with anyone.

attack king's row. when rein says group up with him. follow him and spam behind and then he decides to just keep dropping shield and charge. like why.

abundant

attack king's row. when rein says group up with him. follow him and spam behind and then he decides to just keep dropping shield and charge. like why.

People are trying to be aggressive Reinhardts, because when it works well, you destroy the other team. The problem is that it rarely works.

chur

Got up to 60 and lost it the next match. Took some time to get back to it. Do you get less XP from a win if the other team quits?

Group play is overrated. Don't get me wrong if you can get 5 people who you know are good and will be communicating the whole time it's great. But just doing a random LFG is less successful than playing solo, even if they use mics and care about team comps. If you're in a group of 6 you will probably be matched against a team of 6, and if one of the dudes on your team decides to invite his cousin to the group who has no idea How to play then you will lose 8 out of every 10 games.

X-Frame

Got up to 60 and lost it the next match. Took some time to get back to it. Do you get less XP from a win if the other team quits?

Yeah you seem to get capped at like 1/10th of the XP if an enemy player leaves, despite how well you and/or your team did or how long the match was or how much game time passed until they left.

I don't like that at all. As someone as someone leaves it fucks the other 11 people instantly. Leaving intentionally should be penalized more harshly. It's rampant on PS4 right now, though Competitive hasn't been live for even 24 hours yet.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah you seem to get capped at like 1/10th of the XP if an enemy player leaves, despite how well you and/or your team did or how long the match was or how much game time passed until they left.

I don't like that at all. As someone as someone leaves it fucks the other 11 people instantly. Leaving intentionally should be penalized more harshly. It's rampant on PS4 right now, though Competitive hasn't been live for even 24 hours yet.
I see many games where exactly 1 person on the losing team disconnects just before scoring. I'm wondering if they're trying to force us to gain less points by doing that, or if it's legal to leave then.

On koth maps, why is it best out of 4? Why not 3? If you goup 2-0 you should win
It's best 3 out of 5.

J Range

Id be cool with a season ban from competitive if you leave a game mid match 3-5 times.

duckroll

Tank busters in this game are kinda shitty

if they can kill a tank in 2-4 hits they can kill everyone else in less, its kinda corny

corny

Destroyed a 5 Reaper team the other day. Regularly win games against teams with 2 reapers. You know why? Because this isn't a TDM game. A character can be good at killing but that doesn't mean much when there are tons if other ways to shut them down. It can be really annoying to be targeted by a reaper sometimes, but the satisfaction is in knowing that even if he gets POTG, his team still lost.

Blizzard

Banned
Id be cool with a season ban from competitive if you leave a game mid match 3-5 times.
If Blizzard adds disconnection / loss forgiveness, maybe. Otherwise a couple of server problems and you've got yourself a season ban. I've gotten a leaver penalty purely from repeated server autokicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom