• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

abundant

On koth maps, why is it best out of 4? Why not 3? If you goup 2-0 you should win

First, it's best out of 5 and it's only for Competitive Mode. Secondly, just because you won two games doesn't mean the other team can't catch up. Last night we played a KOTH match where we were up 2-1. The other team won the next 2 rounds, winning the match.

Zemm

Got up to 60 and lost it the next match. Took some time to get back to it. Do you get less XP from a win if the other team quits?

Yep, someone said like 80% less which is what it looks like to me too. Some horseshit that you don't get full xp.

Blizzard

Banned
For such a big rank difference they really ought to reduce the amount of rank you lose for losing to them.
I assume you do. That's normally how elo systems work if one side is heavily favored. I played with a friend doing placements who got placed 10 levels below me, and we won super easily. I gained hardly any points from it, maybe 1/5 of a level. Normally I gain maybe 1/2 to 1 level. (Unless this was a total coincidence and someone left right before scoring or something.)

Yeah comp is a fucking joke in its current state. Just going to stick to quick play until Blizzard decides to make the game fair.

Also there needs to be separate queues for solo and group.
First off, a quick note about solo / group -- there was vocal support in League of Legends for a solo-only queue, and I wanted it, but in the end Riot decided not to do it. Since Blizzard started out without it I suspect it's dynamic forever and we'll just have to deal with it.

I've played almost 70 competitive queue games now and I really don't think the bolded is the case. I've played solo and in different sized groups. On average, the matchmaking tends to be pretty fair.

As with any small-team game like MOBA, there will be people complaining about individual games, or complaining that they're better than all their teammates and deserve better. If they've played 50 competitive queue games and are still the same rank, I simply doubt they're truly as good as they think -- it'd be like me suggesting I'm platinum level in League, and just held down by "elo hell" or something, despite 400+ games in silver.

There will be people complaining about the other teams being better than their own -- confirmation bias, ignoring the statistical unlikelihood of this and the fact that they can control their own influence.

Most importantly, there will be games that are almost certainly unwinnable. Unless you're playing a singleplayer game, this is the case with most competitive games. You can have varying degrees of influence in varying games, but if you want to be able to 100% determine your own destiny, I don't think multiplayer games are the place for that. One has to be able to accept unwinnable games and move on without tilting heavily.

Despite all of the above, and despite the occasional bad games, I'm seeing matchmaking working on PC on average. When I played with my friend who was doing placements about 10 levels below me, the match was comical and we totally stopped the payload. When I played with my friends who are about 10 levels above me, the enemy teams had some terrifying players, and it was a lot of stressful work to win.

To me, that suggests skill levels are roughly working as intended.

Soma

holy crap. just had my first placement match and played without a 6th person for 90% of the match

and still managed to win after a hard-fought battle.

i feel so victorious yet so drained. and i gotta do this 9 more times?

J Range

If Blizzard adds disconnection / loss forgiveness, maybe. Otherwise a couple of server problems and you've got yourself a season ban. I've gotten a leaver penalty purely from repeated server autokicks.

I feel like it shouldnt be too hard to tell whose doing it on purpose and whose getting dced. Just by looking at the correlation between losing/playing bad and quitting i think its point to the onvious more times than not.

Blizzard

Banned
I feel like it shouldnt be too hard to tell whose doing it on purpose and whose getting dced. Just by looking at the correlation between losing/playing bad and quitting i think its point to the onvious more times than not.
They SHOULD be able to, but since they currently don't discriminate between accidentally disconnecting during setup and accidentally disconnecting during the game, I'd like to see some proof they do. :p

holy crap. just had my first placement match and played without a 6th person for 90% of the match

and still managed to win after a hard-fought battle.

i feel so victorious yet so drained. and i gotta do this 9 more times?

Lol, my last match was Hanamura which we won 4-3 after the coin toss, I was mentally wrecked and had to log off. The match before that was Anubis so 2 games took about an hr :d

chur

Yeah you seem to get capped at like 1/10th of the XP if an enemy player leaves, despite how well you and/or your team did or how long the match was or how much game time passed until they left.

I don't like that at all. As someone as someone leaves it fucks the other 11 people instantly. Leaving intentionally should be penalized more harshly. It's rampant on PS4 right now, though Competitive hasn't been live for even 24 hours yet.
Yeah that's about the amount of XP I was getting. Hopefully they change that.

abundant

Lol, my last match was Hanamura which we won 4-3 after the coin toss, I was mentally wrecked and had to log off. The match before that was Anubis so 2 games took about an hr :d

That's what I noticed most when playing last night. Playing a tense game in Competitive Mode can be stressful, especially compared to Quick Play.

Seems people are having a lot better experiences with competitive than I am, My matches in solo queue have invariably been:

Offense: Defense runs some combination of Bastions and Torbjorns, with a Reinhardt to shield, and while I try my best to pick counters, the rest of the team except for maybe one other just sticks with the same characters and feed the enemy team ult charge all day long. So even when I manage to break through and take out one of the enemy's defenses, invariably I hear "Molten Core!" or Bastion's triumphant whistle, and it's back to the spawn room.

Defense: Despite seeing these exact same tricks slaughter us on the other side, my team never runs any turrets or Reinhardt. I know that a skilled team can break through this defense with good coordination, but my teammates never even try to use the exact same tactics that destroyed them a minute ago, and instead I see Hanzos, Widowmakers, and Soldier: 76s a-plenty.

King of the Hill: Nobody ever picks Lucio. I give up and pick him, and help my team rush to the checkpoint so they can die over and over again.

So, yeah, no more competitive for a while, until I can get a reliable group together.

Blizzard

Banned
Seems people are having a lot better experiences with competitive than I am, My matches in solo queue have invariably been:

Offense: Defense runs some combination of Bastions and Torbjorns, with a Reinhardt to shield, and while I try my best to pick counters, the rest of the team except for maybe one other just sticks with the same characters and feed the enemy team ult charge all day long. So even when I manage to break through and take out one of the enemy's defenses, invariably I hear "Molten Core!" or Bastion's triumphant whistle, and it's back to the spawn room.

Defense: Despite seeing these exact same tricks slaughter us on the other side, my team never runs any turrets or Reinhardt. I know that a skilled team can break through this defense with good coordination, but my teammates never even try to use the exact same tactics that destroyed them a minute ago, and instead I see Hanzos, Widowmakers, and Soldier: 76s a-plenty.

King of the Hill: Nobody ever picks Lucio. I give up and pick him, and help my team rush to the checkpoint so they can die over and over again.

So, yeah, no more competitive for a while, until I can get a reliable group together.
PC or console? What level are you playing at? 45-48, I specifically see these things out of almost 70 PC games:

• Widowmaker is SUPER rare.
  • Lucio is SUPER common, especially on KOTH, typically one on each side. Lucio + Mercy is also common.
  • Side note, McCree happens but is RARE. The nerf pretty much destroyed him, sadly. Weren't some people wanting his flashbang nerfed too? That would have been nuts.

Went 8-2 in my competitive qualifiers, but I'm a little annoyed I couldn't get 10-0.

My team was throwing a hissy fit over me going Lucio when we already had a Zenyata, so I couldn't play my main. Go figure, the Zenyata pretty much never uses Restore Orb and we get bodied round 1, forcing me to swap to guess who? The other match we had a Pharah who didn't use jet pack once lol.

This competitve mode is gonna make me very salty.

Placed 62 on PS4

Finished my solo q placement matches got 38.

Who dares to post that their rank is lower than mine.

LOL you suck. I got 33; get on my level.

Went 8-2 in my competitive qualifiers, but I'm a little annoyed I couldn't get 10-0.

My team was throwing a hissy fit over me going Lucio when we already had a Zenyata, so I couldn't play my main. Go figure, the Zenyata pretty much never uses Restore Orb and we get bodied round 1, forcing me to swap to guess who? The other match we had a Pharah who didn't use jet pack once lol.

Typical low MMR idiots. They also think that one healer and one tank is sufficient; it is more of a "we only have two scapegoats who won't enjoy offense characters". Also, the Hanzo+Mei+Torb+Symmetra combo is really common on low MMR defense. Seriously, that team is a free steamroll.

PC or console? What level are you playing at? 45-48, I specifically see these things out of almost 70 PC games:

• Lucio is SUPER common, especially on KOTH, typically one on each side. Lucio + Mercy is also common.
  • Side note, McCree happens but is RARE. The nerf pretty much destroyed him, sadly. Weren't some people wanting his flashbang nerfed too? That would have been nuts.

Yeah, just must be my bad luck, although to be fair it's usually a lot more Hanzos than Widowmakers. But still, we'll be on the last two minutes to push a payload before a loss, and inevitably there will be a sniper still plinking away from nowhere near the objective. I'm sure I'm not unique in that regard, but I've lost track of how many times I've yelled, "THE PAYLOAD IS RIGHT THERE! GET ON IT... never mind, we lose." Things like that are the reason I don't use a headset with random teams; I really don't want to be that asshole.

And yeah, I haven't seen a lot of McCrees either. Sounds like the nerfs may have been too much. Soldier 76 and Hanzo are now the two go-tos for "I pick this character immediately at the start of the match and will never, ever switch, even when it's obviously not working out," at least in my experience.

abundant

When will people learn that double support, especially if it is Mercy+ Lucio, is one of the best ways to play the game?

Blizzard

Banned
When I see someone select Mercy, and I decide to jump into Lucio, 5 seconds later the Mercy player switches to Reaper...
...then you politely type in chat, "You don't have to switch; can we try Mercy + Lucio?"

They may not agree, but you might as well try!

Got my first Mercy POTG with a double revive and killing the Junkrat. Felt real good. It helped win the game too. Felt even better. Starting to climb the ranks, every win gives me one whole rank point, which is nice. Currently sitting at 54, but I definitely know I can get higher. It feels good playing the game with a real goal. Wins feel much more satisfying in ranked, and losses are heartbreaking, and I like that the game makes me feel that way, it means it's working.

Sudden Death is still a bitch though, really sucks that we have to deal with that for the whole season. Hopefully they replace it with stopwatch or just any better system, which can't be that hard to do lol.

So my placement was 54 and I just won another game that bumped me to 55. Should I keep playing? Will I get a better reward at the end of the season with my ranking? I really don't wanna suddenly go on a losing spree and end up at the bottom lol

So my placement was 54 and I just won another game that bumped me to 55. Should I keep playing? Will I get a better reward at the end of the season with my ranking? I really don't wanna suddenly go on a losing spree and end up at the bottom lol
Blizzard hasn't given exact numbers yet, but you should be getting a bunch of competitive points at the end of the season based on your rank. So it's up to you if you want to keep trying to go up or stay where you're at.

aeolist

Banned

i play a good amount of mccree and he's still strong but you need to be able to hit his normal shots which most can't

i mostly pick him when a pharah or genji are running over my team and he works well

Auctopus

Won 4 placement matches in a row and the last one managed to defend the final payload checkpoint for 5 straight minutes, absolute blast.

Zemm

53% win rate today in a duo queue and I've gone down 1 rank

Fucked by the coin toss and quitters today, fun stuff.

X-Frame

Id be cool with a season ban from competitive if you leave a game mid match 3-5 times.

If Blizzard adds disconnection / loss forgiveness, maybe. Otherwise a couple of server problems and you've got yourself a season ban. I've gotten a leaver penalty purely from repeated server autokicks.

Is it difficult for them to determine if a leave was due to a disconnect vs. intentionally hitting the Leave Game? Or even if there is a way to distinguish between a legal disconnect vs. a hard restart/shutdown of the PC/console?

If they could do that then I agree that intentional leaving should be punished more than it is now.

Alex

I feel like the Mccree nerf should have been a ramp up sort of deal. Something where the first few hits do the old damage and start to trail off. Keeps his instant lethality against squishies but doesn't let him tear apart tanks as hard.

Gorillaz

Dumb question HOWEVER I wanted to check here and get it right

solo queue or going in group doesn't matter when it comes to competitive right? like what I do solo won't mess up when Im grouped up? Are they basically on 2 different wavelengths?

Finished my placement matches today, ended up at 37 after going 2-8. (Xbox One)

First 5 matches I was in a group of 5, ended up going 1-4. We simply got outplayed, they were fairly even matches that we simply didn't win. Nothing really to complain about.

I did the last 5 as solo queue and went 1-4. Good god, the team comps were unbearable. For example, we load into Volskaya Industries, starting on defense. We actually manage to completely defend A, so all we need to do is cap A on offense to get the win. My offensive team picks Torb, Torb, Bastion, Reaper, Hanzo. I start as Pharah, assuming they will have a Torb/Bastion and I can try to take them out, but knowing that if I'm not able to, I'll switch to Mercy/Lucio to help keep my team alive. Reaper just kept running straight down the middle and got mowed down repeatedly. Our Hanzo kept ult-ing straight down the middle, even though we can clearly tell their Torb and Bastion are off to the side. We end up not even getting close to capping A, and it goes to sudden death. We coin flip and get attack. My team picks the same composition.

Look, I'm no pro at the game. If anything, I'm average or a little below. But how can you be level 50-70 and not know how to make a team to attack on Volskaya? How?! I don't expect perfect team compositions if I'm rolling in as a solo queuer, but I do expect at the very least a somewhat reasonable comp, or at least people willing to switch if something clearly isn't working.

X-Frame

Dumb question HOWEVER I wanted to check here and get it right

solo queue or going in group doesn't matter when it comes to competitive right? like what I do solo won't mess up when Im grouped up? Are they basically on 2 different wavelengths?

I'd like to know this too.

For example, if I am 50 and a friend is 40 -- what sort of skill rating average would I see in a game? 45?

If 45, then if we lose that game I will take a HUGE skill rating hit whereas my friend who is 40 will barely take a hit. Is that true?

Essentially, does this punish Group Play if people in the group have very different skill ratings?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think it's relative to the other group's aggregate. 50 and 40 will be 45 average, yes, but this is compared to the other team who might have 45 and 45, which will be 45 average still. How much of a rank you go up or down probably depends on the aggregate, not on your individual rank.

If a Reaper is that close and you've got shield up and anywhere close to 30 charge, it's no contest. Like Zarya can easily handle McCree / Tracer / Reaper, provided she doesn't get flashbanged by McCree.

If you've got a mercy backing you up and damage boosting / healing you, it's laughable when you can't kill a solo hero.

I've done it plenty of times and it's not that difficult. I just found it funny that the guy was claiming his playtime meant he had any level of skill.

#Oversalt.

No... those 3 are either favored or equal to zarya in a 1v1. Reaper is actually quite strong against zarya.

Besides, if you were healing him that's a 2v1 scenario. And yet reaper can still drop 400 hp like it's nothing (3 shots, 2 shots per second), even with healing support. And if her cooldown happens to be down, it's lights out. I think zarya + mercy helps shift the odd a bit, but it's hard to say how much since his optimal damage output exceeds mercy's by a mile.

Maybe you play against bad reapers? He is a tank buster up close and he eats through 600 hp roadhogs fast enough that zarya even with bubble in a real 1v1 scenario is probably going to lose. And when she wins it likely just means reaper went wraith form to go grab a heal and come back to repeat the cycle.

Satch

Banned
Destroyed a 5 Reaper team the other day. Regularly win games against teams with 2 reapers. You know why? Because this isn't a TDM game. A character can be good at killing but that doesn't mean much when there are tons if other ways to shut them down. It can be really annoying to be targeted by a reaper sometimes, but the satisfaction is in knowing that even if he gets POTG, his team still lost.
I beat reapers too

hes still corny

KyleP29

Is it difficult for them to determine if a leave was due to a disconnect vs. intentionally hitting the Leave Game? Or even if there is a way to distinguish between a legal disconnect vs. a hard restart/shutdown of the PC/console?

If they could do that then I agree that intentional leaving should be punished more than it is now.

Well when leaving a match you are warned before hand and have confirm you wish to leave despite the consequences. While not full proof id imagine there is some way they can confirm quitters as those whose accepted that and those who didn't but quit because of a disconnect.

Doesn't stop quitters from closing the game out completely to avoid that, but that i think it would get rid of a lot of the instant rage quitters.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Okay, this is my salty moment.

Temple of Anubis, competitive, we're on Attack. One guy goes Symmetra. Already, don't approve.

We start getting crushed. The Symmetra switched to FUCKING HANZO. 30 seconds later, another on our team SWITCHES TO FUCKING WIDOWMAKER.

FUCK. THIS.

They keep track of your career high and season high, so I say go for it. Even if it's all downhill from here.

Okay, this is my salty moment.

Temple of Anubis, competitive, we're on Attack. One guy goes Symmetra. Already, don't approve.

We start getting crushed. The Symmetra switched to FUCKING HANZO. 30 seconds later, another on our team SWITCHES TO FUCKING WIDOWMAKER.

FUCK. THIS.

Sometimes fighting the insanity is like pushing against the tide. You may as well stop or it'll take you in.

Man comp mode is draining. I can only play max two matches before I have to turn the game off. It's weird cause I really like this game, but I don't want to play it at the same time. Losing is brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom