• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prelude.

"Hey, we lost this Hollywood attack because no one picked a sniper/Genji to take out Torb and Bastion so let's do that for the sudden death"
"Ok."
*someone picks Widow*
Some random dude 20 seconds later: "wtf, sniper? there's no time"
*switches Widow for Zenyatta*

We lost.

"Hey, we lost this Hollywood attack because no one picked a sniper/Genji to take out Torb and Bastion so let's do that for the sudden death"
"Ok."
*someone picks Widow*
Some random dude 20 seconds later: "wtf, sniper? there's no time"
*switches Widow for Zenyatta*

We lost.

Pharah is a much better attack pick to counter torb than either widow or genji. Zenyatta is about the same strength towards torb counters as widow and genji imo.

With a 1:45 second attack time, he probably is right about sniper (unless you got a top sniper on your team). On attack you, you often need someone who can brawl mid/close range as well as snipe turrets/torb. Pharah can do that.

Prelude.

Pharah is a much better attack pick to counter torb than either widow or genji. Zenyatta is about the same strength towards torb counters as widow and genji imo.

With a 1:45 second attack time, he probably is right about sniper (unless you got a top sniper on your team). On attack you, you often need someone who can brawl mid/close range as well as snipe turrets/torb. Pharah can do that.
There was a Bastion as well, our Pharah couldn't do anything without getting shot down in a second.

Blizzard

Banned
A glitched trophy finally popped for me. Too bad i had an embarrassing play of the game as torb...
The funniest one I've had was the D.Va one where I ulted at the end and I guess the walls unloaded, giving me a quintuple kill.

The highlight just showed the first part of it, and went to a completely empty part of the map looking out a window for the rest. Is there an easy way to upload highlights?

What is the fucking point of a safe to leave system in ranked if I still get a fucking loss?
It means you don't get marked as a leaver for an additional penalty.

Blizzard might be concerned that otherwise, every losing game would be filled with people screaming at the weakest link person to leave so they don't lose rank. Any loss, people would try to harass someone into quitting.

Vol5

So got my first placement. 50. The play level seems to have definitely gone up. Some of the games are now edge of the seat type stuff...when I thought this game couldn't get any better it somehow does.

Swapzism

As a Roadhog main who hates Torbjorn, this makes me very, very happy.

thats amazing lol

I find Overwatch to be full of those random "Battlefield-esque" moments.
For example, this poor Genji meets the "push-off + squish" combo.

Jdl1yVM.gif

Squishy hero indeed.

What is the purpose of a safe to leave system in ranked if I still get a fucking loss?

Way to completely miss the point, Blizzard.

"Safe to leave" means you won't get a 75% XP penalty like you would if you left prematurely, and has nothing to do with your win/loss or your MMR. I can see why people keep making that mistake, though, it's not very well explained.

On an unrelated note, has anyone had a bigger fall from grace than mine? Went 8-2 in placement, got ranked at 58, then managed to hit 59 in my first game. My record since placement, including that first win, has been 9-22 and I've dropped 12 ranks. I think I might have finally stabilized at 47 but it's hard to say, I was playing with a pick-up group all day.

Do I get the "first win of the day" XP bonus every time I log in to Overwatch? I just received it now but I know I received it earlier.

Also do I get a lootbox every time I level up my competitive level?

"Safe to leave" means you won't get a 75% XP penalty like you would if you left prematurely, and has nothing to do with your win/loss or your MMR. I can see why people keep making that mistake, though, it's not very well explained.
I'm well aware of that - I can read lol -, what I'm pissed about is being forced to play uneven matches if I don't want to take a loss anyways because some assholes decided to leave. Coming from League I expected safe to leave systems to work differently

Blizzard needs to up leaver penalties BIG TIME

On an unrelated note, has anyone had a bigger fall from grace than mine? Went 8-2 in placement, got ranked at 58, then managed to hit 59 in my first game. My record since placement, including that first win, has been 9-22 and I've dropped 12 ranks. I think I might have finally stabilized at 47 but it's hard to say, I was playing with a pick-up group all day.

Actually that's something I would like to see.

The biggest losers and winners of neogaf who've lost the most rank and or gain the most rank.

But judging by the majority of the post and people shy to share their ranks it probably won't happen.

I have no problem admitting I am only rank 38 at the moment. Gives me all the more reason to step my game up.

I'm well aware of that - I can read lol -, what I'm pissed about is being forced to play uneven matches if I don't want to take a loss anyways because some assholes decided to leave. Coming from League I expected safe to leave systems to work differently

Blizzard needs to up leaver penalties BIG TIME

I agree. Blizzard did mention that they looked at not giving an automatic loss if the one team plays down a person and everyone else leaves, but they said the consequences were likely to be worse because of people actively trying to sabotage their team or harass someone on their team in order to convince someone else to leave, thus allowing them to leave without a loss.

Actually that's something I would like to see.

The biggest losers and winners of neogaf who've lost the most rank and or gain the most rank.

But judging by the majority of the post and people shy to share their ranks it probably won't happen.

I have no problem admitting I am only rank 38 at the moment. Gives me all the more reason to step my game up.

I actually didn't post my rank right after placement because it seemed like bragging. Obviously that's not a problem anymore!

Rixxan

i was awarded a 53 out of placement, but felt it was very low, because of a few bs losses

im currently 60, and plan to hit 70

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Does anyone know why these pro teams are defending away from the Volskaya choke point? They're just getting rolled every time.

Rixxan

It's one of the worst designed systems I've seen. Just dog shit all around.

however, this is accurate

i solo queue'd to global elite in csgo last year with relative ease

feel like the equivalent of that would never be possible with this system, its just too hot and cold and reliant on wins, not enough is taken from individual performance, imo

Zemm

however, this is accurate

i solo queue'd to global elite in csgo last year with relative ease

feel like the equivalent of that would never be possible with this system, its just too hot and cold and reliant on wins, not enough is taken from individual performance, imo

Yup definitely. It's a long time since I played CS but I don't remember ever getting frustrated with the system they had setup.

Blizzard

Banned
Yup definitely. It's a long time since I played CS but I don't remember ever getting frustrated with the system they had setup.
CSGO gives a team bots when someone leaves, but people can reconnect without penalty if it's not too long I think.

Rank was much more invisible in CSGO -- you had no idea how many points you were losing and gaining each game. You might gain the equivalent of a few levels in Overwatch before your medal would change.

Also, CSGO is a different style of game where a really skilled player can practically shutdown an entire team. That's harder in Overwatch.

Rixxan

CSGO gives a team bots when someone leaves, but people can reconnect without penalty if it's not too long I think.

Rank was much more invisible in CSGO -- you had no idea how many points you were losing and gaining each game. You might gain the equivalent of a few levels in Overwatch before your medal would change.

Also, CSGO is a different style of game where a really skilled player can practically shutdown an entire team. That's harder in Overwatch.

this is true, its much easier to carry in CS

its nearly impossible in Overwatch

vypek

Post-patch on PS4 seems like it messed up stuff. I've had a ton of matches where it takes a long time to load character models. POTG starts off as a black screen for a while and doesn't always load character models quickly. And it seems like some things are slower in general like opening the menu in a match or even just logging in.

Anyone else experiencing problems like this?

Zemm

Competative being bad must be a PC issue. It's been great for me on Xbox

Well I'm not even talking about the players talking shit in chat or playing badly, just how the whole system is designed where you can win >50% of your games and still go down in rank thanks to quitters. The KotH bug which fucked up placements and rankings for a while, the sudden death rules, quitters, long ass games that last forever on the shittiest maps like Volskaya because stopwatch isn't a thing for some reason, all combined makes it an unfun mode right now. A lot of work for them to do to get Season 2 up to scratch.

Swapzism

Competative being bad must be a PC issue. It's been great for me on Xbox

I haven't experienced quitters on XBL, but I've been in lobbies which have taken forever to fill, like over 3-4 minutes. May have just been the time of day however.

Post-patch on PS4 seems like it messed up stuff. I've had a ton of matches where it takes a long time to load character models. POTG starts off as a black screen for a while and doesn't always load character models quickly. And it seems like some things are slower in general like opening the menu in a match or even just logging in.

These issues are apparent on XB1 post patch as well.

Moonkeis

I've noticed weird graphical glitches but I had random black outs pre patch.

Gorillaz

this is true, its much easier to carry in CS

its nearly impossible in Overwatch
Probably my biggest headache. Can't carry a team that is playing like shit like I can pull off every once and awhile in other stuff.

you all are pretty much fucked from the drop, which in the long run will probably ruin alot of this for me but for now I can "deal" with it

If Blizzard really takes the hero adds seriously and gets us to Dota/League number of characters, at some point there will be absolutely no excuse to keep hero stacking.

Just had a match where my game refused to load the second round, and kicked me for inactivity.

I don't think I'm going to be playing much competitive if shit like this is happening.

Hawkie

Is there really a place for Reinhardt in competitive? I usually play him as a 1st choice but most the time I don't get any healing and/or little support and then it feels fairly pointless. Just wondering should I be switching more than I do.

X-Frame

I've experienced all these. I guess they rushed this patch just to get Competitive out to everyone and hopefully will fix all these, plus Torb's turret in a few weeks.

ramyeon

Seriously fuck ranked. Sucking all the fun out of this game for me. Still on my placements and it's loss after loss playing solo. Other teams are super coordinated but my teams only seem to use mic when they want to complain about how badly we're getting steam rolled.

J Range

If Blizzard really takes the hero adds seriously and gets us to Dota/League number of characters, at some point there will be absolutely no excuse to keep hero stacking.

I dont think we will be getting very many characters. Well get a sequel before we get 5 or so i think.

xaosslug

doing some quick play rn (i can't do ranked w/ random peeps anymore. The quitting is not happening!), and it's like a breeze compared to ranked. Damn. Play in ranked is so much more intense, and teams are just hammering you. But right now I'm stomping in qp. :D

i'm terrible with his swing. i would do it but don't realize i have to aim a little higher because it goes into the ground lol

I feel like I'm either too passive with him or too aggressive. Can't find a middle ground. And I can't pin for shit. It's really fun to club dudes, though.

I dont think we will be getting very many characters. Well get a sequel before we get 5 or so i think.
I think making a "sequel" would be a mistake. "Updates" like a fighting game so you can do new marketing, maybe, if you give upgrade options to those who already own it. But I'm not sure that a sequel makes much sense for viability.

Ranked needs some serious work. Luckily seasons don't last too long so we won't get stuck with this iteration for more than a few months.
Is there really a place for Reinhardt in competitive? I usually play him as a 1st choice but most the time I don't get any healing and/or little support and then it feels fairly pointless. Just wondering should I be switching more than I do.
He's considered super strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom