• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panthers

Yeah like borderlands, made by Blizzard within the awesome Overwatch universe with the great character cast!!

I am almost sure that is what Project Titan was going to be before they axed it and salvaged OW from it.

I don't have any proof but it just seems like theo only answer to how this game came from the ashes of project Titan

It's not; it's a relatively minor issue. And your "ping" is only one factor among many.

This is the only shooter where I get shot through walls. It isn't ping, it's Blizzard. I have 30 ping in here and TF2 and TF2 has none of that bullshit. There is something seriously wrong with the tickrate and some of the hitboxes that will simply outright hinder this game for both players like me and competitive players.

There's countless videos on these problems and FPS junkies know the science behind this. It's simply lazy netcode.

terrible

Banned
This is the only shooter where I get shot through walls. It isn't ping, it's Blizzard. I have 30 ping in here and TF2 and TF2 has none of that bullshit. There is something seriously wrong with the tickrate and some of the hitboxes that will simply outright hinder this game for both players like me and competitive players.

There's countless videos on these problems and FPS junkies know the science behind this. It's simply lazy netcode.

It's basically what BF3 and BF4 were like. Dying behind walls were the norm in those games. They mostly fixed it in BF4 when they added higher tickrate servers though.

jediyoshi

Ping isn't remotely irrelevant. Your ping, and their ping, and the fluctuations of them, are in all likelihood a lot more relevant than tickrate.

It's funny how much people have latched on to tickrate as an indicator if only because Blizzard's networking video they released in hopes to clarify their netcode specifically addressed the term. Whereas aside from CSGO, most shooters never have playerbases bring up tickrate as much relative to the obvious factors like dedicated servers and their locations.

I am sorry, but this is not true, and there are several videos that patiently explain what's actually happening when you get "shot through walls," including one from Blizzard themselves. FPS junkies, in most cases, have proven they don't understand the "science" behind this, and saying that you have "30 ping" shows that you don't either.

There is now a widespread phenomenon where everyone who's read an angry forum post or watched a painful montage of high-latency play thinks they can, with a glance of their fallible human eye, detect 35ms disparities in a complex simulation that is influenced by many factors, one of the less significant of which is tickrate.

This one's great and supports my point! I don't know why people keep drawing the wrong conclusions when he patiently explains what's happening.

It's funny how much people have latched on to tickrate as an indicator if only because Blizzard's networking video they released in hopes to clarify their netcode specifically addressed the term. Whereas aside from CSGO, most shooters never have playerbases bring up tickrate as much relative to the obvious factors like dedicated servers and their locations.

Wow, it's almost as if people who play a game often compared to a Valve game will use their prior experiences as a benchmark to detect inconsistencies.

Mupod

Zarya is actually the only character where I regularly get comments from my team and the other side. I once had someone say they refused to vote on the end cards because mine wasn't there, feels good man.

Her ult tends to enable other people to get POTG over you, but hey it's always clear who actually made that play.

Increasing the tickrate will improve gameplay significantly. The fact that Overwatch has a low tickrate compared to other FPS simply shows exactly how new Blizzard is to the genre.

Its like one of my Valencian mascletas!
Imagen7.jpg

senyera-masclet%C3%A0-vulcano.png

The question is, why the fuck didnt D.Va finished with her ult at the end. You finished this with a good ending big ass explosion!

LiK

Had a game last night where the enemy team had two Widows. there was a guy who knew people in my group but we were full so he ended up with the enemy team. He pointed out how they never pushed and were just trying to snipe. It was hilarious.

Owensboro

This is officially the most intense game I have ever played, all 3 points went to 99% 99% overtime so the whole match ended up lasting just over 25 minutes.

It was absolute insanity.

My friend got silver with 70 eliminations and apparently gold said he had 85 elims.

Man, we had one of those yesterday on PS4. 0-99%, lose the point. Other team goes 0-99%, we cap the point. Then, overtime just keeps going, and going, and going. We somehow actually won two matches in a row, but I swear the game took 35 minutes to play. I was so damn tense at the end of it.

This one's great and supports my point! I don't know why people keep drawing the wrong conclusions when he patiently explains what's happening.

He states right in the video that the difference between playing an Overwatch server with 20 ticks and one with 60 ticks is over 30ms of latency. A guy with 30ms ping is suddenly at 60ms, which is high enough that getting shot through walls and the like is a constant issue. I would never play on a TF2 or CS:GO server with 60ms latency, but that's essentially the default if you're playing Overwatch. Your ping is higher, their ping is higher, the game becomes less fun to play.

I think it'll be cool if Mei moved faster on iced surfaces.

Halve her normal speed but bring it up to a little faster on ice, and reduce the cone of fire on her frost gun so she can't make an ice surface and freeze you at the same time...OR, make it so she can't stop on ice, sort of like Lucio skating.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
He states right in the video that the difference between playing an Overwatch server with 20 ticks and one with 60 ticks is over 30ms of latency. .
And then goes on to explain why it's not nearly as big a deal as people make it out to be.

BlindRage

Hate that as I'm getting better, it's gonna be harder and harder for me to get some of the achievements, sorta like Hanzo's dragon or Junkrat's riptire since once people here it they run. And D.Va's ult, as soon as anyone hears nerf this they run for the quickest cover

Hoping I'll get lucky and be able to nab them though.

PS -
Guys any xbox one players here willing to play with me? Gamertag: Anfony O

Adding you. I'm 'Blind Rage'

Ledsen

any rumours about an animated feature film yet? they HAVE to do it, with how popular the game is and how good the character design is, right? RIGHT?

eloxx

Widowmaker first.

Honestly, Widowmaker is removing a lot of the fun I have with this game. The most fun games are the ones where I'm not getting one shot every other second and those games are VERY rare on PC.

They are experimenting with Widowmaker changes apparently. What hero are you playing as? Is a one-shot kill by Widowmaker not only for squishy heroes with a headshot?

ChrisD

See you made me think of spraying the ground to make you to faster.

Then I though of what would happen if you transplanted a Splatoon character into Overwatch. That'd actually be interesting.

But Splatoon brought absolutely nothing new to the genre!

/s, just in case

Catdaddy

Last night I was having long queue times on the PS4/NA servers. I play around the same time every weekday evening and at most had a 30 second wait, last night was several times over 2 minutes. Is that an indication of smaller base or something with the matchmaking, I’m level 32 btw..

vypek

Did anyone else have a problem with matches last night? I was on PS4 and frequently I would be doing a search for a new game again.

Last night I was having long queue times on the PS4/NA servers. I play around the same time every weekday evening and at most had a 30 second wait, last night was several times over 2 minutes. Is that an indication of smaller base or something with the matchmaking, I’m level 32 btw..

It might be. I've found myself, at level 32, getting matched with people in the 90s and with stars. So if there is an MMR system, I'm somewhere around there, with the occasional dip back to "my level."

Those people are better than I am across the board, which is about par for the course with BLizzard's MMR. Why yes, I, a low plat, would love to lose against a top diamond player, thank you Blizzard, may I have another?

Owensboro

Did anyone else have a problem with matches last night? I was on PS4 and frequently I would be doing a search for a new game again.

I feel like that's just PSN being PSN randomly. I had stretches of it taking 1-2 minutes to find a game, and others where I got games instantly. No rhyme, reason, or pattern to it from what I could tell.

vypek

I feel like that's just PSN being PSN randomly. I had stretches of it taking 1-2 minutes to find a game, and others where I got games instantly. No rhyme, reason, or pattern to it from what I could tell.

Okay. For me it didn't take long to take matches but I would always end up search again. Only played for a few hours but the amount of times I was forced to search again was oddly high.

Anfony O

Hate that as I'm getting better, it's gonna be harder and harder for me to get some of the achievements, sorta like Hanzo's dragon or Junkrat's riptire since once people here it they run. And D.Va's ult, as soon as anyone hears nerf this they run for the quickest cover

Hoping I'll get lucky and be able to nab them though.

PS -

Adding you. I'm 'Blind Rage'

Excellent! Just added you as well! When will you be on? And if there is anyone else who would like to join in overwatch just going to leave my xbox one gamertag here once again: Andony O

Catdaddy

PSN that may be it.. After I logged off, I realized I should have logged onto my PS secondary account that is level 2 and see what the wait was. When I googles someone said waits could be matching people with the same skills.

JCH!

Holy shit made it to rank 362 (PCEU) with Zarya. She's just too damn good.

Surprising because these last two days have been horrible, nothing but defeats.

Maffis

I'm playing as Zenyetta, it's overtime, we're a few seconds away from capturing the payload last night and I hear a Junkrat on the other team rev up his riptire. See it barrel around a corner and straight towards our team so I hit Ultimate. EXPERIENCE TRANQUILITY. I thought great, we've survived and we'll win. Except everyone by the payload - there were four other players - just watched the tire screeching around our team. My Ultimate expires, Junkrat then slams the tire into our team, we all die. We lose the game.

Sigh.

Why do people still not know to shoot the tire?
Tbf, zenyattas ult only makes you immune to damage. Everyone else just get high healing. Burst damage like the tire would still kill everyone near. Doesnt excuse peoples lack of intelligence though.

Yep this is slowly taking me away from the game. Winston is one of the heroes that gets it the worst. There has been dozens of times when I jumped away from danger long ago and then I die and in the kill cam I never even started the jump. Widowmaker is another because I swear I sometimes have my crosshair directly in the enemy's head and I still land no hit.

This is my main finding now that I know it's not my skill level or anything holding me back, I can shoot someone four times and maybe one hit will register on ps4, it pisses me off so much because I can't fix my physical location and best case I have around 60-80ms latency, but I can't help but feel with online games the home team advantage is massive. I am willing to bet the guys landing every shot are sitting with a 15ms ping to blizz' server and basically get to dance around everyone else because it sure seems like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom