• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucked

pug. king of the hill. widowmaker. enemy has 2 pharahs. we get rekt round 1.

peeps ask him to change if hes not going to kill the pharahs, he cries he has no defense (lol what its koth mate)

round 2, enemy team drops their widow, ours of course stays. we win round 2. "see I killed a pharah" hey congratulations, you did your job

round 3, we lose again (he never changes of course), cries in general chat that the pharahs wasted their ult on him the whole game, what noobs killing just 1 person with ults. The others are the noobs you see

Yeah I wouldnt play this game if I was just solo queing lol

I just wince when I see a widow now. Yesterday I got put in a match with a level 5 who obviously got the origins edition, so he was Noire Widow sniping...in the middle of the fucking battle field. Never switched once.

matmanx1

So where's the Roadhog hate? Most HP, massive damage, self heal, great ult that knocksback and a hook that's very generous whether it hits or not. I'd put him in the same basket as McCree and Widowmaker, ahead of Widowmaker if anything.

I think Roadhog gives certain characters problems but others have no issues with him whatsoever. He's big, he's slow and the more I've played the more I have learned to not get in front of him and make myself a target for his hook. When I do get hooked and die to him its because I've either let myself get in to a bad position or because the other player was being smart about his positioning and timing. Either way, he's not OP.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
holy shit you can fly the camera around in spectator and watch like the whole of the hanamura point B room like its a fucking RTS, it looks awesome

Mupod

I was in a match yesterday with 3 110-130 players, in my own group of 3. They were absolutely godawful, would not switch off D-Va/Mei despite our lack of damage (I was on support already). Then at the end one of them goes nuts in chat about how Junkrat takes no skill, by the time we left the match he was still filling the chat with SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM.

Level and experience can mean a lot but a scrub is a scrub. Also my friend is half my level and his aiming is far better than mine thanks to years of CS.

As for Roadhog: not OP, can be frustrating sometimes but he's a huge liability due to basically being free ults for the enemy team.

Baliis

My favorite part of sniper in TF/TF2 is making people try and counter me, so I'm pleased so far with the other team's reaction when playing Widowmaker. Starting to get good with the grappling hook jukes.

It's funny the other way around too, countering a sniper so hard they swap off it.

That Russia map is seriously unbalanced. The 2nd defence point is braindead easy to defend, there are too many cover points, and the walk of shame from respawn is way too brief. You need a super coordinated stack beat it as offense.

I was in a match yesterday with 3 110-130 players, in my own group of 3. They were absolutely godawful, would not switch off D-Va/Mei despite our lack of damage (I was on support already). Then at the end one of them goes nuts in chat about how Junkrat takes no skill, by the time we left the match he was still filling the chat with SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM SPAM.

Level and experience can mean a lot but a scrub is a scrub. Also my friend is half my level and his aiming is far better than mine thanks to years of CS.

As for Roadhog: not OP, can be frustrating sometimes but he's a huge liability due to basically being free ults for the enemy team.

dont get what you mean by free ults for the enemy team, just started playing and am having fun with roadhog.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
https://www.twitch.tv/fobwashed

giantbomb guys are playing together

be warned they are beyond terrible, go in expectating that. Im not being a dick, but, well...yeah, its pug-level play at best (except maybe Austin and Jason). They just had a super clutch win on hanamura and the screams of happyness remind me of why this game is so good lol

abundant

That Russia map is seriously unbalanced. The 2nd defence point is braindead easy to defend, there are too many cover points, and the walk of shame from respawn is way too brief. You need a super coordinated stack beat it as offense.

The same could be said for the other two Capture Point maps.

aeolist

Banned
dont get what you mean by free ults for the enemy team, just started playing and am having fun with roadhog.

roadhog naturally takes a lot of damage which build enemy ults (though it'll also build your healer's ult)

reinhardt does too but damaging shields doesn't build ults

Finalow

He's slow and a big target. Widowmakers see him coming a mile away and there's not much he can do about it.

Even with the big health, a 1-on-1 confrontation with a Pharah, a McCree, a Genji, or a host of other characters when played well won't end well for him.
he has issues to deal with snipers but ''not much he can do about it'' isn't really true, he can survive the hit(s), hide and heal.

all the characters you mentioned easily die vs a good Roadhog, one hook and they're dead. if you're a squishy character and you manage to escape after the hook it just means the Roadhog missed the timing on his combo.

ViviOggi

So where's the Roadhog hate? Most HP, massive damage, self heal, great ult that knocksback and a hook that's very generous whether it hits or not. I'd put him in the same basket as McCree and Widowmaker, ahead of Widowmaker if anything.

youngsabu.png

jacobs34

Wow. Played a game in solo que and our team absolutely demolished another team with Torbs and a Bastion by playing with a Rein, Genji (me), Junkrat, and Farrah.

I've never seen a Bastion player see a group coming and immediately get out of turret form and run. Is it possible that randoms are finally learning how to adapt to opposing team comps, or was I just incredibly lucky?

Mupod

You get ultimate charge by doing damage. Roadhog is a damage sponge with a MASSIVE hitbox and no defenses. The other tanks can shield or destroy incoming fire, he just eats it and heals himself.

Phant

Since Roadhog has a ton of health and a big hitbox with no shields he is an easy target to attack from a distance to build up your charge. The self healing aspect makes sure he can take a lot of punishment as well allowing you to farm up your ultimate. Attacking Reinhardt's shield does not build up your ultimate. You can do the same thing with Torbjorn turrents since they get repaired easily.

Ardenyal

ok? that also has nothing to do with player level.

overwatch is not conspiring to keep you at a 50% winrate. that is a natural consequence of a mmr-based game system, the only way you will ever keep a higher winrate in games like this long-term is if you are in the very top echelon of players.

Playing a game more makes you more aware of the intricacies of the game.

There many different types of mmr-systems.

They could match everyone at imaginary 1000-1100 mmr with each other but the current system pits players depending on the combined mmr without any regard to synergy, this was a problem with rocket leagues matchmaking for the second season and there's a good reason why that system was redesigned.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

no worse to attack than anubis.. and in fact has the exact same flanking as anubis. almost identical just across multiple tiers.

the problem is (same problem as anubis) you get a fucking team that keeps
a) single filing on respawn
b) keeps going through the VERY WELL DEFENDED choke point.

you need to coordinate, and need to flank. once you start flanking shit starts going sideways.even potentially worse for the defending team because without exposing themselves in the choke point (or TWO hanzos to provide sonic arrows) you can't actually see anyone entering the flanks. I mean not 100% true.. turrets, concussion mines, traps, etc. however at the same time it's the second objective meaning the defending team didn't have the 30 seconds ahead of time to set all of that stuff up. in fact you (attackers) just won the first objective and now have them on their heels. flank, kill, and start having them single file. and once you do that make sure if they have a symmetra that you find that teleporter. in that case it's even worse than anubis for defenders as without the teleporter it's a little longer run back for defense (by a couple of seconds)

aeolist

Banned
Playing a game more makes you more aware of the intricacies of the game.

There many different types of mmr-systems.

They could match everyone at imaginary 1000-1100 mmr with each other but the current system pits players depending on the combined mmr without any regard to synergy, this was a problem with rocket leagues matchmaking for the second season and there's a good reason why that system was redesigned.

i don't think anyone outside of blizzard can speak to the intricacies of their matchmaking algorithm. you're going to have some bad games but that's an unavoidable reality, and "forced 50%" will always be a stupid myth.

As for roadhog being in the same basket as mccree and widowmaker? lol...

Hell, even helix rocket is often enough to screw up a chain hook + primary combo. It has a big enough knock back to throw most roadhogs off for a moment long enough for the hooked character to get away. And while his hook is on cooldown, he is very vulnerable to being focused down.

If widowmaker misses a shot, she just shoots again. If Mccree misses flashbang, he still has FTH, often twice in a short span, which can hit for over 200 damage at 15m on an average sized target, let alone a big one. If hook misses, well, you might just lose the fight entirely.

The 2 capture point maps can be rushed down in under two minutes by attackers so they are very hard to balance if Blizz want to design them to be 50% chance to win for all skill levels.

Rhaknar

seriously im loving this overhead spectator camera shit

be warned they are beyond terrible, go in expectating that. Im not being a dick, but, well...yeah, its pug-level play at best (except maybe Austin and Jason). They just had a super clutch win on hanamura and the screams of happyness remind me of why this game is so good lol

3 tracers. i expect no one to no how to play her.

3 tracers and 3 roadhogs. lol. not bad

Lyn

Banned
I just wince when I see a widow now. Yesterday I got put in a match with a level 5 who obviously got the origins edition, so he was Noire Widow sniping...in the middle of the fucking battle field. Never switched once.

Not a fan of Widowmaker eh? I am guessing you wouldn't have enjoyed this team that I was put into last night then. I usually don't care what people play so long as they are having fun, but what the hell is this accomplishing when we are the attacking team and four people aren't trying to get on point? lol.

Izayoi

Banned
Route 66, defense... Someone picks Symmetra before me.

OK, great. I pick Lucio. Get all the way to the fucking point, and... no Symmetra? Oh, he went back and changed to Mercy instead, and says NOTHING.

Match starts, no Symmetra, and Mercy gets to the fight just in time to get killed.

FUCK

Too late now, no teleporter, no recon, and Mercy is an entire spawn cycle off.

Pubs: Not even once.

Finalow

You get ultimate charge by doing damage. Roadhog is a damage sponge with a MASSIVE hitbox and no defenses. The other tanks can shield or destroy incoming fire, he just eats it and heals himself.
that and his sluggishness are probably the main reasons why you don't see him much (or at all?) in competitive games.

he can definitely be a threat if played correctly though.

eek5

Not a fan of Widowmaker eh? I am guessing you wouldn't have enjoyed this team that I was put into last night then. I usually don't care what people play so long as they are having fun, but what the hell is this accomplishing when we are the attacking team and four people aren't trying to get on point? lol.

I'm surprised you supported them. At that point I'd just snipe too and see how fast we could lose.

Route 66, defense... Someone picks Symmetra before me.

OK, great. I pick Lucio. Get all the way to the fucking point, and... no Symmetra? Oh, he went back and changed to Mercy instead, and said NOTHING.

Match starts, no Symmetra, and Mercy gets to the fight just in time to get killed.

FUCK

Too late now, no teleporter, no recon, and Mercy is an entire spawn cycle off.

Pubs: Not even once.

Lol yesterday I think we were in a group of 3 and someone picked Zen so I waited until the end to see if anyone would pick support. No one did so I switched out of Pharah for Mercy and the guy runs all the way back to spawn to change heroes and asks me why I would pick a support when he was already one. People are weird man.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
The 2 capture point maps can be rushed down in under two minutes by attackers so they are very hard to balance if Blizz want to design them to be 50% chance to win for all skill levels.

and remember that "a game" (as long as people don't leave and fuck it up) consists of one team on attack, THEN that team on defense.

what sucks about pub games in Overwatch is getting stuck on a shit team, and leaving.. it's frustrating, yeah. But a big part of Quick Play (and presumably competitive) is staying in the same game. It should go:

Game 1: Map A, Team A = attack, Team B = defend
Game 2: Map A, Team A = defend, Team B = attack
shuffle players to new Team A and B
Game 3: Control Map B
shuffle players to new Team A and B
Game 4: Map C, New Team A = attack, New Team B = defend
Game 5: Map C, New Team A = defend, New Team B = attack

or at least something close to that...

Rhaknar

enemy team is going bastion and mercy combo and the GB dudes will have no clue how to deal with it lol

Mupod

Or hook with Roadhog

lol, my friend bitched at me for missing a hook on a Genji that killed him. Didn't believe me that it got deflected.

Deflect is really goddamn ridiculous. I swear it reflects splash damage and turns it into rockets. One of the big reasons I like Zarya so much is how reliant Genjis are on that move, they always go for it even though it won't save them.

Baliis

In fairness with competent players that might not be a terrible set up. Hanzo junkrat Lucio and pharah all seem like pretty easy targets for widowmaker. Just relies on the widows taking aggressive positions rather than hanging back and getting around Reinhardts back to hit him.

There's been a lot of discussion recently about the console controls for this game being trash. The link below offers a good review.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/4lu9re/for_ps4_players_of_overwatch_can_we_please_talk/

I'm inclined to agree, anyone here have any thoughts on this? For me, the game's control options are great, but the feel of moving the analogue stick around just doesn't quite feel natural. Call of Duty, Destiny, Rainbow Six Siege, Halo, these games all feel better to control.

Also, the aim assist on PS4 really irritates me. It doesn't feel like it's helpful, as it never feels like slow across my target in any way when sweeping the cursor (as you do in Call of Duty, etc) however it is significant enough to drag my aim off my target when aiming at turrets or stationary targets like snipers. It's extremely irritating, and I suppose you can turn it off but then you place yourself at a disadvantage in certain scenarios, I'm sure.

They really need a rework in my opinion, both the aim assist and analogue responsiveness (specifically in regards to deadzones).

Loot crate number 31 had my fourth Legendary. Too bad it was one of the worst around, Vishkar Symmetria :/

WHAAAAAAT!?

I love Vishkar Symmetra.

Her turrets are black in that skin and are super easy to hide in some of the darker hallways/corners and such.

Also, you get to be a mother fucking Enterprise crew member.

Blizzard needs to add a mechanic to help defenders after the first point is taken, just to stop the steamroll. I think this means something like instant respawn time for 3-5 seconds for defense right after point A is taken. That might give defenders in pubs a bigger shot for avoided losing on the spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom