• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

SxP

Taking a little bit to get used to using a controller instead of M/KB (how in the heck are you supposed to even USE Pharah with the jump/hover key bound to X, seriously?),

You don't need to rebind anything. Pharah's hover is default mapped to L2 as well.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I have Ifrit, Bloodhardt, Barbosa, Hippityhop, Undersea, Safari(got this one first but wanted Undersea), Night Ops: 76, El Blanco, and B Va

Only legendaries I really want now are Mechaqueen, Daredevil 76, Riverboat, and maybe Rescue Mei

I'm a weak, weak man. My computer is apparently going to be in the shop for a while (repair tech wouldn't even give me a timeframe), so I bought the game again on PS4. Taking a little bit to get used to using a controller instead of M/KB (how in the heck are you supposed to even USE Pharah with the jump/hover key bound to X, seriously?), but I guess the help of auto-aim has really improved my Soldier: 76 game, which was dire on PC. Plus since my rank is starting over, I get to play against a bunch of scrubs, so I get to feel pretty awesome, for a little while at least. :)

you don't have to change the controls for pharah. LT actually keeps her in the air. it took me forever to realize this too.

Grief.exe

All right. Fuck the achievements. 9 hours of Dva and no ult quad kill. I hate her and it is ruining the game for me.

Your answer is to play with a Zarya.

POTG from last night with me landing a 4 person ult.

https://gfycat.com/InnocentBruisedAmmonite

I find it pretty hard to survive as winston honestly. I jump in to distract them but then they all shoot at me. Sure my teammate pick them off while they're focused on me but I'm usually dead by then.

I have a high winrate when I play Zarya on attack or Koth with another dedicated tank like Rein or Winston.

Really boosts a Winston's survivability with a few well placed shields.

I'll use him but I change as soon as I see a widowmaker on the other team
which is every game

That widow meta is too strong.

I have pulling teeth when I need someone to switch to widow to counter the other team. Quit beating your head against the wall and just switch .

Nah. I play the hell out of her aggressively.

And you know I'm not one of those waifu having dudes.

I guess I would have to watch you stream, because whenever I'm going against D.Va it's just a free kill and has little effect on the flow or the game.

Deserving of a buff.

Canucked

I find it pretty hard to survive as winston honestly. I jump in to distract them but then they all shoot at me. Sure my teammate pick them off while they're focused on me but I'm usually dead by then.

As you play him you'll eventually learn who to jump at, and the angles and the timing. You'll learn. I'm still learning but he's so much fun.

You do have to be willing to die though and you have to make sure you have back up. If you're jumping in while your team is hanging back and lone wolfing, then there's no point, a united team will pick you off constantly. Winston is a team player.

Ah, thanks for all the advice on rebinding. I actually had bound Pharah's jump to L3 (figured it wasn't doing anything else, although it made steering a little tricky) but the L2 option would probably work better.

cHinzo

Let's be honest with ourselves. D.Va is only played because she's waifubait.

I've never seen a D.Va have a large effect on the game.

4065d75ee0.jpg

:D I found her to be pretty good on attack. You can flank well with her mobility and go in and out without dieing. Easy 2 or 3 kills to open up a site and her ult is great for pushing and clearing an area.

abundant

I still need to try it out more, but a few good strategies with Winston are...

- Don't use the Jump ability to jump into battle. Use it only to get in position for a flank attack or to escape a bad situation.
- Try to coordinate your attacks with your team, that way everyone will either be focused on them or you. Either way this usually means a kill.
- Always make Mercy your number one priority when she is on the field.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

You just have to look at the enemy team and know if it's worth jumping in.

If McRee is there? Abort. Abort. If Reaper is there? You might can deal with him if your shield is up. If Mei is there and someone else is there? get the fuck out.

and I think part of playing Winston is accepting death as an inevitability compared to the other tanks.
- Always make Mercy your number one priority when she is on the field.

Alternatively, Mercy DO NOT ABANDON ME WHEN I GO IN unless shit has gone completely south. So many times I could clear a point as Winston with a Mercy and I find Mercy has flown all the way over to the other side of the point to heal Tracer.

Just got behind the enemy defenses on Anubis, had 4 of them in my sights as Pharah with 1 minute left. I hit my ult and at that exact moment have a massive lag spike that stops my ult from firing and causes me to fall to the ground where I am then immediately killed by the four people all standing there. Time to stop playing for a while.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Thanks for the Winston tips guys. I like him a lot so i really want to up my game as him.

Also had a match on dorado where 6 torbs just sit on the final point as we stroll through the rest just to set up a wall of turrets. Got them all with junkrat. Was hilarious.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also, make good use of medkits and knowing where they're at as Winston. You don't have the regen that the other tanks do.

Rad-

You don't always have to jump into the enemy group. Flank into them and save that jump for get away card.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRXXoy-ysm0

Back to back overtime KOTH wins where the enemy team was at 99%. First round I couldn't get the Hanzo to just step into the objective to reset the timer so I did it myself.

I made a lot of mistakes in the two rounds, and even in this cut down video. I play a pretty aggressive Mercy which means I have my blaster out a bit too much which leads to some unnecessary team member deaths.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Ok, 2 different 6 torb matches now and I'm pretty sure that they're different groups. Was a hilarious stomp both times.

People had trouble with this?

Nottle

Yeah. It's horrible that they put that shit in here. All the idiots who are obssessed over meaningless "achievements" will just ruin games for everyone else.
I sort of like some of the achievements because they sort of teach the player what you can do with certain characters, but some are needlessly ridiculous. No one needs to snipe midair to play a good Widowmaker or wall ride with Lucio to get kills, but people should know that using deflect is a good way to kill some enemies with Genji, or that Tracer's rewind can heal them, or that keeping a charge up and keeping the team safe is an effective Zarya. A lot of them I just wish were less strict or difficult. The spray could sort of serve as recognition that the person knows the fundamentals of the character.

ElyrionX

I am on a massive losing streak solo queueing wtf. Just can't seemt to win. I mean, if I am playing bad then that's fine it's on me. But losing games when you get four gold medals is just really fucking frustrating. And it's not that our team is not balanced. Most of my games have people picking supports or tanks when necessary. We just get massively outplayed.

Enemy Lucio just hit six minutes on the objective, beating us when we were at 99% to their 0%.

Nobody on my team could hit him except me. And he would just get rezzed. 😐

DrArchon

Got the Clearing the Area achievement for Pharah just now. I just fired a push-back missile into the lighthouse objective area on Ilios and got 4 environmental kills without seeing a single one. It was funky.

Now I've got to get the one for her ult, which is really going to suck because I hate Pharah's ult so much. I never get any kills with it and half the time I'm the one that dies for using it. It's so bad.

Dunlop

I just don't understand why there is not even a mention of tweaking Bastion from Blizzard.

No character should have high DP (his DPS is off the charts vs any other toon) and high dmg absorbtion.

At least make it so Reinheart's shield doesn't dissolve in less than 2 seconds so there is a realistic counter

Got the Clearing the Area achievement for Pharah just now. I just fired a push-back missile into the lighthouse objective area on Ilios and got 4 environmental kills without seeing a single one. It was funky.

Now I've got to get the one for her ult, which is really going to suck because I hate Pharah's ult so much. I never get any kills with it and half the time I'm the one that dies for using it. It's so bad.
Try to combo ults to get it. It's very easy with Zarya or Mei since they stop people from moving.

//DEVIL//

Its really sad when I am level 36 and the last 5 loot boxes been exactly white white blue white in the exact same order . For shame blizzard . Guess what? U will not get a single cent from me. Keep it up

I don't always watch all the self-POTG videos posted here, but when I do, the person playing always vote for him-/herself without even a seconds hesitance, lol.

matmanx1

Enemy Lucio just hit six minutes on the objective, beating us when we were at 99% to their 0%.

Nobody on my team could hit him except me. And he would just get rezzed. 😐

Another Lucio, Pharah or Winston work well for this situation. Anyone with a knockback. You don't necessarily need to kill him you just need to knock him off of the objective long enough to win.

Winston with an ult is ideal, actually.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I just don't understand why there is not even a mention of tweaking Bastion from Blizzard.

No character should have high DP (his DPS is off the charts vs any other toon) and high dmg absorbtion.

At least make it so Reinheart's shield doesn't dissolve in less than 2 seconds so there is a realistic counter

If anything, Bastion needs a buff

Grief.exe

They're in an awkward place since he's completely useless at higher MMRs.

Nerf a character that is already terrible would just be pissing on a grave

drotahorror

Really wish you could see who all was in a party. Sometimes it feels like I'm fighting a full premade with the way they coordinate their ults. Would be nice to know.

Grief.exe

You haven't played with the right D.vas.

I would be less likely to notice when playing with a D.Va. mostly just my experience in dominating opposing D.Vas.

She's just a bad pick. She's an objectively worse tank pick than Winston/Rein/Zarya as she doesn't bring any team utility like those characters do and she's squishy.

On top of that, you can play her aggressively , but her damage is useless and she's easy to kill.

She doesn't directly counter any of the top picks in the current meta.

LiEBRhV.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom