• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfinke

Man, I forgot Monday Night Combat was a thing. I had played that game nonstop when it was on the Xbox 360.

Yep, easily my most played XBL game.

Also really liked MNC and thought it was a hidden gem, Super MNC was disappointing though.

Funny how far ahead of the curve it was related to modern gaming trends. But yeah, if you liked that game you'd be crazy not to get Overwatch.

I often reflect on what MNC did relative to where games have gone since then. The dev's probably lament that a) SMNC was a bummer relative to MNC and b) that SMNC came out when it did, missing the zeigeist that is present now for these sorts of shooters.

Really, Battleborn is closer to that than Overwatch is. (Battleborn is fine, just not Overwatch)

Yeah I get the same feeling in a reductive kind of way (building turrets, buying bots, playing a class etc.), but actually watching the two games side-by-side, man, Overwatch gives me MNC vibes far more than Battleborn. Once I'm done with UC4 and Doom I'll have to look into Ovewatch on PS4. The rate at which these OTs fill up suggests that even if that takes another month it wouldn't be a problem!

Obligatory

The+face+of+true+evil+cancer_eea321_5939414mobile.jpg
Man, I need an avatar of her the panel with her face on it from that comic.

Forkball

I would be okay with someone who had a predator shimmer style cloaking ability, assuming it's on a reasonable timer. Maybe even make it their ult, idk.

I really feel like this game needs something akin to the spy class in TF2. Someone who can easily get behind enemy lines and cause havoc.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Inumbris

It's true. My favorite is after I've been super effective with her, and someone on the enemy team rage-counters me within with their own Mei, their expectations set on payback, their destiny, only to be frozen once more.

Mei I join in with the Mei loving? ;)

I really enjoy playing her, and when you get into a groove she can be brutal! I played a game attacking on Route 66 the other day, and really got the hang of using the Ice Wall both offensively and defensively, and got MVP.

Highlights of that game were using Ice Walls to block opposing snipers, using Ice Walls offensively to split enemy groups and trap tanks for the kill, and managing to freeze a rampaging Winston 3 times giving my team enough time to take him down without getting hit.

Gator86

I tried this a couple times today. Steamrolled every time. The player base is so shit for this game.

The game is as good as the playerbase is bad. Just a collection of people who go out of their way to make their teammates as miserable as possible.

RetroMG

I was going to put this in the Fan Art thread, but I think it makes more sense in here:

I had an amazing idea for a Halloween costume/cosplay, but I have no skill for such things, so I'll throw it out here for you all.

I'm having a baby girl in a couple of months, and I thought it would be hilarious to get her a blue onesie designed to look like D.va's suit, (I will probably try to find a way to do this anyway) then dress me as her mech, and have her in a front-carrying pouch strapped to my chest, so it looks like she's riding in the mech.

I'm totally not going to do it, (I wouldn't even know where to start building the mech costume) but I thought I would put it out there in case anyone has the time/skill. (oh, and a baby.)

Despite being terrible at sniping in every shooter I have ever touched, I feel like I'm Legolas everytime I play Hanzo. He is so much fun, and his ability to ruin Reinhardt and Bastion's day in one go I amazing. I know widowmaker is "technically" better, but between the two, I'm picking Hanzo everytime.

Mei I join in with the Mei loving? ;)

I really enjoy playing her, and when you get into a groove she can be brutal! I played a game attacking on Route 66 the other day, and really got the hang of using the Ice Wall both offensively and defensively, and got MVP.

Highlights of that game were using Ice Walls to block opposing snipers, using Ice Walls offensively to split enemy groups and trap tanks for the kill, and managing to freeze a rampaging Winston 3 times giving my team enough time to take him down without getting hit.
Of course!

She can be very effective when used well. Knowing how and when to time ice walls, heal, when to stay back, when to attack and use your ultimate. I've seen a lot of people who aren't very good with her, but man, a good Mei can be a tremendous asset. I've gotten good with her delayed icicle shot too. I out dueled and eliminated a Widowmaker twice at medium range in the same game today, who was trying to snipe me. I couldn't stop laughing.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Despite being terrible at sniping in every shooter I have ever touched, I feel like I'm Legolas everytime I play Hanzo. He is so much fun, and his ability to ruin Reinhardt and Bastion's day in one go I amazing. I know widowmaker is "technically" better, but between the two, I'm picking Hanzo everytime.

I hate hanzo because all too often I see in my deathcam that the opposing hanzo is aiming at someone else, only for them to miss, only for me to come in from out of view and get hit in the head.

I got a sick PotG on Mei by throwing my ult into the small room in front of the checkpoint on the Russia map, and trapping 3 people inside with an ice wall, then shooting down the survivors.

Satch

Banned
The game is as good as the playerbase is bad. Just a collection of people who go out of their way to make their teammates as miserable as possible.

yeah, this game would be so much better if the players would just cooperate

i just got out of a game with people just not getting behind our reinhardts to kill the turrets so we lost an easily winnable game. i dont get people spending 40-60 dollars on a pure TEAM game and then not playing as a team, and getting indignant when you ask them to be helpful lol

ive about reached my limit with the game, which sucks cuz i really enjoy it. i probably wont make it to the end of the week. rip

Inumbris

Of course!

She can be very effective when used well. Knowing how and when to time ice walls, heal, when to stay back, when to attack and use your ultimate. I've seen a lot of people who aren't very good with her, but man, a good Mei can be a tremendous asset. I've gotten good with her delayed icicle shot too. I out dueled and eliminated a Widowmaker twice at medium range in the same game today, who was trying to snipe me. I couldn't stop laughing.

Yeah the right click shot is the only ability I really need practice with, otherwise I feel like I have a really good instinct on when and where to act. Managing to out-snipe a Widowmaker twice in the same game does indeed sound hilarious, well done!

The thing that gets a giggle from me is when I, purposefully or not, put an Ice Wall on top of the payload. Seeing this car get dwarfed by a massively broad chunk of ice protuding from its roof and keep on moving as if nothing happened is the most delightfully absurd thing to me XD

Canucked

i just got out of a game with people just not getting behind our reinhardts to kill the turrets so we lost an easily winnable game. i dont get people spending 40-60 dollars on a pure TEAM game and then not playing as a team, and getting indignant when you ask them to be helpful lol

ive about reached my limit with the game, which sucks cuz i really enjoy it. i probably wont make it to the end of the week. rip

I swear people don't think they they can shoot through reinhardt's shield.

Just like they don't know how payloads work.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Everybody complains about seeing poor play in PUGs but I even see some bad play in GAF groups too. So again, don't forget guys.

1. Get behind Reinhardt. Especially if you're a mid-long range DPS like Soldier. He is your friend. He is not there to protect himself. Especially when they have something like a Torbjorn on their team. Even a Lucio can kill a turret behind a Reinhardt.

2. Get on the payload. Don't chase some idiot running around the map just to get a kill. In more than half the games I play it seems like everybody thinks the way to play payload maps is to kill their entire team, THEN get on the Payload. Unless you are a flanker you should try and force the fight onto the payload. Especially when you have a Reinhardt on your team.

3. Don't let a Tracer distract you from your objective. Don't chase her. You will not catch her. Make her come to you.

4. Don't feed the other team. Push the objective as a group. Don't just immediately run out of spawn and into the fray if you see a bunch of skulls in front of you. Even if you're a flanker, you want to try and coordinate your flanking with your team's push. Especially on Point B pushes like Hanamura, Volskaya, and Temple of Anubis. You break these points by running in as a full team and using your ults to kill their whole team. You aren't going to break a defense just by trading kills.

5. Don't overextend as defense. Don't setup your defensive line as close to their spawn as possible. Defenses break apart when the run from the defensive spawn to the main line is much farther than the run from the offensive spawn to the line. Setup around the key chokes

LiK

I bought a Bastion highlight even tho I barely use him because if I get a POTG with him, at least it won't be the boring default one.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I really feel like this game needs something akin to the spy class in TF2. Someone who can easily get behind enemy lines and cause havoc.

So Tracer and Reaper then?

Dalek

I'm honestly just so frustrated with the game right now. Constant losing streaks-and in just trying my hardest to help the team. No matter what though-the enemy team is like expert level and you're fucked. Just killed almost immediately if I walk out. In the kill and the enemy just someone always picks me out of the crowd, etc. just fucking frustrating.

ExVicis

Thanks thread title. I was probably gonna get a Legendary Skin in this box but then you had to predict White, White Blue, White and it came true. I'm blaming you for this title! This is on you!

No_Style

Not sure if I was playing with GAF folks but That was some good defence in the end. I was certain we were gonna lose after Jorge disconnected and the it was just a meat grinder.

Forkball

That sounds like Tracer to me.

You mean besides Genji, tracer, Reaper, and kind of Winston?

Like tracer and genji, who are specifically built for this?

Genji and Tracer can also just rush into the battle and fight 1v1, but the spy in TF2 can't really. He is more specialized to achieving specific objective. Genji and Tracer have abilities that allow them to flank and traverse the map easier, but it's still very different from the functions of the spy in TF2. I would like to see an Overwatch take on the class.

And also a secondary sniper. I like how they managed to diversify the two builder characters, but I would like them to also see how they can do the same thing with the sniper class. It's silly when the game recommends you pick a sniper aka pick Widowmaker.

patchday

is there a gaf channel? Get yourself a mic and hookup with those guys

I play with my friends/coworkers on lunch break its a blast

PaulloDEC

Everybody complains about seeing poor play in PUGs but I even see some bad play in GAF groups too. So again, don't forget guys.

1. Get behind Reinhardt. Especially if you're a mid-long range DPS like Soldier. He is your friend. He is not there to protect himself. Especially when they have something like a Torbjorn on their team. Even a Lucio can kill a turret behind a Reinhardt.

It's weird how often people neglect this. Loads of times I've been up front on a payload or whatever as Reinhardt and people are just scooting around in front of my shield. Like, they're not going anywhere in particular, they're just firing on the enemy from a few feet away from where they'd be safely shielded. I don't get it.

TheYanger

Genji and Tracer can also just rush into the battle and fight 1v1, but the spy in TF2 can't really. He is more specialized to achieving specific objective. Genji and Tracer have abilities that allow them to flank and traverse the map easier, but it's still very different from the functions of the spy in TF2. I would like to see an Overwatch take on the class.

And also a secondary sniper. I like how they managed to diversify the two builder characters, but I would like them to also see how they can do the same thing with the sniper class. It's silly when the game recommends you pick a sniper aka pick Widowmaker.

Hanzo is a sniper... you realize that right?

And the spy had 'different' tools, but they were very unique, I've mentioned before the Spy and the Engineer were the only classes from TF2 that approach the Overwatch character level of complexity and interconnectivity with 'abilities' - so to copy the spy you'd basically have to COPY the spy, why? What he does: get in the back lines and dismantle the team from within, is EXACTLY what Genji does, or reaper, or tracer. How he does it is fairly unique and I don't see a benefit to retreading the exact same ground we've seen for a decade.

Haines

Banned
This game never gets boring.

You just peel back another layer.

Hit lvl 50 tonight. Game is intense with a good group.

Dalek

I literally just joined a game where as soon as the game loaded the words DEFEAT appeared onscreen. This game really just has it out for me.

jacobs34

...and another loss where the payload is five meters from the finish and a Widow sits up on a ledge missing shots all game. I'm trying not to get upset, but it's very hard.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I literally just joined a game where as soon as the game loaded the words DEFEAT appeared onscreen. This game really just has it out for me.

It is annoying, but do keep in mind that it doesn't count those towards your w/l.

Though if you feel like you're having a streak it's best to take a break sometimes.

Blues1990

I think I'm going through PTSD.

If you see a Mei in your neighborhood, call the police.

Yep, easily my most played XBL game.

My man. It was the only Xbox 360 game, retail or otherwise, that made me want to get all the achievements. I probably lost track of how much time I've sunked into that XBLA game.

On an unrelated note, I think this image is going to get a lot of use around here.

Pi69xhs.png

Yeah the right click shot is the only ability I really need practice with, otherwise I feel like I have a really good instinct on when and where to act. Managing to out-snipe a Widowmaker twice in the same game does indeed sound hilarious, well done!

The thing that gets a giggle from me is when I, purposefully or not, put an Ice Wall on top of the payload. Seeing this car get dwarfed by a massively broad chunk of ice protuding from its roof and keep on moving as if nothing happened is the most delightfully absurd thing to me XD
Thanks!

Haha yes that is hilarious as well. It took me time to get the icicle shot down, and I still miss it a lot, but have gotten much better at landing it. I actually like to use it against tanks because their larger bodies are so easy to hit, and it allows Mei to be fairly effective at dealing some damage while staying at mid-range.

I was going to put this in the Fan Art thread, but I think it makes more sense in here:

I had an amazing idea for a Halloween costume/cosplay, but I have no skill for such things, so I'll throw it out here for you all.

I'm having a baby girl in a couple of months, and I thought it would be hilarious to get her a blue onesie designed to look like D.va's suit, (I will probably try to find a way to do this anyway) then dress me as her mech, and have her in a front-carrying pouch strapped to my chest, so it looks like she's riding in the mech.

I'm totally not going to do it, (I wouldn't even know where to start building the mech costume) but I thought I would put it out there in case anyone has the time/skill. (oh, and a baby.)

Oh my god. Please reconsider. This sounds amazing.

(be sure to paste Doritos to your baby's cheeks if you do this!)

Symmetra is becoming my new goto support. Actually slowly tilting to a more combat Symmetra.

Her turrets are fun, and teleporter can tilt the odds in interesting ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom