• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I have lost all 18 matches I played today

The feeling of desperation and sorrow is overwhelming.

The cycle is the same.

Pick support, enemy team singles me out and I get no back up from my team.
I pick tank my team scatters so my effectiveness is 0
I pick offense and my team never pushes.

Gator86

I hate hanzo because all too often I see in my deathcam that the opposing hanzo is aiming at someone else, only for them to miss, only for me to come in from out of view and get hit in the head.

If there's one character I could nerf into the ground, it would be Hanzo. I don't even think he's OP or anything, just irritating as shit. Fuck Hanzo and his stupid ridiculous hitboxes. I'm fine with dying to anyone else, but seeing some garbage Hanzo slinging arrows like crazy and whiffing only to see him hit a wall 5 feet to my left and have my head explode is infuriating.

I'm honestly just so frustrated with the game right now. Constant losing streaks-and in just trying my hardest to help the team. No matter what though-the enemy team is like expert level and you're fucked. Just killed almost immediately if I walk out. In the kill and the enemy just someone always picks me out of the crowd, etc. just fucking frustrating.
This is exactly where I am tonight. So many crushing defeats. Or we press hard and crush the first point only to get completely stalled out by triple Bastion and crap.

I just need to take a break for a while...

Not sure what's more frustrating, a Reinhart that won't push up or a team that won't follow you when you're Reinhart.
The correct answer is the team that doesn't protect you while you're on solo support, letting the enemy Tracer/Winston/Genji jump the back line repeatedly and without consequence. Be aware of what's happening in your back line, people. Eliminate those threats first.

Dalek

The cycle is the same.

Story of my life to a T. 100% accurate.

Salarians

defense:
pick Torbjorn
someone else picks him too
a third person picks Torbjorn
switch to Mercy
begin the match
three minutes in, realize we have no turrets, no Torbjorns but two Hanzos

we lost btw

The cycle is the same.

You perfectly described every match I play solo. Shit can get annoying real quick.

Man, I need an avatar of her the panel with her face on it from that comic.

Here you go:

wahedt7.jpg

Bonus panel with the other markraas Mei comic:

z10I0de.jpg

cordy

Banned
Man, I love this game. Unlike all other multiplayer games I've played I really don't care about losing a match, at all. If my team wins? Dope. If not? Cool. It doesn't matter.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
27277893390_62a63bc803_b.jpg

Can't believe that worked, lol

"Interesting" night of games for sure. Played with my two friends, other three players randoms for about an hour and a half.

I don't know what it was, but we were facing some really tough comps that were hard to tackle.

One game, the enemy had two tracers defending and picking us off at point, with two snipers and two turrets around the corner... so, pick something that can fuck Tracer, and get fucked by heavy artillery. Worry about the artillery, and get fucked out of the gate by Tracer.

A couple games had some swing in our favor, which was nice. Getting rocked on payload defense, and so I switch to Bastion after seeing 9 POTGs with him tonight. Sure enough, our defense skyrockets and... lol... I get POTG.

And then, man, there was this high-level Widow, and she was destroying us. I mean, her skill was leaps and bounds above our sniper's... just, picking off the team. she got near 50% kill participation as a sniper.

Yo Genjibros, any tips? What maps are good for him? I like Lijiang Tower but I got floored today.

I tend to do pretty well on the first half of King's Road and in Dorado. The biggest tip I can give is learn where health pack are and make sure there's one of less commonly used one in your escape route. The other suggestion I have is don't be afraid to throw out fan blades to just harass. Having other players waste time chasing you down because you hit them with one star is worth it.

I'm a pretty mediocre Genji though at 53% win rate and six hours played on him.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Zarya is also flat out impossible to play in pugs because it requires the support to understand how she works and if they aren't watching your back you will explode between shield cool downs.

TheFatMan

The cycle is the same.

It just boils down to most people don't play as a team. If you pay even a little attention you will notice that a team that sticks together wins together. With the possible exception of a Reaper or something doing some flanking.

Unfortunately in rando games you get 2 or 3 people sticking together and everyone else running off playing Call of Duty.

Canucked

Nothing is worse then having your team behind you, your shield up, killing it--then mei-niac throws up a wall. So I stand there, not letting it break formation. Stay tight. Then my team Mei throws up her own wall so we wait and then a third mei, from the pits of hell, puts up a wall.

I feel like no one even picked a third Mei. She just appeared.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Bro that worked 9 out of 10 times in a row for me and my buddies last night. Torbjorn is ridiculous.

Well, especially if you hold the enemy off for the first couple minutes.

Then you can just stack ults like crazy. I mean, we were popping an ult every 30 seconds for the entire second half of the match. 6 turrets up. Plus six guys running around with shotguns. And then ults galore.

PLUS shields.

I mean, crazy.

That feeling when you decide to pick Mei because you haven't so much as seen the rest of your team the entire match and you kind of want to sabotage them by walling in your spawn, but you decide not to and try to wall the enemy at the end of the round instead, and then some fucker on your team is all "nice wall mei, also I got three gold medals."

Spinifex

The cycle is the same.

It's pretty devastating when you just can't manage win, I was in a premade last night with friends, and I mean, we're casual players, but we were getting STOMPED. People were just not playing for the objective.

I hate being forced to overextend as Mercy, I know how it's gonna end every time and yup, like fucking Groundhog Day every time.

BigDug13

The cycle is the same.

Play Lucio. He's the toughest support to kill and can still have fun dealing damage while keeping healing going autonomously. I love playing Mercy or Zen but if the other team is gunning for you especially with tracers, it's Lucio time.

Ranmo

Anyone running a group or want to play on PC? Discord seems kind of dead compared to the thread.

TheFatMan

Well, especially if you hold the enemy off for the first couple minutes.

Then you can just stack ults like crazy. I mean, we were popping an ult every 30 seconds for the entire second half of the match. 6 turrets up. Plus six guys running around with shotguns. And then ults galore.

PLUS shields.

I mean, crazy.

Yeah its really hard to deal with for any group. Suprisingly the only group that beat us was 5 Soldiers and a Reinhardt. And they didn't stumble upon that winning combo until they'd almost lost.

BigDug13

Bro that worked 9 out of 10 times in a row for me and my buddies last night. Torbjorn is ridiculous.

His ult is stupid good. Turret gets double dps and 700 hps, Torb himself gains 300 armor and double dps. For 12 seconds he fulfills the attack class, tank class, and defense class amazingly well. Stacking 6 in a group I can see as a huge bonus.

Nimby

Banned
I tend to do pretty well on the first half of King's Road and in Dorado. The biggest tip I can give is learn where health pack are and make sure there's one of less commonly used one in your escape route. The other suggestion I have is don't be afraid to throw out fan blades to just harass. Having other players waste time chasing you down because you hit them with one star is worth it.

I'm a pretty mediocre Genji though at 53% win rate and six hours played on him.

I have waaaay less than a 50% with him, my E/D is about even though. I feel like Genji's mobility is seriously limited without his L1 (Swift Slash?), I'm trying to dash in and confuse the enemies or flank in some cases and can't escape because my L1 is used up. Perhaps going completely solo isn't optimal (sometimes not a choice lol), but maybe I'm just being predictable.

Against a "well-coordinated" team, Torbjorn probably isn't too bad. But that never happens solo, so enjoy getting sniped by turrets constantly.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nothing is worse then having your team behind you, your shield up, killing it--then mei-niac throws up a wall. So I stand there, not letting it break formation. Stay tight. Then my team Mei throws up her own wall so we wait and then a third mei, from the pits of hell, puts up a wall.

I feel like no one even picked a third Mei. She just appeared.

The payload isn't actually blocked by the wall.

Hex

Banned
One of the more frustrating things I have dealt with tonight are multiple Lucios who feel that they are attack characters while others of us on the team are dying for the objective they are running off to the east and west trying to gun people down

Zarya is also flat out impossible to play in pugs because it requires the support to understand how she works and if they aren't watching your back you will explode between shield cool downs.

I usually win on Zarya in pugs don't really on your support healing you or keeping them alive if they make that a chore. If you get good at juggling your recharging hp you're extremely self sufficient. When you drop under 200 hp just find cover let start to recharge and go back in angry. Use the guns alt fire as a damage and spacing tool. When 100% charge drops on someone they tend to panic. Instead of shielding supports sheild offensive heroes who are turning a corner. You'll often save their lives. Learn to get real friendly with enemy Junkrats. Kill them then sheild on top of their body for a huge damage boost. Also if you here the wheel look for it sheild up and run at it. You'll destroy it take no damage and be charged. Another good trick is bait Reinhardts charge and then sheild at the last second. The Reinhardt has suddenly given you 100% damage and is caught out. Zarya much like Zenyatta is there to deal damage along with Tank/Support. A lot of people aren't ready to be hit hard by their attacks so they overextend trying to get kills on them.

Jblanks

I must be doing something right in my 12 hours of playtime on her, 60% win%.

Yo Genjibros, any tips? What maps are good for him? I like Lijiang Tower but I got floored today.
Be very mobile and basically never stop moving and jumping. Save reflect for indoor areas or people you expect to unload on you (like Bastion in turret mode covering an area or a panicking Widowmaker at close range). For general attacks, you'll want to use main fire for long to mid-range and alt fire for mid to close-range. Up close I like to do alt, dash, quick melee, or some sort of combination for fast damage. Generally holding alt-fire is good for close range since it does better DPS than main fire if you're close enough.

For maps, he's fantastic on Hollywood and Volksaya. Hollywood just has a lot of places for him to bounce around and run in and out. On Volksaya on attacking, he's one of the characters that can completely bypass the main chokepoint which is an amazing tool to have. To do this, out of attack spawn, go left and you can jump around and use his dash to get to the ledge and completely flank them. Very devastating for people not prepared for it.

I don't like him on KOTH, would rather use Tracer in those cases IMO.

Skel1ingt0n

One of the more frustrating things I have dealt with tonight are multiple Lucios who feel that they are attack characters while others of us on the team are dying for the objective they are running off to the east and west trying to gun people down

Yup.

There are few heroes I would claim to be legitimately "good" with. I'm - at most - competent at the game. But I think I play Lucio really, really well.

And it boggles my mind how few Lucios realize how crucial wall skating is, their ability to contest a payload during overtime, their ability to push people off the sides of maps, that they should be jamming E constantly unless there's no one around, and most of all ... to.stay.next.to.other.players. It's not a clutch class unless it's holding onto those precious overtime seconds.

This is where you become unsympathetic

Well, you tell me what I'm supposed to do when everyone but the Roadhog and I disappears while the other team repeatedly mauls us trying to protect the payload. I don't think that car stopped once on its way in. Switching characters to try and defeat two Zaryas at once, maybe I'm not smart enough to counterpick properly against that but also that's fucking hard to do on your own. So yeah, I wanted my team to suffer, because where the fuck were they?

But I didn't actually do it. It seemed like a petty thing to do so I didn't bother. And then one of them decides to insult me anyways because I placed the ice wall wrong (well outside the spawn door, in case you don't believe me) as the round ended. What do you want me to do, give that person a hug?

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I usually win on Zarya in pugs don't really on your support healing you or keeping them alive if they make that a chore. If you get good at juggling your recharging hp you're extremely self sufficient. When you drop under 200 hp just find cover let start to recharge and go back in angry. Use the guns alt fire as a damage and spacing tool. When 100% charge drops on someone they tend to panic. Instead of shielding supports sheild offensive heroes who are turning a corner. You'll often save their lives. Learn to get real friendly with enemy Junkrats. Kill them then sheild on top of their body for a huge damage boost. Also if you here the wheel look for it sheild up and run at it. You'll destroy it take no damage and be charged. Another good trick is bait Reinhardts charge and then sheild at the last second. The Reinhardt has suddenly given you 100% damage and is caught out. Zarya much like Zenyatta is there to deal damage along with Tank/Support. A lot of people aren't ready to be hit hard by their attacks so they overextend trying to get kills on them.

That's some pretty solid advice actually. I just found myself with teams that were super spaced out and any time I even wanted to remotely engage a target I was basically doing it solo which means there wasn't really any baiting or anything going on.

It was just get attacked -> shield to get some power because there is no one around to use E on -> they stop shooting predictably -> don't get any power -> can't do enough damage -> can't escape -> die

Alternatively the few times I would save my shield for a better moment when the shield wore off I was usually already too low to stand a chance.

Woo-Fu

Banned
...what? What the hell happened?

What happened is people figured out that torbjorn turrets aren't effective without somebody occupying the enemy. The turrets are easy to kill when they've got no linemen running interference.

Is a lot of fun to charge a Torbjorn with Reinhardt, pinning and killing him against his own stunned turret which you then finish off with another attack or two.

If you stack anything with multiple counters while not having anybody to run counter-counter on your own team you're going to lose vs. an equivalently skilled team. Lots of rock seems great till half the enemy team changes to paper. :)

One of these days the weekly brawl won't be completely shit.

But this week is not that week.

On the contrary, this is the best one of all unless you're one of those people who can't play most of the heroes. I particularly like it because the people who only play an overpowered hero don't play this mode since they can't get their cheese. The mode doesn't revolve around Widowmaker either, a nice vacation for some of us.

R0ckman

Vs. an 5 man McCree team and a Lucio last night, yea they got destroyed.

I'm just jesting, but I havent seen as many tonight as when I did grouping last night, ran into a crap ton running double mcrees. I think only one group won though, they were popping out of no where and fan comboing like crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom