• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did everyone think of the fan-made character Rivet at the top of /r/Overwatch?

rafael-zanchetin-rivet-frame.jpg
rafael-zanchetin-rivet-frame-ltwalker.jpg

rafael-zanchetin-rivet-move.jpg

rafael-zanchetin-rivet-xtra.jpg

rafael-zanchetin-chainsaw.jpg

I think it's got some interesting ideas at least. Smokebomb and sword/chainsaw is a cool idea.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
A lot dicier on Payload maps where the objective can be filled with so many obstacles where the potential disruption effect is really easily mitigated.

The payload itself isnt one tho. And like others said, its mainly for disruption. Or get creative and drop it on people from the sky.

The Meis who think they're so smart walling up the offense entrance in the first five seconds and then die cuz they're too far out of the chokepoint

fuck you

ExVicis

What did everyone think of the fan-made character Rivet at the top of /r/Overwatch?

I think it's got some interesting ideas at least. Smokebomb and sword/chainsaw is a cool idea.

That's interesting, but I'm not sure about the whole, go through walls things. Then again we already have Wallhacks and Aimbots in this game, hell let's get some clipping in here too!. Not big on the chainsaw weapons though. Edit: So maybe as an Ult she gets the ability to do that.

Oh, and whoever posted the advice to put Symmetra turrets right at the enemy spawn point, thank you so much! I've tried it three times so far, and twice it's gotten me enough ult charge to have the teleporter up before the enemy even touched objective A. Actually kinda fun to get my stealth on and find a sneaky way up to the door to spring my trap

Somehow I've been missing out on all these fan-characters. Zameen is a damn cool idea too.

I mean, a shisha canon? What a brilliant idea.

When I first saw the art I thought it was official hahaha. He looks like he really belongs. I generally would love more elderly characters like that. Old wise man, old cackly lady. Sign me up.

That's interesting, but I'm not sure about the whole, go through walls things. Then again we already have Wallhacks and Aimbots in this game, hell let's get some clipping in here too!. Not big on the chainsaw weapons though.
Yeah, that was the only thing I wasn't a huge fan of with the design. I guess you could make it so you can't damage people when going through the wall or something, just focus on a pushback effect.
When I first saw the art I thought it was official hahaha. He looks like he really belongs. I generally would love more elderly characters like that. Old wise man, old cackly lady. Sign me up.
Absolutely! We've got a nice gender mix, and great mix of body times, and some young and middle-aged characters. We need some elders to really get the whole spectrum filled out!

Sora_N

Haha nice, those are my fav. I got one once on Route 66 right at the beginning of the map by knocking off 4 people lol.

Thanks, I found that Winston is really fun but you can't rush in since he kills slow.

Usually people are trying to run away when you come at them 1v1 though.

I seem to have a lot of trouble with Soldier 76 since he can heal and his gun tears through me lol.

darklin0

Banned
Thanks, I found that Winston is really fun but you can't rush in since he kills slow.

Usually people are trying to run away when you come at them 1v1 though.

I seem to have a lot of trouble with Soldier 76 since he can heal and his gun tears through me lol.
Against him you need to mitigate damage with your shield. It becomes an easier fight if you first land on him with your jump. The 50 damage it does gives you a a nice head start.

If he pops his health jump away. If your shield is still up stay on him. I feel like he is one of the harder people to 1v1 Winston.

Sou Da

What strikes you as too League about it? Genuinely curious since I play League and that didn't hit me.
The first design is straight up LoL, but that's because of the lack of a gun.

Mainly the "spin to win" ability is what's bugging me. Also this is Overwatch, if you have a non reloading pistol you might as well just replace her other arm with the chainsaw instead of making it an attachment.
Good cash in potential with an Ash Williams inspiredcostume too.

ExVicis

Yeah, that was the only thing I wasn't a huge fan of with the design. I guess you could make it so you can't damage people when going through the wall or something, just focus on a pushback effect.
I understand the reason for it as her own version of an escape or getting her into a good flank but yeah that one ability seems like too much. It also sounds like the kind of thing that for the first month or whatever after her release she would be filled with all kinds of exploits for the wall dive. Also I think for the character's Q should be something like an improved version of the Dash where she homes in on all targets she sees or something like that. Like a living projectile.

Everything else is pretty rad though! Heck I could probably be even sold on the chainsaws if this did end up becoming an actual thing.

The first design is straight up LoL, but that's because of the lack of a gun.

Mainly the "spin to win" ability is what's bugging me. Also this is Overwatch, if you have a non reloading pistol you might as well just replace her other arm with the chainsaw instead of making it an attachment.
Good cash in potential with an Ash Williams inspiredcostume too.
That makes sense. I'd be down with the chainsaw idea actually.

xezuru

C9 just makes a wall and Reaver just 50/50 bodyshot/headshots everyone to death with Widow and no one ever has shit to say about it, cause Winston/Genji/ect just instadies.

I understand the reason for it as her own version of an escape or getting her into a good flank but yeah that one ability seems like too much. It also sounds like the kind of thing that for the first month or whatever after her release she would be filled with all kinds of exploits for the wall dive. Also I think for the character's Q should be something like an improved version of the Dash where she homes in on all targets she sees or something like that. Like a living projectile.

Everything else is pretty rad though! Heck I could probably be even sold on the chainsaws if this did end up becoming an actual thing.
Yeah, I feel like the exploits in wall geometry that have already been found and been a minor annoyance (Symmetra on Dorado) would be a big problem for a character like Rivet. I don't know if Blizzard would want to potentially deal with that.

Interesting idea for a Q though!

Absolutely! We've got a nice gender mix, and great mix of body times, and some young and middle-aged characters. We need some elders to really get the whole spectrum filled out!

I mean there's Torbjorn and Reinhardt, but I definitely am missing the sagely old man archetype, and there definitely needs to be an old woman.

You can either go the badass route like Madame Webb from Spider-Man...
250px-Madame-Web.png

(Obviously not spider-themed since that's Widowmaker's gimmick)

...or you could go full Miss Marple/Super Gran style old granny-type lady, maybe even make her super tiny and ride a floating comfy chair or something. Make her come from one of those comfy countries - Ireland, Austria, Poland or something. Have her use an umbrella gun and throw exploding teapots or some shit. Have her go "Oh why hello deary." or "Would you like some jelly babies?", perhaps with a REALLY English accent. It'd be amazing.

I mean there's Torbjorn and Reinhardt, but I definitely am missing the sagely old man archetype, and there definitely needs to be an old woman.

250px-Madame-Web.png

Obviously not spider-themed since that's Widowmaker's gimmick,

...or you could go full Miss Marple/Super Gran style old granny-type lady, maybe even make her super tiny and ride a floating comfy chair or something. Make her come from one of those comfy countries - Ireland, Austria, Poland or something. Have her use an umbrella gun and throw exploding teapots or some shit. Have her go "Oh why hello deary." or "Would you like some jelly babies?", perhaps with a REALLY English accent. It'd be amazing.
Sagely old man is basically what Zennyata is

250px-Madame-Web.png

Obviously not spider-themed since that's Widowmaker's gimmick,

I guess I forget Torb because he's more of a "dwarf" stereotype over being a character I think of as an elder. Reinhardt definitely fits though.

We definitely need a more sagely woman though for sure.

Someone related to Tracer could be that goofy old English woman!
Sagely old man is basically what Zennyata is
I don't think of him as an "elderly" character at all. He's like a stereotypical monk.

EDIT: he's literally 20 actually, however we think about Omnic age.

Tracer's aunt Lydia. And to make things even cooler, make her the mastermind villain behind Reaper, Widowmaker and Sombra's attacks. Basically Dolores Umbridge.

Edit: Man I wish I could draw. I would love to design her now.

Hex

Banned
I really wish that you could skip play of the game.
Also really sick of "GG".
No you fucking shit stick, it was not a good game.
My team made the fucking special Olympics look like an elite event you condescending fucktwat.

Moonlight

Banned
The payload itself isnt one tho. And like others said, its mainly for disruption. Or get creative and drop it on people from the sky.
Yeah, I know. I've actually spent a decent bit of time trying to figure out the best aerial routes for D.Va's ult. I think the hit detection should be a little less lenient, though. I'm fine with finding solid cover between you and the mech to keep it from blowing you up versus literally running all the way out of range or whatever but the 'outside LOS' condition is pretty easily met.

ExVicis

Yeah, I feel like the exploits in wall geometry that have already been found and been a minor annoyance (Symmetra on Dorado) would be a big problem for a character like Rivet. I don't know if Blizzard would want to potentially deal with that.

Interesting idea for a Q though!
I actually hope somewhere, even if Rivet isn't a consideration or a Rivet-like, there's a Blizz dev that came up with an idea for an Ult like that. Just the idea of seeing someone zip out from a corner and destroying the team by flying through them is great. As well for balance if you see her you can just shoot her down and the Ult is over.

R0ckman

My team made the fucking special Olympics look like an elite event you condescending fucktwat.

I thought I was the only one who felt like this. I do say gg, when I lose and its a great match but HATE when its said when my team were being complete bafoons.

You can just leave during the POTG.

Also gg is just sportsmanship, don't be salty

Moonlight

Banned
When I'm feeling pretty shit about a match, a couple GGs from both sides cools me off a bit. Reminds me it was just a game.

Better that than 'ezpz' or whatever.

DrArchon

Man, those nerfs for McCree can't come fast enough. It's appalling that I can watch him waste most of Roadhog's health in a single combo. I'm seeing more and more games with him just running wild and ripping apart everyone that gets near him, including characters that are supposed to be good up close. I mean, if you can't beat him up close and you can't beat him from mid-range, then what are you supposed to do?

mbpm1

Man, those nerfs for McCree can't come fast enough. It's appalling that I can watch him waste most of Roadhog's health in a single combo. I'm seeing more and more games with him just running wild and ripping apart everyone that gets near him, including characters that are supposed to be good up close. I mean, if you can't beat him up close and you can't beat him from mid-range, then what are you supposed to do?

Why can't you beat him at mid range?

Blast his ass from long-range?

Satch

Banned
my favorite design of a character was a redesign of McCree where she was an actual older woman, since like all of the women in this game look young (even mercy whos like 37)

im gonna be on my deathbed asking why thats not our mccree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom