• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permanently A

I have to say the progression in this game feels pretty awful. Every time I level up I'm not looking forwards to it, but dreading yet another box of sprays and an icon.

I really think they should change voice lines and player icons to be white/common quality so the only blue/rare items are the color swap skins. That way you get a little variety in every box and something you can actually be happy about getting. The way the system is now, loot boxes just don't feel rewarding at all.

LiK

5 Soldiers and one Reinhardt totally crushed a group I was with today. I was surprised they didn't use the same tactic in another map when we did a rematch. We crushed them there.

The kind of night I am having:
"Can someone take care of the sniper on the catwalk?" me
"I don't see you doin' anythin about it" not me
"Yeah why don't you go get them?" not me #2
While I am the only one who has been close the objective to stop it moving the entire game and focusing on that.

It's so dumb considering you as a team have a vested interest in taking them out. Widow is a threat to everyone.

Some people literally don't know how to play this game. Good play can end a match in 2 minutes with <20 eliminations. This isn't a game about getting kills god damn it. Play the damn objective (Overwatch)

I have to say the progression in this game feels pretty awful. Every time I level up I'm not looking forwards to it, but dreading yet another box of sprays and an icon.

Stop making leveling up your goal and make enjoying your matches the goal. Opening boxes shouldn't introduce "dread" for christ' sake. The odds of you getting anything you really want is exceptionally low anyway. Focus on getting good, spending time with classes you don't play a lot, and playing with people you enjoy playing with. The shit you think looks cool will come soon enough. I didn't get my first leg for like 25 levels? I'm around level 80 now and have a pretty nice collection of junk to wear.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

I really think they should change voice lines and player icons to be white/common quality so the only blue/rare items are the color swap skins. That way you get a little variety in every box and something you can actually be happy about getting. The way the system is now, loot boxes just don't feel rewarding at all.

If you are playing to get them they absolutely do not. You will outgrow it, or stop playing I guess. Most of the time I forget I have loot boxes now, ill usually have one or two waiting after a session and go "oh yeah" before logging out. Im level...err...89 or whatever it is.

Hex

Banned
It's so dumb considering you as a team have a vested interest in taking them out. Widow is a threat to everyone.

Some people literally don't know how to play this game. Good play can end a match in 2 minutes with <20 eliminations. This isn't a game about getting kills god damn it. Play the damn objective (Overwatch)

I said "I would kind of like to win this one" and the first one said "I don't care about winning it's just a game"

Cromwell

Banned
I really think they should do a better job at giving you skins for the hero's you play the most rather than it being a total crapshoot every time.

So is playing with a controller on PC a terrible strategy?

It is generally a bad idea, yes. You can be fine with several classes, though. Good tracers will auto-win against you, however. Stick to tanks, builders, heroes with shotguns/splash damage (Junk, Pharah, Road) and heroes with autoaim (Symmetra) for best results.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
DAT Mercy of mines is fierce!

zYmdrL3l.jpg

LyE0dCYl.jpg

Permanently A

Stop making leveling up your goal and make enjoying your matches the goal. Opening boxes shouldn't introduce "dread" for christ' sake. The odds of you getting anything you really want is exceptionally low anyway. Focus on getting good, spending time with classes you don't play a lot, and playing with people you enjoy playing with. The shit you think looks cool will come soon enough. I didn't get my first leg for like 25 levels? I'm around level 80 now and have a pretty nice collection of junk to wear.

Its not like leveling up and enjoying the matches are two asynchronous goals. I'm not talking about the actual gameplay which is excellent, but the progression/reward system. And that's the exact problem you mentioned - getting anything you really want is exceptionally rare. If they don't want the boxes to be rewarding, then why are they in the game? I don't think I'm asking too much for there to be a guaranteed color swap in each box.

I said "I would kind of like to win this one" and the first one said "I don't care about winning it's just a game"

lmao

The only thing you should use level yours for is as a marker to stop playing. Once XP caps that's over an hour of continuous play. Take a break!

Its not like leveling up and enjoying the matches are two asynchronous goals. I'm not talking about the actual gameplay which is excellent, but the progression/reward system. And that's the exact problem you mentioned - getting anything you really want is exceptionally rare. If they don't want the boxes to be rewarding, then why are they in the game? I don't think I'm asking too much for there to be a guaranteed color swap in each box.

That's why making it part of your goal is going to make you frustrate yourself with it. Don't worry about it. That outfit you're so hot on for your doll is something you'll be apathetic towards after an hour of having it, guaranteed. Don't meditate on it. Assume every box will be nothing and be genuinely surprised when you get something worth talking about. That way you'll never be disappointed and won't feel compelled to spend money for boxes or be disappointed you don't have x y z hat yet.

The system is what it is. It's not great, it's not awful. So that's the best advice I can give you. If you're going to let it frustrate you anyway, that's your call of course. GL either way.

My match today consisted of going against three Junkrats and two Tracers playing defense with a team that insisted on playing Reaper and Soldier 76 from long-distance.

wao

kagamin

So is playing with a controller on PC a terrible strategy?

It works fine for characters you don't have to aim with, but because there is no auto-aim you're at a disadvantage when it comes down to fine aiming, so don't try and have a sniper battle with someone playing with M/K.

Permanently A

That's why making it part of your goal is going to make you frustrate yourself with it. Don't worry about it. That outfit you're so hot on for your doll is something you'll be apathetic towards after an hour of having it, guaranteed. Don't meditate on it. Assume every box will be nothing and be genuinely surprised when you get something worth talking about. That way you'll never be disappointed and won't feel compelled to spend money for boxes or be disappointed you don't have x y z hat yet.

The system is what it is. It's not great, it's not awful. So that's the best advice I can give you. If you're going to let it frustrate you anyway, that's your call of course. GL either way.

Exactly. Why is the system frustrating and disappointing if you care about it? Why can't it be rewarding instead? What's so wrong with asking for a progression system that actually feels rewarding? The alternative you're suggesting seems to be completely ignoring the system, which to me feels like bad design to be honest. When you have a game people love and one part of it people are very apathetic about, that indicates to me that you could probably improve that part.

Mik2121

I hope this isn't true, but I've often felt there was some rubber banding going on.

Have you ever felt like you were getting cheap kills? Not because the enemies were weaker than you, but really, "wow I can't believe I killed this guy with this weapon when he had his HP maxed" level. Because I haven't.

Yes, my win ratio is pretty much 50%. Before thinking about Blizzard somehow changing damage parameters without anybody ever noticing except for the OP in that thread, I'd rather assume that they got some impressive matchmaking system going on there. I have felt like I got destroyed many times because my team just didn't get their shit together, or I just got frustrated and kept throwing myself against something I knew I just wouldn't be able to beat.

The OP from that thread might be correct, but until then I'll assume it's the matchmaking. You get matched X times and you keep winning, then the system notices and they match you against harder enemies against whom you might lose. If you say you got absolutely destroyed against the same 6 people you beat easily the 10 times before, then I could see something weird going on.

Lemonte

Out of mech D.Va should have some knock back ability to push enemies out of cover into the blast zone of her ultimate. Give her drop kick or something.

champloo

Is Lucio a bit OP among the support heroes or is he just easier to use? I have a 62% win percentage with him now, and I don't even know what his wall riding ability is for.

I play exclusively with a controller on PC and feel absolutely no disadvantage. Its not like mouse keyboard players move quicker than I can twidle my analog sticks to point at em.

They can. Yes, yes they can.

Is Lucio a bit OP among the support heroes or is he just easier to use? I have a 62% win percentage with him now, and I don't even know what his wall riding ability is for.

He doesn't have to do anything to heal people. So yea, he's overtuned compared to the other supports who legit have to do a lot of work and be extremely situationally aware at all times to be useful.

Aselith

Having spray and voice line sucks but.... duplicates ? Fucking really ? It's already hard enough to get skins they didn't need to do that :/

I'm level 27 so I've gotten at best 108 items of the 1000-some and two items in that box were duplicates the icon was also lmao.

BigDug13

Finally got another legendary to end the night and several levels of crap. Duplicate Zenyatta skin. 200 currency. What a slap in the face. Legendary currency would have been 500 at least...

Sinistral

I agree, I don't even get why there is a "Level System" as it doesn't seem to tie into any MMR system, from what I've played. It's a completely arbitrary progression that doesn't actually have a function aside from taking longer to get loot boxes and making it more enticing to spend real money to get said boxes.

Getting a loot box should be from a static amount of "experience" just like how one loot box is a static amount of real money. You win more, you get more. Period. Instead of you win more, level up, then you need to win even more to get more.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
How do I play against only AIs? I wanna practice some heroes but when I click it under training, I get put in matchmaking. Why is it matchmaking when I want to play against the AI?

champloo

How do I play against only AIs? I wanna practice some heroes but when I click it under training, I get put in matchmaking. Why is it matchmaking when I want to play against the AI?

it's trying to find 5 other players for you to team up with against 6 AIs
you can create a custom game with only AIs

The damage modifier theory doesn't really make sense to me, because if Blizzard is really matching you based on your MMR and promoting you to games with higher rankings as you win, there shouldn't really be a need for tweaking the damage you do/take. Higher skilled players should get the better of you regardless. Moreover, it would probably confuse the rankings somewhat--how do you calculate an MMR based on win record if your most recent losses had a finger on the scale in the other team's favor? Or vice-versa?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, there just is no defense for duplicates. It's the only knock against the game so far. Even shitty mobile games get that right, it's definitely above greedy on the part of Blizzard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom