• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

champloo

Huh? That's just a truism, not a reason. Yes, at some point after unlocking the 500 icons, voices and palette swaps, you might feasible get a box with multiple legendaries. That's not a problem or anything, because all it is is rewarding a player who has spent a stupid amount of time (or money, I guess) playing the game and who has to have opened multiple boxes of useless stuff.

Even Wizards of the Coast, one of the worst digital entities in the top-tier of game makers, dropped duplicates because of their inherent feelbads. And that was in a F2P game.

That being said, I don't want to overstate this or anything. Duplicates are a problem I hope they fix, but since it's all cosmetic stuff you're hardly ever going to actually see, it's not a huge deal. Just sort of a stray hair in the 4-course meal that is Overwatch.

It's a problem because without duplicates it's unfair for players that join years after launch who would need 400 boxes to unlock everything, whereas early adopters can have all the legendaries with less than 200.

Rad-

Is that really a bug? You're damage amping someone attempting to take down one of the best abilities in the game in the reinhart shield.

Seagull called it a bug and mentioned something about it being fixed in the future so I take it is. It does sound pretty damn powerful considering Mercy already charges her ult really fast even without that.

Aselith

It's a problem because it's unfair for players that join years after launch who would need 400 boxes to unlock everything, whereas early adopters can have all the legendaries with less than 200.

Except the more items there are the harder it will be for them to get items with the duplicates... How does having duplicates help them?

Not sure if serious.

zoukka

It's a problem because it's unfair for players that join years after launch who would need 400 boxes to unlock everything, whereas early adopters can have all the legendaries with less than 200.

Unfair? How is that unfair, every game that has exp system or loot is unfair by your standards.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Huh? No it doesn't. Every person would have to play the same amount to unlock everything with no dupes allowed. Until they add more content.

Does anyone have any tips for taking down Tracer? It doesn't seem to matter what hero I'm playing, she gives me grief. I have some success with Junkrat but that's mainly because of his bouncy grenades and his mine which I throw in their face and hope I detonate it quicker than they can blink. If the enemy team has 2 tracers it's sad times all around for me. I just can't seem to handle her at all. I'm on PS4.

Bastion in Recon mode is a pretty good counter to Tracer. Just shoot at her, she blinks away, you repair, she comes out, repeat and she'll at the very least leave you alone because its basically a stalemate unless she has bomb but you have turret so it's all hypothetical.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Does anyone have any tips for taking down Tracer? It doesn't seem to matter what hero I'm playing, she gives me grief. I have some success with Junkrat but that's mainly because of his bouncy grenades and his mine which I throw in their face and hope I detonate it quicker than they can blink. If the enemy team has 2 tracers it's sad times all around for me. I just can't seem to handle her at all. I'm on PS4.

Winston. Also take note of where she was all the time to bait out a rewind.

Also I tend to find my matchup as mei against her is fairly neutral, but they don't want to be anywhere near me. She can blink and and rewind out of freeze but mei is bulky enough to survive an encounter, and when she freezes she's toast.

Also mccree, but he counters everyone.

BigDug13

Mccree. Successful stun bomb is guaranteed death.

Edit - I take that back. Good tracer will blink when seeing mccree throwing animation.

Rad-

Winston is probably the best counter.

I like how my most played character has become Lúcio. I don’t mind playing support, but I rather play other things. However, someone has to do it. I don’t really mind Lúcio though, he’s pretty fun to play. I tried Mercy a bunch of times, but I said fuck it. Mercy with pugs is a nightmare.

Chance

I was healing once and got tired of me getting focused down and we were getting steamrolled

switched to pharah and suddenly we were doing much better

Either my healing was shit or my pharah was good, but yeah sometimes switching even off support is a good idea

Ayep. Some teams just can't accommodate my needs as a support, so it's time to go Tracer/Pharah/Junkrat.

champloo

Huh? No it doesn't. Every person would have to play the same amount to unlock everything with no dupes allowed. Until they add more content.

Without duplicates the drop rate is not stable. every icon you unlock makes legendaries easier to drop, while every icon Blizzard decides to add to the game makes legendaries harder to drop. If Blizzard suddenly want to double the number of icons, there is gonna be backlashes when there should not.

I was just trying to say that the situation right now is not gonna be easily alleviated just by removing duplicates.

nOoblet16

?? Early adopters get all the legendaries in 200 boxes that are available...now.
The pool will be bigger for late adopters, and even early adopters will have the same chance of duplicates as late adopters.

Satch

Banned
I like how my most played character has become Lúcio. I don’t mind playing support, but I rather play other things. However, someone has to do it. I don’t really mind Lúcio though, he’s pretty fun to play. I tried Mercy a bunch of times, but I said fuck it. Mercy with pugs is a nightmare.

hes my most played now too. feels fucking bad man

champloo

They're cosmetic though..

They are just cosmetic so why getting so worked up against it?

?? Early adopters get all the legendaries in 200 boxes that are available...now.
The pool will be bigger for late adopters, and even early adopters will have the same chance of duplicates as late adopters.

Sorry I wasn't clear about what I meant. I was trying to illustrate a situation where removing duplicates could cause some problem.

???

You don't like his fresh beats?

Can't stop, won't stop.

Rad-

I like playing Mercy but generally I feel like my team actually wins more if I go something like Junkrat and just destroy everything.

besada

Banned
On Numbani, defending the last checkpoint, there is a tree. You can hop from a balcony onto it. You can place a turret there. You might get a 22 kill streak from it, like I just did.

peakish

The damage boost/nerf theory sounds absolutely ridiculous. Pro players would recognize any significant damage change in a second. Their thing is knowing exactly how quickly they can kill someone and how long they can stay alive under fire.

What is it with people in this game coming up with all kinds of theories to explain W/L ratios

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Without duplicates the drop rate is not stable. every icon you unlock makes legendaries easier to drop, while every icon Blizzard decides to add to the game makes legendaries harder to drop. If Blizzard suddenly want to double the number of icons, there is gonna be backlashes when there should not.

I was just trying to say that the situation right now is not gonna be easily alleviated just by removing duplicates.

The situation is the duplicates. It would be 100 percent alleviated by removing the duplicates, much in the same way trying to alleviate wetness is best accomplished by drying.

They are just cosmetic so why getting so worked up against it?

Pointing out and discussing a problem isn't getting "worked up," or else you are also getting "worked up" by it by doing the same.

Klyka

Banned
Is there anything more satisfying than completely ruining a Widowmakers fun the entire match?

I don't think there is :D

champloo

The situation is the duplicates. It would be 100 percent alleviated by removing the duplicates, much in the same way trying to alleviate wetness is best accomplished by drying.

Pointing out and discussing a problem isn't getting "worked up," or else you are also getting "worked up" by it by doing the same.

Excuse my poor English and bad sarcasm. My point is, Blizzard called this upon themselves and deserve all the backlashes they get. But you see, removing duplicates is solving a problem by introducing another. Maybe they should increase how much each duplicate is worth.

FeD.nL

I've seen Zenyattas out-heal Mercy before; it's not that difficult to do. If you ask me, Zenyatta is a more versatile healer than Mercy, she just has that baller resurrection.

But that really is the problem of Mercy. Her ult is so good it's oppressive. Like if you have a half decent Mercy the other team needs to have one as well or you just lose because of her ult.

In competitive, and soon ranked, there is no reason to not pick Mercy. You just need one on your team. I really hope that ult gets reworked somewhere down the line.

mxgt

Banned
Is there anything more satisfying than completely ruining a Widowmakers fun the entire match?

I don't think there is :D

I love jumping on Widowmaker as Winston. They panic shoot and jump away, then you just jump back on them and fuck them up

Matty8787

Just got hold of the origins edition for £36.99 for PC. Can't play until my 1080 arrives but any tips for a beginner player?

Will be diving straight in when it comes.

champloo

Just got hold of the origins edition for £36.99 for PC. Can't play until my 1080 arrives but any tips for a beginner player?

Will be diving straight in when it comes.

Get ready to not knowing what you are doing and feeling frustrated for the first few hours.
And maybe play the Weekly Brawl to learn the characters and maps?

zoukka

I wouldn't really try to extrapolate shot accuracy from a muddy gif.

Muddy or not you can see it in motion and in the still. The arrow is way late. So it means that the client was behind the server or the arrow has a 3 meter diameter hitbox (which it feels like when playing hanzo TBH).

But that really is the problem of Mercy. Her ult is so good it's oppressive. Like if you have a half decent Mercy the other team needs to have one as well or you just lose because of her ult.

In competitive, and soon ranked, there is no reason to not pick Mercy. You just need one on your team. I really hope that ult gets reworked somewhere down the line.

Without the ult being as effective as it is, she wouldn't be picked at all. Double Lucio is much more versatile. It's also not that distinct from others. Lucio saves everyone on the team from a wipe, mercy saves them post-hoc. Zenyatta's is mediocre because they die to high burst damage, healing or no. Widow for instance, doesn't care if Zen's ult is up, or not. Lucio meanwhile, can get everyone's HP to 800+, and heal them up to their max health by boosting the volume. He also doesn't have to compromise his position to do so, Zen is very likely to die at the end of his ult.

Problem with supports is that only two are viable, Zen needs a buff, Symettra needs moving to the defense category, and the support category needs 2-3 more characters.

What are some of the more interesting ultimate combos you guys have seen?
I was playing with some Gaffers on PS4 a few days ago and we ran across a team with a reaper and a McCree on Ligiang tower in the circular building. The Reaper and McCree synchronized their ults so that anyone running from the Death Blossom got one shotted by the High Noon.

Klyka

Banned
My biggest problem with Mercy's ult is that it comes out even after you kill Mercy.
Like, you clearly see her fall down during her ult animation but it still goes off because the animation itself isn't the Ult, the ult happens immediately on button press.

I wish her ult had like a 1 second cast time or something,so you could still interrupt her.

What are some of the more interesting ultimate combos you guys have seen?
I was playing with some Gaffers on PS4 a few days ago and we ran across a team with a reaper and a McCree on Ligiang tower in the circular building. The Reaper and McCree synchronized their ults so that anyone running from the Death Blossom got one shotted by the High Noon.

If Lucio gives Genji his ult and speed boost Genji can wipe a team in seconds.

Easy to react to with Lucio though, another shield negates it. Same with most ult's mind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom