• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
King of the Hill > everything. Those double 99% overtimes are the game at its ass-clenching best. Payload is either infuriating or a snoozefest 9 times out of 10.

i get that same feeling when Payload is down to like 1 meter & 5 seconds left... it's so intense

Sorral

Can't wait for that McCree nerf, so these randoms would stop fucking spamming him when they start losing to good tanks.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I was winning too much for Blizzards liking, so I get put into an instant loss match. feels bad man

I absolutely hate the forced 50%, all it does is make nearly every game stomp or be stomped. I assume ranked won't have such a mechanic so maybe it'll be playable long term.

This is hilarious. A few days ago I came here and posted my first legendary, I was a level 8:
9XozHSs.jpg
I complained because I said I didn't use him too much. What do you know, 10 levels later today:

WHY. WHY HIM.

Klyka

Banned
You guys keep talking about "forced 50%" yet there are tons of People (myself included) sitting nicely above 50%.

I've gone on entire days where all that happens is that my Team wins game after game. And that's randoms too.

abundant

I absolutely hate the forced 50%, all it does is make nearly every game stomp or be stomped. I assume ranked won't have such a mechanic so maybe it'll be playable long term.

Hopefully ranked will be like how group play is now. Everyone works as a team and picks the right heroes, so the only thing that determines who wins and who loses is the skill level of group A vs. group B.

I'm pretty sure it WILL have a "forced 50%," in that you'll likely lose about half your matches. The differences is that the ranked system will now surface your MMR rank to an extent, so even though you're losing half your matches, you'll see that the game is putting you with more advanced players as you improve (or less advanced players if you aren't).

Starcraft 2's league system might give some insight into how competitive mode might work, though it's worth noting that Jeff Kaplan already said one of their earlier visions (that they've since moved away from) involved a ranking system that wouldn't demote you even if you had a string of losses. They're thinking now about a system that would demote you if you were performing poorly.

Overwatch |OT4| 5c, 5c, 15c, 5c

cent
five cent
ten cent
dollar

R0ckman

Just experienced my first genuine Widow Shutdown.

If you're out there Rink you are a fucking savage. I don't think I was killed by anyone else that game and I kept changing up who I was playing to try something more survivable. Game over right from the beginning.

Bravo.

Ask someone to choose Winston, and you do Winston, double Winston should help. If their team sucked too badly to focus on a Winston trying to get to the sniper you coukd get by with one.

It's not "forced 50," it's hidden MMR that means you're going to be matched up against increasingly good teams if you're playing well. But if you are very good, you will consistently outperform 50 or near-50, because there will be few teams out there better than you.

I was at around 55% a few days ago. And then this happened.

overwatchsucks.png

Blizzard clearly think I'm better than I am. Hopefully it corrects soon.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
i guess this sudden "discovery" means a lot of you thought you were seagull and would have 80% win rates

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully ranked will be like how group play is now. Everyone works as a team and picks the right heroes, so the only thing that determines who wins and who loses is the skill level of group A vs. group B.

That's the dream and the only thing keeping me going right now.

Meia

It's not "forced 50," it's hidden MMR that means you're going to be matched up against increasingly good teams if you're playing well. But if you are very good, you will consistently outperform 50 or near-50, because there will be few teams out there better than you.

overwatchsucks.png

This has been me, basically. I think I'm now at 496 games, 230 wins, so I'm below that threshold. Still get into games where I get rolled, so so much for that. :\

Here's a novel idea Blizz: How about you just let me PLAY the fucking game and not get in the way. I don't need the extra 30 seconds solo queuing to get into each game, and then have a good chance of the match lasting less than 2 minutes because we get rolled that hard.

Mupod

I've never seen anyone with a win rate above 58%. I'd imagine it's possible if you only ran with a serious group but the matchmaker shenanigans get ridiculous.

Yesterday I saw it put me on the team I had just stomped against the team I stomped them WITH. I left the match and hit quick play, then ended up in that same match again. We ended up winning so I guess the matchmaker knew what it was doing, but I had to play my ass off.

8 games played, 2 wins. Does that mean I'll be getting a winstreak soon? :p

Yesterday I saw it put me on the team I had just stomped against the team I stomped them WITH. I left the match and hit quick play, then ended up in that same match again. We ended up winning so I guess the matchmaker knew what it was doing, but I had to play my ass off.

That's the whole point of the team scrambling though. It's the same in TF2 pub play. If one team completely roflstomps the other, they get mixed up to even out the playing field and make it more challenging.

R0ckman

overwatchsucks.png

This isnt correct though, I've only seen it work correctly in GROUP play and thats group play where they actually take the game more seriously than randoms. In random mode, it has a hard time so it just pairs you with morons who do not match your MMR. If you were being matched correctly with MMR you would NOT have whole teams who do not know how to overtime going, who don't know how to communicate etc.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Do people care about general w/l that much?

I mostly care about hero w/l. Because I can go on losing streaks trying to learn a hero, which is fun, but the heroes I feel I should know I care about w/l more.

That said, it would take an insane losing streak for me to get to 50% now.

abundant

It's not "forced 50," it's hidden MMR that means you're going to be matched up against increasingly good teams if you're playing well. But if you are very good, you will consistently outperform 50 or near-50, because there will be few teams out there better than you..

Yeah, this becomes very apparent the more I play with GAF groups. Usually in a 3 or 4 hour session, we'll start out strong with a 5 game winning streak, so the game spits us back to match making and pairs us up with a better team. Conversely, when we play against a better team and start losing, the game matches us up against a team more at our skill level.

This isnt correct though, I've only seen it work correctly in GROUP play and thats group play where they actually take the game more seriously than randoms. In random mode, it has a hard time so it just pairs you with morons who do not match your MMR. If you were being matched correctly with MMR you would NOT have whole teams who do not know how to overtime going, who don't know how to communicate etc.

This is true too. MMR only really works in group play.

Do people care about general w/l that much?

I mostly care about hero w/l. Because I can go on losing streaks trying to learn a hero, which is fun, but the heroes I feel I should know I care about w/l more.

That said, it would take an insane losing streak for me to get to 50% now.

I don't care at all, but I cringe at CoD youtubers that made it such a big deal. People boast about how they keep a 2.0+ w/l and a 4.0+ k/d.

Blizzard does a good job hiding the information from others.

Yeah, this becomes very apparent the more I play with GAF groups. Usually in a 3 or 4 hour session, we'll start out strong with a 5 game winning streak, so the game spits us back to match making and pairs us up with a better team. Conversely, when we play against a better team and start losing, the game matches us up against a team more at our skill level.
Yep. Sometimes it will even close a server and say "finding a more balanced game," which can be a badge of honor or shame depending on which end of it you are.

I don't care at all, but I cringe at CoD youtubers that made it such a big deal. People boast about how they keep a 2.0+ w/l and a 4.0+ k/d.

Blizzard does a good job hiding the information from others.

Definitely agreed on that.
CoD and LoL made W/L and K/D such a big deal, it's gotten really annoying in many online games. I'm really glad Blizzard is hiding the stats from everyone but yourself. Heavily reduces the abuse.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
All this talk about the "forced 50%" win-rate is making me feel pretty good about my record here. 540 games played and 317 won. Puts me at a 58% win-rate. Now, I do tend to play with a group, but it is of varying size depending on who's around to play. Can't really imagine playing this game without friends though. I basically only log on if someone else on my Friends List is on too.

abundant

All this talk about the "forced 50%" win-rate is making me feel pretty good about my record here. 540 games played and 317 won. Puts me at a 58% win-rate. Now, I do tend to play with a group, but it is of varying size depending on who's around to play. Can't really imagine playing this game without friends though. I basically only log on if someone else on my Friends List is on too.

That's how I play the game now too, which usually means I play in the evening.

Fugu

I never play in a group, and I feel like I'm being held to a win rate below 50% as a result of it because it seems like the MMR doesn't correctly compensate for the advantage of co-ordination, which is not at all surprising.

I played in a full group for the first time today and we won almost all of our games, so it doesn't surprise me to hear that people in groups end up quite a bit north of 50%. It seems to be at the expense of the primarily solo queue players.

Zeroth

I've had a few friends complain about going something like 3W-1L then getting into matches about to end and losing, putting it to 3W-3L. It's worth noting that unlike in the beta, you will get a loss even if you are put in a match that's already running.

I pretty much only play with full groups, but there's a lot of different levels of skill among my friends. And while I'd much prefer to play with people I know regardless of how good they are, it can take its toll if we're put in a game with a more coordinated and skillful team.

peakish

It's amazing that whenever I get a good grav well off with Zarya I have like one shot of ammo left and have to reload mid-through, hah. Did pretty well overall in the last game, leading objective eliminations, dealing a lot of damage, protecting 2.5k damage and got both of her achievements. No upvotes >_> Well, I guess most of my team did a pretty good job in the game so that's fair.

Still got so much to improve in my play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom