• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like you are in need of a better group, no offence. If she retreats, so be it she can no longer apply pressure. If you wanna confirm the kill, coordinate with a Winston/76.

No doubt that Widows are highly influential in the competitive scene. But playing with my regular group, we've never come across a situation that felt OP.

Your regular group are on console or have stupidly bad mmr.

Permanently A

Hot protip - at the start of the match, immediately lock in widow. 90% of the time even the most hardcore sniper mains don't want to double up on widow and choose someone else.

then as soon as the match starts switch to your preferred class

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
reaper can still tear tanks to shreds
It's like Reaper and Zenyatta don't exist..you know the actual heroes whose job is tank killing and were made for that...unlike McCree who ended up getting that job because of an oversight.
Oh yeah, I only pick Reaper on a few maps and usually on attack to capture, or defense on 2nd point of Hanamura, but you are right. Haven't needed to bother since I just pick McCree instead usually now since flashbang over shield is what kills pushes currently.
Haven't had to counter as Reaper for a while.
Your regular group are on console or have stupidly bad mmr.
#hardtruths

Zaventem

There is a good chance to survive it when 6 shots do 35 dmg as minimum, not every hitting he maybe shooting a bit late and you already going in iceblock etc.

The range on a fan is greater than meis freeze range. Even if you account for the minimum damage stun also does damage.

nOoblet16

Sounds like you are in need of a better group, no offence. If she retreats, so be it she can no longer apply pressure. If you wanna confirm the kill, coordinate with a Winston/76.

No doubt that Widows are highly influential in the competitive scene. But playing with my regular group, we've never come across a situation that felt OP.

Nope..both incorrect. Infact I'd say you haven't played against good groups instead. We frequently get matched against high MMR groups because of our high MMR.

It's not really a "retreat" if she can start shoot merely 2 seconds after she runs back. Winston's damage is too low, I already mentioned why it does not work in the last page because again as with Genji she just runs away to her teammates and then you are left holding your dick while she can continue shooting. Soldier 76? What? He isn't even in the equation here since he simply cannot pass the enemy defenses line like Winston, Genji, Reaper and D.Va in the first place, due to awful vertical mobility, which is where Widow resides. If you want him to shoot from the frontlines then what is the enemy team even doing allowing Soldier 76 to take long shots like that ?

The only reliable counter to a good widow right now is another good widow.

If I were to balance Widow, I'd start with something like this.

• The SMG is a secondary weapon you have to switch to (with a switch time).
  • Taking damage restarts the cooldown on the grapple.

The goal is to make it hard for her to survive a close encounter and make a successful flank a near-guaranteed kill.

ViviOggi

Hot protip - at the start of the match, immediately lock in widow. 90% of the time even the most hardcore sniper mains don't want to double up on widow and choose someone else.

So the idea is getting dumpstered by an uncontested Widow because that's what's gonna happen 9/10 times

BobFossil

Neo Member
PharahGAF, just thought id let the team know that i just shat on a widowmaker and her pocket mercy all game and forced widow to switch

keep fighting the widow oppression

Preach, haha.

I hear y'all, just thinking that maybe this conversation is focussed too much on eliminations. While the focus of the game really is on objectives. If a Widow has to retreat, or takes a buff. That's one less source of pressure/buff on the frontline etc. With hero switching and counter picking, these ebs and flows (should) be leveraged by a good team.

Or at least that's what I think Blizz was going for

Klyka

Banned
If you want to use Soldier 76 to countersnipe a Widowmaker,you might as well just use a Widowmaker yourself. Which is the only properly viable counter atm.

Also, god beware if a good Widowmaker has a pocket Mercy for healing/damage boost.

Unstoppable unless your entire team focuses her and even then she can deal with it in many situations.

The goal is to make it hard for her to survive a close encounter and make a successful flank a near-guaranteed kill.

I would rather they lower the damage on the SMG than force you to juggle weapons to make things harder. The end result will likely be the same, but "I died because I let someone get too close and couldn't kill them in time" feels better than "I died because I couldn't hit the scroll wheel fast enough and I died during the animation for the weapon switch."

Re: brawl. For a few rounds, the team I was on thought we'd discovered a neat trick to get the game to give us the classes we wanted by rapidly toggling on and off the character of your choice in the select screen. We spent two games where everyone was Mei. Then we tried it with all Mercies and it stopped working and now I don't know if RNGesus just blessed our Wall of China spectacular or if we really did hit on the trick without really knowing how it worked.

MartyStu

That is really harsh.

She would at least need a massive reduction in her grapple when not under fire. Like, down to 2 seconds massive.

R0ckman

I don't know, they need to do something about turrets, I'm damn tired of destroying them and my team sucking too much to take advantage of my plays and we are back to square one. Take out a Torb and Bastion, get on the objective with an ally Pharah, ally Pharah melts, I jump up kill a returning Torb before he sets up, knock the ulting bastion away and wear him down, but my team does not rush to the point during any of this.

Next game, team change same stupidity, kill bastion but eventually their team realizes I'm the only real threat so they chase me around the objective or call out my location to Bastion, while ny team melts.

MartyStu

I don't know, they need to do something about turrets, I'm damn tired of destroying them and my team sucking too much to take advantage of my plays and we are back to square one. Take out a Torb and Bastion, get on the objective with an ally Pharah, ally Pharah melts, I jump up kill a returning Torb before he sets up, knock the ulting bastion away and wear him down, but my team does not rush to the point during any of this.

Next game, team change sane stupidity, kill bastion but eventually their team realizes I'm the only real threat so they chase me around the objective or call out my location to Bastion, while ny team melts.

Your team is the problem. Not turrets.

And this comes from a guy who dislikes turrets with a passion.

Braag

So a lot of people have been struggling with widow huh..

Genji, anyone?

Not as easy as you think, unfortunately. She has good mobility, is a tiny target and has 200 hp.
Most Widows will flee to their teammates and bring Genji's health down enough that he has to escape as well. Then they just return back to their sniping spot and proceed on bodyshotting everyone to death.

That just sounds like being a poor sport

And 99% of the time it doesn't work either way. I've seen so many teams with 2 or 3 Widowmakers, and I only played like 20 games lol.

I don't know, they need to do something about turrets

Turrets are fine as they are.
Symmetra's turrets are made of paper and go down super easily, and Torbjorn's turret, while beefier, is easy to take out with most characters as well. I think the only characters I'd have trouble taking out a Torbjorn turret with would be Mercy and Reinhardt.

At my level, Winston feels like the most effective counter to Widow but I'm sure better players will zip away before a Winston can finish the job due to the low damage output.

ncslamm

I really wish I could play the game. Since yesterday I can't connect to the game server half the time and when I do get in the game it shows my ping at 500ms and RTT over 1000 before it kicks me out and makes me log back in to my account. Apparently i'm not the only one having issues. There's a bunch of other posts on the Technical Support forum. I shouldn't have any lag at all. I've got gigabit fiber internet with 1ms ping to pretty much everywhere. This is getting beyond frustrating.

Braag

The problem is mainly that she does extremely high damage and the weapon has almost no down time whatsoever, so you don't even need to aim for the head unless it's a tank. Making the sniping mode bolt action would punish her for missing and prevent her from spamming bodyshots (for the most part anyway).

Grief.exe

Lock out one of the best picks in the game?

Might as well lock in Mei/Zen/Torb/Bastion

Neverwas

i scheduled my weekend so i'd have all day today to play Overwatch, and ended up spending it reformatting my ps4 instead. 10 minutes left on my OW download =/

BobFossil

Neo Member
Lol for all the Widow elimination hysteria, what about taking and pushing objectives.

One Reinhardt, shield up, I'll cap that point and win the game thank you.

There's no TDM for a reason, this is an objective based game..

Satch

Banned
A L L W I D O W S M U S T D I E

This reminds me, the other day i played against this widow (ps4) and so i picked pharah like i usually do and i honest to god could not kill her. shed get me every time. now ill have you know, i take a lot of pride in my widow hunting prowess, but that game was humbling

BobFossil

Neo Member
So that Widowmaker can't use her insane mobility right now to simply avoid a confrontation at middle/close range, where she is the weakest.

Yh but most characters are capable of dealing such stable DPS that it would essentially nail her to the floor.

At my level, Winston feels like the most effective counter to Widow but I'm sure better players will zip away before a Winston can finish the job due to the low damage output.

That's mission accomplished. If she's not gunning down your team and constantly worried about you jumping at her, you're helping your team out.

R0ckman

Anyone see a lot more absolutely terrible Roadhogs than good ones? I dont mean average, I mean terrible. Like constantly whiffing hooks, doing nothing but taking breathers, terrified of combat?

-MD-

A Reinhardt on the payload is all it takes to win, fellas.

Ya'll need to get good and learn these expert strats.

nOoblet16

Preach, haha.

I hear y'all, just thinking that maybe this conversation is focussed too much on eliminations. While the focus of the game really is on objectives. If a Widow has to retreat, or takes a buff. That's one less source of pressure/buff on the frontline etc. With hero switching and counter picking, these ebs and flows (should) be leveraged by a good team.

Or at least that's what I think Blizz was going for

As I said..."retreat" does nothing.

It's like taking out Torbjorn turrets without ever taking out the little fucker...it barely does anything since within 2 seconds its back to what it was. A widow that is putting pressure on the frontline gets chased to her teammates, good...you managed to keep pressure off for 2 seconds but now what ?

TheYanger

I'm sorry if I disrupted your group therapy sessions guys!

No, you made a dumb comment that acts as if reinhardt shields A) prevent all damage from hitting anyone on your team. B) don't have a measly 2000 health.

How to stop Reinhardt from doing shit to prevent widow from getting picks: Break his shield. Go inside of his shield and kill him. Knock him around. Use splash damage to ruin the team huddled in the 2x2 square he covers.

MUnited83

For you.
Lol for all the Widow elimination hysteria, what about taking and pushing objectives.

One Reinhardt, shield up, I'll cap that point and win the game thank you.

There's no TDM for a reason, this is an objective based game..
Reinhardt isn't going to do shit with his fast depleting shield, and you do realize that a good widowmaker will make their team go for the objective with barely any effort? I dont get your comment about TDM. A widowmaker killing people , removing them from the game and make then spawn in a very far away spawb point is hands down the best thing it can be done to make your team take the point.

just had a really good random session. Attack at King's Row. Started with Pharah but then switched to Winston because of sniper and to take out symmetra's turret.
had a good push. only spot we had was the choke point at the last checkpoint. luckily we didn't all rush in like fools one at a time. right at the very end with the payload on top of the checkpoint. my ult finally realized and I Q'ed so hard so i didn't die. got a few swings in. got stuck on a junkrat's trap but killed a few people close range. knocked some back and BOOM. VICTORY we had a few seconds left of course ;P

also got POTG with that last second Ult.

https://youtu.be/AfmtTWxEhF4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom