• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rad-

It's a weird choice. I do worry that Overwatch is going to eventually fall into WoW's arena season mentality

'This spec is just fucked. Maybe next arena it won't be. Too bad if you like this spec!'

As it stands, I don't know what purpose Hanzo has. His ult has become ridiculously niche, his damage is ok but Widowmaker is a far more consistent choice at higher levels, his area denial is nothing compared to Junkrat's.

Also now McCree has full damage mid range shots which was Hanzo territory.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

And require no charge time. And are hitscan.
And D Va's buffs are going to hurt Hanzo as well.

It's PTR but I'd love to know what Kaplan thinks Hanzo's role is because Hanzo could be in an even worse spot next patch than Zenyatta is now.

nOoblet16

And require no charge time. And are hitscan.
And D Va's buffs are going to hurt Hanzo as well.

It's PTR but I'd love to know what Kaplan thinks Hanzo's role is because Hanzo could be in an even worse spot next patch than Zenyatta is now.

McCree was always (and was suppose to be) good at mid range, it was only during the last nerf that they increased his damage drop off...which negatively affected his actual role.

He was never meant to be the tank shredder that he became before the nerf with FTH, but do you honestly think he was primarily intended to use his left click in close range considering how slow it fires?
He is the anti flanker who sticks close to the team and takes out anyone approaching them meaning he has to be good at mid range.

Hanzo's arrows still do more damage than McCree and how does a D.Va buff hurts Hanzo?

Grief.exe

It's a weird choice. I do worry that Overwatch is going to eventually fall into WoW's arena season mentality

'This spec is just fucked. Maybe next arena it won't be. Too bad if you like this spec!'

As it stands, I don't know what purpose Hanzo has. His ult has become ridiculously niche, his damage is ok but Widowmaker is a far more consistent choice at higher levels, his area denial is nothing compared to Junkrat's.

At least the barrier to entry to switching into a new hero is significantly lower in Overwatch, than WOW where you have to spend hundreds upon hundreds of hours gearing and levelling a new class.

It's inevitable in these type of games that the meta will switch and different playstyles and classes will come to prominence.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
McCree was always (and was suppose to be) good at mid range, it was only during the last nerf that they increased his damage drop off...which negatively affected his actual role.

He was never meant to be the tank shredder that he became before the nerf with FTH, but do you honestly think he was primarily intended to use his left click in close range considering how slow it fires?
He is the anti flanker who sticks close to the team and takes out anyone approaching them meaning he has to be good at mid range.

Hanzo's arrows still do more damage than McCree and how does a D.Va buff hurts Hanzo?

Hanzo's arrows doing more damage doesn't matter when they're projectiles vs McCree's instant hitscan weapons that are easier to headshot with. In the long range, McCree will dominate a character with falloff, I don't even know how you can argue this?

DVa's defense matrix gobbles up Scatter Arrow. The one move Hanzo really has to get away from a harassing tank. A Winston bubble you can run into and shred him. You can't do much against a Defense Matrix unless you're in a closed tunnel and at that point, DVa's guns have completely obliterated you.

Really? Not that I disagree too much (I like basically all the payload maps), but it does seem to be one that most others dislike.
I suppose I'm in the minirity then. I feel like it has some good longer lines of engagement, plenty of cover, interesting engagements with all of the second story buildings and ledges. As well as, the end portion of the map can be such an incredibly tense and fun clusterfuck that we all get funneled into at the end. I enjoy in more than a map like Dorado. Plus I love the art style and design. But blizzard has really nice art style and design on at least most of them maps anyway.

Rad-

Oh I don't mind McCree being great at mid range. He is the most fun hero to play imo so this is just good news to me. But I mind that Hanzo doesn't really have a purpose in the meta. Every other hero does something better than him. The only real point in taking him to a more serious team is his scattershot but it's not enough.

And McCree now deals more DPS than Hanzo in every range except long range (normal shots). Hanzo has higher damage but not higher DPS.

Ok, what's the best "attack" setup for Route 66? Especially the beginning part. In fact, attack setups in general for payload maps tend to have difficult spots.
I do well with Soldier 76 for attack there, as long as the rest of our team composition is good. Plenty of narrow long lines of sight, I can stay back and take out enemies, work up to the top, rain rockets and such down as we move the payload forward. Use my AOE heal on teammates near the payload. Lots of tight narrow areas where his primary weapon seems to be pretty effective. Also, because of his Ultimate, and the numerous ledges and high points and buildings I can walk out of to surprise the enemy team, it works pretty well for me usually. Basically long narrow lines of sight, and opportunities to flank and surprise enemy teams, and attack from elevated positions. Especially when they are down there in the valley of the map so to speak, brawling it out, and I can put a lot of damage onto our opponents in a relatively low-risk manner for me.

Honestly, attack for payload modes is pretty rough most of the time anyway, I just feel that map is an easier one for the attacking team, at least for me, in my experience.

Apparently you didnt play 30 to 49 ranks. Hanzo players are in abundances and cancerous.
Almost every match i would come across 1 hanzo player in my team.

I was going to say the same thing. Hanzo and Widow are auto picks in those ranks.

Also I dont any amount of hitbox nerfing or any kind of other changes will ever stop idiots from selecting Hanzo

I don't feel as though his utility was fully well known tbh. He's as slow as tanks without the health and an experienced Genji or Tracer isn't getting hit by his stun grenade, so his utility as an anti flanker is kind of bad to be honest.

Wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play completely differently a year from now.

Oh I don't mind McCree being great at mid range. He is the most fun hero to play imo so this is just good news to me. But I mind that Hanzo doesn't really have a purpose in the meta. Every other hero does something better than him. The only real point in taking him to a more serious team is his scattershot but it's not enough.

And McCree now deals more DPS than Hanzo in every range except long range (normal shots). Hanzo has higher damage but not higher DPS.

Don't really agree...I think Hanzo has better utility. No reload worries, able to get to high vantage points, vision arrow is amazing, scatter shot is great

matmanx1

I was going to say the same thing. Hanzo and Widow are auto picks in those ranks.

Also I dont any amount of hitbox nerfing or any kind of other changes will ever stop idiots from selecting Hanzo

I haven't played competitive since the PTR changes but in most of my matches in the mid 40's Hanzo gets picked but Widow rarely sees action. I've seen Widow more in Quick Play in the last couple of days but in competitive she was not picked nearly as often as other folks, which is fine with me.

I feel like either character is a fine pick in the hands of a good player who knows what they are doing but in a poor players hands I would rather have Hanzo than Widow. At least with Hanzo they might get lucky on the Ult and they can keep the wall-hack arrow up for the rest of us.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Apparently you didnt play 30 to 49 ranks. Hanzo players are in abundances and cancerous.

Bad players gravitate towards Hanzo for some weird reason. He's not that good of a hero. Other heroes do what he does better and that'll be even more true once the McCree buff goes through.

SDCowboy

That's the range I play in (sadly), and typically the only time I see him is the rare occasion when I play as him. And on the subject of once super popular hero's, I almost never see McCree anymore either. Can't remember the last time I saw one in the wilds of competitive play.

That's the range I play in (sadly), and typically the only time I see him is the rare occasion when I play as him. And on the subject of once super popular hero's, I almost never see McCree anymore either. Can't remember the last time I saw one in the wilds of competitive play.

He'll be viable again with his new balance changes.

They need to buff Symmetra in some way now. She's a huge rarity in ranked.

Kito

They need to buff Symmetra in some way now. She's a huge rarity in ranked.

Ability suggestions:
-On attack, you can stack shields on teammates. With every checkpoint, you can shield shielded teammates. Maximum of +50 shields on each teammate in this way.

Ult suggestions:
-Extra teleporter hp so that you can actually respond to 'my tp is being attacked'. (Perhaps a secondary weapon to make it level 2 a la Torb?)
-Teleporter can be embedded in walls instead of being limited to the same 2-3 spots that Tracers instafind.
-Sentry turret cooldown resets when your tp goes up to protect it.

Am I one of the few people that prefers playing live right now? Everybody seems about that PTR life.

It' just a fun getaway for me.

I'm trying to live that Zen life before they (hopefully) nerf him.

Ability suggestions:
-On attack, you can stack shields on teammates. With every checkpoint, you can shield shielded teammates. Maximum of +50 shields on each teammate in this way.

Ult suggestions:
-Extra teleporter hp so that you can actually respond to 'my tp is being attacked'. (Perhaps a secondary weapon to make it level 2 a la Torb?)
-Teleporter can be embedded in walls instead of being limited to the same 2-3 spots that Tracers instafind.

I'd be OK with those changes, maybe the teleporter already has a built in mini-sentry? Also, small thing, don't make me turn around when placing the teleporter.....just, wherever I'm facing is where teammates should be facing when I place it down, it's silly how you have to turn around and place it right now.

I think her turret cool down is really what needs buffing...after you get the initial 6 out, it takes FOREVER to even get back up to 3 turrets out simultaneously.

Also, her secondary fire, the orb, should be sped up. Right now you're basically just blasting it at a choke point and praying someone walks into it.

Two reapers and a junkrat on my team when they have a Mei, Pharah, and Genji. How is it that most people still don't know how to switch heroes and when to do it? We got destroyed because of those 3.

Thewonandonly

Two reapers and a junkrat on my team when they have a Mei, Pharah, and Genji. How is it that most people still don't know how to switch heroes and when to do it? We got destroyed because of those 3.
Na fuck you man reapers my best character idc if I died 25 times you should just protect me next time fucking scrub

Finalow

This seems incredibly unfair.

They had an idea, threw it on the test realm, and decided it wasn't worth it.

I mean, what more do you want form them here?
great balance isn't easy at all in this kind of games but you can't really pretend that it's unfair to say they often have/had a poor sense of balance. and this happens quite often in their other games too, just look at hearthstone or hots.
the good thing is they at least seem to recognize the issues and try to fix them, in this game anyway.
"they had an idea and then decided to test it" nothing wrong with that, but there is a difference between an idea that could work and an idea which clearly won't work. (>50% buff)
so no, it's not unfair if I *dare* to laugh at them deciding to buff mercy like that and then realize the obvious mistake only after the PTR patch went online.

Pooya

How am I supposed to climb when every game has leavers? 5 games in a row someone leaves, some on my team, some theirs, it's coin flip really. Everyone in chat had the same experience and so frustrated, cull these people already, how many times you have to leave to get banned? I can never get out of dumpster no matter how good I play :(

PTR is dead too, at least that was fun playing some Mccree, game is so baaad right now.

eek5

i'm a junkrat main bro why should i switch? i blame the two reapers, mei, pharah, and genji for not switching

Ability suggestions:

Ult suggestions:

How about this?

While Symmetra has a Teleporter deployed, at any point she can press her Ult button and teleport instantly to it, consuming one of it's usages.

This way, if you ever get suspicious someone is nearby, boom, you pop out and instantly attack them.

Also, her secondary fire, the orb, should be sped up. Right now you're basically just blasting it at a choke point and praying someone walks into it.

Have you tried just rapid firing it off? It's actually really fun.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
KOTH needs to be changed so that IF NOTHING ELSE you don't keep getting points at the same rate if the entire enemy team is contesting the point. like at the moment you can just stall out as a single person until your team arrives while losing absolutely no capture progress. it's dumb.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Gotta say though, one thing i noticed with ana is just how unsatisfying her sounds design (not just voice) is compared to the other heroes in the game.

Everything just sounds kinda.... limp.

Thewonandonly

How am I supposed to climb when every game has leavers? 5 games in a row someone leaves, some on my team, some theirs, it's coin flip really. Everyone in chat had the same experience and so frustrated, cull these people already, how many times you have to leave to get banned? I can never get out of dumpster no matter how good I play :(

PTR is dead too, at least that was fun playing some Mccree, game is so baaad right now.
Right it really is anoying as hell. I will have a close match where we barely defend the team. Then we rush the point and destroy them on attack and someone leaves. Everyone leaves and I would honesly say it's close to 60% of matches people leave....

Ability suggestions:

Ult suggestions:

Teleporting being able to attach to anything like her turrets would be amazing. Latch it on walls and ceilings. Although the troll possibilities increase too.

Actually the teleporter should be able to build it's own shield. More kills that Sym gets while it's up the more shield or armor it gets. But if Sym dies then it's all gone. And not turret kills, kills where she finishes the enemy off with her gun.

Finalow

they finally fixed arrows' hitboxes? He shoots actual arrows instead of tree logs now, wow.

on the other hand all those bad Hanzo players who single-handedly turn the game into a 7v5 are going to be even worse now.

Zemm

2 competitive matches in a row on hanamura should not be allowed, thankfully I won both otherwise there would have been trouble

Kito

How about this?

While Symmetra has a Teleporter deployed, at any point she can press her Ult button and teleport instantly to it, consuming one of it's usages.

This way, if you ever get suspicious someone is nearby, boom, you pop out and instantly attack them.

In this way she could blink out of enemy ults too, and protect the tp whilst people respawn.

KOTH needs to be changed so that IF NOTHING ELSE you don't keep getting points at the same rate if the entire enemy team is contesting the point. like at the moment you can just stall out as a single person until your team arrives while losing absolutely no capture progress. it's dumb.
I mean, if one player is able to stay alive and stall it against your entire team, then there's nothing wrong with the mechanics, just your team is really bad at taking care of one guy. I think it's fine. If you have the zone, no matter who's on it, you should get points for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom