• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I happen to think she's pretty good and she gets picked in tournaments right now ;w;

I love Symmetra in CP maps, she's devastating on those maps because of the natural choke points.

I've only played like 30 ranked matches, but honestly, I've come across maybe, 4 or 5 total Symmetras in all of those games.

Maybe she's more viable in higher ranks? I'm a 56 right now with a high of 59.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I mean, if one player is able to stay alive and stall it against your entire team, then there's nothing wrong with the mechanics, just your team is really bad at taking care of one guy. I think it's fine. If you have the zone, no matter who's on it, you should get points for it.

it's rare that it's one guy though, that was just an extreme example to highlight how ludicrous the current system is: you can essentially WIN a fight for the point (kill all but 1 or 2 of the enemies), still not cap it, and they get full-speed progress for losing a fight. if your entire team is on the point and they have fewer players, they should at least have a reduced progress rate.

I think 60 is about the limit of my abilities in this game. I've been jumping from 60-61 with about a 50% win rate since hitting 60. I can definitely feel my impact on the game being less whether I win or lose.

60 is a good place to be though. I'm happy. And maybe if I get a good group we could go on a streak and I could hit 65 or something.

Comp game. TFW someone ask you if you can play rein and tellt them you don't know how to play him but pick him anyways.

i might have to start to learn how to hold up a shield when someone wants me to play him.

I love Symmetra in CP maps, she's devastating on those maps because of the natural choke points.

I've only played like 30 ranked matches, but honestly, I've come across maybe, 4 or 5 total Symmetras in all of those games.

Played her for the first time last night on Defense in Numbani.

It was a blood bath. That laser is so good. Choke points serve as great turret spots / early warning probes, and then you put the teleporter somewhere else so they don't find it.

I held the point after a team wipe because people went after me long enough for the teleporter to bring everyone back lol.

Frostburn

This game desperately needs a mode between Quick Play and Competitive. I understand people just want to have fun, after all its quick play bra. But if I can play with people interested in doing decent without committing to a full competitive game that would be wonderful.

Attacking with Hanzo, Widowmaker, Zenyatta, McCree and Soldier 76 on Hollywood. I picked a tank since no one else had thinking McCree and Soldier will find Reinhardt's shield useful (I think the Soldier backed up into a position behind my shield running away from a Genji once. Switched to Diva since they had a Torb and snagged the first point. Got the payload into the middle part of the map in the stage area and pushed it up to the ramp area, thought the McCree went afk since he had his ult for the entire match up to this point without using it. Got killed a few times since I was solo on the cart and the enemy team grouped up. Game ended when Overtime expired since I was running back to the payload and the snipers were outside the stage area sniping from rooftops lol. 3 gold medals as tank Eliminations / Objective Kills / Objective Time.

I just want to log in and play a quick game every now and then and win instead of have 5-6 of one class and everyone just goofing off all the time. Reminds me of the lack of options in CS: GO, you either play some horrible 10 v 10 "quick play" game with a bunch of people screaming on the mics and baiting each other or a competitive 5v5 game for 35-60 min with steep penalties for leaving. Why can't there be a normal 5v5 mode in that game with the same rules as a real competitive game so people can practice things they can take into competitive?

Anne

She's pretty viable as is probably, low usage doesn't exactly mean she's bad. See her in situational comps and maps in events and high rank matches.

Honestly just think lower ranks don't run double support often, which is required to use her. Mercy being Mercy is a thing she has issues with competing with on CP/Payload and there's no real reason to pick her over Lucio/Mercy on KoTH.

In the maps and situations where her niche works out she's pretty good though. Dunno if that's good enough by other people's standards but I don't mind it. Def not something I would want to change until after we see the support shake up next patch.

Played her for the first time last night on Defense in Numbani.

It was a blood bath. That laser is so good. Choke points serve as great turret spots / early warning probes, and then you put the teleporter somewhere else so they don't find it.

I held the point after a team wipe because people went after me long enough for the teleporter to bring everyone back lol.

Yeah, got one of my first comp wins in a while last night, and most of it was due to playing Symmetra on the exact same map and keeping the enemy team from taking Point A. All it took was a Mei and my turrets watching the main flanking path through the hotel lobby, and alternating between spamming my alt fire down the two main lanes, and the enemy was never able to break through it. Especially on Numbani defense, Symmetra is a killer.

eek5

Comp game. TFW someone ask you if you can play rein and tellt them you don't know how to play him but pick him anyways.

i might have to start to learn how to hold up a shield when someone wants me to play him.

just run around holding left click and press e every 6 seconds. ez

you can do 360s and when people are behind you hold right click for a couple seconds then dash away to get pins

Gaz_RB

This game desperately needs a mode between Quick Play and Competitive. I understand people just want to have fun, after all its quick play bra. But if I can play with people interested in doing decent without committing to a full competitive game that would be wonderful.

Attacking with Hanzo, Widowmaker, Zenyatta, McCree and Soldier 76 on Hollywood. I picked a tank since no one else had thinking McCree and Soldier will find Reinhardt's shield useful (I think the Soldier backed up into a position behind my shield running away from a Genji once. Switched to Diva since they had a Torb and snagged the first point. Got the payload into the middle part of the map in the stage area and pushed it up to the ramp area, thought the McCree went afk since he had his ult for the entire match up to this point without using it. Got killed a few times since I was solo on the cart and the enemy team grouped up. Game ended when Overtime expired since I was running back to the payload and the snipers were outside the stage area sniping from rooftops lol. 3 gold medals as tank Eliminations / Objective Kills / Objective Time.

I just want to log in and play a quick game every now and then and win instead of have 5-6 of one class and everyone just goofing off all the time. Reminds me of the lack of options in CS: GO, you either play some horrible 10 v 10 "quick play" game with a bunch of people screaming on the mics and baiting each other or a competitive 5v5 game for 35-60 min with steep penalties for leaving. Why can't there be a normal 5v5 mode in that game with the same rules as a real competitive game so people can practice things they can take into competitive?

I don't know. Competitive mode is nice to blame but honestly the people I've played with in Quick Play have pretty much always been shit. Since before competitive mode came about you just had to take the good games with the bad. And if what you're saying actually holds water, shouldn't the other team be fucking around and playing poorly too? It seems pretty convenient that its just your teammates who aren't really playing seriously in QP.

There are reasons that QP matchmaking isn't great and maybe that should be looked into, but I don't think its because there are only two game modes.

I don't know. Competitive mode is nice to blame but honestly the people I've played with in Quick Play have pretty much always been shit. Since before competitive mode came about you just had to take the good games with the bad. And if what you're saying actually holds water, shouldn't the other team be fucking around and playing poorly too? It seems pretty convenient that its just your teammates who aren't really playing seriously in QP.

There are reasons that QP matchmaking isn't great and maybe that should be looked into, but I don't think its because there are only two game modes.

Thanks man.

Superflat

The moment someone pops up on voice chat and starts spitting venom at their own team, I get a sinking feeling because +90% of CP matches with someone like that on the team ends with a loss, from my experience.

"You suck at (hero chosen), do you know what you're doing"

"(hero chosen), why can't you even kill that (teleporter/mercy/low health character)"

Congrats, you just sealed the deal.

This type of player of course can't leave without saying "garbage team/I'm playing with a bunch of idiots"

I went up two ranks today after that match tho, so good riddance!

eek5

The moment someone pops up on voice chat and starts spitting venom at their own team, I get a sinking feeling because +90% of CP matches with someone like that on the team ends with a loss, from my experience.

"You suck at (hero chosen), do you know what you're doing"

"(hero chosen), why can't you even kill that (teleporter/mercy/low health character)"

Congrats, you just sealed the deal.

This type of player of course can't leave without saying "garbage team/I'm playing with a bunch of idiots"

I went up two ranks today after that match tho, so good riddance!

Toxic people are so dumb. I had a dude get toxic against our mei teammate even though we were up 2-0 in KOTH. Like wtf man we're winning chill the fuck out. (we lost the next 2 rounds because he tilted our own teamamte). Good job lol.

Ended up winning. Mei had 57 elims. Dude didn't even get a card. rip

I think Symmetra does need some sort of change though. I don't know why she is even in the Support section, for instance. She should be in the Defense section, because while she is more supportive in nature than Torb, she isn't really Support enough to be actually a Support, and especially not as a replacement for any other Support (looking at you, Team Tips!).
Her shields don't have that much of an impact, and her teleporter is a less reliable Mercy rez (since it can be destroyed).

I think if I had to change Symmetra to make her more viable, I'd give her this:
- She starts a match with all 6 turrets ready to be deployed, instead of only having 3 charges. This way, you can create your initial defense without being one or two turrets short because of walking out.
- Alternatively, give her some mobility option like a small rocket boost out of her boots when pressing space that allows her to traverse the map a bit faster, reach more annoying places for her sentries to be deployed, and also be able to get to her buildings faster if she feels like they're going to be attacked or they ARE being attacked.

- Make the health her shields give dependent on the base HP of the respective character. 25 shield points can be a life saver for a Tracer or a Zenyatta, but for a hero who is in the middle of things and soaking up damage, like a tank, those 25 points generally won't matter. Having 50 or 60 would make a difference though.

- Have her be able to recharge her ultimate when it is deployed, but only if it is actually being used. Have it be 5% for each use, so if all 6 charges are used, she has 30% charge for the next teleporter, or if it gets destroyed early, she'll at least have a small base to go off of.

This way, I think she would be a lot more valuable as both a Support character, and generally. She'd still be easily countered by plenty of characters, but she would at least have a lot more impact, especially in higher level play.

Getting sick of playing with teammates who are too afraid to die.

Happened today in Hanamura. I was using Winston and I leaped in to the first objective, got rid of the turret and used my ult to disrupt the enemy team. Once I died I see all my teammates still shooting near the gate not pushing forward at all when that was their best chance. I died in vain. :(

Hmm, idk if it's just cus I'm so low level on PC ATM (less than 5) but I just got moved from a skirmish game to another skirmish game and then finally a game. I guess cus it's late night in EU?

Getting used to branching out with new characters since I started playing again the past week. I've gotten into a pretty good groove with Soldier 76. He's just so damn versatile.

And I've been getting into Roadhog a bit as well, and having some fun with him too!

Happened today in Hanamura. I was using Winston and I leaped in to the first objective, got rid of the turret and used my ult to disrupt the enemy team. Once I died I see all my teammates still shooting near the gate not pushing forward at all when that was their best chance. I died in vain. :(

Same thing tends to happen to me in Hanamura when using D-Va.
Lure the opposing teams attention back to the point, cause ruckus, possibly "Nerf this", eventually die and realise everyone on your team was still by the front gate the entire time

Actually, worse may be when you're Mercy and you get stuck in a perpetual healing loop by the front gate as the damage dealers lean out, get a boo boo and retreat for heals, rinse and repeat.

they fixed something. there's video. they adjusted mei from what i heard. i'm going to try when ptr goes back up

They're changing projectile hitboxes, players noticed it in the PTR and Kaplan confirmed it yesterday in a stream.

Oh thank fucking God. The other day I got shot in just about the ass by a Hanzo as Mercy and he headshot me. And those hitboxes were so fucking infuriating anyway. There were 3 people playing Hanzo in that match. On attack. >.< We won of course but man was it a pain in the ass - no pun intended.

Gonna be a bit harder to land shit as Zenyatta, but I'll live; didn't get all that many headshots anyway.

I love how I'm always completely alone when it's like, the last 30 seconds of the map and nobody else is on the control point or payload, they're all off doing their thing. I so often get gold medals for objective time and all I do is just stand on it and die because the entire enemy team is there lol.

I've thrown my corpse onto a control point to extend Overtime so often, too.

ramyeon

I say it all the time, but I love the character roster in this game. I love going to different characters and it really breathes fresh air into matches. I had around an hour with Zarya last night and now I'm at like 2 or 3 because I had a string of great matches with her that made me want to get better.

It's so great playing characters at the bottom of my most played list.

Getting used to branching out with new characters since I started playing again the past week. I've gotten into a pretty good groove with Soldier 76. He's just so damn versatile.

And I've been getting into Roadhog a bit as well, and having some fun with him too!

Yeah I've been trying out the few characters that I haven't put in much time with and I'm honestly surprised that I like playing with nearly every character in the game. It's great because switching up the characters I play with helps keep things fresh. Symmetra and Zenyatta are surprisingly viable with the right team comps. Zen is going to be a beast with the faster ult and more shields. Can't wait for that update especially because of D.Va. She's so much fun to play with already.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hit 60 then tried solo q in competitive...that went about how I expected.

N9CfjxL.jpg

Had a Symmetra on KotH who then went to bastion even though we never had the point then quit. Then the train started. And, naturally, lost a rank for it too.

Other team just pushed spawn and wouldn't even be fun about anything, just kept killing me if I left. Feels bad man.

The hitbox change should affect Mei as well.
What was the change to hitboxes exactly? Apparently I missed it.

Yeah I've been trying out the few characters that I haven't put in much time with and I'm honestly surprised that I like playing with nearly every character in the game. It's great because switching up the characters I play with helps keep things fresh. Symmetra and Zenyatta are surprisingly viable with the right team comps. Zen is going to be a beast with the faster ult and more shields. Can't wait for that update especially because of D.Va. She's so much fun to play with already.

Hell yes!

And Zenyatta is one of my favorite characters...but he's clearly been a bit lacking in the past. Hopefully this buff makes him substantially more viable.

AngryMoth

Attacking on Hanamura, wait to see who my team picks. No support and no tanks. Didn't know where to be a healer or reinheart. We didn't make it through the first choke point once

Prelude.

vsynch off
borderless full window
set fps to unlimited or desktop

I get no screen tearing with those settings and no input lag due to vsynch
I have a few things running on my pc right now but I'm not getting a huge boost in fps, is it even worth it? I get 70 on desktop and about 75 with the fps limiter turned off.
The good thing is that I can have vsynch turned off, is it borderless full window that's preventing tearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom