• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zemm

Damn the matches can take a long time to finish when they go to 4-4. Blizz should just hand the win to the team that captured shit faster, ain't nobody got time for these matches.

And it's going to get worse with the new system. Sometimes I think 'oh I'll play some competitive', then I remind myself of 50 minute matches on Anubis, hanamura and volskaya and don't bother.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
And it's going to get worse with the new system. Sometimes I think 'oh I'll play some competitive', then I remind myself of 50 minute matches on Anubis, hanamura and volskaya and don't bother.

Maybe they would just do time bank with lesser rounds? Certainly doesn't have to go to that many rounds all the time.

abundant

Yeah the Time Bank system is not the way to go. The matches go on way too long, making you hate maps you may have liked in the past and making you dread maps you already hated.

Maybe they would just do time bank with lesser rounds? Certainly doesn't have to go to that many rounds all the time.
Even if it goes to the second round , the matches are still way too long.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yeah those drawn out matches can suck the souls out of you. Had an Anubis where we played attack and defense twice then ultimately decided by the dumb coinflip.

I was reading a Kotaku article earlier which was quite interesting, it was talking about how the 40-50 minute competitive matches are at odds with the design of Overwatch which is intended to have short but sweet matches. I feel inclined to agree, and it's part of the reason why I still haven't touched competitive. I just can't see myself being able to play the same match for that long.

Moonkeis

Reaper player: "Group up! Follow me" proceeds to teleport across where no one else can access and then complains no one followed him. -.-

Aside from me just being bad, it's one of the reasons I won't bother playing competitive except to get the participation spray/icon. (still on the way to 25...)

Papercuts

Reaper player: "Group up! Follow me" proceeds to teleport across where no one else can access and then complains no one followed him. -.-

"I NEED HEALING"
"I NEED HEALING"
"I NEED HEALING"

- Genji, behind the entire enemy team.

Bastion in general is pretty adorable actually. Makes me sad that he isn't as viable.
Bastion (alongside Winston) was the character that I really wanted to play as when I looked at the cast. I adore cute robots.

Unfortunately, I just don't like his playstyle at all. He's just not satisfying at all and he feels so barebones, compared to Winston who's incredibly satisfying to use because of his mobility.

Antiwhippy

2 widows on attack.

In ranked.

Huh.

At least it was on the opposing team.

Also I gained way too much rank for facing 2 widows on attack. It's like nearly a level. I seriously have no idea how the ranking system works sometimes.

2 dva on attack on hanamura. one toxic player being toxic and me being bm because i'm hanzo and working on aim and they're like calling me a retard to tell me to take out the turret. and lvl 1 that's sitting on the spot right behind that open hole in the gate. would be nice they lured the turrent to shoot it or better yet they could have taken it out too. but whatever

but this is PTR QP.

we'll probably meet up on live server. until then all the lulz to them

Prelude.

I was reading a Kotaku article earlier which was quite interesting, it was talking about how the 40-50 minute competitive matches are at odds with the design of Overwatch which is intended to have short but sweet matches. I feel inclined to agree, and it's part of the reason why I still haven't touched competitive. I just can't see myself being able to play the same match for that long.
Most of the times comp matches are not even 20-30 mins long. My average is 12 minutes.

Antiwhippy

Speaking of hanzo, I actually managed to win a ranked match with him (this was during my nadir of not giving a fuck due to rank loss) and then I went on a winning streak and gained back all that I lost right after.

Maybe I should play hanzo in ranked more.

abundant

Sorry, I should've specified, I mean spread out. Like, Lucio would only be able to heal one at a time anyway spread out. :/

Doesn't matter. Lucio would still be a better choice, due to his mobility making him a harder target to take down. Of course that only works if they don't have a Junkrat, Pharah, or Zarya (due to their splash damage) on their team, at least in my experience.

Mutombo

why isn't it possible to refill the spot that someone leaves when leaving a ranked game with a solo player looking for a quick match? seriously, the only reason i got hammered is because of folks leaving for god knows what reason. Refill it with a random level 25 player or something. People leave way too easily, and it pretty much is an instant loss for your team.

Davidion

Speaking of hanzo, I actually managed to win a ranked match with him (this was during my nadir of not giving a fuck due to rank loss) and then I went on a winning streak and gained back all that I lost right after.

Maybe I should play hanzo in ranked more.

Nooooooooo......

Afro

Can something be done w/ Lucio's primary attack? Those weak-ass, slow moving projectiles are so useless I actually completely removed the keybind and use his push back w/ left-click since the cooldown is so quick and seems to disorient people pretty well.

All those blub-blub-blub projectiles seem to do is to draw unwanted attention to me when I'm just trying to stay alive and rack up the healing points by playing super passively. Feels like Blizz just threw in the attack so Lucio players could feel like they were actually doing something other than mindlessly gliding around auto-healing the team.

I'll probably ditch Lucio for Zen in the upcoming patch b/c he's just boring to use after the whole wall riding thing loses its charm.

Can something be done w/ Lucio's primary attack? Those weak-ass, slow moving projectiles are so useless I actually completely removed the keybind and use his push back w/ left-click since the cooldown is so quick and seems to disorient people pretty well.

All those blub-blub-blub projectiles seem to do is to draw unwanted attention to me when I'm just trying to stay alive and rack up the healing points by playing super passively. Feels like Blizz just threw in the attack so Lucio players could feel like they were actually doing something other than mindlessly gliding around auto-healing the team.

I'll probably ditch Lucio for Zen in the upcoming patch b/c he's just boring to use after the whole wall riding thing loses its charm.
His primary attack is good for taking out turrets, at least - since they can't move you just need to fire off a burst, hide, and repeat until it's dead.
Doesn't matter. Lucio would still be a better choice, due to his mobility making him a harder target to take down. Of course that only works if they don't have a Junkrat, Pharah, or Zarya (due to their splash damage) on their team, at least in my experience.
That's a fair point. I still think in that situation I prefer Mercy but I guess Lucio would do pretty well.
Most of the times comp matches are not even 20-30 mins long. My average is 12 minutes.
Huh, interesting. What rank are you?
lol this happened to me and all my teammates were Tracers and Genjis <_<
they're all team players! :p

Antiwhippy

I really don't get reinhardts who just keeps charging to point though. Do they not try to evaluate that they're being a waste of space after the first few deaths?

Spray left click both side of people's head. Idk all my shots are aimed at their head. But I have no problem with Lucio. I even do fine with speed boost on

Davidion

I mean i did kinda ok? Took out their pharah in the sky, scatter their reinhardt who keeps charging in which kinda indicated that the other team was fucked, generally wasn't a massive liability i think. :p

Haha, what's always annoying about these problematic characters that everyone has an issue with is the fact that the good ones are REALLY good for the team.

It's just that most of the time...

Papercuts

You can do the same thing with Lucio that you can with Mercy/Dva pistol, prefire it near a corner since it's so delayed and have people eat damage coming through a choke. It's not going to be slaying the whole team but everything helps.

I really don't get reinhardts who just keeps charging to point though. Do they not try to evaluate that they're being a waste of space after the first few deaths?
It actually works really well if you have a Lucio to speed boost the rest of your team. Had a match where I was Lucio and I saw Rein charge in there(Kings Row) so I said "fuck it" and sped the rest of my team in there. It was our first push and got it right away. So a charging Rein can actually be a good thing if the rest of your team takes charge with him.

peakish

They don't push a ton of damage and are tricky to aim with, but 15 hp per hit can make a difference in a fight. Spam shields, spam corners where you expect enemies to pop up, try to cut off a character that is escaping with them, aim at low health enemies, etc.

maomaoIYP

2 dva on attack on hanamura. one toxic player being toxic and me being bm because i'm hanzo and working on aim and they're like calling me a retard to tell me to take out the turret. and lvl 1 that's sitting on the spot right behind that open hole in the gate. would be nice they lured the turrent to shoot it or better yet they could have taken it out too. but whatever

but this is PTR QP.

we'll probably meet up on live server. until then all the lulz to them

This absolutely works for attack on hanamura. Better than playing footsies with the defending team at the chokepoint. Fly in, take the point and force the defenders to follow you.

Nazo

I keep encountering this really odd phenomenon with PS4 Phara players. I've seen several just fly up to a sniper perch and just pelt rockets from on high and never leave their perch just slowly pelting rockets that the enemy team can easily dodge at that distance.

Why? What the hell makes them think that'll work? Like, you can fly. DO IT.

I'm glad I don't see it happen too often but man, that shit is the worst.

Why the fuck can't the game matchmake someone into a ranked match? We captured 1 of the Hanamura points but not both so obviously some idiot decided to bail out, but there's no reason Blizzard couldn't stick someone in there and we could win. Tell you what, why don't you nearly eliminate losing penalties for the person who joined late?

Why the fuck can't the game matchmake someone into a ranked match? We captured 1 of the Hanamura points but not both so obviously some idiot decided to bail out, but there's no reason Blizzard couldn't stick someone in there and we could win. Tell you what, why don't you nearly eliminate losing penalties for the person who joined late?
Because unlike quick play, if you leave you can rejoin the match. Allowing people to fill the spot would likely remove that safety net which would fuck people that get dced and come back, and after that period you can already leave anyways if you don't want to play.

You can't expect someone that joins in a in progress match to perform well anyways, it feels like shit to join a game that is completely fucked beyond repair and be expected to just instantly grasp whats going on and where do you stand in the team.

abundant

Because people would complain? You already have people complaining about joining mid match in QP, joining mid match in Comp would make them complain even more.

Because unlike quick play, if you leave you can rejoin the match. Allowing people to fill the spot would likely remove that safety net which would fuck people that get dced and come back, and after that period you can already leave anyways if you don't want to play.

This too.

Ramirez

I know Overbuff's numbers are somewhat biased to people who use the site, but I don't care.

Seeing numbers like this makes me feel good even so:

We should play together.

I also like to think anyone who actually cares about competitive has checked out that site, so I'd say the numbers aren't too far off, if at all.

patchday

Because people would complain? You already have people complaining about joining mid match in QP, joining mid match in Comp would make them complain even more.

that's because people were not aware they got bonus xp + the loss didn't count. most gamers were totally clueless unfortunately

Anyway I dont play ranked due to the possibility of long matches. had my feel of that in moba

Esc > Social then mute team and match chat. Gotta do it every time you boot the game but its THE BEST
Is that just audio? Don't see an option for text :p

Edit ah I see it! Thank you :) glad I will no longer be told to fuck myself for being shit by people who have a higher death rate and lower elim rate than me. :p

patchday

yeah I wonder why they added that feature. Just feels like it was not fully fleshed out. I was hoping ranked would have short matches like Quick play.

so far I jkust stick with Hearthstone for ranked cause I enjoy quick & satisfying matches. But I still play the other Overwatch modes. Hoping ranked gets better with the patch that stops hero stacks. then I will play

psyfi

Banned
I'm surprised to see so many people diss the long matches in competitive. I really love them, it adds a building feeling of intensity and competition. It does feel unnecessarily long sometimes, but that's never taken away from my enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom