• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramyeon

Im sure this has been discussed before, but whats with the POTG recently? They have been so disappointing. I feel like Ive made better plays sometimes.
They've been terrible. I've seen Mercys get them for single revives and others get them for two regular kills (Not double kills even) in the past few days.
I've seen "Torb does nothing" PotG's online before, but recently I saw one live in one of my games. He had just died, so he respawned and all he did was run back to the point. His turret got his kills though, so he got PotG.
I saw one on Anubis the other day that was literally just the camera focused on Symmetra's slumped over corpse against a wall as her sentries killed people.

This was in QuickPlay. I don't fuck with her in ranked.

In the high 50s/low 60s rankings, everyone is too good / smart for Symmetra to be useful IMO and I main Zarya and Tracer in ranked pretty much exclusively.

Symmetra is a waste of a hero in ranked right now.

I'm at this same rank and just won with a Sym

she's limited to what maps she's useful in though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I found this thread on reddit interesting. Basically a guy that only plays Torb, no matter what, hit rank 80. But there's a post that looked into his profile more, specifically compared to other high ranks, and he seems to have a much worse win rate on average (~10% lower) compared to the people around him. It made it seem like he got a huge benefit from getting contributions to fight with essentially an aimbot turret even if he didn't actually help that much, which would make him lose a lot less points than other players while making his wins climb a lot.

Which is fucking stupid.

Especially if the inverse is really happening with supports.

Veelk

Banned
I found this thread on reddit interesting. Basically a guy that only plays Torb, no matter what, hit rank 80. But there's a post that looked into his profile more, specifically compared to other high ranks, and he seems to have a much worse win rate on average (~10% lower) compared to the people around him. It made it seem like he got a huge benefit from getting contributions to fight with essentially an aimbot turret even if he didn't actually help that much, which would make him lose a lot less points than other players while making his wins climb a lot.

Which is fucking stupid.

Especially if the inverse is really happening with supports.

I....I just don't know how you even DO that.

Torbjorn is so boring to play. Exclusivity to any hero seems insane to me, but especially Torbjorn.

I....I just don't know how you even DO that.

Torbjorn is so boring to play. Exclusivity to any hero seems insane to me, but especially Torbjorn.

I've had fun with him, but mostly because I don't just sit around playing turret babysitter. Torbjorn's fun if you just let the turret fend for itself for a while (but keep an eye out to hit your ult if you see it taking fire) and run out into the fray sniping off shots and collecting scrap for creating armor. Had one match on Hanamura where Objective B was swimming in armor packs, as my turret and the rest of the team just kept picking off enemies and I kept running up to grab the results.

Prelude.

Getting that Torb achievement for the armor is surprisingly hard. Even at times when I'm fully stocked up on scrap there's always some rogue Hanzo or whatever on a solo mission around the map and I quickly run out of armor by helping other teammates before he comes back. (usually from the spawn)

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Fuck Sudden Death to Motherfucking hell

We beat the team 4 minutes remaining while they took the whole time, yet we get picked on coin flip and have to do it again in under 1:35

Give us the Motherfucking Win, we beat them with 4:00 minutes remaining, why on earth would you let a team who took like 11:30 minutes to get the payload across, yet ours does it in 6:00, we get penalized and lose cause they stack certain chars at th start and make us move it to a checkpoint which is more difficult for Attacking teams

You almost have to go 4 Tank heavy and Healers, its fucking annoying

I mean, I don't think the current ranking system is shit. I think he articulated a lot of the issues with how it is viewed in that interview - not being a progression system etc. And I think a lot of the problem is that people feel the need for that number to constantly be going up, when really it's not going to be that way.

As he also mentioned, the 1--100 number system makes people misunderstand. 40-50 sounds bad to people but on this scale it is completely average, and a lot of people are actually just going to be average no matter how good they think they are. Not everyone is going to be a pro with a rank of 80-something, and for the non-pro players a rank like 60 is fucking good.

A lot of the issues with it are misunderstandings of the system. Never tried the beta system but it also sounded fine to me. Obviously the community hated it enough for it to be promptly changed - perhaps they should have stuck to their guns more.

Spot on, there is a lot of people in for a rude awakening with an ELO based system. The skill gap every 10 level's is big enough most people won't get over unless they really do improve. I'm sorry but those who complain about being a lower level than what they think they *should* be but played 50+ matches... you can't blame it all on your team... the problem is you (the player) as well. How is blizzard politely going to say, "hey, we're sorry but you're average at best, you won't pass 55 (or whatever number you're stuck on) unless you improve", they clearly won't, which is why they wanted a progression based system instead... Sure, sometimes someone is dealt a shitty hand and a string of losses causes them to lose a lot of ranks, but if you really are as good as you think you are, you'll be back in no time.

Zemm

The competitive mode is definitely shitty and it's a really boring design too. Should do something like leagues or whatever, I dunno, but spruce it up a bit instead of one single bar that goes up or down. Proper yawnfest.

Eric WK

I find this hard to believe, I dropped 6 ranks in 6 losses yesterday, and was one of if not the top performer in every game, lol.

From what Kaplan said in his long-ass MMR post, it compares your performance with that hero on that map against the player average for that same hero/map combo and that's how the individual part comes into play. It's not just how well you did compared to your team in that match.

My feeling is that it's a very minor aspect of the MMR calculation, though. Result, solo vs. grouped, team MMR difference are the biggest factors.

There was a big post on /r/overwatchuniversity where they did a solo-queue simulation and found that a difference of just one MMR average between teams is enough to double your MMR loss if you're the favorite and you lose.

I do wish there was more transparency and separate ranks for solo/team queuing would be good, but for the most part I feel like the system has done a damn good job of separating players based on skill, at least on Xbox.

TFW you keep getting matched with shit teams so you play as Bastion just to remember what winning feels like before quitting for the day.

I mean, come on. I had 32 kills with Roadhog, gold in elims, objective elims, and objective time. And we lost KOTH badly. I can complain about my team, right? That one at least. :)

Kito

I killed a Mercy meme style at her spawn with Ana, lol. Sleep, emote, grenade, rifle. Her team won anyway, so I don't feel bad. I was planning to just disrupt all respawners with sleep darts.

TFW you keep getting matched with shit teams so you play as Bastion just to remember what winning feels like before quitting for the day.

I mean, come on. I had 32 kills with Roadhog, gold in elims, objective elims, and objective time. And we lost KOTH badly. I can complain about my team, right? That one at least. :)
Best/worst is when you have gold elims and objective time yet people tell you to stop being so shit in chat

:/

Best/worst is when you have gold elims and objective time yet people tell you to stop being so shit in chat

:/

That exact thing happened actually. An aggressively mediocre Soldier kept chastising us because we didn't have a Winston, but refused to switch himself. He kept saying "it's over" when the opposing team got to 30%. And called us all sorts of names when we lost. What a total shithead.

cyborg009

Banned
So I thought this match was going be a bust but instead we gave the other team a nasty case of NaCl.

g45OgeX.jpg

Y5ATU19.jpg

Mk3LOEg.jpg

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Depends on how many rounds you go, but I feel like 30+ elims isn't enough for KotH anymore. Maybe for 2 rounds. In 1 match I had 50+ kills in 3 rounds and I didn't even get a medal.

That exact thing happened actually. An aggressively mediocre Soldier kept chastising us because we didn't have a Winston, but refused to switch himself. He kept saying "it's over" when the opposing team got to 30%. And called us all sorts of names when we lost. What a total shithead.
Well you see, if he wasn't soldier 76, you wouldn't have a soldier 76!
the same thing has happened to me but with Pharah lmao

This game hates me, man. Was on a nice streak, nearly at 50., game UI suddenly disappears to where I can't select a character and have to quit out, so it drops me down a level...

Wow it dropped me two levels for the game crashing. Dang, game. I've stayed in matches where it was me vs 6. Cut me some slack.

Kuro

I used to main D.VA but I feel like she's OP now with that Matrix. They should have just given her better damage fall off.

Watching envy play comp is brutal. They are just stomping everyone in there paths. They shouldn't even be allowed to do this lol. I feel bad for the people they play that don't know who they are. Although I can't imagine knowing who they are and seeing that you're being put up against them.

Also, Tailspin sounds like he's either REALLY tired or on drugs lol.

Veelk

Banned
I think most of the maps are pretty good. But temple of anubis seems to favor defenders much more. The bottle neck entrance point for the attackers takes forever to get through alone, but symmetra is a goddamn nightmare with all the places she can hide her turrets and teleporters. I've tried, but no hero I use seems to be a strong fit to just push through in that particular map.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
From what Kaplan said in his long-ass MMR post, it compares your performance with that hero on that map against the player average for that same hero/map combo and that's how the individual part comes into play. It's not just how well you did compared to your team in that match.

My feeling is that it's a very minor aspect of the MMR calculation, though. Result, solo vs. grouped, team MMR difference are the biggest factors.

There was a big post on /r/overwatchuniversity where they did a solo-queue simulation and found that a difference of just one MMR average between teams is enough to double your MMR loss if you're the favorite and you lose.

I do wish there was more transparency and separate ranks for solo/team queuing would be good, but for the most part I feel like the system has done a damn good job of separating players based on skill, at least on Xbox.

The underdog system seems really bad in practice even if I get the idea, it shouldn't kick in unless there's something like a 5 level difference happening or something.

Watching envy play comp is brutal. They are just stomping everyone in there paths. They shouldn't even be allowed to do this lol. I feel bad for the people they play that don't know who they are. Although I can't imagine knowing who they are and seeing that you're being put up against them.

Also, Tailspin sounds like he's either REALLY tired or on drugs lol.

Thats the crazy bit. When they're just fooling around they still stomp, you still see the synergy without much comms on their part. They spend a majority of the time making fun of Internethulk's Genji or Cocco in general.

And then when they do decide to "try hard" it's complete and absolute murder. Constant call outs, kill order call outs, change of targets call outs. It's insane.

I think most of the maps are pretty good. But temple of anubis seems to favor defenders much more. The bottle neck entrance point for the attackers takes forever to get through alone, but symmetra is a goddamn nightmare with all the places she can hide her turrets and teleporters. I've tried, but no hero I use seems to be a strong fit to just push through in that particular map.

One thing that I'm beginning to realize is that Symm can hole up in that room just to the right (from the defender's POV), the one that leads around to the bridge, and just WRECK people there. Throw up a couple of sentries on the other arch, and your remaining 4 inside that room, and spam spam spam altfire into people trying to push. When they try and come after you, fall back a little, and when they try and spin around to deal with the turrets, melt 'em. Very nice.

Zemm

The underdog system seems really bad in practice even if I get the idea, it shouldn't kick in unless there's something like a 5 level difference happening or something.

Hey man that full 6 group going up against a team full of solo people are definitely underdogs because they're one rank less! There's just no way they can win!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Anubis is definitely sym's fortress. Need a roadhog or reaper to take care of those pesky winstons though.

Actually I would never play Sym without at least a hog or reaper in the team.

i was hoping the qp on hanamura we would have won. but it took unless probably the last 50 seconds to capture the first point. because they couldn't break through the gate even with someone playing pharah. had to go junkrat and get them from the back. i was trying to look for them for point B but apparently the've been dying 1 by 1 RIP.

Ramirez

Really wish Blizzard could find a way to put dumb fucks who only play one hero in their own special hell.

So sick of people who I match with every night playing only DVa, Hanzo, or Genji no matter the opposing team comp.

Really wish Blizzard could find a way to put dumb fucks who only play one hero in their own special hell.

So sick of people who I match with every night playing only DVa, Hanzo, or Genji no matter the opposing team comp.
Believe it or not, I've run into a guy named "only plays Genji" on PS4. Checked his career profile, yeah he only plays Genji, I don't get it, I really don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom