• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I guess in a way, but all it takes is one switch to Winston who is still king shit in koth and you've wasted the initial setup even if it was successful.

peakish

There more i see sym on koth the more i feel that she's a liability in that mode.
Her teleporter can easily win KOTH games if the position is secured, which admittedly is more difficult with her as a pick. If she is switched off after a first failed attempt I won't blame the player for trying her out. I think there are much worse picks a team can make, like having too few tanks, no Lucio or the IMHO suboptimal single support comp.

Prelude.

From my experience Symmetra is amazing on all hybrid maps and dorado on defense. Anubis is also ok. Hollywood in particular is my favorite maps to use her.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
http://kotaku.com/overwatchs-director-on-competitive-controversies-and-1783869335

'Jeff Kaplan: This phrase always has a negative connotation to it because most people think it’s not possible, but we love the super competitive side of the game and we love the fun content side of the game too—making fun skins and making wacky brawls. We are going to try our damnedest to have our cake and eat it, too. Until we prove to ourselves otherwise, that we can’t make a really competitive game that also has super fun casual elements to it, we believe that we can make that game.'

so basically, competitive and brawl are their focus going forward. rip in peace overwatch.

Prelude.

Blizzard pls release now

SLrW4OX.jpg

Competitive is great, I never really play brawls.

It does feel like a competitive game that can also be fun and casual though, which is what he said he wanted.

What would you like them to focus attention on?
Yeah, other than sudden death and hero stacking, comp is a lot of fun. Plus, they are removing both of those problems in the future. I feel brawls are more personal preference. If you don't like Pharah or mercy, you're not gonna like the pharmercy brawl, but you would if you heavily played those characters. As soon as they remove the two big comp problems, the game is gonna be in a pretty solid state.

Pooya

the background updates usually go up way earlier than a day before release for other games, I don't think it's coming tomorrow.

They said they want to do another balance pass before pushing it to live too. It's probably next week.

This seemed more interesting to me from that article:

In terms of content updates, my ideal—and this is not like some promise to the players because there’s going to be times when this doesn’t happen—but the dream to me would be that we would have some sort of awesome content or feature coming out each month. That could be a map or a hero or something like Competitive Play, or just like, “Here’s a bunch of new skins,” or, “Here’s some unexpected thing that we came up.”

I’m saying that with a wink towards next month. My dream is that we could do something cool each month that felt not just like a balance patch, but actually felt like a meaningful content or feature delivery each month and somehow the heroes and the maps are kind of cycling as parts of those things in addition to other stuff.
I wonder what they have planned for next month. And the ideal monthly update is encouraging.

Also:
I think that’s up to Sombra, to give you a cheeky answer. Sombra will let people know when she wants more to be known about her. She’s very good at that sort of thing.
For anyone still in denial. Yes Sombra exists, and yes she's a stealth character.

From my experience Symmetra is amazing on all hybrid maps and dorado on defense. Anubis is also ok. Hollywood in particular is my favorite maps to use her.

Symmetra is my most played character by far - I love her on basically all Defense maps except Volskaya. There are some great places for turrets in Hanamura, especially point A. Dorado is pretty great for her as well. When the game first came out, I could clean up with Symmetra on Route 66, but people have sort of wisened up to where her turrets are going to go on that map.

I agree, though, that Hollywood is my favorite map for her because at the initial capture point all the way through the first payload checkpoint, there are plenty of places to really screw with the attacking team. I always switch off her if the team manages to make it to the first payload point, but they rarely do when I'm playing as her.

Also, since I haven't yet shown off my MasterOverwatch scores:

YFnQAjb.png

Random question about the MasterOverwatch scoring - sometimes I see in the "recent sessions" box that some of my heroes have a "-1" in the loss section instead of just a 1. Does that mean something? Because the win/loss ratio it gives never quite adds up to the wins/losses attributed to my characters.

peakish

Only 6v6 premades for comp sounds pretty cool, could maybe make the game more social as you're forced to group with a lot of folks. The game would need persistent chat channels for it but that should honestly be a thing regardless. They're spot on with that the ranking system doesn't feel like a measurement of your skill in the current incarnation, I wonder what changes they'll make to the presentation.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
If you read that interview and your take was "rip overwatch" you should move on to a different game because everything he says in that interview is positive.

nah i'm exaggerrating, it's broadly positive. i just don't like companies chasing the competitive scene though. if your game is fun you don't have to incentivise it with ranks and the chance to grind for a golden weapon.

Symmetra is a blast to play as, given the right circumstances. So many fun characters.

Is Sym viable on defense for payload? Is she only suited to stationary areas on defense?

Depends on the map. She's downright lethal on Dorado, and she puts in some great work slowing people down up to the first checkpoint on Route 66. Do NOT, under any circumstances, attempt to use her on Gibraltar. Just don't.

In terms of hybrids, she's great for holding the first point on Hollywood and Mumbani, but I'd ditch her after that. King's Row is sort of a mixed bag, she's (again) DYNAMITE on the first point, decent afterwards but of diminishing value the further back the enemy manages to push you, and totally useless in the final stretch.

The general pattern with her is that she's very good at holding first points, largely irrelevant afterwards.

I think she is a bad choice for Payload defense beyond the first cap, and on some Payload maps, she downright should not be used. Her strength is KOTH still and the permanent chokepoints on those maps.

She's awful on most KOTH maps, lol. No good place to put the teleporter means she's effectively operating with only her turrets and gun, since the shields certainly don't contribute anything of value.

peakish

have they made any indication that they'll move away from 20 tick servers in the future?
IIRC in an interview or forum post shortly after launch Kaplan talked about a lot of things being in the pipeline, among other things 60hz as a default. He wouldn't commit to it or anything else definitely happening, or to a timeline, just that they were hoping to do it once it's been properly tested from people playing Custom.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Fuck man just had a duo that was a 50 & 36 on my team, why the fuck is a 36 allowed to play with 55+ players

Should be at least 5-10 gap not 15-20+

Jeff had it right. The community never gave the beta rank system a fair shot, now we're stuck with this shit skill rating system that emphasizes individual play and effort over anything else.

Depends on the map. She's downright lethal on Dorado, and she puts in some great work slowing people down up to the first checkpoint on Route 66. Do NOT, under any circumstances, attempt to use her on Gibraltar. Just don't.

In terms of hybrids, she's great for holding the first point on Hollywood and Mumbani, but I'd ditch her after that. King's Row is sort of a mixed bag, she's (again) DYNAMITE on the first point, decent afterwards but of diminishing value the further back the enemy manages to push you, and totally useless in the final stretch.

The general pattern with her is that she's very good at holding first points, largely irrelevant afterwards.

She's awful on most KOTH maps, lol. No good place to put the teleporter means she's effectively operating with only her turrets and gun, since the shields certainly don't contribute anything of value.

Purely anecdotal, but I will drop 40+ with her regularly on Ilios, Lijang and Nepal.

I agree though, she is an OK to good option defending the first point, then you pretty much should switch off her after that.

Purely anecdotal, but I will drop 40+ with her regularly on Ilios, Lijang and Nepal.

I agree though, she is an OK to good option defending the first point, then you pretty much should switch off her after that.

Man, I wish I was playing against those kinds of teams, lol. All those maps, I can't even put down a teleporter anywhere worthwhile without it getting blown up almost immediately. And about 2/3 of 'em don't have any remotely worthwhile turret spots!

Man, I wish I was playing against those kinds of teams, lol. All those maps, I can't even put down a teleporter anywhere worthwhile without it getting blown up almost immediately. And about 2/3 of 'em don't have any remotely worthwhile turret spots!

This was in QuickPlay. I don't fuck with her in ranked.

In the high 50s/low 60s rankings, everyone is too good / smart for Symmetra to be useful IMO and I main Zarya and Tracer in ranked pretty much exclusively.

Symmetra is a waste of a hero in ranked right now.

Day 3 playing Overwatch, go for Mercy since the team has no supports yet and I don't want to go Lucio again. Get praise from entire team for playing a good Mercy #feelsgood.

Defending on Temple of Anubis, after a match of zooming around to just about everybody, boosting and healing and rezzing individual team members rather than trying to wait for a PotG cluster, somebody in the chat wrote "our mercy was bae" and it was the best compliment I've ever gotten playing this game.

Agree with most of this, but YMMV on Gibraltar. She's tricky to get much use before the first checkpoint (I usually stick her turrets on the side flank behind the buildings, just so I know when somebody is trying to sneak around that way), but once the payload starts up that hill, I've helped hold so many teams at bay by turreting up that one side doorway that everybody tries to flank through. That, plus the teleporter placed up high to get the team back more quickly, has held back a lot of enemy pushes. If the enemies get past that checkpoint, though, yeah, it's time to switch.

Zemm

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiv...ow_are_we_all_still_content_that_torktjo_and/

I'm glad someone made this thread and it's getting a lot of replies.

Seeing these players who are banned from CSGO or other games for cheating yet walking into some of the top teams is just really weird. Makes the tournament scene a bit of a joke.

Code7 went from a top 15 team to probably 2nd best within 2 weeks, with two notorious cheaters on there team, it's just like, how could you ever trust that team is legit now?

Taimou was 100% aimbotting in beta (probably isn't anymore) as well and he's on the best team.

Steel and AZK banned from CSGO for life for match fixing etc.

They're everywhere.

ramyeon

Jeff had it right. The community never gave the beta rank system a fair shot, now we're stuck with this shit skill rating system that emphasizes individual play and effort over anything else.
I mean, I don't think the current ranking system is shit. I think he articulated a lot of the issues with how it is viewed in that interview - not being a progression system etc. And I think a lot of the problem is that people feel the need for that number to constantly be going up, when really it's not going to be that way.

As he also mentioned, the 1--100 number system makes people misunderstand. 40-50 sounds bad to people but on this scale it is completely average, and a lot of people are actually just going to be average no matter how good they think they are. Not everyone is going to be a pro with a rank of 80-something, and for the non-pro players a rank like 60 is fucking good.

A lot of the issues with it are misunderstandings of the system. Never tried the beta system but it also sounded fine to me. Obviously the community hated it enough for it to be promptly changed - perhaps they should have stuck to their guns more.

This was in QuickPlay. I don't fuck with her in ranked.

In the high 50s/low 60s rankings, everyone is too good / smart for Symmetra to be useful IMO and I main Zarya and Tracer in ranked pretty much exclusively.

Symmetra is a waste of a hero in ranked right now.

I've had a lot of success with her on Hanamura A and Anubis A in ranked, but I'm a lot lower. She really needs a rework.

Agree with most of this, but YMMV on Gibraltar. She's tricky to get much use before the first checkpoint (I usually stick her turrets on the side flank behind the buildings, just so I know when somebody is trying to sneak around that way), but once the payload starts up that hill, I've helped hold so many teams at bay by turreting up that one side doorway that everybody tries to flank through. That, plus the teleporter placed up high to get the team back more quickly, has held back a lot of enemy pushes. If the enemies get past that checkpoint, though, yeah, it's time to switch.

Honestly, my big thing with that is that the distance between Gibraltar 1 and 2 is generally so small that you don't really have an opportunity to swap, band if you do, they've generally pushed through it. You can do some fun stuff with her in the hangar, I will admit, but it comes down to opportunity cost... most of the time, you're just gonna be better off picking somebody else.

Antiwhippy

I think I just want more transparency in the ranking system. Does it actually take into account individual performance? Does it not? I could go on a tear as pharah, but still lose and lose most of my rank, and then do somewhat modestly as mercy (where people say supports gets gimped rank gains) and jump a whole level. Sometimes I lose more rank losing to the underdog than even teams. Sometimes I gain more rank steamrolling underdogs than even teams.

Like I genuinely don't know what determines rank gain.

Apathy

How do you guys see the s76 nerf?

I think they are too much. They are doing it because of the macros you can do on PC rather than fixing an underlying issue

I mean yes.

It's an ult.

Whose whole point is to deny an area.

Do people complain about how you can regularly team wipe with graviton surge to take point? Because i do that, or have been part of wombo combos that secured quintuple kills, way more often.

Save a graviton surge and you can regularly take out point b in quick fashion.

The thing is you can fight in graviton to some degree. If your movement ability is down you can't fight freeze. That's what people dislike.

Azoor

I think I just want more transparency in the ranking system. Does it actually take into account individual performance? Does it not? I could go on a tear as pharah, but still lose and lose most of my rank, and then do somewhat modestly as mercy (where people say supports gets gimped rank gains) and jump a whole level. Sometimes I lose more rank losing to the underdog than even teams. Sometimes I gain more rank steamrolling underdogs than even teams.

Like I genuinely don't know what determines rank gain.

From what I know, it takes into account if your team is winning or losing + your personal performance.

Going to post this here because I think I had a pretty cool idea:

Couldn't Sombra's big thing be a decoy ability? Not straight up stealth, but like an image displacement type of thing? Maybe a duplicate that runs 5 feet to the side of the duplicatee, so you have to choose which one to shoot? It would make sense, as they would be acting as 'shadows'. Imagine turning around, seeing two ulting McCree as road hog. Or the panic seeing two boosted ulting Genji on the point. You have to choose one to save your team. It's a game changer.

Her ultimate could be that three random members of the team get dummies with 50% health that persist until they are killed, even if the character they are the dummy of dies. They don't deal damage, but just make fighting the real enemies that much harder. (Maybe they act like the ai bots?)
She would have to deal either very little damage, or be close range with less mobility to balance her kit out more. But she would still be very effective. Make it a sort of 5v6 situation with the 5 slightly favored situationally

It would also be cool if the projections on her main ability could take 'damage' giving the other team feedback as though they are hitting the real enemy.

Antiwhippy

I feel like it's very inconsistent in that though. I can't get a feel on how individual performance is calculated when it comes to doling out rank loss/gain.

I think they are too much. They are doing it because of the macros you can do on PC rather than fixing an underlying issue

The thing is you can fight in graviton to some degree. If your movement ability is down you can't fight freeze. That's what people dislike.

I mean you're not going to fight much when barrage/riptire/death blossom/ryuuga/etc. just melts the whole team.

Even a fully powered up zarya (not hard to get when the opposite team just starts panic firing when they get sucked in) can do the damage herself.

Im sure this has been discussed before, but whats with the POTG recently? They have been so disappointing. I feel like Ive made better plays sometimes.

Veelk

Banned
i think they're borked. i've had some incredibly hilarious ones.

I've seen "Torb does nothing" PotG's online before, but recently I saw one live in one of my games. He had just died, so he respawned and all he did was run back to the point. His turret got his kills though, so he got PotG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom