• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biltmore

Banned
No idea who Surefour is- but when I watch pros play I never see them bother to even use a single Bastion or Torb. makes me think hes just a pub stomper

He's the highest ranked American player in the world, he took the day off to play solo queue or he'd be the highest in the world, which he was yesterday. He's also a pro on a team called C9, you should check them out. And I like said, I've been watching these guys most of the day and not only have I seen multiple Torb's but I've seen plenty of Bastions.

patchday

Yeah but in pro matches they don't bother even using one Bastion or Torb usually.

I'm watching this guy play right now in Solo queue. Yeah pubs get ripped by Bastion/Torb cause they just dont communicate

ISOM

Man, after getting placed at rank 46 and climbing up to 52. I'm now in the low 50s hell because I keep getting either great teammates who either can hold their own, or shitty teammates who either die too fast or don't know how to not main one character.

Lesath

I keep losing. And my ranks keep dropping. This is not fun.

EDIT: I've gone from 53-->50-->45. On the verge of setting my computer on fire.

Do you suggest strafing to the objective? Shoulder roll? Kappa

Just embrace the fact that against good players you last longer as pilot d.va than than in the mech,

How is pharrah's accuracy stat calculated btw?

Because looking at overbuff I'm at the 18th percentile for accuracy but 79th percentile for direct hits? Which means I'm somewhat ok at getting direct hits but bad at aiming?

Hit is splash and direct is rocket connecting anywhere, there is no headshot. Maybe you don't spam enough or fire enough from above?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Bastion is super situational, and situational in a way that is never encountered in the pro scene, and he basically get destroyed by anyone who actually knows how to strafe.

No idea who Surefour is- but when I watch pros play I never see them bother to even use a single Bastion or Torb. makes me think hes just a pub stomper

[edit] lol watching this guy's stream right now he's so salty.

He just used Bastion and Torb in his stream. Also, Timou (from Envious) used Bastion as well on Volskaya (and got ran over by Surefour). Those characters are usable in very specific situations and map; you don't run them full match like scrubs do. Also, those pubs players don't know how to place torrets and maintain them (animation canceling), and they won't switch or setup torret on the other point when the other team is almost capping the first one.

That is why people hate seeing Bastion/Torb on their team; they require good teamwork, individual skill AND willingness to switch heroes.

Rowena

Neo Member

Same here. Ive kinda stopped worrying about my rank and just hope to win to get points for gold weapons. I'm losing way more than I'm winning but what can I expect when playing only with randoms

I’d like to play other things, but nobody ever wants to plays support. So the beat goes on…

LsVEQE1.png

Antiwhippy

Just embrace the fact that against good players you last longer as pilot d.va than than in the mech,

Hit is splash and direct is rocket connecting anywhere, there is no headshot. Maybe you don't spam enough or fire enough from above?

Hmm maybe. I think I tend to play too conservatively as pharrah in trying to score direct hits for max damage.

Lesath

Same here. Ive kinda stopped worrying about my rank and just hope to win to get points for gold weapons. I'm losing way more than I'm winning but what can I expect when playing only with ransoms

I think what gets to me the most is that I'm determined to get back to where I was, but each time I try to get that rank back I just fall behind. And it's worse because I know each win counts for FAR less than each loss.

Nazo

Solo queuing in pugs make me wanna fucking kill myself.

I've been playing nearly all day and I've only won like one game.

Fuck this stupid shit.

Sorry, had to vent a little. :(

Rowena

Neo Member
I think what gets to me the most is that I'm determined to get back to where I was, but each time I try to get that rank back I just fall behind. And it's worse because I know each win counts for FAR less than each loss.

I know exactly what you mean. I'm too stubborn, and In my mind I keep telling myself "the next team won't be as bad or we won't lose" and sure enough they are and we do. I guess I can see how low I can go till it levels out and I start to win.

Prelude.

They should put competitive behind a stricter wall, like you have to prove that you know how to play at least one character per role. I'm not talking about skill, but the amount of times I found people in competitive that LITERALLY have no idea about good team composition is staggering. For example, you need to play at least 2 hours on attack, defence, tank and support before it unlocks. "We already have two snipers on Anubis attack, I guess I'll pick a third one because why not?"

losses are catastrophic in ranked, its rare that i get significant amounts of xp on wins
It usually takes me two to four wins to make up for a loss depending on whether or not there are leavers etc

i just leave the game as soon as it gets to the victory/defeat screen (this doesnt count as an abandon so it does no harm to anyones xp and doesnt penalize you) so i dont have to look at the level screen because it honestly just makes me mad, win or lose. seeing how little i get for a win tilts me. seeing how much i lose for a loss tilts me. id rather just go next right away
I'll probably look more into it since I wasn't playing a lot of competitive because of the bug, but it seemed like the same "bugged" amount of exp on both victory and defeat when playing a KotH map.

Had a guy on my team leave, to then keep joining in and keep leaving. He had to have been put back in the match like 4 or 5 times, and left every time.

We lost, but it was worth it to watch him slowly get the leaver penalty, felt good, he deserves it.

They should put competitive behind a stricter wall, like you have to prove that you know how to play at least one character per role. I'm not talking about skill, but the amount of times I found people in competitive that LITERALLY have no idea about good team composition is staggering. For example, you need to play at least 2 hours on attack, defence, tank and support before it unlocks.

I'll probably look more into it since I wasn't playing a lot of competitive because of the bug, but it seemed like the same "bugged" amount of exp on both victory and default when playing a KotH map.

I've met people on competitive who have no idea how to aim, flank, user cover, use mid kits AND most importantly, make use of your healers and tanks. Seriously, I was laughing hard at how both teams can barely kill anyone; they just mass-shoot blindly into the other team's direction.

Edit: Surefour getting 103 eliminations LOL. Dat carrying.

Prelude.

Had a guy on my team leave, to then keep joining in and keep leaving. He had to have been put back in the match like 4 or 5 times, and left every time.

We lost, but it was worth it to watch him slowly get the leaver penalty, felt good, he deserves it.
If he did that he probably had connection issues. I had a day when I couldn't stay in a game for shit.

Biltmore

Banned
Yeah but in pro matches they don't bother even using one Bastion or Torb usually.

I'm watching this guy play right now in Solo queue. Yeah pubs get ripped by Bastion/Torb cause they just dont communicate

Not two hours ago he was queued with 4 people, all 6 were in comms and they still got constantly wrecked by a Torb stack. If pro players playing in pubs are getting wrecked you can't tell the average Overwatch player to "git gud" when it comes to them.

Watching these high level players play in solo queue has pretty much invalidated 90% of the Overwatch truisms that people like to spout. I've seen Torbs, I've seen Bastions, I've seen stacks wreak havoc, I've seen classes on maps that are taboo work like a charm.

P.S. He's on Tracer right now and it's just stupid. It's like a different game.

If he did that he probably had connection issues. I had a day when I couldn't stay in a game for shit.
Yeah, but he actually chose a character in the middle of that, and then left a few seconds later.

Although it could be your suggestion, which in that case, I feel bad for the guy ):

Prelude.

I've met people on competitive who have no idea how to aim, flank, user cover, use mid kits AND most importantly, make use of your healers and tanks. Seriously, I was laughing hard at how both teams can barely kill anyone; they just mass-shoot blindly into the other team's direction.
But that's fine to an extent, that's all stuff you learn while playing, but if you can't understand the basics of how to set up a team on a specific map you're doomed before even starting.

But that's fine to an extent, that's all stuff you learn while playing, but if you can't understand the basics of how to set up a team on a specific map you're doomed before even starting.

Right. More people are starting to listen though. The only asshole who refused to switch was a level 90 Symmetra we met when I was queing with finalflame. We kept telling him to switch and he replies with "I choose her because I can". We end up carrying his ass, and I literally watched the other team take a huge dump on his teleporter that he doesn't know where to place (he went symmetra on attack and didn't contribute at all with teleporter and torrets).

Prelude.

Right. More people are starting to listen though. The only asshole who refused to switch was a level 90 Symmetra we met when I was queing with finalflame. We kept telling him to switch and he replies with "I choose her because I can". We end up carrying his ass, and I literally watched the other team take a huge dump on his teleporter that he doesn't know where to place (he went symmetra on attack and didn't contribute at all with teleporter and torrets).
Yeah, they listen more often than not in my experience, but I really, really dislike being that guy that, even politely, tells other people what to do. I wish there was a better way to ensure that people allowed to compete do actually know the characters instead of playing 10 hours of Hanzo and starting competitive. That also frequently leads to infighing so it's just a bad situation overall.

Still 12 levels away from competitive. Strangely enough, I never had that many troubles with playing solo so far. Some small troubles here and there, but nothing outrageous.

Zemm

So class stacking sucks and we all know it. Can we finally put to rest that it's a "git gud" issue? I've been watching some of the best players in the game this weekend, including Surefour and they get just as wrecked by stacking Torb's and other nonsense as anyone else.

It should have been obvious when the tournament teams themselves voted for a hero limit. Last night was the first time in ages I've seen no hero limit and everyone hated it including the players themselves.

Have been getting crushed in competitive mode these past two days. It started off so good, but now I'm lucky to win one in three matches. I see by the last few pages this can be pretty common.

Also fuck quitters. 30 seconds to find a match, one minute for character choosing/pre-match setup, and then someone quits on my team ten seconds in and then the match is forfeited. What a waste of time #FirstWorldProblems! If you can't commit to a full match then just quick play.

Apathy

overwatch players are weird

hard for me to wrap my head around how people can play a game for this long and not bother to even try other characters

I'm at a combined 101 hours of Junkrat. I still find it super fun. I think my next highest is 4 hours

Antiwhippy

It should have been obvious when the tournament teams themselves voted for a hero limit. Last night was the first time in ages I've seen no hero limit and everyone hated it including the players themselves.

I thought it was more due to stacks like double lucio and double winston.

Having went up against a double lucio i can confirm that they are infuriating to play against.

patchday

Having went up against a double lucio i can confirm that they are infuriating to play against.

Exactly, its not for double Bastions lol. Surefour just said he think Torb is tier 2 material himself a few mins ago

* 2 lucio in KOTH tho. Hm, need to try

Prelude.

Anyone else not enjoying it anymore since the update? I could honestly just walk away atm.
The competitive update? What did it change in QP?

Personally, I'd like to see new maps soon since I'm getting kinda bored of them. Some kind of "forced" maps rotation would also help.

matmanx1

Just a thought but I think a simple way to "fix" D.Va would be to switch her armor to shields. Thoughts?

I would rather her do more damage. Right now she has similar mobility to Winston but her "shield" is inferior because it only works for attacks coming from the front. Her damage is already better than Winston's but the damage falloff is terrible and it kills her mobility while she's firing. Make it so her dps is closer to Rein's (not that high, since she has a little bit more range, but in the neighborhood) and I would be satisfied.

48/300 towards a golden weapon and I can't even decide which one I want to buy. I try for about 6-7 competitive wins a night, to get the 300 before the season is over.
I'm level 41 and I've played 245 total games of Overwatch. 300 WINS seems insane to me at this point. Like, that number is completely out of whack for someone who is a casual player. It's a good thing I play for fun and not necessarily cosmetic goodies.

EDIT: I've gone from 53-->50-->45. On the verge of setting my computer on fire.

I'm not sure I understand how competitive mode works or why it's so much easier to loose rank than it is to gain rank. I'm not going to stress about it too much yet though. As long as I continue to improve my own play and have some fun then the actual rank number isn't terribly important.

That being said, it would be nice to understand that metrics behind the system. Has Blizzard explained anything about it yet?

31 sound barriers provided LOL. 15k healing, and 15 objective kills. I think I can do much higher than that assault game in temple of anus. Speaking of the latter, the Bermuda triangle maps (Volskaya cyka, Hanamura and temple of Anus) are very common in ranked; those maps are horrid, and so is assault mode.

Zemm

yeah ofcourse. I mean when even the pros are against class stacking then the "git gud" responses make even less sense.

As for maps, definitely need new maps soon. I don't need lots of maps, just 6-8 really good ones, and I think we only have 3 or 4 of those so far. I hate all the 2CP maps as well (Volskaya, Anubis and Hanamura), would happily never play them again.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
On one hand, I hope Lucio doesn't get nerfed because he's like the only support randos will play
On the other hand, if Lucio gets nerfed then Mercy nerf would follow shortly

and Zenyatta is number 1! long-term plans.

Antiwhippy

yeah ofcourse. I mean when even the pros are against class stacking then the "git gud" responses make even less sense.

As for maps, definitely need new maps soon. I don't need lots of maps, just 6-8 really good ones, and I think we only have 3 or 4 of those so far. I hate all the 2CP maps as well (Volskaya, Anubis and Hanamura), would happily never play them again.

I think those responses are more to actually bad stacks like all bastions and less about the legit op stacks like double Winston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom