• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I just learned the hard way that Reinhardt blocks D.Va's ult.

Like, completely.

Without even taking any damage. Without even losing any shield hit points.

Why....?

Because it's a wall and walls protect you from DVa's ult.

Mei's ice wall does the same thing

Veelk

Banned
i think he loses like 1k barrier energy?

Oh, the person I was playing with said it did nothing.

Still, that's weak, given how fast reinhardt's barrier recharges. It should atleast deplete it totally.

Because it's a wall and walls protect you from DVa's ult.

Mei's ice wall does the same thing

Winston's bubble will block it as well.

Well....can we get a buff here plz? I'm not a high level so I'm mostly playing with lower level people that don't know the game yet, but I just played with higher level people, and found my characters ult has more limitations than a loud announcement and ample countdown time. It doesn't seem right that heroes should be able to completely nueter D.Va's ult that easily. I'm not saying there shouldn't be any counter to it, but this seems excessive.

Jiraiza

I can see why people think Sudden Death is dumb. Just had my last placement match where we beat the opposing team on Numbani to the end with a better time, but ended up losing the sudden death on attack since they went full Torb with a Lucio.

On the other hand, we should've stacked with another hero in response, but it's still pretty lame.

6-4 at 52.

xaosslug

That's what I'm saying though, the fact that people feel that they can kill better with her human form is part of the problem, and kind of defeats her purpose as a tank. In comp play she's used to get rid of situational torb turrets and that's about it. You can get away with a lot of shit in pubs, and I mean a lot, so in general things aren't balanced around pub play.
It's a last resort form with nothing going for it. She has no health, no skills besides being able to get back in the mecha, no mobility and her gun is a terrible non-hitscan weapon that barely does more damage than some fully automatic weapons. The only thing D.Va's human form has going for her is that she's not dead, but If your mecha was killed and you aren't in a position that gets you instantly deleted then it's very, very likely you weren't doing your job to begin with.

But that wouldn't be an issue if her mecha form was actually good so this form's drawbacks were warranted. which is the crux of the issue. Her mecha is too easily downed and you're stuck with this shit afterwards.

idk, y'all would have a point if any other character in the game had a 'second life' so to speak as well, but it's sole unto D.Va. You can bristle at this ability or get with it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oh, the person I was playing with said it did nothing.

Still, that's weak, given how fast reinhardt's barrier recharges. It should atleast deplete it totally.

Well....can we get a buff here plz? I'm not a high level so I'm mostly playing with lower level people that don't know the game yet, but I just played with higher level people, and found my characters ult has more limitations than a loud announcement and ample countdown time. It doesn't seem right that heroes should be able to completely nueter D.Va's ult that easily. I'm not saying there shouldn't be any counter to it, but this seems excessive.
Boost it back behind shields. Though TBH D.Va's ult's strength lies more in its ability to make people scatter than in actually killing them, in my experience.

Shooting it up into the air is good, too.

duckroll

Not excessive at all. Dva's ult is very powerful when used at the right time and place, especially in the a middle of a firefight where people can't react perfectly. Keep in mind that all the counters here (Reinhardt, Winston, Mei) are characters who would be wrecked in a real fight with attackers. Rein and Mei are defensive type characters, and Winston is a flank.

If they ever fix Roadhogs chain so that they are pulled directly in front of you every time, then he will go from the best character in the game to even more the best character in the game.

Canucked

If they ever fix Roadhogs chain so that they are pulled directly in front of you every time, then he will go from the best character in the game to even more the best character in the game.

I don't like him. I find his belly button concerning. I don't care how cute the piggy tattoo is. He needs to see a doctor.

KarmaCow

I guess I shouldn't be surprised but there are some salty, petty people that will ragequit at the end of a match just so that the winning team doesn't get the proper MMR up. It seems to be even more prevalent as I rank up too.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I've been in far too many matches now where people just refuse to change characters. The idea is to adapt to your situation as it dynamically unfolds, yet people just want to be Hanzo or Reaper to get them sick kills CoD-style.

I actually credit this behaviour to how poorly the game tells you that it is best to adapt. When you die there is no feedback on why you got killed besides a flashback. There is no suggestion of character changing so people just tunnel vision and keep playing the same character over and over, dying over and over to the same counter. I keep telling people "hey go this person because they counter X and you'll die less" yet nothing is done and we lose the objective.

I really would love to see Blizzard improve the information given on death to suggest character swapping, and ingrain it into players that it isn't bad to switch, and that you should adapt. At least in competitive that idea comes through more often but I have seen people still refuse to switch because they want to play X character all game yet lose the objective due to a natural counter.

Rokam

Starting to be worse than playing Destiny solo queue. Reaper main.. seriously won't even switch in competitive.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've been in far too many matches now where people just refuse to change characters. The idea is to adapt to your situation as it dynamically unfolds, yet people just want to be Hanzo or Reaper to get them sick kills CoD-style.

I actually credit this behaviour to how poorly the game tells you that it is best to adapt. When you die there is no feedback on why you got killed besides a flashback. There is no suggestion of character changing so people just tunnel vision and keep playing the same character over and over, dying over and over to the same counter. I keep telling people "hey go this person because they counter X and you'll die less" yet nothing is done and we lose the objective.

I really would love to see Blizzard improve the information given on death to suggest character swapping, and ingrain it into players that it isn't bad to switch, and that you should adapt. At least in competitive that idea comes through more often but I have seen people still refuse to switch because they want to play X character all game yet lose the objective due to a natural counter.

It'd be nice if you retained some of your ultimate when switching. Even 50%

patchday

Starting to be worse than playing Destiny solo queue. Reaper main.. seriously won't even switch in competitive.

Destiny added matchmaking for their end game pvp? When I last played it you had to form a premade. Which was kind of a really good thing

Canucked

I feel like if they change reaper then people will just complain about stacking tanks. Nerfing the next best character isn't the solution. I think changing how certain characters react to them would be best.

Like instead of eliminating reaper stacks, make him more susceptible to lucio's sound waves. Make Junkrat's traps cancel wraith form.

Rokam

Destiny added matchmaking for their end game pvp? When I last played it you had to form a premade. Which was kind of a really good thing

Just mean in general not the end game. People not fighting on the control points, running off by themselves, etc.

patchday

solo queued up to 66 from 53

http://i.imgur.com/netBn2J.jpg

maybe i'm getting lucky with decent teammates, but i think the biggest aspect of succeeding is being willing to switch to whatever kind of hero the team needs

lol was wondering was all of gaf below 50. Good to see someone with a good rank. And I cant recall ever seeing you whine bout bad teammates so this seems well deserved.

What level are you though? 122?

[edit] but why is time played only 11 hrs. doesnt seem to add up for me

Are you entirely judged as a team in ranked? I can be top of my team, several gold medals, yet lose a rank because the team didn't pull through.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Just had a really long game on Temple of Anubis where one guy d/ced and rejoined early on. It took an hour long and he clutched it out for our team to win, but the dude lost rank while the rest of us gained points. Pretty crappy... So right now there's zero incentive to rejoin a match you drop from. :|

Random question but are you Ex Machina from Tagmonkey?

Yup! Thought I recognized your handle. Long time no see. :D

Fugu

I feel like any ecologist could've told you that nerfing McCree would flood the game with Reapers, but here we are.

duckroll

Are you entirely judged as a team in ranked? I can be top of my team, several gold medals, yet lose a rank because the team didn't pull through.

It's a team game. If your team lost the other team played better, and no matter how good you are individually you weren't good enough to beat the other team.

Vitor711

OK, the leaver penalty for the winning team is some of the most ill-conceived nonsense I've ever seen.

Had a guy's PC crash on the attacking side, he's back within a minute or two but people instantly leave once he's gone initially. We win but get 1/10th of what we would. Why? Like, what abuse are they trying to stop here?

DOTA doesn't do this, LOL doesn't do this. Beyond asinine.

Fugu

It's a team game. If your team lost the other team played better, and no matter how good you are individually you weren't good enough to beat the other team.
Right, but that logic is a little flawed considering elo systems explicitly rank an individual's ability, so players might expect that such a system would at least attempt to consider who is most responsible for the loss since, again, the premise of a ranking system is that some players are more capable of influencing an outcome than others.

It is my feeling that the game does, in fact, attempt to compensate based on your individual contribution but that it does a very bad job at it, especially if you're playing as support most of the time since there aren't too many quantifiable metrics that you'll be ahead in.

Rixxan

lol was wondering was all of gaf below 50. Good to see someone with a good rank. And I cant recall ever seeing you whine bout bad teammates so this seems well deserved.

What level are you though? 122?

[edit] but why is time played only 11 hrs. doesnt seem to add up for me

yes, level 122

the hours was for competitive mode only, i have over 100 for quickplay

Poetaster

Banned
Lost 6 ranks today, first day I've regressed. Holy fuck is the player pool bad on a holiday. I usually don't lose that much XP because I'm pretty good with Lucio but these idiots are avoiding the point like it's got the plague. And winning after playing something like 4 rounds of five on six and barely getting any progress in return is such bullshit.

Edit: Just got another win. But like every other win today, it had opponents leaving at the very end just to fuck us over. What a well thought out system. ._.

patchday

yes, level 122

the hours was for competitive mode only, i have over 100 for quickplay

one more question what level were you when you started ranked? Level 100 at least?

huh, maybe I'll hold off more on ranked til I get higher. I'm only L32 right now

(Havent started ranked yet)

Outside of qualifying individual play means nothing if your team loses. You lose the same rank points as everyone else. It sucks and it needs to be addressed for S2. If you lose you should lose some points, sure, ok, fine, but if you have 4-5 golds you should get some kind of buffer. Not only would it make things less salty when teams lose, but it would encourage people to play better until the end. As it stands now if you are down a couple matches and are getting rolled people quit and I can't say I blame them. Quicker to lay down and get the next game going than bother putting up a legit challenge.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Just had a really long game on Temple of Anubis where one guy d/ced and rejoined early on. It took an hour long and he clutched it out for our team to win, but the dude lost rank while the rest of us gained points. Pretty crappy... So right now there's zero incentive to rejoin a match you drop from. :|

Yup! Thought I recognized your handle. Long time no see. :D

Ha, that's awesome.

Your theme was the best.

styl3s

Lol so many bad reaper players
There are so many bad "insertanycharacterhere" players that doesn't bother me as much as people just not listening or moving into objectives as a team etc.

not everyone can be sick mlg pro.

eek5

What the fuck.. just held a team to 0m payload moved on Gibraltar defense :|

solo queued up to 66 from 53

http://i.imgur.com/netBn2J.jpg

maybe i'm getting lucky with decent teammates, but i think the biggest aspect of succeeding is being willing to switch to whatever kind of hero the team needs
Wrong. The key is you being a goddamn beast. Don't give people false hope lmao

eek5

he's probably a beast + respects his teammates

I just think it's disingenuous to attribute his high rank to him not blaming teammates. Of course that's a good attitude to adopt because you'll always work on improving the small things you can be doing etc. instead of just being toxic and blaming everyone but yourself. At the end of the day Rixan is skilled and that's really the bottom line lol

D.Va

Neo Member
;_;

You don't know suffering until you've placed 57 and then proceed to drop to 49, losing most rounds. And the rounds I did win I would gain literally a tenth of the exp bar. And then when I lose I'd lose an entire bars worth. What determines that, btw?

eek5

You don't know suffering until you've placed 57 and then proceed to drop to 49, losing most rounds. And the rounds I did win I would gain literally a tenth of the exp bar. And then when I lose I'd lose an entire bars worth. What determines that, btw?

You usually only get a tenth when there is a leaver on the other team, otherwise you'll get some xp for gaining but it depends partially on your individual performance, skill rating gap between the teams, it seems like your rating compared to your teammates, and a host of other hidden factors.

Also you might just be falling back down to your actual skill rating which is a huge problem if placements can accidentally place you too high because instead of getting better you end up just getting shit on for huge losing streaks until you reach the area you're supposed to be.

You usually only get a tenth when there is a leaver on the other team, otherwise you'll get some xp for gaining but it depends partially on your individual performance, skill rating gap between the teams, it seems like your rating compared to your teammates, and a host of other hidden factors.

Also you might just be falling back down to your actual skill rating which is a huge problem if placements can accidentally place you too high because instead of getting better you end up just getting shit on for huge losing streaks until you reach the area you're supposed to be.

That can definitely happen I think. A few of my placement matches were free wins for me because of leavers. I haven't played that much competitive, but it feels like most of the matches aren't very balanced.

Figured as much.

Outside of qualifying individual play means nothing if your team loses. You lose the same rank points as everyone else. It sucks and it needs to be addressed for S2. If you lose you should lose some points, sure, ok, fine, but if you have 4-5 golds you should get some kind of buffer. Not only would it make things less salty when teams lose, but it would encourage people to play better until the end. As it stands now if you are down a couple matches and are getting rolled people quit and I can't say I blame them. Quicker to lay down and get the next game going than bother putting up a legit challenge.

Yes. Sometimes it's baffling to see all defensive ranged characters when we need to get on the point. I try to play support when I can and healing people that think it's TDM is plain ineffectual. I'm not a great player or anything, but when I'm playing Overwatch, I'm playing Overwatch.

I went from 57 to 47. I've since retired the game. It's not enjoyable losing every 2/3 games I play. The final straw was getting disconnected, coming back and helping my team win but then losing a rank and taking a loss. In what world does this make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom