• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayumi

I dropped 58->50 followed by a climb to 58 again. this matchmaking system is weird.

It can be done. I dropped 10 levels once and managed to climb 15 levels playing solo mostly.

My placement matches put me at 46 (as Mercy - 6 wins, 4 losses), and I've just dropped like a dead fly. The problem is I don't know how to stop playing, and now I've reached the 20s. Wtf happened. When we win, people always ragequit and we get almost NO experience. The whole thing just feels depressingly unrewarding. I also almost always get stuck as Mercy, and I'm kinda tired of it.

The rankings in 40s were much harder to "drop" from than it is now, it just keeps getting worse the further down you go. lol

PatjuhR

I'm tired of being the guy who will play support cuz everyone else won't in solo. Will play whoever I'm good at. If they have trouble, learn to lose.

I tend to do this aswell now. Early days I would be the support.

But I'm not a very good support. I'm better on offense, so most of the time we are better of with no healers than 1/2 of a healer. Also blaming people not staying near me, as I'm a Lucio healer.

If it wasn't for his ability to push people out of bounds I wouldn't play much healer.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
My placement matches put me at 46 (as Mercy - 6 wins, 4 losses), and I've just dropped like a dead fly. The problem is I don't know how to stop playing, and now I've reached the 20s. Wtf happened. When we win, people always ragequit and we get almost NO experience. The whole thing just feels depressingly unrewarding. I also almost always get stuck as Mercy, and I'm kinda tired of it.

The rankings in 40s were much harder to "drop" from than it is now, it just keeps getting worse the further down you go. lol

Leaver causing minimal rank gain was fixed when I last expereinced it, but yeah, just treat season 1 as a test run. At least they reset ranks.

LiK

I tend to do this aswell now. Early days I would be the support.

But I'm not a very good support. I'm better on offense, so most of the time we are better of with no healers than 1/2 of a healer. Also blaming people not staying near me, as I'm a Lucio healer.

If it wasn't for his ability to push people out of bounds I wouldn't play much healer.

I'll brag that I'm a good Lucio but not even all my healing and shields can save a shit team. I was in Lijiang last night twice. First match I was with a good team and barely died. Second match with a shit team who couldn't rush quickly enough and they did a horrible job taking out guys who were targeting me. Such a difference between two random groups.

abundant

I'll brag that I'm a good Lucio but not even all my healing and shields can save a shit team. I was in Lijiang last night twice. First match I was with a good team and barely died. Second match with a shit team who couldn't rush quickly enough and they did a horrible job taking out guys who were targeting me. Such a difference between two random groups.

And this is why I'm never playing Comp with randoms or bad players on my FL. The only class I'm consistently good with are supports (for reasons I've gone over before in this thread), so I'm at the mercy of my teammates every time. If we don't have any DPS, there's nothing I can do about it. It's the only reason I dropped from 55 to 45.

People who are picking these heroes on attack, fuck you:

Bastion
Hanzo
Zenyatta
Symetra
Mei (depends on the map)

Hanzo can be really good on attack if he stays pushing with the team. The wallhack on a relatively short cooldown can be make or break for someone that knows where to use it and he's one of the best for poking turrets. His ult on a point lets your team waltz in, but they still have to do the rest from there.

Bastion on top of a payload with 2x Reinhardt or 2x Winston is a valid gimmick that works here and there.

Also, this:

Zenyatta on Attack can make for some awesome pushes. And even moreso once the buff hits live.

I have yet to see a good attack Symmetra, though I understand the theory of one.

This game is really not fun without a group. In fact it straight up sucks without a group.

I've never played with a group and likely never will. :/ I still enjoy it doe.

I've only played for about 20 hours but it's all been solo and I'm definitely having fun. I will say that the odd time someone else is on mic we are much more successful.

Anyone looking for players on PS4?

You're on PS4, right? You should play with our group. We went on a win streak for like 6 games tonight.

Of course, I am legally obligated to tell you that those results are not typical.

How can I get in on this? My ID is the same as my GAF name, cases included. Is there an easy way to add PSN IDs without having to type them all out with the controller on the console?

LiK

And this is why I'm never playing Comp with randoms or bad players on my FL. The only class I'm consistently good with are supports (for reasons I've gone over before in this thread), so I'm at the mercy of my teammates every time. If we don't have any DPS, there's nothing I can do about it. It's the only reason I dropped from 55 to 45.

I see I have you in my list but we never played together. Feel free to invite me. I promise I'm not terrible!

PatjuhR

Bastions could work with a Mercy and Reinhardt on Payload attack.

Just switch out if the enemy team is smart enough to stop it.

Lokbob

How do you counter 2 Zenyatta, 2 Mei, Reinhardt and Symmetra on defense in Hanamura.
The main entrance is walled of and the discord is destroying everything tanky coming through the window.

PatjuhR

How do you counter 2 Zenyatta, 2 Mei, Reinhardt and Symmetra on defense in Hanamura.
The main entrance is walled of and the discord is destroying everything tanky coming through the window.

D.Va first. Everybody else behind her. Needs some good coordination. Maybe two dva

Kouichi

I usually avoid playing support since I frequently switch heroes wherever I need to counter something. But if nobody picks a healer, then I always go do it no matter how much I don't want to. So many time I've had to drop out of my hero when someone picks Zenyatta as the lone support. Thankfully, I've usually done well as support in all my solo queue experience. But I've also played more support as I got into the 60s.

I'm curious to see if Ana will be able to consistently heal to be good enough as an alternative to Mercy/Lucio depending on the map and player skill. I'm certainly going to practice her a ton when she releases.

patchday

I don't play OW ranked but from what I gather watching vids- Mercy might be the most difficult support to play in rank due to being heavily dependent on her team. Think bout it- if your team is subpar only so much she can do. I had same problem in League of Legends (I was a support main). Finally I switched to a carry-support that was more self-sufficient and that helped me gain LP

patchday

I usually avoid playing support since I frequently switch heroes wherever I need to counter something. But if nobody picks a healer, then I always go do it no matter how much I don't want to. So many time I've had to drop out of my hero when someone picks Zenyatta as the lone support. Thankfully, I've usually done well as support in all my solo queue experience. But I've also played more support as I got into the 60s.

I'm curious to see if Ana will be able to consistently heal to be good enough as an alternative to Mercy/Lucio depending on the map and player skill. I'm certainly going to practice her a ton when she releases.

Additionally Zenyatta will become more viable post patch so that's another option

Double Zarya?

Her bubble obviously stops the freezing power of Mei and also removes the Orb of Discord debuff.

Edit: and you could walk into Symmetra turrets for free energy.

LiK

I have to say that when I was playing ranked with randoms last night, a good Zarya makes all the difference. I wanted to hug that player for carrying the team to victory. I love good Zarya players.

Palmer_v1

So tired of people picking torrbjorn, attack or defense.

Just feels like a cascading effect. If your team is doing well, he'll be able to perform well, but if your team is doing that well, he could have picked any number of characters that would be more useful. On the other hand, if your team is doing shitty, chances are the torrbjorn is also getting wrecked, making him a much worse pick than most characters.

abundant

I see I have you in my list but we never played together. Feel free to invite me. I promise I'm not terrible!

Well do next time I'm on and the people I usually group up with aren't.

I don't play OW ranked but from what I gather watching vids- Mercy might be the most difficult support to play in rank due to being heavily dependent on her team. Think bout it- if your team is subpar only so much she can do. I had same problem in League of Legends (I was a support main). Finally I switched to a carry-support that was more self-sufficient and that helped me gain LP

Same thing with Lucio, more or less. Yes, he has higher mobility and does more damage than Mercy, but there's only so much you can do if the rest of your team aren't pulling their weight. Even dancing around the payload only gets you so far when you have most of/the entire team focused on you.

Lokbob

Double Zarya?

Her bubble obviously stops the freezing power of Mei and also removes the Orb of Discord debuff.

Edit: and you could walk into Symmetra turrets for free energy.

With Zarya you are stuck outside not getting through the icewalls.

Its pretty though to counter the setup without coordination.

Azoor

She is a gtreat secondary healer, playing her as a main healer could prove difficult but doable.

Antiwhippy

Pharmercy + double reaper action + bastion camped at the front.

In your scenario, you said that the Mei's were using Ice Walls to block the smaller upper opening to force players through the main chokepoint.

Edit: Nevermind, I misunderstood. You were saying the opposite.

In that case, grab a Bastion to cut down the ice walls, or get your own Mei and have her lift everyone to the window if possible?

2 Zarya, 2 D.Va. Force them to come D.Va who will just fly through shielded by Zarya + her own defense matrix on the point and the Zaryas will roll in after.

In your scenario, you said that the Mei's were using Ice Walls to block the smaller upper opening to force players through the main chokepoint.

Edit: Nevermind, I misunderstood. You were saying the opposite.

In that case, grab a Bastion to cut down the ice walls, or get your own Mei and have her lift everyone to the window if possible?

Bastion was my first thought. The Bastion should have all day to find a decent spot since the walls will be going up. Mow down the wall twice and they're on cooldown.

With some luck, he can start chipping away at the Reinhardt's shields, too. The rest of your team then pushes in. Winston nullifies Symmetra. A D.Va or two for the surge.

Antiwhippy

What people need to know is that mei's ice wall is basically 5 pillars with 500hp each.

Which is why i find it amusing that blocking dva's ult basically gives me 2500 damage blocked.

Come to think of it the rise of zen could be a boon for mei because what i do already anyway is to ice wall enemy Zens dpsing behind his tank so that he can do diddly squat as we wail on their tank.

What people need to know is that mei's ice wall is basically 5 pillars with 500hp each.

Which is why i find it amusing that blocking dva's ult basically gives me 2500 damage blocked.

Come to think of it the rise of zen could be a boon for mei because what i do already anyway is to ice wall enemy Zens dpsing behind his tank so that he can do diddly squat as we wail on their tank.

People don't understand. It's hard enough to get people to focus fire Reinhart's shield (I don't think some people realize it has HP), let alone an Ice Wall that has even less audio cues.

If a full team actually focus fired an ice wall, it would drop crazy fast.

matmanx1

Someone stated in this thread yesterday that they had unbound Lucio's primary fire from their left mouse button and just put his right click knock-back as the primary since they felt his normal shots were useless.

While Lucio is not a dps character by any means, smart placement of his orbs can divert and displace enemy team members and especially those who are low HP characters. Most players are fairly aware of their HP loss and landing even two or three of Lucio's orbs on a 200 health enemy will usually cause them to reposition themselves if not retreat momentarily. Do enough of this over the course of a match and you can cause some not insignificant damage and make a positive difference for your team while still maximizing the healing. And remember, doing damage builds ult meter that much faster.

I had a competitive match on King's Row last night as Lucio with 30 eliminations, 23 objective kills (Gold medal) and 6,014 damage while still healing for 12,829 in a match that lasted about 15 minutes. Our side won 3-0, stopping the other team from even taking the first point.

As someone who's spent double digit hours playing Lucio I think it's a mistake to not be spamming that primary fire and learning how to hit moving players as often as possible. It's worth it to maximize every ability that your character has.

I think it goes both ways.

It helps Mei build ult, but it helps anyone damaging build ult as well.

well that's no fun for me then if they can build their ult off of it.

Someone stated in this thread yesterday that they had unbound Lucio's primary fire from their left mouse button and just put his right click knock-back as the primary since they felt his normal shots were useless.

While Lucio is not a dps character by any means, smart placement of his orbs can divert and displace enemy team members and especially those who are low HP characters. Most players are fairly aware of their HP loss and landing even two or three of Lucio's orbs on a 200 health enemy will usually cause them to reposition themselves if not retreat momentarily. Do enough of this over the course of a match and you can cause some not insignificant damage and make a positive difference for your team while still maximizing the healing. And remember, doing damage builds ult meter that much faster.

I had a competitive match on King's Row last night as Lucio with 30 eliminations, 23 objective kills (Gold medal) and 6,014 damage while still healing for 12,829 in a match that lasted about 15 minutes. Our side won 3-0, stopping the other team from even taking the first point.

As someone who's spent double digit hours playing Lucio I think it's a mistake to not be spamming that primary fire and learning how to hit moving players as often as possible. It's worth it to maximize every ability that your character has.
yeah i chip at their HP or to finish off them when team has to reload or something. and it's good when there's a sniper because you forces her to hide when her HP is low.

every game though. i'm always shooting at the rein shield with lucio when no one else wants to.

Same.

I'll be playing as soldier, and I notice I'm the only one shooting at Rein's shield. It's like no wonder they keep moving the payload forward. The entire team is relying on flankers, hoping the Reinhart is stupid enough to turn around.

LiK

Yea, always shoot his shields. It pressures the player a lot more than they think. I will always shoot the shields.

Reaper is so disgustingly good though.

The more I play him the more I think "Man reaper is so good it's stupid".

He's the only attack hero I am any good with, which makes me worry because he is really strong and could possible get nerfed.

As for the person talking about the 2 mei's, 2 zen, reinhart, and symetra combo...

Pharah and D'va would be good choices. Symetra and Mei can't really do much other than run and hide. If the Zenyattas come out to heal the tanks they can be taken down fast (less so after buff).

Have lucio or mercy for healing. Lucio can knock the mei's back and time his shields to deal with their ults. Mercy can of course just rez everyone after the fact, plus maybe fly over the walls to keep up with pharah or d.va.

So maybe 2 d.va, 2 pharah, and either one support and something good for damage and mobility like reaper or genji, or double support.

Afro

I was the one who posted that. Touché! Very informative post full of great info. I'll try re-mapping his primary attack to LMB and see if I can improve w/ it. Thanks! Great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom