• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
I mean, yeah, it sucks that they ignored it, but you did too, so, why are you complaining about your teammates when you are doing exactly what you are complaining about?

Don't assume. I didn't ignore it, actually, I was just Genji and he isn't that great against turrets because they don't do the massive damage of Bastion to make them kill themselves with reflect, and the Torbjorn killed me when I tried to concentrate fire on it. I say again, the worst thing about Torb, other than his shitty Ult, is that his turrets targetting is instant and it just frikken shouldn't be.

So I did try, but my hero wasn't as well suited to it as can be, but even when I got close, Torbs teammates also piled on me more than a few times. I guess you should argue that I should have switched, but then I'd have lost my Ult and I was waiting for a good chance to use it. I was willing to do what damage I could to it, but I did it with the expectations someone would come finish it off, and no one did.

ramyeon

Don't assume. I didn't ignore it, actually, I was just Genji and he isn't that great against turrets because they don't do the massive damage of Bastion to make them kill themselves with reflect, and the Torbjorn killed me when I tried to concentrate fire on it. I say again, the worst thing about Torb, other than his shitty Ult, is that his turrets targetting is instant and it just frikken shouldn't be.

So I did try, but my hero wasn't as well suited to it as can be, but even when I got close, Torbs teammates also piled on me more than a few times. I guess you should argue that I should have switched, but then I'd have lost my Ult and I was waiting for a good chance to use it.
Not switching because you have your Ult is a terrible excuse. If the turret was stopping you from winning and you couldn't do anything with your current pick, you should have switched to a suitable counter.

I am completely obsessed with hunting healers in this game, to the point of wasting time and/or ults to do it. I feel like I'm overdoing it but I'm always frustrated to see my teammates seemingly not care about them that I make it my personal obsession.
(I also play as healer very frequently and am often left kind of alone which completely befuddles me)

man that's the opposite of my experience

usually when I play Mercy it's me getting ganked by the half the enemy team and my team just pretending they're not there.

I don't play Mercy very often because I'm fed up with my team letting me die.

Zemm

The game is just dumb now with all this damage flying around. You now have two supports who can do either crazy damage or respectable damage, one that nullifies healing against all the damage and the other which helps other does even more damage. This isn't the game I enjoyed playing at all.

Nazo

I'm gonna quote myself from a few pages ago. No one probably cares about my stupid half-baked theories but here ya go...

I'm not sure if any one has pointed it out yet but at the very end of the new developer update video there is something really odd. At the very end of the video there are some old TV style test color bars and some static as well as a loud boop sound. I don't remember if the other videos had it but I have a strong feeling that they didn't. Could this be some kind of hidden message maybe? Some kind of ARG to find of out more about the next new hero or something? I wouldn't know where to start with this kind of thing so I hope someone here can spearhead the investigation. What do you guys think?

So I did try, but my hero wasn't as well suited to it as can be, but even when I got close, Torbs teammates also piled on me more than a few times. I guess you should argue that I should have switched, but then I'd have lost my Ult and I was waiting for a good chance to use it. I was willing to do what damage I could to it, but I did it with the expectations someone would come finish it off, and no one did.
Say what now? I didnt assume anything. Your original post said "I ignored it". So I still stand with what I said. Also, if that turret is keeping you from performing well, you should switch heroes even though you have your ult. Unless you are Zarya, Lucio, or Mercy, having an ult should never stop you from switching heroes.

The game is just dumb now with all this damage flying around. You now have two supports who can do either crazy damage or respectable damage, one that nullifies healing against all the damage and the other which helps other does even more damage. This isn't the game I enjoyed playing at all.
How long does Ana's biotic grenade even nullify healing? I don't see any stats anywhere.

Veelk

Banned
Say what now? I didnt assume anything. Your original post said "I ignored it". So I still stand with what I said. Also, if that turret is keeping you from performing well, you should switch heroes even though you have your ult. Unless you are Zarya, Lucio, or Mercy, having an ult should never stop you from switching heroes.

Fair enough, I misspoke. What I meant was that I didn't prioritize it, which I thought was obvious when I went on to say that I did engage with it as Genji when I needed to, but going after the other enemies that were wrecking the team seemed like better targets for Genji, and we had a D.va on the team, so I assumed they'd go after the turret eventually. It wasn't toward the tail end of the match when I just realized "No one is doing anything about the turret"

lmaoooooo McCree is so godlike now
KuGsj.gif

In my experience, turrets don't last long against almost any two heroes working together.

Getting the two seconds of teamwork it takes, that's the tricky part.

Now that some you have a decent amount of time with both console and PC versions of Overwatch, which version do you like better and how are they different fun wise?

I currently have the PC version and I'm considering double-dipping with the PS4.

Now that some you have a decent amount of time with both console and PC versions of Overwatch, which version do you like better and how are they different fun wise?

I currently have the PC version and I'm considering double-dipping with the PS4.
It's fine, just slower, community seems a bit less toxic (or maybe it's just that way because people can only spam Hello!). Aiming is fine too, just different.

I would only double dip if you have friends to play with. I think they're both fun in different ways - if I'm sleepy I'm more likely to play the PS4 version because accuracy is less important and generally other people are less accurate too.

How an entire team was unable to take out a single Torb and his turret that kept killing us all is beyond me. I ignored it because I kept thinking "Someone will surely take care of it". But no, no one did.

I understand your frustration. Honestly? I've taken to attacking it when someone else is in it's range and taking the shots.

Prelude.

Just had an incredibly clutch match on Dorado attack, reaching overtime for every single checkpoint, until we got to the last one and the game pretty much said "fuck off" and made us lose even though me and another player were right beside the payload. I was using Ana and she's incredible in those situations, she can really turn the tide.

That's why I said for anyone who doesn't have the patch. AKA consoles.
Oh, that's what you meant. Well, pretty cool that they made one just for consoles.

Can't play right now. Every game I join has 15 people playing Ana and refusing to switch.
Play Ana

On the topic of Zen, I think they have taken him too far. I'm not sure I agree with the decision to move him off the PTR already. I guess we'll see, but he's probably going to get nerfed soon.

matmanx1

Play Ana

On the topic of Zen, I think they have taken him too far. I'm not sure I agree with the decision to move him off the PTR already. I guess we'll see, but he's probably going to get nerfed soon.

His ult might build too quickly. I felt like it was coming up super fast between tossing out dmg and healing. I do like the fact that he is survivable now and I don't think they need to nerf or change that aspect of his character. He's fun and viable so that is good.

I think to fix Zen, they could get rid of the orb speed buff and bring him down to 175 health. They could also maybe revert the ult heal buff, but keep the speed buff.

His ult might build too quickly. I felt like it was coming up super fast between tossing out dmg and healing. I do like the fact that he is survivable now and I don't think they need to nerf or change that aspect of his character. He's fun and viable so that is good.
I think I'm okay with his ult, but I feel he's a little too survivable for a character that puts out such high damage (200 health - up to 300!!! with armour + Sym shield). I agree that they shouldn't nerf him back to where he's not viable, but I think they over corrected with this patch. Jeff Kaplan said as much in the Ana stream that they're really still testing him out, and that this current survivability might not be the answer.

Zemm

Zen and McCree will get nerfed, D'Vas defence matrix might or might not. Ana's ult will get nerfed at some point but maybe not for a while. Which makes the PTR a huge waste of fucking time. Like seriously, what are they even doing?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Zen and McCree will get nerfed, D'Vas defence matrix might or might not. Ana's ult will get nerfed at some point but maybe not for a while. Which makes the PTR a huge waste of fucking time. Like seriously, what are they even doing?

Because PTR is kind of a terrible place to test things out compared to the live game.

Yeah, Zen is really good. There's no reason not to pick him. He has high damage, decent survivability now, and can heal. Before he was a kind of a glass cannon character, now he can pretty much do anything. The only drawback he has is his mobility is somewhat lacking. He’s easily the best hybrid character in the game now.

Will the competitive points given at the end take your highest level? Or current level? I'm not gonna get back or over 65. So I don't really care about free falling if that's the case.

I'm gonna stop getting mad and only playing my mains. I'll still be a team player, but I'm gonna play some lesser used characters and just try to have fun.

Antiwhippy

Like really, as much as i like theory crafting, I'm also a fan of letting things play out. Things that seem one way in isolation could be entirely different after live playing and people come up with different strategies. So let's tone down the panic? Things change. It'll change again, and again, and again. So adapt i guess.

Zemm

Because PTR is kind of a terrible place to test things out compared to the live game.

Not in comp mode it isn't, it's exactly like on live servers. Everyone told them these buffs were too much, and surprisingly, even now people are saying these buffs are too much. Probably because these buffs are too much. One week on the PTR is a joke. Atleast they fixed Roadhogs hooks finally.

Not in comp mode it isn't, it's exactly like on live servers. Everyone told them these buffs were too much, and surprisingly, even now people are saying these buffs are too much. Probably because these buffs are too much. One week on the PTR is a joke. Atleast they fixed Roadhogs hooks finally.
Having like 1% of the game's playerbase for matchmaking avaiable at most doesn't make it the same as live servers.

Sifl

The truth about Zen is that he never really needed a buff for casual playing. They buffed him because he wasn't being used in tournaments, because against full teams they could easily plan and shut him down because of his low healthpool. He's always been ridiculous against randoms, it's just now people are constantly playing against him and noticing it.

That being said, as someone who loved playing Zen, I can't say I'm too upset about the changes. You shall all feel his wrath.

Other than the suggestions already listed, Roadhog's hook can also work against her on console since it's easier to hook on console.

Question for the strategists and group players out there. I normally play Reinhardt and I'd say I'm pretty good with him while tanking at the right times for my team. When we are on the cart map and moving down the road with the cart, I am keeping my shield up most of the time to block 6 other people shooting at my team, especially at chokepoints. I have a friend who gets angry with me if a tracer, reaper, or genji manages to go past my frontline and starts shooting at them.

He suggests I take my shield down and start using my hammer. I've tried explaining to him that if I do that, the 5 other people shooting at us will immediately melt my health and possibly a couple of others on the team. Is it wrong of me to put my trust in 5 other people that they can take care of one tracer, one reaper, or one genji while I shield their front-end? Should I risk my teammates lives on the fact that my hammer could work against said genji, reaper or tracer?

I'd like to think that I'm doing the right thing because I've seen other Reinhardts become distracted by one enemy and thus leave their team to die. Any advice is welcome.

You are in the right here, it is the rest of the team's job to cover the flanks. Ideally, you shouldn't even have to turn to look (provided you are stopping fire from the front).

Been getting completely steamrolled all day. Constant D.va and McCree stacks in QP and apparently people can't handle it. It's difficult to use Ana to her fullest when either your team is dead or you have 2 McCrees and a Pharah zoning in on you. Probably doesn't help that I keep Nano Boosting people and they have no idea what to do. I Nano Boosted a Reinhardt today and he stood there with his shield up the entire duration.

Can we just go forward a week when people have wised up to the new stuff and changes?

Antiwhippy

The playerpool is on PTR is nowhere near sufficient to fully test things out.

People will always call various buffs too much when they initially launch. For every competitive game ever. They could be right, they could be wrong, but we won't know until the new meta develops. People just hate change.

2 D.VAs, Bastion, and Torbjorn on defense made it impossible to even push on the 2nd point of Anubis.

The D.VAs would just go back to back on defense matrix while the other just shot in the meantime so pushing front can't do much, while Torb's turrets and Bastion would pick anyone off trying to flank from the sides.

Antiwhippy

2 D.VAs, Bastion, and Torbjorn on defense made it impossible to even push on the 2nd point of Anubis.

The D.VAs would just go back to back on defense matrix while the other just shot in the meantime so pushing front can't do much, while Torb's turrets and Bastion would pick anyone off trying to flank from the sides.

I mean they could do that with double reins. Need better flankers.

Game balance isn't a democracy. They probably go ahead with changes because someone senior liked the sound of it at a meeting and he doesn't care what the PTS feedback is unless it becomes a dank maymay in his twotter feeds or whatever.

ramyeon

Game balance isn't a democracy. They probably go ahead with changes because someone senior liked the sound of it at a meeting and he doesn't care what the PTS feedback is unless it becomes a dank maymay in his twotter feeds or whatever.
Not sure where you're getting that idea from. This has hardly been the case in the past with this game, if anything they seem to take what the player base has to say into account too much.

At this point I feel like Blizzard personally has it out for me and has me matchmake in Competitive mode with people who don't know how to play the game.

Won every casual game I played, though, so that was nice!

Um, no? Whenever they update, they release a pretty in-depth video on their YouTube channel of the big changes and why they chose to make them.

Yeef

My understanding is that the PTR is for testing stability, not balance. They do the balance testing internally, I think. Then when they think it's ready they ship it to the PTR to test for bugs and other technical issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom