• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veelk

Banned
Where do I go to beg Blizzard to get some kind of mode where there is a hero limit for casuals? I tried going on the blizzard forums, but apparently they don't allow dirty console peasants on their pristine premises. I played Mobawatch all week, and now that's gone, so I have to go back to QP. I get put into a match with 3 torbs and I just want to kill myself.

I really can't understand how Blizzard can think that the disappointment of not being able to choose your hero for one single game is anything comparable to having to face stacking of Torbs.

They took it out of Competitive because it's not fun to play with, not fun to play against, and it's not fun to watch. And nothing about those things changes when you go casual in QP. I do not want to play competitive. Everything I heard about it puts me off it. Having to choose between complete bullshit mechanics and a gaming environment you don't want to be part of is bullshit.

matmanx1

While I like playing as D.Va and am glad for the buffs on one hand... on the other my girl Symmetra is kinda fucked with all the new D.Va players going on teleporter hunts. Have played her twice since the patch and only managed to get 1 teammate teleported in between the two matches before they were destroyed. Sym is sad.

Yeah I called this. And ironically enough on a match on Numbani a little bit earlier I hunted down the Symmetra teleport and killed it with D.Va which led to us capping the point. Symmetra is going to need some adjusting.

Now that some you have a decent amount of time with both console and PC versions of Overwatch, which version do you like better and how are they different fun wise?

I currently have the PC version and I'm considering double-dipping with the PS4.

PC controls better and gets patches faster. It's the lead platform and will always be my primary way to play Overwatch. I bought the PS4 version to play with friends and have had a blast playing with them but the control scheme is very much inferior. For a game like this, nothing beats the kb +m .

That said, it's essentially the same game on the consoles so no reason not to pick it up if you have friends to play with.

Ok, I can say for sure that I'm not a fan of Zen's new health lol

It's like you guys never played him the old way. With 150hp and no escape options he was pretty much a free kill for most anyone. Yeah he did pretty much the same damage but with 50 less hp it was pretty tough to stay alive against a competent team. If something needs to change about Zen at this point it would be the dmg he does or his ult, not his health pool.

Sifl

It's like you guys never played him the old way. With 150hp and no escape options he was pretty much a free kill for most anyone. Yeah he did pretty much the same damage but with 50 less hp it was pretty tough to stay alive against a competent team. If something needs to change about Zen at this point it would be the dmg he does or his ult, not his health pool.

Make his ult speed his base speed, lower his hp to 150 and buff his damage back up. Permanent "Gotta Go Fast" Zen.

Roadhog's hooks should have stayed glitched because they are bullshit
How are they bullshit? As a Roadhog main, I can say that they ain't bullshit. It's hard as shit to land those things. There is a reason you can get a card for good hook accuracy. Plus, most characters can survive it and escape from it. It's more bullshit that they were glitched and that the consistency of it was based on RNG and you would get screwed over by someone getting hooked behind you.

Also, he's gonna be a lot harder to use with all them Zens floating around. Ana too.

Trickster

How are they bullshit? As a Roadhog main, I can say that they ain't bullshit. It's hard as shit to land those things. There is a reason you can get a card for good hook accuracy. Plus, most characters can survive it and escape from it. It's more bullshit that they were glitched and that the consistency of it was based on RNG and you would get screwed over by someone getting hooked behind you.

Also, he's gonna be a lot harder to use with all them Zens floating around.

As someone with my most palyed hero being roadhog, his hooks are easy as fuck to land

Make his ult speed his base speed, lower his hp to 150 and buff his damage back up. Permanent "Gotta Go Fast" Zen.
But then you have a shitty Tracer who needs to somehow line up perfect sniper shots while moving at high speed. :p

He has a low speed while in normal movement because he needs precision to be truly devastating.

As someone with my most palyed hero being roadhog, his hooks are easy as fuck to land
If they were "easy to land", every decent Roadhog player would have 90+% hook accuracy instead of 40-60%. You can't seriously look me in the face and say it's easy to hook a tracer or a Pharah in the sky.

And like Ramirez said, it depends who you are playing against. A good player will bait your hook and easily dodge it, or in Genjis case, deflect it.

Trickster

If they were "easy to land", every decent Roadhog player would have 90+% hook accuracy instead of 40-60%. You can't seriously look me in the face and say it's easy to hook a tracer or a Pharah in the sky.

And like Ramirez said, it depends who you are playing against. A good player will bait your hook and easily dodge it, or in Genjis case, deflect it.

What? Pharahs are super easy? Tracer are hard because they blink all over. But them and Genji are the only real issues

What? Pharahs are super easy? Tracer are hard because they blink all over. But them and Genji are the only real issues
Again, like I said, a good player will bait your hook, then take you out. Most characters can survive roadhogs shotgun and a lot of them have some form of escape. If Roadhogs hooks were "easy to land", he'd be fucking unstoppable.

Also, how are Pharahs super easy? Most pharahs are gonna be pretty far away from you(if they are smart) so if they just move a foot, your hook will miss.

patchday

Where do I go to beg Blizzard to get some kind of mode where there is a hero limit for casuals? I tried going on the blizzard forums, but apparently they don't allow dirty console peasants on their pristine premises. I played Mobawatch all week, and now that's gone, so I have to go back to QP. I get put into a match with 3 torbs and I just want to kill myself.

I really can't understand how Blizzard can think that the disappointment of not being able to choose your hero for one single game is anything comparable to having to face stacking of Torbs.

They took it out of Competitive because it's not fun to play with, not fun to play against, and it's not fun to watch. And nothing about those things changes when you go casual in QP. I do not want to play competitive. Everything I heard about it puts me off it. Having to choose between complete bullshit mechanics and a gaming environment you don't want to be part of is bullshit.

that's just crazy. I am fine with hero stacking getting removed from competitive so that will help alleviate 40 min standoffs. But Quick play is fine as is.It never suffered from that issue

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Again, like I said, a good player will bait your hook, then take you out. Most characters can survive roadhogs shotgun and a lot of them have some form of escape. If Roadhogs hooks were "easy to land", he'd be fucking unstoppable.

Also, how are Pharahs super easy? Most pharahs are gonna be pretty far away from you(if they are smart) so if they just move a foot, your hook will miss.

You need to aim vertically because I believe that roadhog's hook hitbox is bigger vertically than horizontally.

Zemm

Roadhogs hooks had no consistency at all, you had to fucking pray the person would land infront of you because it was so random if they did or not. Anyway he's less viable right now with the Zens, McCrees and Ana's around using him as a pin cushion.

Kito

Ana's ult will get nerfed at some point but maybe not for a while.

Unless you boost a Reaper or Rein at full health it's pretty useless *most of time*, in my experiences. Good Genjis and Roadhogs can successfully do their ults without boost.

I would like a new ult altogether that helps more than just several characters.

Which makes the PTR a huge waste of fucking time.

Mercy's damage boost got nerfed thanks to PTR.

Veelk

Banned
that's just crazy. I am fine with hero stacking getting removed from competitive so that will help alleviate 40 min standoffs. But Quick play is fine as is.It never suffered from that issue

How? As far as I know, there is no gameplay difference between comp and QP, just different way of scoring in a match. Every problem of stacking easily transfers over to QP. Or, at the very least, stacking in QP is a nightmare to deal with. The coordination required to kill a team of Torbs is disproportionately higher than the coordination required to set up. It's literally impossible unless your entire team works perfectly as a unit, and that doesn't happen often, especially in solo queuing.

Ramirez

How? As far as I know, there is no gameplay difference between comp and QP, just different way of scoring in a match. Every problem of stacking easily transfers over to QP. Or, at the very least, stacking in QP is a nightmare to deal with. The coordination required to kill a team of Torbs is disproportionately higher than the coordination required to set up. It's literally impossible unless your entire team works perfectly as a unit, and that doesn't happen often, especially in solo queuing.

Why are you against playing competitive? It will easily give you the best matches the game has to offer. You'll get idiots every now and then, but I mean, you get idiots in basically every match of QP.

Trickster

She never should have gotten a dmg boost buff in the first place. I've not seen one person say it was needed

Why are you against playing competitive? It will easily give you the best matches the game has to offer. You'll get idiots every now and then, but I mean, you get idiots in basically every match of QP.

One match takes forever and the rewards for doing competitive is godawful/ non existant

exYle

Unless you boost a Reaper or Rein at full health it's pretty useless *most of time*, in my experiences. Good Genjis and Roadhogs can successfully do their ults without boost.

I would like a new ult altogether that helps more than just several characters.

Zenyatta's damage got nerfed, too.

Yeah, if you don't care about your ranking and how high you get, it's basically just longer matches that net you more XP and competitive points that get you gold weapons. If you don't care about ranking, I don't see anything you can lose out of playing Ranked.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, if you don't care about your ranking and how high you get, it's basically just longer matches that net you more XP and competitive points that get you gold weapons. If you don't care about ranking, I don't see anything you can lose out of playing Ranked.

The longer matches can be kind of a ball breaker though.

patchday

you must be on console or something. Torb and Bastion are annoying but they can be dealt with. There's a reason you rarely see Torb or bastion ever on pro level. They are basically pure pub stompers

Also, some of us have played MOBAs for yrs. Lack of Hero stacks means people fight over their preferred hero. Removing hero stacking altogether is plain crazy too me. Maybe some other player will empathsize with ya but I never will. I've greatly enjoyed hero stacking personally

The longer matches can be kind of a ball breaker though.
Yeah, but most of the long matches are on the 2CP maps, which are already ball breakers :p Payload usually ain't too long, and while KotH can be long, the maps rotate on that, so you're not playing the same map over and over again like in 2CP.

FoxSpirit

LOL, just lost 6 matches in a row in quick play. Maybe I should just stick to play vs AI.
Don't worry, your MMR will settle at a point where this becomes as rare as 6 wins in a row. But itm's importantr to leave and rejoin when your team is utterly terrible after 2 matches, sometimes people stick around and you have 4 losses with a non-team in a row. Do this far too often. Hope it gets better. Hope dies last X-|

patchday

Now that hero stacking is gone- you competitive players seeing shorter matches? Been avoiding ranked purely due to long matches. Hearthstone spoiled me so hard for ranked play. Havent touched no other game for ranked since. But I love OW's casual modes. Really havent had much reason to go ranked. Maybe after I hit Level 50? I'm bout Level 42 now

Anyway--- you guys getting shorter matches in competitive now or do you still see 30 min+ long matches???

Antiwhippy

Yeah, but most of the long matches are on the 2CP maps, which are already ball breakers :p Payload usually ain't too long, and while KotH can be long, the maps rotate on that, so you're not playing the same map over and over again like in 2CP.

Yeah.

But.

The chances of running into 2CP in ranked.

Might not be worth it.

patchday

Don't worry, your MMR will settle at a point where this becomes as rare as 6 wins in a row. But itm's importantr to leave and rejoin when your team is utterly terrible after 2 matches, sometimes people stick around and you have 4 losses with a non-team in a row. Do this far too often. Hope it gets better. Hope dies last X-|

I am hesitant to blame the teammates. I think its rare when someone logs on and thinks to theirself- "You know what? I am going to lose all my matches and piss on my teammates"

If I feel my team is making some kinda effort I will usually hang in there.

Note- I speak of casual modes. My goal is to get consective xp bonus + win bonus

edit: My point is- I suspect the guy that got 6 losses in a row needs to improve their play a bit better. Perhaps get a better feel for team compositions and 'fill' properly

NimbusD

It's weird to see a sticky zenyatta. THat's gonna take some adjustment. Also fuck the dva buffs. Way too fucking much. They might as well have extended her boost time too for how crazy she is now. She's already super surviveable, now every fucking quick play team has two of her alternating her defense matrix which rarely depletes. There's no penalty for doing it at the wrong time cuz you can just cancel it and it blocks pretty much everything.

On top of that you killer her mech and, well, she's not actually dead. AND her ult won't kill her. It's stupid.

Thank god you can't do two of her in comp. This actually makes me hate quick play which was a fun time whereas comp was frustrating, now it's the other way.

Veelk

Banned

Well, for one, I don't consider myself that good. I would probably piss off the team for not being a great player more than anything.

Second, I don't like the tracking and ranking that higher level play entails. For example, lets take a lesser version: Quick play wins/loss rate. It doesn't bother me THAT much, since I'm doing slightly above acerage at a 55% winrate, but when I played the Mobawatch, I found out that it didn't count towards my win's or losses. It was an open air game, one where you can play how you want and it won't be a permanent mark against you. For me, it was a breath of fresh air not to check my W/L ratio every couple matches to see if I went down by a lot. The only tracking done is in the present game, and once that's gone, that's permanently gone. It exists in the present. In Comp, I would have not just another ranking system, but a ranking system that's reportedly broken and frustrating. One that you can win a match and gain 10%, then lose a match and lose a whole rank. I wish I honestly didn't care, but something about my brain can't help but be discouraged when I see the numbers prove I didn't do well. And worst of all, it only works one way. I don't feel any better if I win and achieve something, just shittier if I lose.

Third, I'm assuming there is a higher amount of toxicity in Comp. Some people go to just play the game, some people go to win, and people who go to win generally go to Comp. It's in the name, "Competitive". I'm just not an overly high energy player that invests in winning to the extreme. If we play a good match but lose, that's pretty good for me, (especially if, again, it's not being tracked and not leaving me with a black mark on my record).

I feel there is also less room for experimentation in Comp. Before the games were split between QP and Comp, I was afraid to try certain heroes. Because to get better at a hero, I need to play them, but if I play a hero incompetently, there goes the match and the team gets made for losing, forcing me to be stuck with the pair that I am good with. When QP and Comp were split, the atmopshere became more relaxed and fun to play.

Maybe I'm wrong and have a misconception of Comp from points 1, 3 and 4, but I know for a fact that the Rankings are just going to be a constant discouragement for me. I just highly doubt it's the environment for me.

you must be on console or something. Torb and Bastion are annoying but they can be dealt with. There's a reason you rarely see Torb or bastion ever on pro level. They are basically pure pub stompers

Also, some of us have played MOBAs for yrs. Lack of Hero stacks means people fight over their preferred hero. Removing hero stacking altogether is plain crazy too me. Maybe some other player will empathsize with ya but I never will. I've greatly enjoyed hero stacking personally

Yup, console.

Also, this is another reason why I don't want to go comp. I don't like the idea of nonviable heroes. If I have to play in a less skilled environment to see people make use of heroes that aren't top tier, I'd prefer that than pure skill based environment that renders them worthless.

As far as hero stacking goes, I don't know, maybe it worked in other MOBA's, but in Overwatch itself, stacking just sucks. Even if I win, it's not a victory I felt was good. It's just annoying to fight and makes for uninteresting matches.

I can meet you halfway and say Stacking is okay in QP, but only if we get another casual mode where stacking isn't allowed. I feel this is a good way for everyone to get what they want. The game population is large enough right now to handle the split. I don't want to prevent you from playing how you like, but I can't stand stacking and never want to play it again.

Odrion

Banned
Zenyatta is in a good place. He's still pretty easy to kill since when you engage him he has no option other than to 1.) fight or 2.) ult.

And they did nerf his damage.

Zemm

Yeah.

But.

The chances of running into 2CP in ranked.

Might not be worth it.

It's a deal breaker most of the time for me. Unless I really really want to play comp (like QP is just being shit with class stacking or whatever) then I always think "hmm, might get a CP map" and just don't bother. If I could guarantee KoTH or Payload then I'd probably play more. Playing CP maps is just soul crushing even if you win.

patchday

Well, for one, I don't consider myself that good. I would probably piss off the team for not being a great player more than anything.

Second, I don't like the tracking and ranking that higher level play entails. For example, lets take a lesser version: Quick play wins/loss rate. It doesn't bother me THAT much, since I'm doing slightly above acerage at a 55% winrate, but when I played the Mobawatch, I found out that it didn't count towards my win's or losses. It was an open air game, one where you can play how you want and it won't be a permanent mark against you. For me, it was a breath of fresh air not to check my W/L ratio every couple matches to see if I went down by a lot. The only tracking done is in the present game, and once that's gone, that's permanently gone. It exists in the present. In Comp, I would have not just another ranking system, but a ranking system that's reportedly broken and frustrating. One that you can win a match and gain 10%, then lose a match and lose a whole rank. I wish I honestly didn't care, but something about my brain can't help but be discouraged when I see the numbers prove I didn't do well. And worst of all, it only works one way. I don't feel any better if I win and achieve something, just shittier if I lose.

Third, I'm assuming there is a higher amount of toxicity in Comp. Some people go to just play the game, some people go to win, and people who go to win generally go to Comp. It's in the name, "Competitive". I'm just not an overly high energy player that invests in winning to the extreme. If we play a good match but lose, that's pretty good for me, (especially if, again, it's not being tracked and not leaving me with a black mark on my record).

I feel there is also less room for experimentation in Comp. Before the games were split between QP and Comp, I was afraid to try certain heroes. Because to get better at a hero, I need to play them, but if I play a hero incompetently, there goes the match and the team gets made for losing, forcing me to be stuck with the pair that I am good with. When QP and Comp were split, the atmopshere became more relaxed and fun to play.

Maybe I'm wrong and have a misconception of Comp from points 1, 3 and 4, but I know for a fact that the Rankings are just going to be a constant discouragement for me. I just highly doubt it's the environment for me.

Yup, console.

Also, this is another reason why I don't want to go comp. I don't like the idea of nonviable heroes. If I have to play in a less skilled environment to see people make use of heroes that aren't top tier, I'd prefer that than pure skill based environment that renders them worthless.

Oh--- you're on Console. I do own PS4 ver as well but I barely play there. You also gave good points why you wont touch competitive

I wish the devs could somehow accomodate us both. Give you a mode where there is no hero stacking.... Well I guess I could live without hero stacking but I really feel it makes the game unique

I sort of feel ya though I do wish Bastion and Torb never existed. Even though I play on PC sometimes its a hassle switching to a sniper to handle them

Antiwhippy

It's a deal breaker most of the time for me. Unless I really really want to play comp (like QP is just being shit with class stacking or whatever) then I always think "hmm, might get a CP map" and just don't bother. If I could guarantee KoTH or Payload then I'd probably play more. Playing CP maps is just soul crushing even if you win.

Like I don't mind getting steamrolled in 2CP now.

I just don't want to spend 50mins+ on 1 map.

patchday

Oh btw to clarify Hero stacking is -NOT- a thing in MOBAs. It was such a delight and a breathe of fresh air to see hero stacking is a thing here. In MOBAs- often youre favorite hero might get banned or someone else locks it in or you just didnt get the role that 'fits' that hero.

Overwatch has been great by allowing hero stacks in casual modes. But I understand the devs must cater to the masses so it is what it is.

Veelk

Banned
Oh btw to clarify Hero stacking is -NOT- a thing in MOBAs. It was such a delight and a breathe of fresh air to see hero stacking is a thing here. In MOBAs- often youre favorite hero might get banned or someone else locks it in or you just didnt get the role that 'fits' that hero.

Overwatch has been great by allowing hero stacks in casual modes. But I understand the devs must cater to the masses so it is what it is.

Well, I played Mobawatch all last week, and more than a few times, someone took my fav, D.Va. Okay, so I went with my second Fav, Genji. If someone also took him, I just kept going down the list until I found someone I wanted to play as. One of the things that makes Overwatch great to me is that almost every class is fun to play as. The only one I flat out never want to bother with is Soldier 76, but he's the ONLY one. I'm happy to play anyone else. Even if it's someone I'm not good with, well then, here's some practice.

I know there are some people who stick to only one character. I mean, I've seen people who had literally hundreds of hours on Mei or Mercy or Torb and have never even tried anyone else. I won't belittle how they play, but I think they'd be much happier if they switched it up every now and then. It's a better way of both playing and understanding the game, I'd say.

Like I said, there's an easy solution here: Make a mode that is like QP but with no stacking and keep QP as is, and everyone's happy. As I said, I don't mind if you want to stack. But I'm currently in a shitty position from either choosing a gameplay mode that I consider really unpleasant vs playing with what I consider the worst mechanic in the game.

SlickVic

Thanks I'll give it another shot. I usually switch out after 2-3 losses but just got dominated on attack and defense. Guess I wasn't efficient enough to heal teammates and I'm sure being subpar at multiplayer games doesn't help either now that the game's been out for sometime and most players have been getting better.

Gator86

Finally hit level 100 and reached rank 66. I have the 250th best Torb apparently. It's still ridiculous how good Overwatch is.

Soulflarz

Banned
67->65
I need to stop having people invite 45s to the group on console (and need a competent group of high 50s/60s)

like honestly it's not that I want to be obnoxious, it's just being in the 60s and hearing mid 40/high 40s talk about strategy and ideas that don't work and dying due to simple skill gaps is highly demoralizing.

Also doesn't help that 2/3 I knew refused to flip off d va. Then again, I main reaper, but hey, if I got to 67 only as reaper and getting 2-3 golds most matches, whatever :p

(on that note, anyone want to join up on ps4 in general?)

67->65
I need to stop having people invite 45s to the group on console (and need a competent group of high 50s/60s)

like honestly it's not that I want to be obnoxious, it's just being in the 60s and hearing mid 40/high 40s talk about strategy and ideas that don't work and dying due to simple skill gaps is highly demoralizing.

Also doesn't help that 2/3 I knew refused to flip off d va. Then again, I main reaper, but hey, if I got to 67 only as reaper and getting 2-3 golds most matches, whatever :p

(on that note, anyone want to join up on ps4 in general?)

I might be up for some games sometime. I've been as high as 65, but atm I'm at 60. I'm not sure if that meets your qualifications.

xx_BATMANx

Soulflarz

Banned
I might be up for some games sometime. I've been as high as 65, but atm I'm at 60. I'm not sure if that meets your qualifications.

xx_BATMANx

Gd4033, cause why not have a bad psn :p I'll add later, just got off for some FFXI

And yeah 60 is fine, it's moreso the super low ranks. The difference between 45 and 60 in percentile is about 50%, it's kind of crazy. Kind of creates a weird issue when people see a 50 and a 60 and claim that "we're only 10% different" when the difference is a huge amount.

patchday

Thanks I'll give it another shot. I usually switch out after 2-3 losses but just got dominated on attack and defense. Guess I wasn't efficient enough to heal teammates and I'm sure being subpar at multiplayer games doesn't help either now that the game's been out for sometime and most players have been getting better.

most of us is subpar. My advice is to try your best and at least give your team 2 back-to-back matches if you can bare it. Everyone loses sometimes. But if you can somehow stay and figure out how to help the team win I believe this will help you learn to 'carry' and improve your gameplay

Try not to blame teammates. We all do it. Even the pro streamers do it. But you cant really help them improve. Can only improve yourself and try to bring out the best

Oh btw--- you play Support main? Well nevermind everything I say lol. Supports are usually at the 'mercy' of their team quite literally. Only exception is playing an aggressive support (aka someone that is probably not Mercy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom