• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxSpirit

While I have had the moments of reprieve to repair, I would argue that you're already putting yourself at a disadvantage by repairing. As you mentioned, guerrilla warfare. No point in repairing your turret since they now know where it is and you'd be better off simply building a new turret near the point but somewhere else to surprise them with.

Only real time I can think of repairing is when the enemy team is trickling in rather than coming in together or in smaller groups and at that point, you've likely already won.
My turrets are always placed in places that are not that easy to reach but still give decent coverage. I expect them to come for my turret. I know where they come from. My gun is ready.

And yeah, in high level play your turret is useless because it's quickly vaporized. But any Torb buff would murder low/mid level SoloQ. He is what he is, great in some places, worse in others.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
No, yeah POTG definitely favors Reinhardt now. I just played the best run of McCree I've ever run in my life with 5 kills in the span of about 10 seconds and Reinahrdt swinging his hammer with Ana buff on two guys got POTG.

I assume it's a damage done deal.

mxgt

Banned
D.Va changes are so good.

I think I got about as many 3+ kill ults in one evening as I have done my entire time playing her up until now.

The timing change is huge.

-MD-

Got up to rank 69 but the teams we started facing got pretty ridiculous so down to 68 I go.

The very first Dva I ran into post-patch battled me as Tracer in a room for nearly a minute, I recalled like 3 times, grabbed a health pack, nearly a dozen blinks, a dozen full ammo clips. The shield spam was real, I expect that to get some changes. I think using it a certain amount of times within a certain time period should automatically put it on cooldown, that'd probably fix it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Also think it's kind of weird that Ana gets the 'sniper' voice prompt from your teammates. Like... Not really. You'd be better off warning of a sniper if they saw McCree over Ana.

peakish

Something needs to be done about Sudden Death.

Just had a game on Hanamura where my team couldn't capture the first point, then they couldn't capture the first point. So Sudden Death, we get to attack that same point with far less time? Terrific.

The defending side should have less time than usual to set up their defences, or their ultimates should build up at a slower rate.

My team goes down a rank because we have 90 seconds to capture a point neither side could manage to capture in, what is it? 5 minutes?

Bullshit!
Thing is that a quick coordinated push can easily push through a defense much faster. I don't think the time limits are the problem, the problem is SD is a terrible mode. Even if they balance win rates perfectly it feels like a crap shot.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Got up to rank 69 but the teams we started facing got pretty ridiculous so down to 68 I go.

The very first Dva I ran into post-patch battled me as Tracer in a room for nearly a minute, I recalled like 3 times, grabbed a health pack, nearly a dozen blinks, a dozen full ammo clips. The shield spam was real, I expect that to get some changes. I think using it a certain amount of times within a certain time period should automatically put it on cooldown, that'd probably fix it.

Nah fuck that, tracer shouldn't do shit to dva.

Veelk

Banned

Dude, you managed to survive enough to recall 3 times, do a dozen blinks and fire a dozen full blinks all in one encounter, and you're arguing that D.Va's the one that's too survivable?

Before this, D.Va's were basically helpless against Tracers. Now they can atleast defend themselves so long as the tracer doesn't manage to get behind them, something Tracer has an extremely easy way of doing. Her being able to tactically use her DM to nuetralize Tracer's damage is perfect. Tracer's still got the advantage because D.Va is unlikely to kill her, but she now has a chance at survival. It's good.

I look forward to drinking Tracer tears.

FoxSpirit

No, yeah POTG definitely favors Reinhardt now. I just played the best run of McCree I've ever run in my life with 5 kills in the span of about 10 seconds and Reinahrdt swinging his hammer with Ana buff on two guys got POTG.

I assume it's a damage done deal.
There is a huge overvaluing on Ultimates, both in kills and shutdown. I got Zen POTG because I shot down an ulting Pharah. On a sidenote, I got my first MVP card ever. With Zenyatta. The faster orb travel is just what he needed to work as intended. Awesomely fun. OP? No way, if someone gets into your back you are toast, you are slow and have no skills to flee or put him out of any kind.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't care if they nerf Zen's hp or his damage but do not touch the orb of harmony travel time. I actually feel like a useful healer for once as Zen.

Veelk

Banned
D.vain't shield should be nerfed, but not because Tracer can't hurt her, but because nobody can hurt her.

How so? DM doesn't do shit to nonprojectile attacks and you can still attack her from behind.

Granted, I haven't played Buffed D.Va yet, but the regular tools should still work to kill her. Outlast her DM with concentrated fire or use Winston or Symmetra's gun (a jumping Sym is hard as shit to hit with D.Va (again, console player here)), Genji's ult, Rein's Hammer, Mei's gun, Zarya's beam, etc.

Controllable DM will definitely help, but there have been plenty of times where DMing hasn't stopped enemies from killing me.

It can go a total of 10s and while she has it up she can get into effective range where she'll out dps a lot of the characters not named Reaper. She doesn't need to reload while you do and if you try to run she'll just get on your ass again. Trying to solo D.Va is a pretty terrible idea now.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Maybe part of it is that I'm not playing comp, so I have to put up with two D.Vas overlapping their defence matrices. Virtually impossible to kill honestly. Even my friend who spent the last week saying that he can't see how D.Va is as bad as those of us who've been playing the PTR have been saying admitted she's probably been slightly overbuffed.

Mutombo

how are you ps4 players finding your aim sensitivity? I'm not a big console fps player, so I had some difficulties in the beginning. But after some tweaking (sensitivity hovers around 35) I'm getting the hang of it. But if you watch a few clips of pro players on PC, it literally looks like an entire different game.

Veelk

Banned
It can go a total of 10s and while she has it up she can get into effective range where she'll out dps a lot of the characters not named Reaper. She doesn't need to reload while you do and if you try to run she'll just get on your ass again. Trying to solo D.Va is a pretty terrible idea now.

And isn't that how it's supposed to be? She's a tank. Her job is to rek the enemy's shit. You go up against a Reinhardt in a close encounter, then he's usually gonna win because his shield prevents damage from afar and up close his hammer is going to wreck you most of the time. The best way to take him out is to flank him with a teammate. Same thing with Zarya and Roadhog. It's easy to take them out in a group, but going up against them mano-a-mano is and should be suicide most of the time. D.Va worked as a flanker before this, but her survivability was low. In fact, the best suitability I had was when I actually had my tank die, managed to win while on foot, then get my tank back again...but D.Va's pretty fragile on land, so even if she's not helpless, she usually dies. Better survivability (and lethality with her ult) was necessary.

how are you ps4 players finding your aim sensitivity? I'm not a big console fps player, so I had some difficulties in the beginning. But after some tweaking (sensitivity hovers around 35) I'm getting the hang of it. But if you watch a few clips of pro players on PC, it literally looks like an entire different game.

I have mine at 70-80. Turning was too slow before then, since characters could literally run around faster than I could turn. I have trouble with Hanzo sometimes because his precision requisite is pretty high, but for me it's much better.

duckroll

It blocks shots directly in front of her, so teammates wanting to take advantage of that are taking advantage of enemies foolishly targeting a DM'd Dva instead of them. Sure, it gives Dva room to maneuver but that's the point, just like her boost. She has to be able to get into the mix and position herself to really take advantage of anything. Otherwise she's a sitting duck without much punch.

The buff makes Dva easier to use and better communicates the purpose of her skill set. It is exactly the sort of thing they should be doing to improve a character. There's nothing in the buff that really changes the way she is actually used, so most of the counters against Dva in the past still work.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Funnily enough mei is kind of a nightmare for dva.

Funny because i know gold hates mei too.

Also yeah, pretty sure you can hook through matrix.

I don't find D.Va too bad but she's basically a mini-Reinhardt now. The total pool of defense matrix means that it won't really run out if they smartly toggle.

Veelk

Banned
I just want ONE fucking match today that isn't a complete shit show.

Just one.

I've lost like 10+ matches today. Some of those were actually good games, but consistently losing like this is never fun. I just want one.

So I join yet another game. It's on Voskaya on attack. 3 minutes left.

I check the characters. It's torbs all over with a mercy.

759.gif

I want my mobawatch back

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Does Ana's ult do anything to Nerf This? I got buffed as I was hitting ult so my mech was still glowing. Didn't know if it increased the range or what.

Pooya

ayy, complaining that you can't solo kill a tank. She's now on same power level as other tanks, it's just your previous mindset that dva should die instantly to anything, nope, that ship has sailed. You gotta respect dva like she's roadhog or winston when you're playing a squishy.

Tracer shouldn't be able to do shit to tanks so that's working as intended, the fact that tracer can easily kill winston that is supposed to be her counter according to game's tips is the problem. If anything Tracer needs a nerf.

_Legacy_

Sudden Death coin flips are such bull, I must have had attack 9 times our of 10 now, not even exaggerating! I'm due a run of straight defend flips soon. 90 seconds to attack is ridiculous, I think my team have only ever managed it once.

Has anyone got any tips for this ridiculously unbalanced situation? Double D.Va/Winston maybe?

Veelk

Banned
FINALLY! I got one!

I thought for sure that this would be yet another match where we were steam rolled over after we lost the first checkpoint hilariously easily, but we managed to rally together.

In fact I was sure I was going to get PotG because I just had my highest Ult kill with Pharah that I ever had.

A bastion got it instead. In fact, he got it because he ulted around the same time and killed all the characters I apparently only assisted him with. *sigh* =_=

Whatever. It's a win. I needed a win.

Edit: I just checked, and my winrate dropped today from above 55% to 53.5%. I shouldn't care about that and I really wish I didn't, because it never brings me any happiness, just disappointment. Again, I want a mode that's just free from tracking. Not knowing how well I'm doing is much better than knowing for me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Dash through a Bastion and end up dead. Literally behind him. Kill cam happens. I am dead at Bastion's feet and never went past him

well made kideo game

peakish

Anyone else feel like Reinhardt doesn't deserve the "one star difficulty" rating? It's easy enough to stand with his shield and soak damage but I think he's difficult as shit to use in an actually good way. That is to know when to swing the hammer, when to charge (especially against a rival Rein) and when to walk forward (although this mostly just requires a team to actually follow you). I'm at the point where knowing these skills seem much more important than just holding RMB. Also, positioning.

Granted most characters are more difficult to use well but Rein in particular becomes such a central part of your team. I get nervous as hell playing him since so much of the team starts depending on you and any fuckup feels really bad.

duckroll

1 star doesn't mean "easy to master", 1 star literally means "easy to use in basic capacity". That describes Rein to a tee. Even a terrible player (like me!) given the patience and a small amount of practice, can function decently as Rein in the basic capacity. You shield your team as you approach contested positions, you use your projectile once in a while, you charge if you need to sweep enemies out of the way, etc. Basically WYSIWYG, you press a button and it does that function, and most of the functions are singular in purpose.

Mendrox

Funnily enough mei is kind of a nightmare for dva.

Funny because i know gold hates mei too.

Also yeah, pretty sure you can hook through matrix.

Mei a nightmare for Dva? I always laugh at Mei faces because I can just fly away even if you try to freeze me. Mei is not a problem at all.

As someone who likes picking pharah, I feel the new uptime on d.va's shield makes it much harder for me to function. Absorbing a rocket, firing her guns, and then absorbing the next one effectively stops me from damaging her or people near her forever. I can't bait her shield cooldown before barrage anymore either.

I don't think she's too strong, but I wasn't anticipating the effect her buff had on this matchup, and it kinda hurts on top of the mccree buff and ana addition.

Rixxan

Not sure what my assessment is on DVa yet but my gut is telling me she needs a SLIGHT reduction to the shield duration

I do like that McCree can stomp again, you get hot with that left click and you can do some work, not even using fan anymore TBH

peakish

1 star doesn't mean "easy to master", 1 star literally means "easy to use in basic capacity". That describes Rein to a tee. Even a terrible player (like me!) given the patience and a small amount of practice, can function decently as Rein in the basic capacity. You shield your team as you approach contested positions, you use your projectile once in a while, you charge if you need to sweep enemies out of the way, etc. Basically WYSIWYG, you press a button and it does that function, and most of the functions are singular in purpose.
I suppose that's a better way of looking at the rating, although I think it's underselling him just a bit compared to more straightforward easy characters like S76. In the sense that I think many players undersell how difficult it is to play him well, just hold LMB/RMB lololol but don't you dare die

Then again Mercy has similar issues. It's easy to stand behind someone and hold a button, not so much to keep track of enemy ults and make good decisions about when to heal, hide or res. Hence why her winrate is shit.

Had 2 amazing games as Symmetra today, one on Volskaya one on Hanamura. <3

Also, tried a bit of Ana. I'm really liking her but I really need to get better at aiming ahaha. u_u

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I recommend learning your flankers right now because almost none of the Anas heal anyone that's behind them or to the side of them

You'll learn those medkit locations real fast

Jarate

Banned
Can't wait for the console patch, really think sincce people know hero stacking is gonna be gone from comp, that's all they are gonna run in comp, so i really dont want to play it right now :/

I'll be on later today most likely if anyone wants to play with me. Im 62 right now, can play a mean Zarya, Torb, and Zenyatta

PSN: MC_Giygas

Both games I played yesterday had two and three DVas respectively. She might feel well balanced in comp, but this initial impression where she could be stacked wasn't really great. She looked like she got a little too much mobility for the survivability she has now. If my poor Zarya has to go up against three ED209s, I think they should move like ED209 too. Much slower walking speed, and incapable of going up or down stairs without the flight pack.

Veelk

Banned
Well, I guess I got cocky with my 2 game win streak and the game decided to match me up against a team in the several hundreds which was clearly communicating with each other to make any retaliation impossible while solo queuing. That's what I get for my "enjoying the game" bullshit. Atleast they didn't stack their team.

Mendrox

Both games I played yesterday had two and three DVas respectively. She might feel well balanced in comp, but this initial impression where she could be stacked wasn't really great. She looked like she got a little too much mobility for the survivability she has now. If my poor Zarya has to go up against three ED209s, I think they should move like ED209 too. Much slower walking speed, and incapable of going up or down stairs without the flight pack.

She is just viable now and people that didn't play her before (stop it guys!) play her now. I am happy about the buff, but a bit sad that I can't play her because every fucker tries her now.

I was told its every 25 levels

Well I got my first one around level... 13 I think? I forgot.

She is just viable now and people that didn't play her before (stop it guys!) play her now. I am happy about the buff, but a bit sad that I can't play her because every fucker tries her now.

Just like everyone's playing Ana and Zenyatta now. Give it a few days to a week of the patch being out and things will die down a bit. Though D.Va still will be used very often because she's extremely strong now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom