• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

peakish

Little questions:

Why did Blizzard include a crouch button? The only possible reason I can think of is that they had an extra button and couldn't think of what to do with it, but then they gave Torb and Mercy an alternative weapon and placed it awkwardly on the D-pad? The only thing I've ever seen crouch used for is so a dirty Torb could look up a Widow's skirt.

Also, did they add a weapon skin viewer to the PS4 or am I just insane? I could have sworn this wasn't a feature before, but I saw no announcement or anything, I just noticed a "view equipment" option in the Hero Gallery when picking costumes and now I can see how any given skin will change the look of my weapon.

With D.Va's 3 second timer, is it still a viable strategy to shoot the meka up in the air and have it fall down to the enemy? Or do I risk it exploding midair?
Crouching silences your footsteps. Also some use, albeit limited, for dodging shots.

duckroll

I've crouched next to the payload on a blind side many many times, and just kept pushing it when the other team is too blind to actually run around it to check. This works especially well at the end of Hollywood, if the enemy team set up all their defenses on one side of the final chokepoint.

Afro

Little questions:

Why did Blizzard include a crouch button? The only possible reason I can think of is that they had an extra button and couldn't think of what to do with it, but then they gave Torb and Mercy an alternative weapon and placed it awkwardly on the D-pad? The only thing I've ever seen crouch used for is so a dirty Torb could look up a Widow's skirt.

I sometimes use it to get a bit lower while pushing the payload from the side to be less visible. Also, LOL @ bold.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Little questions:

Also, did they add a weapon skin viewer to the PS4 or am I just insane? I could have sworn this wasn't a feature before, but I saw no announcement or anything, I just noticed a "view equipment" option in the Hero Gallery when picking costumes and now I can see how any given skin will change the look of my weapon.

With D.Va's 3 second timer, is it still a viable strategy to shoot the meka up in the air and have it fall down to the enemy? Or do I risk it exploding midair?

Crouch is good for resort if you don't want people to know you're approaching. I barely use it though.

Also yeah, you have to get used to the new ult timing. I've definitely exploded my meka way too high up in the air.

LiK

Little questions:

It's hilarious. I need to remember to just map another action to it. Crouch is useless.

NotLiquid

Crouching has become a lot more useful to me now that there are people that are actually playing D.Va. Small blindspots and props are a lot more integral now that D.Va is a character that can actually make an aggressive push(back) with her self destruct. She was such a rare character before that it didn't matter to me but nowadays you see her everywhere.

Veelk

Banned
It's hilarious. I need to remember to just map another action to it. Crouch is useless.

That's pretty much what I did with Mercy and Torb, to get their alts more easily ready.

Speaking of mapping controllers, can someone help me out with my Genji config?

I need jump on L2, so I have it there.

Dash stayed on L1 where it was before.

I moved the cone shuriken arch to R1.

But now I have the problem of figuring out where to put Reflect. I tried circle, but I feel I need to keep my thumb on the right stick or else there is a delay when I can't let there be. I've tried to put it on the R3, but then I have no melee and I need it. It's currently at the L3, but it's it's awkward. On both thumbsticks, I often accidentally activated by pressing too hard, and after several play sessions, I've still haven't gotten used to L3 being my reflect button. I can remember it if I'm actively thinking about it, but I can't do that in the middle of battle where it needs to be a reflex.

Palmer_v1

Little questions:

Crouch button hides the sound of footsteps.

PatjuhR

That's pretty much what I did with Mercy and Torb, to get their alts more easily ready.

But now I have the problem of figuring out where to put Reflect. I tried circle, but I feel I need to keep my thumb on the right stick or else there is a delay when I can't let there be. I've tried to put it on the R3, but then I have no melee and I need it. It's currently at the L3, but it's it's awkward. On both thumbsticks, I often accidentally activated by pressing too hard, and after several play sessions, I've still haven't gotten used to L3 being my reflect button. I can remember it if I'm actively thinking about it, but I can't do that in the middle of battle where it needs to be a reflex.

Think X is the way to go then.

Defuser

Why do people insist on playing snipers on KOTH Maps? More than half the time they miss their shots and don't cap/contest points. This annoys me to no end.

duckroll

I am about to commit a crime.

Gonna play a Torb on attack.

Once, I think a week or two ago, I saw a really interesting team on Attack in Hanamura. I was on the receiving end and we lost, it involved an attack Torb. Their attackers distracted us enough to allow the Torb to get into one of the high windows facing the point, and he built a turret in there, because of the general chaos, most of us didn't notice where we were being shot from.

Do it with the PSN app

Thanks!

Little questions:

I've wondered the same thing. Seems useless.

So I'm going to experiment with moving the jump button to one of the PSN sticks. It's really hard to do any acrobatics with Lucio unless I'm doing some funky spiderman grip which isn't comfortable.

Anybody tried this?

Edit: Ha. Ok, so apparently yes this is an ongoing discussion now.

Defuser

Little questions:

Have you ever play a payload match fought so hard that you thought no enemy can move the payload but then the words DEFEAT appeared on your sceen indicating your team lost? Turns out somebody crouch at the side of the payload hidden and move to it's final point for the win. I seen it too many times lol.

DrArchon

Why do people insist on playing snipers on KOTH Maps? More than half the time they miss their shots and don't cap/contest points. This annoys me to no end.

The only sniper I'll accept on KOTH is Hanzo, if they're doing jack shit on round 1 then I'll tell them to switch. There's no grace period for anyone picking Widow though. Hanzo at least can force people to move with his ult and can get quick kills in enclosed spaces with his scatter arrow.

duckroll

The only sniper I'll accept on KOTH is Hanzo, if they're doing jack shit on round 1 then I'll tell them to switch. There's no grace period for anyone picking Widow though. Hanzo at least can force people to move with his ult and can get quick kills in enclosed spaces with his scatter arrow.

We had an Ana on Lijiang just now, asked him if he wanted to switch and he wanted to "try Ana out" so we were fine with it. Lost the first round because we couldn't take them out. He changed to Zarya the next round, we changed up the team comp, creamed them hard the next two rounds. Lol.

Nazo

Moving reflect to X is probably your best option, or move it to R3 and just put melee on X instead. It'll probably be hard to get used to but you'll probably do much better once you chose either option.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I have jump on L1 and deflect on X. I find that you can hit and aim fast enough to not really matter, since the moment you tap the button deflect will stay up so you can aim right after and you're guarding the front with it anyway.

Veelk

Banned
Guys.....guys.....I just fucking give up.

I can't play this game solo anymore.

The fucking torb stacks

the stacks in general

the complete asinine bullshit I see everywhere.

I am getting physically sick how people can't seem to counter the simplest of fucking set ups.

help me please

LiK

The fucking torb stacks

the stacks in general

I am getting physically sick how people can't seem to counter the simplest of fucking set ups.

help me please

Why don't you play with Gaffers? Just playing with one person in a group will MM you with other partial groups.

The fucking torb stacks

the stacks in general

help me please

play ranked

Azoor

I just came back from playing as a Torb attacker in Watchpoint Gibraltar, here are my impressionsons.

We won, we had a Zarya, a Roadhog, a Mercy, a Pharah and a Genji. I stayed in the backline until the coast was clear and placed a Turret on the payload. The team protected my turret well and that Roadhog eventually changed into a Winston to use a shield on the payload. We pushed until we won.

So it can work, but it's highly dependent on the team.

Nazo

I've been having a ton of fun playing more Winston and Roadhog lately. I just wish they had better skins. Not to say the skins they have now aren't good, because they are. I just don't find them all that appealing. They're just not for me. Which really kinda bums me out. Since I've been running around with the Default Roadhog and the Red Planet Winston skins I just don't feel as cool as I could when playing them. I know this is a weird problem to have and I'm probably the only one who feels this way. I just hope Blizz rolls out some new skins sooner than later

Have you ever play a payload match fought so hard that you thought no enemy can move the payload but then the words DEFEAT appeared on your sceen indicating your team lost? Turns out somebody crouch at the side of the payload hidden and move to it's final point for the win. I seen it too many times lol.

I just did this last night as Pharah. It was about to hit overtime and four of us were on the payload moving it to the finish. Enemy Reaper comes in when we have about 5m left and unleashes his ult as I crouch behind the opposite side of the payload. He kills the rest of my team, but my team's Junkrat in his death throes blows the Reaper away from the payload and I cruise it the last 5m before he gets back. Victory!

How does one go about getting PotG w/ Zen?

Put Discord on as many people as you can, try to kill them or at least get a few hits in so it counts as part of your eliminations, and use your ult in clutch moments (pushes or to defend your teams against ults).

Veelk

Banned
Why don't you play with Gaffers? Just playing with one person in a group will MM you with other partial groups.

I have like one gaffer or two gaffers on here, and they're rarely on/available.

I asked for the PS4 community list before, but only one person responded with their PSN, which I forgot to add, which I should go do right now.

Here, if anyone wants to add me, I'm KingofBlades2278. I can't promise that I'll be especially good, especially if I'm forced to play a character I'm not entirely used to (I'm best with D.Va, good with Reaper and Genji, I like to think I'm a half decent Hanzo, a mediocre mercy and okay Lucio, I'm practicing with Pharah, Torb doesn't really require skill, and I like to play Widow, but I need way more practice with her. Everyone else, I have little experience with so I can't promise a good performance of any kind.)

play ranked

I'll be more open to it when they remove the stacking tumor.

I have like one gaffer or two gaffers on here, and they're rarely on/available.

I asked for the PS4 community list before, but only one person responded with their PSN, which I forgot to add, which I should go do right now.

Here, if anyone wants to add me, I'm KingofBlades2278. I can't promise that I'll be especially good, especially if I'm forced to play a character I'm not entirely used to (I'm best with D.Va, good with Reaper and Genji, I like to think I'm a half decent Hanzo, a mediocre mercy and okay Lucio, I'm practicing with Pharah, Torb doesn't really require skill, and I like to play Widow, but I need way more practice with her. Everyone else, I have little experience with so I can't promise a good performance of any kind.)

I'll be more open to it when they remove the stacking tumor.
US/EU?

xaosslug

i went over why i don't think zarya is a great counter before

the best counter to d.va is coordinating your fire on her when she doesn't have her lame shield up

now that she can basically have it up wherever, whenever when would that be exactly? xD

i assume Symm's still resistant to her shielding? Why don't peeps just use her? A good Symm can take a D.Va out no problem, bonus she can also go after any Rein's causing probs as well.

You're asking the wrong question. If you're playing support, your chances of getting PotG are limited to multi-rez with Mercy, boops off the edge with Lucio, or a team that doesn't take Symmetra's beam seriously. Otherwise you have to just hope that you got a nice multi-kill and that your teammates never did anything awesome, which is a weird thing to hope for. I want to set up my opponents to get sweet killstreaks when I'm playing support.

Honestly, I wish they would do an analysis of the PotG and see if you got primary assist from a teammate. For example, if a Soldier 76 gets the PotG with his Tac Visor while being damage boosted by Mercy, the highlight intro should credit both of them. Same with things like Ana's Nanoboost or Zarya's Graviton Surge.

I got one because I discorded and then killed a charging Reinhardt that was about to pin and kill our Zarya, so I got it for lifesaver. I think I also got two more kills and then popped my ult right after as well, but I think killing the charging Reinhardt was what boosted it to POTG.

maomaoIYP

Your stats are actually pretty damn good. Especially your DVa and Genji.

pigeon

Banned
i went over why i don't think zarya is a great counter before

the best counter to d.va is coordinating your fire on her when she doesn't have her lame shield up

Zarya isn't nearly as good a counter to D.Va now that D.Va's shield is actually useful.

Best D.Va counter in my view is Mei. D.Va doesn't do enough damage to ever kill Mei 1v1 unless the Mei fucks up, and getting frozen shuts down both the dash and the shield.

Mei is the character that forces me to switch more than any other.

Characters I am concerned about depending on playskill: Reinhardt (autokill when getting out of mech), Hanzo.

Characters who seem like they should be counters but probably aren't: Roadhog, Reaper, McCree.

Prelude.

Is Hanamura A the most "noob-hostile" choke point in the game? Playing support is maddening sometimes there. Fucking go right and up or left and around. How do they expect to push if they can't even go past the gate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom