• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
But he doesn't know them. If you do that you can take your time and explore the map, you can't (shouldn't) do that while playing.

You don't know how many people ignore the existence of the left route that goes around Numbani A or that on Anubis A if you follow the stairs on the right up until the balcony you can jump on the point from above.

I know all of the side paths in all of the maps. I just have difficulties with orientation (especially on maps like Ilios or Gibraltar, i.e. maps that look really samey), and remembering where, say, all of the alcoves and health packs are.
But again: It's easier to walk around in empty maps than it is to remember everything in the heat of a game. That's what I mean.
Especially when it comes to being aware where my teammates are.

That said, there's some maps that I already know like the back of my hand cause I played on them so much, such as Hanamura or Route 66.

I'm just an old man wanting to have fun. :( And people are so mad in here and I feel almost responsible myself.

NimbusD

I calibrated at 50, peaked at 54. Now at 44.

I usually play Rein on Hanamura because I've seen this happen too many times. You hold shield there long enough to see where to go / build meter, then you just march to one side or the other based on what is there. Once you're past that door, it's not nearly as hard.

People just freak out because there's a turret there most of the time. But with Rein you can just walk past it really.

Yeah pretty much.

Ugh wanna talk about levels? I calibrated at 47 (which sucked because it was before I updated my gpu and the game crashed on 40% of placement matches). Then I kept crashing so fell to low 40's, then I had one just really bad night that I spent getting stuck in bad teams (and sure, I played badly I guess too, but def got gold after gold after gold) and instead of walking away, I played until I got a win. That was at 32, lol. Took me two weeks but I finally fucking clawed my way back to 40. The 30's are a shit show, There's seriously nothing you can do to affect the outcome unless you're playing a spectacularly bad team. It's the luck of the draw w the team you get and if they communicate or not.

Actually you know what? My foray into the 30's did teach me the skill of buttering up your teammates with complements and niceties in order to try to win over the dumbasses who think three reapers (at the time when that was possible) was a good idea for defense in comp. People are so fucking fragile that if you merely suggest their strategy isn't working when it clearly isn't, they become a nightmare. But if you're friendly they're much more (okay maybe like a liiiiitle bit more) likely to respond kindly.

Really wish there were other metrics factoring into skill level other than win/loss.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Man, somehow won an underdog with a teammate that refused to switch off Symmetra and only went up like a fifth of a rank.

Someone on the other team accused me of hacking because I kept getting Roadhog hooks whenever they went through our choke point though. It always feels good when that happens.

Is McCree's FTH damage really that bad of a nerf aka useless? I always take 1 or 2 shots at the enemy to lower health before doing the stun FTH combo, if still alive I will roll and finish the enemy off. Is it that really big of a deal just because his FTH couldn't finish off a 200-250hp character without lowering health first?
If you need to shoot once or twice thats a couple seconds extra TTK on top of being something missable. Before that if you were in range of the stun you were dead no questions asked, it's a big deal.

brian!

Is McCree's FTH damage really that bad of a nerf aka useless? I always take 1 or 2 shots at the enemy to lower health before doing the stun FTH combo, if still alive I will roll and finish the enemy off. Is it that really big of a deal just because his FTH couldn't finish off a 200-250hp character without lowering health first?

It's not useless, just not the default close-range option it used to be, it was pretty oppressive in it's previous iteration

I just looked at that too. I'm pretty sure being in the higher quartile for deaths means you're dying less. Hover over the lower quartiles are you'll see the number is higher. Maybe I read it wrong.

Let's do a test. My Roadhog has 5.07 deaths and it says that's the 89th percentile (top 11%). What are your Roadhog deaths and your percentile?

matmanx1

I've been having a ton of fun playing more Winston and Roadhog lately. I just wish they had better skins. Not to say the skins they have now aren't good, because they are. I just don't find them all that appealing. They're just not for me. Which really kinda bums me out. Since I've been running around with the Default Roadhog and the Red Planet Winston skins I just don't feel as cool as I could when playing them. I know this is a weird problem to have and I'm probably the only one who feels this way. I just hope Blizz rolls out some new skins sooner than later

Frogston, man, Frogston. I love that skin. I just wish I was better as Winston, period. He's really fun (and arguably more effective on consoles where not having to aim precisely with your weapon is a boon) but knowing when to get in and when to get out and who to hit is a learning curve.

I agree with this.

B has more entry points and an opportunity for a quick strike by hopping the left gap, but the spawn point for defense is so close.

Unpopular opinion: I really like Hanamura.

Another: I really don't like KOTH maps anymore.
They're all I ever get. Give me a 2-cap or a payload any day. King's Row is the best map in the game.

I also like Hanamura. Better than Volskaya, certainly and maybe better than Anubis also.

Whenever I read this thread, I feel super discouraged because I'm not very good and occasionally do "noob mistakes" that cause people to go super mad in here (such as trying to go through the gate in Hanamura A as Reinhardt).

Part of that is because I'm not super familiar with all the maps yet (I have gotten Nepal like 2 times in my 22 levels of gameplay), but reading this thread, it still feels like I should quit the game despite the fun I'm having, regardless of losses. :/

Don't feel discouraged. Like most great Blizzard games Overwatch is super easy to get in to and super difficult to master. Between learning all of the characters and all of the maps there is literally a mountain of knowledge and experience to accumulate. Just keep playing, having fun and doing the best you can with what you know. The experience and knowledge to get better will come as you keep trying to improve.

To me, this is one of the wonderful things about Overwatch. Anyone can pick it up and play it and enjoy it but it really does take time and effort to become skilled at one character, much less a number of characters. And then knowing which characters work best for each map and each section of map? That's a whole other layer and another step towards mastery. Keep it up!

Rad-

It's pretty bad. Single shot headshots are now better in pretty much every situation. Fth is still good for shooting shields though.

Well, I started at 52 went all the way to 66. Now, I’m on a downward spiral at 59. However, I don’t believe 66 was my peak. Yes, I started losing fair and square. However, a lot of my losses started to come from leavers and also Sudden Death. Like I have no problem losing games, hey you win some you lose some. However, when my rank is affect by leavers (which I have no control over) or by a shitty luck based coin flip, that’s when I started to get annoyed and just gave up on caring all together.

Ramirez

Let's do a test. My Roadhog has 5.07 deaths and it says that's the 89th percentile (top 11%). What are your Roadhog deaths and your percentile?

I'm at 9 deaths and it's top 48th percentile, so yea, higher is better.

I average 4 more deaths in competitive compared to my QP RH, which is at 5, which is still only 66th percentile on PS4, lol. I feel like most of these stats are probably useless, because someone could probably play a character twice, not die, and be at the top. No clue what kind of minimum average they enforce, none I would assume.

Yeah pretty much.

Ugh wanna talk about levels? I calibrated at 47 (which sucked because it was before I updated my gpu and the game crashed on 40% of placement matches). Then I kept crashing so fell to low 40's, then I had one just really bad night that I spent getting stuck in bad teams (and sure, I played badly I guess too, but def got gold after gold after gold) and instead of walking away, I played until I got a win. That was at 32, lol. Took me two weeks but I finally fucking clawed my way back to 40. The 30's are a shit show, There's seriously nothing you can do to affect the outcome unless you're playing a spectacularly bad team. It's the luck of the draw w the team you get and if they communicate or not.

Actually you know what? My foray into the 30's did teach me the skill of buttering up your teammates with complements and niceties in order to try to win over the dumbasses who think three reapers (at the time when that was possible) was a good idea for defense in comp. People are so fucking fragile that if you merely suggest their strategy isn't working when it clearly isn't, they become a nightmare. But if you're friendly they're much more (okay maybe like a liiiiitle bit more) likely to respond kindly.

Really wish there were other metrics factoring into skill level other than win/loss.

I'm really glad that all my shitty matches were apparently during my placement. I went 4-6 for placement and got placed at 46. Did a string of good solo matches and made my way up to 52, then played a bunch with GAF and stabilized around 54-55. When I play solo now in comp, the teams seem to be competent and if we lose it's a close game and not because of shoddy tactics. Currently I'm at 59, I'll be surprised if my luck holds to reach 60 and beyond.

On the other hand, I have a friend who doesn't like competitive but wants to finish her placement matches, so I group with her so I can help her with that. And that invariably ends up being me + 5 placements vs 6 placements, and most of the placements are level 25-30, and wow what a shitshow those matches are. Last match the defending enemy team tried to cheese Anubis point A by doing Reinhardt + 2 Bastions + 2 Torbs + Symmetra, and wow, I had to completely recalibrate my thinking because it had been so long since I'd encounter that type of strategy. As soon as I switched to D.Va and flew over their death tunnel at the choke point, the entire defense crumbled. Of course, until I did that my team (excluding my friend) would just rush into the choke point and die.

I can't imagine what the lower levels of comp look like. It's scary.

Vestal

note to Blizzard on future new heroes.

2 week Moratorium on using New Heroes in competitive.

I lost 2 fucking ranks last night because some idiot kept picking Ana and had no fucking clue how to use her, or would pick Ana as a solo healer.

SERIOUSLY WTF

peakish

I lost 2 fucking ranks last night because some idiot kept picking Ana and had no fucking clue how to use her, or would pick Ana as a solo healer.

SERIOUSLY WTF
Why not go second healer?

Grisby

58 is my highest so far for comp. Just kind of balancing between 56 and 57 at the moment. Like everyone else has said sometimes the ratio of points for win/lose don't seem to make that much sense sometimes.

Not like I'm trying to get a golden gun or anything, but who knows what could be offered in the future!

LiK

SERIOUSLY WTF

Are people really using a new hero in ranked already? Guess they don't care about losing.

Vestal

Because I was either the tank, or the only flanker. or when I did do second heal that Ana was absolutely useless, she actually ultied a genji instead of a Rein we had right there.

Defuser

Seriously who are these people who pick new heroes to test in comp? Why comp? I bet those new Ana players are ex hanzo players.

matmanx1

I haven't played Roadhog but my most played character is Lucio and I have 6.1 deaths which is in the 52th percentile (top 48%). That means my Lucio, in terms of deaths per game, is slightly lower than average.

SERIOUSLY WTF
You're playing ranked on the day a new content/balance patch hits at your own risk.

SERIOUSLY WTF

I mainly play Support and I don't trust anybody that plays Ana atm and usually pick a Support character so that we have a dedicated healer.

Gator86

Whenever I read this thread, I feel super discouraged because I'm not very good and occasionally do "noob mistakes" that cause people to go super mad in here (such as trying to go through the gate in Hanamura A as Reinhardt).

Part of that is because I'm not super familiar with all the maps yet (I have gotten Nepal like 2 times in my 22 levels of gameplay), but reading this thread, it still feels like I should quit the game despite the fun I'm having, regardless of losses. :/

Are you trying to help the team? Congrats, you're a fantastic Overwatch player and better than 90%of the playerbase here. Everyone makes mistakes or has days where their aim is off. The key is being useful by playing the right role to help your team, switching when necessary, playing the objective, being willing to die repeatedly, etc. My biggest issue with people is when they just refuse to do the basic common sense stuff. Like if you're playing a map you've never played, just pick someone like Lucio and follow your teammates. You'll be a huge help with your healing and learn the most trafficked areas.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I average 4 more deaths in competitive compared to my QP RH, which is at 5, which is still only 66th percentile on PS4, lol. I feel like most of these stats are probably useless, because someone could probably play a character twice, not die, and be at the top. No clue what kind of minimum average they enforce, none I would assume.

Looks like none looking at some of mine.

https://www.overbuff.com/players/psn/Fatal_X_Fate/heroes/zarya?mode=competitive

Top 1% in 8 Zarya categories...because I played her twice, lol.

Borden

Neo Member
Just got this message:

"VOICE CHAT IS UNAVAILABLE [20900]
You have been removed from voice chat. If this problem persists, please check your audio device and your network settings."

I have yet to use any audio devices. I'm not that concerned about it but I was wondering if I'm going to get kicked from hearing other players. *PS4

abundant

Normally I'm not a fan of Overbufff because it reminds me that I'm not that great, but today's a different story.

After comparing my Mercy and Lucio stats with the #1 ranked Lucio and Mercy player on PS4, I found out that the only real difference between our stats is that he gets more eliminations than me. Stuff like Assists, Deaths, Heals, Resurrections, and Sound Barriers, I'm either really close to him or I surpass him.

Rixxan

I just started using McCree again and I find myself only using hammer if the enemy has a sliver of health left

Left click doing a lot of work especially if you can headshot

Like I went entire games last night without using hammer once, and I was double and triple golding in rank 68-70 games

I also like Hanamura. Better than Volskaya, certainly and maybe better than Anubis also.

I think Volskaya is my favorite capture map because of the extra flanking option of flying around the left side for point A on attack. It adds more options and also spices up defense because you have to watch your back depending on whether the team you're playing against knows about it. It feels a lot less claustrophobic than both Anubis and Hanamura feel to me.

peakish

Because I was either the tank, or the only flanker. or when I did do second heal that Ana was absolutely useless, she actually ultied a genji instead of a Rein we had right there.
If the rest of the team didn't help with the role Ana wasn't the only problem in those games. Not to excuse bad picks, I don't like it when players do that, but that's been a problem even when she wasn't in the game. It's unfortunate.

I played with some good Anas yesterday so can't say I feel like she's a particular burden right now.

Bydobob

SERIOUSLY WTF

Yep. Lost 6 on the bounce, each time with Ana being the only support. Coincidence I think not. Other thing is I don't remember a single time an opposing Ana player put me to sleep. People just aren't attuned to her abilities yet.

Oh. Okay then. I...guess I'm not dying as much as I thought the stats were telling me. So I feel a little bit better then.

Are you trying to help the team? Congrats, you're a fantastic Overwatch player and better than 90%of the playerbase here. Everyone makes mistakes or has days where their aim is off. The key is being useful by playing the right role to help your team, switching when necessary, playing the objective, being willing to die repeatedly, etc. My biggest issue with people is when they just refuse to do the basic common sense stuff. Like if you're playing a map you've never played, just pick someone like Lucio and follow your teammates. You'll be a huge help with your healing and learn the most trafficked areas.

I almost exclusively play tanks and supports and I often get medals, usually gold or silver for the objective medals. I've held control points on my own against several people until my team was back from their deaths or close to returning. Sometimes my Quake 3 instincts kick back in I suppose lol.
I even swap to Offense characters if we're lacking on that front (which is rare unless my team is like 3 Hanzos <.<), even though I'm not too great with them.

I try my best, but obviously I'm not particularly good. I just look at this thread sometimes and people seem to be so full of anger and toxicity. It's one of the reasons I'm not adding any other GAFfers either. I'd feel like I'd be the target of that anger if I ever were to play with GAF players.

NimbusD

I'm really glad that all my shitty matches were apparently during my placement. I went 4-6 for placement and got placed at 46. Did a string of good solo matches and made my way up to 52, then played a bunch with GAF and stabilized around 54-55. When I play solo now in comp, the teams seem to be competent and if we lose it's a close game and not because of shoddy tactics. Currently I'm at 59, I'll be surprised if my luck holds to reach 60 and beyond.

On the other hand, I have a friend who doesn't like competitive but wants to finish her placement matches, so I group with her so I can help her with that. And that invariably ends up being me + 5 placements vs 6 placements, and most of the placements are level 25-30, and wow what a shitshow those matches are. Last match the defending enemy team tried to cheese Anubis point A by doing Reinhardt + 2 Bastions + 2 Torbs + Symmetra, and wow, I had to completely recalibrate my thinking because it had been so long since I'd encounter that type of strategy. As soon as I switched to D.Va and flew over their death tunnel at the choke point, the entire defense crumbled. Of course, until I did that my team (excluding my friend) would just rush into the choke point and die.

I can't imagine what the lower levels of comp look like. It's scary.

Yeah, this whole experience has definitely made me a believer that Blizzard's original tier system would have been better, where you wouldn't fall to lower ranks if you had a bad session. Being that low is a god damn nightmare. Thank god for seasons though (and the fact that I have enough irl friends to team up with occasionally to help bring me back up to speed).

Chance

This. This. A million times, this.

It's never about getting PotG or a card or even medals - it's about Victory. Sometimes you have to switch to a hero you hate to answer the current problem. I've gone Widow in Route 66 overtime defense and shut teams down - hate Widow, never play Widow - but it got us the V.

One I'm particularly proud of - I had never played Genji outside of the target range, but - once our team was shut right down on Volskaya attack by a Mei, a Mercy, a Tracer, something forgettable and 2 Bastions.

I could hook one as Hog, but after killing it their Mei would freeze and own me with the Tracer - this wasn't working, so it was time for a desperation move. This was the first time I ever played Genji (and practically the last):

http://youtu.be/q6grp6R5uG8

I've never said "we need a Genji" before or since, but when you need an X, it's okay to stop playing Rein or Mercy to become the key to whatever lock you face.

Valygar

I've spent 18 hours and 150 games as Zen, and I've only gotten 1 POTG as him.

Game was in overtime, us on defense, attacking team was pushing hard on the second point, just outside the base. Their Reinhardt had just charged one of our teammates and himself off the map, so that left 5 of us still defending. My 4 teammates were clustered around the payload and we hear the footsteps coming.

Enemy Mei drops her blizzard and a Soldier pops out of a building and starts firing. I was staying back with my ult ready, just in case, and lucky I did. I give the blizzard a few seconds to take effect, then I pop my ult and watch as both the enemy Mei and Soldier futilely try to outdamage my ult. Blizzard clears, my teammates are unharmed, we finish off the Mei and Soldier, overtime expires and we win.

Saved the team, and won us the game. Whole team gave me props for the save and voted me up.

Felt good!

I actually got a PoTG (maybe two?) as DPS. According to overbuff I am one of the most aggressive Zen players so it makes sense. I like to play with him with the mindset of dps, always firing but also using shift + e every time. I managed to get 9400 damage and 10300 healing in one game (I think it was defense, and we lost!).
The most difficult part is not getting killed, I still have to try him now with more life, and Ana which could be similar...
https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/Duerkos-2930/heroes/zenyatta

duckroll

Don't be discouraged. I'm a pretty terrible player too. Today on King's Row I jumped into the holes at the end of the map to my death twice as Winston. Once when I had full health and was trying to split the enemies up, and again when I was in Ult form and trying to scatter them. At least the second time I took two people with me... I think. Defuser saw it all! :p

Going through the gate in Hanamura as Reinhardt is not a noob mistake at all. In fact, it's the best option for Reinhardt 90% of the time. Having the shield up and a healer behind you will draw the enemy's attention, allowing the OTHER players who are not Reinhardt to flank from the two sides. Once your team is on the point, the enemies will turn around and stop looking at you, and that's when you either charge at them and get to the point yourself, or run up and hammer them from the back while your team shoots at them from the point.

If the strategy fails, it's never the fault of one player. This is a team game.

matmanx1

I think Volskaya is my favorite capture map because of the extra flanking option of flying around the left side for point A on attack. It adds more options and also spices up defense because you have to watch your back depending on whether the team you're playing against knows about it. It feels a lot less claustrophobic than both Anubis and Hanamura feel to me.

I agree with you there. Volskaya point A is great. It's point B I don't particularly care for and makes it fall behind Hanamura overall (for me).

I actually got a PoTG (maybe two?) as DPS. According to overbuff I am one of the most aggressive Zen players so it makes sense. I like to play with him with the mindset of dps, always firing but also using shift + e every time. I managed to get 9400 damage and 10300 healing in one game (I think it was defense, and we lost!).
The most difficult part is not getting killed, I still have to try him now with more life, and Ana which could be similar...
https://www.overbuff.com/players/pc/Duerkos-2930/heroes/zenyatta

Yeah, I should probably play more aggressively. I'm near the top in accuracy and critical hits with Zen but near the bottom in overall damage. If Overbuff is to be trusted then I am either being too passive or too cautious.

My brother hit 70 MMR last night. He said he just puts people on tilt so they play better, by saying "GG no way we can win" and then they try to prove him wrong.

I mean he's a great player too, but I find it funny that him being a hardass is having the opposite effect than when I try to be nice and positive.

Gator86

I almost exclusively play tanks and supports and I often get medals, usually gold or silver for the objective medals. I've held control points on my own against several people until my team was back from their deaths or close to returning. Sometimes my Quake 3 instincts kick back in I suppose lol.
I even swap to Offense characters if we're lacking on that front (which is rare unless my team is like 3 Hanzos <.<), even though I'm not too great with them.

I try my best, but obviously I'm not particularly good. I just look at this thread sometimes and people seem to be so full of anger and toxicity. It's one of the reasons I'm not adding any other GAFfers either. I'd feel like I'd be the target of that anger if I ever were to play with GAF players.

I'd guess most of the negative comments here are just venting. I post negative stuff here all the time but I've never raged at anyone in a game. And I would rather have a not particularly good team player than a pro Hanzo sitting a mile away, being useless.

LiK

My brother hit 70 MMR last night. He said he just puts people on tilt so they play better, by saying "GG no way we can win" and then they try to prove him wrong.

I mean he's a great player too, but I find it funny that him being a hardass is having the opposite effect than when I try to be nice and positive.

Reverse psychology. That never fails.

zonezeus

Is it me or is Ana kinda... crap? Mercy and Lucio are way better at healing, her damage seems to be inferior to post-buff Zenyatta and while her ult is nice, I'd still probably rate it at Zenyatta's level at best, with Lucio's/Mercy's still being way better. So, while definitely fun to play, she seems to be neither good healer nor DPS/heal hybrid.

NimbusD

tbh the biggest common sense thing is just communicating.

Do you see someone flanking? A reaper above about to drop down on your unsuspecting team? Do you A) go after them B) run away or C) get on chat and say "reaper is above about to drop down" regardless of what else you decide to do? If it's C, you're a good player even if you have 1 kill all game and 10 deaths.

Don't do shit like be silent the whole time, go out on your own away from your team and then at the end go "WTF MERCY YOU NEVER HEALED ME".

Actually had someone as phara do that yesterday, claiming that mercy is SUPPOSED to be on phara the whole time. And sure, that's a valid strat, but you never asked the person if they'd be down for that strat and then got mad when they didn't do it AFTER THE GAME ENDED. I don't care if you mowed down 50 people, if you do that shit, you're a bad player.

duckroll

And I would rather have a not particularly good team player than a pro Hanzo sitting a mile away, being useless.

That's not a pro Hanzo player, that's a pro Asshole player. I don't think I've ever seen a player who is really good at a character who won't switch or pay attention to what the team needs out of the character. Probably since I consider good players to be players who are good at winning, and not getting kills in a losing game. To win you need to help the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom