• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Hanamura A the most "noob-hostile" choke point in the game? Playing support is maddening sometimes there. Fucking go right and up or left and around. How do they expect to push if they can't even go past the gate?
Hanamura B

hmm... the front door is covered by sym turrets, a bastion, and a sniper...

lets try it anyway

Veelk

Banned
Your stats are actually pretty damn good. Especially your DVa and Genji.

Thanks. I try not to get too confident because I know there are people who just utterly wreck me, but I'm willing to say I'm okay with those. Seriously, people have no idea how to handle jumping characters if their small and agile. You can survive an entire teams concentrated fire for a while if you know how to move right, and that's probably the biggest reason for my Genji's win rate. But I really am best and most comfortable with D.Va. I am eagerly awaiting her buff.

Is Hanamura A the most "noob-hostile" choke point in the game? Playing support is maddening sometimes there. Fucking go right and up or left and around. How do they expect to push if they can't even go past the gate?

Wait, you're not supposed to march a Reinhart right down the middle?

Kappa

Prelude.

Hanamura B

hmm... the front door is covered by sym turrets, a bastion, and a sniper...

lets try it anyway
Hanamura B can be tough but at least people actually go in. On A they just stop before the gate and try to kill from there.

Kappa
The sad part is that this time there wasn't even a Bastion and we had a Roadhog and a D.Va on our team. Also two McCrees that kept peeking alone, getting shot, going inside the house and spamming "I need healing".

Its pretty much why i play Genji on point A for hanamura and temple of anubis 95% of the time. So i can dash past and get onto the point. Most of the time enemies fall back trying to get me while my teamates probably realise
"Holy shit someones on the point time to move up!"

Thanks. I try not to get too confident because I know there are people who just utterly wreck me, but I'm willing to say I'm okay with those. Seriously, people have no idea how to handle jumping characters if their small and agile. You can survive an entire teams concentrated fire for a while if you know how to move right, and that's probably the biggest reason for my Genji's win rate. But I really am best and most comfortable with D.Va. I am eagerly awaiting her buff.

On PS4 I've had payload matches where I switched to Lucio because the attacking team was pushing too fast, and I've managed to halt and essentially turn the tide of the match by just jumping around on the payload. The attacking team just can't hit me and it allows my team to get a good defensive line set up.

Eventually a Soldier aimbots me just to clear me off the payload, but yeah. It's crazy how people just can't get a handle on small, fast characters.

Veelk

Banned
On PS4 I've had payload matches where I switched to Lucio because the attacking team was pushing too fast, and I've managed to halt and essentially turn the tide of the match by just jumping around on the payload. The attacking team just can't hit me and it allows my team to get a good defensive line set up.

Eventually a Soldier aimbots me just to clear me off the payload, but yeah. It's crazy how people just can't get a handle on small, fast characters.

Granted, it's not like I handle them well myself. Usually, if I win, it's because I'm close range with D.Va and I win via attrition or else I manage to get a shot in with Hanzo that instakills them. Lucio can be especially annoying because his health regenerations and he can push you away if you're trying to get close.

You just need to have REALLY sharp aim, especially on console, to reliably take them down. Otherwise, yeah, you just need an ult that takes care of it somehow.

MG310

Hanamura B can be tough but at least people actually go in. On A they just stop before the gate and try to kill from there.

It's funny how apprehensive they are to go through the gate on A in games with randoms...even when I'm there alone as Zarya occasionally poking out with the bubble up to harass them.

LiK

a lot of players don't use the top left window. you can use DVa, Genji, Hanzo and/or any other mobile guys to go through that spot and get to left side. and the rest can def go to the right room and up the stairs. i dunno why people think the big open door is the only way.

exYle

That's pretty much what I did with Mercy and Torb, to get their alts more easily ready.

Speaking of mapping controllers, can someone help me out with my Genji config?

I need jump on L2, so I have it there.

Dash stayed on L1 where it was before.

I moved the cone shuriken arch to R1.

But now I have the problem of figuring out where to put Reflect. I tried circle, but I feel I need to keep my thumb on the right stick or else there is a delay when I can't let there be. I've tried to put it on the R3, but then I have no melee and I need it. It's currently at the L3, but it's it's awkward. On both thumbsticks, I often accidentally activated by pressing too hard, and after several play sessions, I've still haven't gotten used to L3 being my reflect button. I can remember it if I'm actively thinking about it, but I can't do that in the middle of battle where it needs to be a reflex.

The only two buttons I've switched are jump and the dash. (jump on L1, dash on X)

Obviously, you need Genji's jump to be on a shoulder. That's half of his effectiveness there.

Dash requires less aiming than reflect, or really, any of Genji's abilities. You travel in a thick, straight, line. Once you know where you want to go, you rarely need a micro-adjustment in your aim. So put reflect back on R1 and the fan shuriken on L1 (if you really want to keep jump on L2). Or take dash off of L1 and put reflect there. Just get dash off of your shoulder.

Kysen

80hrs in and finally tried out zen, damn that debuff is OP. Any time its up the target melts. Unrelated but Ana in comp solo queue is garbage. Poor healing and low damage, every time one was on my team we lost.

So I realized something while looking at Overbuff. Almost every single one of my characters is in the upper quartile of terms of average deaths per game. So even though I have a 53% win rate, which is reasonable, I'm dying far, far too often when I play this game.

My new focus: survive more.

Denali

So I realized something while looking at Overbuff. Almost every single one of my characters is in the upper quartile of terms of average deaths per game. So even though I have a 53% win rate, which is reasonable, I'm dying far, far too often when I play this game.

I just looked at that too. I'm pretty sure being in the higher quartile for deaths means you're dying less. Hover over the lower quartiles are you'll see the number is higher. Maybe I read it wrong.

I just looked at that too. I'm pretty sure being in the higher quartile for deaths means you're dying less. Hover over the lower quartiles are you'll see the number is higher. Maybe I read it wrong.

yeah. if you check the right side it's more death, left it's less so the higher the better because less death. i think everything higher is better

duckroll

My experience is Hanamura B is way harder than Hanamura A. Not only does it have a similar chokepoint set up, but it's easier for a good team to defend the sides forcing you to take the main path or die trying. Even when you manage to push through and get on the point, their spawn point is just behind, so if they have characters able to contest for 10 seconds, you're back to square one. Hanamura A is like Baby's Flanking Test. Hanamura B is a real Flanking Test. If your team can't flank well, you have no chance against a decent team.

KarmaCow

Does DVa's defense matrix block all the ults that Rhiny's shield does?

It's better in some ways since it eats all projectiles (Zarya's blackhole, Mei's freezebot, Hanzo's arrow, etc) but doesn't block things like Rein's earth shatter in the same way Zarya/Rein's barriers do.

My experience is Hanamura B is way harder than Hanamura A. Not only does it have a similar chokepoint set up, but it's easier for a good team to defend the sides forcing you to take the main path or die trying. Even when you manage to push through and get on the point, their spawn point is just behind, so if they have characters able to contest for 10 seconds, you're back to square one. Hanamura A is like Baby's Flanking Test. Hanamura B is a real Flanking Test. If your team can't flank well, you have no chance against a decent team.

I agree with this.

B has more entry points and an opportunity for a quick strike by hopping the left gap, but the spawn point for defense is so close.

Unpopular opinion: I really like Hanamura.

Another: I really don't like KOTH maps anymore.
They're all I ever get. Give me a 2-cap or a payload any day. King's Row is the best map in the game.

Ralemont

not me
As someone who just got this last weekend, possibly my favorite thing in the game is trolling people who don't switch off attackers to help the team by playing Zarya and doubling their kill count anyway.

Svartnatt

How does one go about getting PotG w/ Zen?

I've spent 18 hours and 150 games as Zen, and I've only gotten 1 POTG as him.

Game was in overtime, us on defense, attacking team was pushing hard on the second point, just outside the base. Their Reinhardt had just charged one of our teammates and himself off the map, so that left 5 of us still defending. My 4 teammates were clustered around the payload and we hear the footsteps coming.

Enemy Mei drops her blizzard and a Soldier pops out of a building and starts firing. I was staying back with my ult ready, just in case, and lucky I did. I give the blizzard a few seconds to take effect, then I pop my ult and watch as both the enemy Mei and Soldier futilely try to outdamage my ult. Blizzard clears, my teammates are unharmed, we finish off the Mei and Soldier, overtime expires and we win.

Saved the team, and won us the game. Whole team gave me props for the save and voted me up.

Felt good!

NimbusD

so very frustrating. They should make a character who's power is to freeze their teammates in place until the ones further behind catch up so people stop running in one by one.

Kappa

You get reins that actually don't just stand in the choke and not move until their shields go down, then back off, then repeat in perpetuity? Wow, must be a higher level than me.

80hrs in and finally tried out zen, damn that debuff is OP. Any time its up the target melts. Unrelated but Ana in comp solo queue is garbage. Poor healing and low damage, every time one was on my team we lost.

I feel like she could be crucial to negate good healers on the other team. I just feel like people haven't figure out how to play her yet.

Tho I do have a feeling she'll be buffed eventually.

Yeah it's like a next level skill to realize you don't have to chase and try to kill that person, instead run and find health and live another day to help teammates out. Realizing you don't actually have to kill and instead just damage and force enemies to fall back is a great thing to realize.

Prelude.

Man, playing Ana is exhilarating. She'll never be in the spotlight with PotGs and such, but you know you just made your team win. Her crowd control is amazing.

Whenever I read this thread, I feel super discouraged because I'm not very good and occasionally do "noob mistakes" that cause people to go super mad in here (such as trying to go through the gate in Hanamura A as Reinhardt).

Part of that is because I'm not super familiar with all the maps yet (I have gotten Nepal like 2 times in my 22 levels of gameplay), but reading this thread, it still feels like I should quit the game despite the fun I'm having, regardless of losses. :/

abundant

I really don't like KOTH maps anymore.
They're all I ever get. Give me a 2-cap or a payload any day. King's Row is the best map in the game.

Same here. I was a fan of them, until they kept showing up way too much. Plus you only run into the cheese strategy of double Reapers on KotH, which is never fun to play against.

Palmer_v1

Same here. I was a fan of them, until they kept showing up way too much. Plus you only run into the cheese strategy of double Reapers on KotH, which is never fun to play against.

How is double reapers a cheese strategy? Seems like fair punishment to a team stacking 3+ tanks, which I see pretty often.

LiK

B is also right where the defenders spawn so it's like fighting an endless wave unless you happen to kill most of them in a push.

Whenever I read this thread, I feel super discouraged because I'm not very good and occasionally do "noob mistakes" that cause people to go super mad in here (such as trying to go through the gate in Hanamura A as Reinhardt).

Part of that is because I'm not super familiar with all the maps yet (I have gotten Nepal like 2 times in my 22 levels of gameplay), but reading this thread, it still feels like I should quit the game despite the fun I'm having, regardless of losses. :/

You're new. There are people that have played 500+ matches still doing wacky stuff that they should have figured out forever ago. Also there's nothing really wrong with doing that if you have some flankers to scatter the enemies on Hanamura A. When that happens the rest of the team can swoop in.

pigeon

Banned
Doesn't block Zarya's beam, tho...

Edit: or does it with the new patch?

It doesn't, but it blocks Zarya's mortars and ult.

I think Zarya is maybe a little advantaged against D.Va with the beam, but being able to neutralize the mortar takes away the part where Zarya beats you at every range, and you have vastly more mobility than Zarya does. You're not going to kill Zarya 1v1 but you shouldn't really have to most of the time.

Prelude.

You can go through the gate as Reinhardt, but you should make 1-2 people go through the right entrance (you can go left too but if there's a bastion it can be a little difficult) and then go with them, don't stand on the gate forever. The main issue is that people are afraid to die and don't go in, when it's so easy to just put up any kind of shield (Rein/D.Va/Zarya) and sneak in.

Part of that is because I'm not super familiar with all the maps yet (I have gotten Nepal like 2 times in my 22 levels of gameplay), but reading thsi thread, it still feels like I should quit the game despite the fun I'm having, regardless of losses. :/
If you want to get familiar with some maps start a custom game and put yourself as a spectator. If you do that you can go into the map with a free camera and look around everything.

abundant

How is double reapers a cheese strategy? Seems like fair punishment to a team stacking 3+ tanks, which I see pretty often.

It is a cheese strategy on KotH, which forces you to fight in close quarters. On other maps, it's not a problem unless you are Tank heavy.

matmanx1

I recommend learning your flankers right now because almost none of the Anas heal anyone that's behind them or to the side of them

You'll learn those medkit locations real fast

From someone who plays mostly support, most flankers do not put themselves in good position to be healed. If you want my healing either stay near me long enough to be healed (Lucio) or don't put obstacles and barriers between me and you (Ana or Mercy) because neither heal without LoS.

I am completely fine with a notification (I need healing!) I will always do my best to get you healed but the flanker has to take some responsibility here as well.

Gator86

It's funny how apprehensive they are to go through the gate on A in games with randoms...even when I'm there alone as Zarya occasionally poking out with the bubble up to harass them.

People are fucking terrified of being shot in this game. Getting randoms to push through that gate is one of the greatest feats in gaming.

pigeon

Banned

You should go through the gate as Reinhardt. You literally have to!

What you should definitely not do is stand IN the gate with your shield up and try to skirmish there. This is really common and it's a terrible, terrible place to try to have a fight.

If you're playing Reinhardt, you should either a) go through the door on the right immediately and take the room and secure that building to stage an assault across the courtyard, or b) go left immediately and cover a move behind the building there, or c) YOLO charge across the courtyard and try to hit the bell so you don't fall off the stage, then turn around and whack people as they run towards you.

Obviously WHICH you want to do depends on your circumstances.

People are fucking terrified of being shot in this game. Getting randoms to push through that gate is one of the greatest feats in gaming.

This is true as hell. Fear gets the play of the game almost every match.

You're new. There are people that have played 500+ matches still doing wacky stuff that they should have figured out forever ago. Also there's nothing really wrong with doing that if you have some flankers to scatter the enemies on Hanamura A. When that happens the rest of the team can swoop in.

To add insult to injury, I used to be a Quake 3 semi-pro player and was really good with skillshot weapons like the Railgun back in the day, and now I have shit accuracy. The feeling when you know you got older lol. u_u

If you want to get familiar with some maps start a custom game and put yourself as a spectator. If you do that you can go into the map with a free camera and look around everything.

There's a difference looking at empty maps in custom matches and actually playing on them.

You get reins that actually don't just stand in the choke and not move until their shields go down, then back off, then repeat in perpetuity? Wow, must be a higher level than me.

I calibrated at 50, peaked at 54. Now at 44.

I usually play Rein on Hanamura because I've seen this happen too many times. You hold shield there long enough to see where to go / build meter, then you just march to one side or the other based on what is there. Once you're past that door, it's not nearly as hard.

People just freak out because there's a turret there most of the time. But with Rein you can just walk past it really.

Prelude.

There's a difference looking at empty maps in custom matches and actually playing on them.
But he doesn't know them. If you do that you can take your time and explore the map, you can't (shouldn't) do that while playing.

You don't know how many people ignore the existence of the left route that goes around Numbani A or that on Anubis A if you follow the stairs on the right up until the balcony you can jump on the point from above.

Defuser

Is McCree's FTH damage really that bad of a nerf aka useless? I always take 1 or 2 shots at the enemy to lower health before doing the stun FTH combo, if still alive I will roll and finish the enemy off. Is it that really big of a deal just because his FTH couldn't finish off a 200-250hp character without lowering health first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom