• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.Va

Neo Member
You usually only get a tenth when there is a leaver on the other team, otherwise you'll get some xp for gaining but it depends partially on your individual performance, skill rating gap between the teams, it seems like your rating compared to your teammates, and a host of other hidden factors.

Also you might just be falling back down to your actual skill rating which is a huge problem if placements can accidentally place you too high because instead of getting better you end up just getting shit on for huge losing streaks until you reach the area you're supposed to be.

Hmm I guess it makes sense. I did placement ranking with my friends and then I made the huge mistake of solo queuing the rest of the games. Dumb on my part.

I went from 57 to 47. I've since retired the game. It's not enjoyable losing every 2/3 games I play. The final straw was getting disconnected, coming back and helping my team win but then losing a rank and taking a loss. In what world does this make sense?

Man, that sucks. Don't they give you a minute to get back into the game in the case you disconnect? I'm actually kinda scared to go back into ranked lol. I might just consider sitting out the rest of this season (or at least getting back up to at least 55 ;;) and just playing quick matches.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised but there are some salty, petty people that will ragequit at the end of a match just so that the winning team doesn't get the proper MMR up. It seems to be even more prevalent as I rank up too.

The last game I played tonight had this happen on Hanamura. We were on attack first and after a tough fight for the first point were able to quickly secure point b. Switch to defense and we stuff the enemy team at the gate. With about one minute left it suddenly got extremely quiet. I pressed the touchpad to see that 5 of the opposing players had quit. So in the end we get a tiny little boost for our hard won victory. Why the winning team is penalized in this type of situation is beyond stupid.

eek5

Hmm I guess it makes sense. I did placement ranking with my friends and then I made the huge mistake of solo queuing the rest of the games. Dumb on my part.
Yeah if you work well with your friends then your skill ranking could be partially inflated which sucks when switching to solo queue. At least you can group up with them and lower your group skill ranking and get easy matches lol

Man, that sucks. Don't they give you a minute to get back into the game in the case you disconnect? I'm actually kinda scared to go back into ranked lol. I might just consider sitting out the rest of this season (or at least getting back up to at least 55 ;;) and just playing quick matches.

Yeah you have a minute to rejoin although there is another bug where you get dropped to BNET login screen in the middle of a match. That happened to me and there is no rejoin option when you log back in.

There is also a bug where when you rejoin you get hit with a loss regardless of whether your team ends up winning or losing so there is very little incentive in rejoining at the moment but it's being fixed in an upcoming patch.

Just had a match where we'd have won if it weren't for one player playing Symmetra who placed their teleporter on the edge of the map and then switched to Mei in round 3 to trap us in spawn. Glad the report function exists.

Anyone want to play in like 10 min? I don't really feel like solo right now, but my playgroup is out already. Had a bad run and most of them found themselves salted.

Rokam

The Mine Sweeper achievement is some bullshit. I'm not even sure I could do that with dying.

Also Winston has taken over as my favorite tank, I think they did a stellar job on all the tanks. Each of them is damn fun to play.

caesar

Banned
There are so many bad "insertanycharacterhere" players that doesn't bother me as much as people just not listening or moving into objectives as a team etc.

not everyone can be sick mlg pro.
Im talking about the guys who main him and think they're amazing when they get Q of the game.

caesar

Banned
Im honestly surprised Soldier isn't more popular due to the whole assault rifle thing. He's insanely good right now too.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Look, I'm not saying that I've met hanzos anywhere near the level of seagull, but hanzos who play like that instead of trying to be a sniper are fucking deadly. Deadlier than the sniper wannabes anyway.

duckroll

Look, I'm not saying that I've met hanzos anywhere near the level of seagull, but hanzos who play like that instead of trying to be a sniper are fucking deadly. Deadlier than the sniper wannabes anyway.

Yeah but that's not saying much. Even an average Mei is deadlier than a sniper wannabe Hanzo. :p

So I put the game on low so I could get a constant 144 fps and that game doesn’t look that much different. When I had it on ultra, it was generally +90 fps, but not a steady rate. Most games on low look significantly different compared to max settings, but here I’m not noticing it as much.

R0ckman

Good hanzos don't even play him as a sniper. They use his mobility to get around the sides constantly. Most of the time they're in the mid range.

I've met hanzos that aren't as good as this but played similarly, and they are no fucking joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc1gGohWAEE

I had a match once where me team just wasn't getting it together in defend the payload so as Hanzo I think I went up with a Mercy and stopped the payload at the last 30 seconds killing them myself. I think I recorded that one, need to friend that Mercy actually.

eek5

So I put the game on low so I could get a constant 144 fps and that game doesn’t look that much different. When I had it on ultra, it was generally +90 fps, but not a steady rate. Most games on low look significantly different compared to max settings, but here I’m not noticing it as much.

They did a great job making this game look good even on low settings

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
21,000 healing as Mercy AND 23 eliminations.

What the fuck was the rest of the team doing?!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Had a Lucio the other day shit talking the team because he had a bunch of eliminations, not realizing that he was complimenting us on all the eliminations we gave him.

Animator

Hanzo is an amazing character if you know how to flank the enemy and stay in mid range. Scatter arrow one shots all squishies and your ult fills up super fast. Problem is only %0.00001 of the playerbase play Hanzo the way he is meant to be played. Usually you get the sniper lite people who can't aim worth shit with Widow so they pick hanzo and plink arrows towards the enemy from all the way back.

Nothing makes me more mad than seeing a Hanzo shoot arrow after arrow towards a Reinhard shield.

Cerity

Soldier is that one character I play when I want/need to get shit done.

Don't know what it is today but the last 10 games or so I've had some plain terrible team members. Most toxic I've seen in the game yet.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Those were not solo eliminations, I'm sure.

No, they weren't. But I'm certain 7 or 8 of them were.

I agree; it's not amazing. But there are times where I just feel so alone.

Huh, someone left the match on the other team near the beginning and it said cancelling match in 30 sec...... And then it did.

Didn't know that was a thing, neat.

This game. THIS fucking game. I just joined a relaxing, salt-free quick play session. I kick ass in the first round with Roadhog/Reinhardt (and got rekt a couple of times by Roadhog hook glitch). The second round, a motherfucking Bastion is on a Dorado balcony; not on it, but behind it. He avoided collision detection and whatsoever, and no one can shoot him. He can see us from his angle, but we can't touch him at all. So I avoid him, flank their team with Pharah and deliver the payload near the checkpoint SOLO because I was the only one who went to the right route. Surprise! Bastion can move there and fucks me up and the whole team when we decided to flank from the other side. I can only think of stacking reapers or Zaryas, but he has a full team to back him up. Anyways, we all quit and report him.

Don't fuck with tanks:
83C03CD313A513926EA4132A0E42EDE961BB4147

First angle before we started communicating and flanking from the other side:

Surprise bitches:

His cam:

Looks like we might get nightly GAF v GAFs in competitive if we keep having two crews running concurrently. Numbani is not my map. I have't settled into a role or strategy there on offense.

Speaking of Numbani, I feel like those capture+payload maps are the hardest nut for me to crack. I really wish we could see a breakdown of our w/l by map or gametype. I feel like KOTH is my jam, but capture not so much.

Looks like we might get nightly GAF v GAFs in competitive if we keep having two crews running concurrently. Numbani is not my map. I have't settled into a role or strategy there on offense.

Speaking of Numbani, I feel like those capture+payload maps are the hardest nut for me to crack. I really wish we could see a breakdown of our w/l by map or gametype. I feel like KOTH is my jam, but capture not so much.

You mean Hybrid maps? they are okay statistically. The maps that favor the defending team and are banned in tournaments are the assault maps/Bermuda triangle (Volskaya, Hanamura and Temple of Anus). They have a 48%-52% winrate favoring the defending team (note that this is a huge sample that covers all matches held I think).

ramyeon

i dont think mercy should be getting so many kills regardless.
Depends how aggressive you play her - and I also don't think you should be playing her aggressively enough to rack up that many personally. Means you've got your gun out instead of healing or buffing your team.

Just saying it says little about how the rest of your team is performing.

xaosslug

instead of buffing D.Va's attack or defense they should just allow her robot to shoot while flying + shields are up, that would up her deadly factor a lot, imo.

48%-52% doesn't really seem like that big of a discrepancy?

For a large sample as playerbase? It kinda is if you calculate the number, and for pros, it is much higher if I remember correctly. The other maps have better ratios I think. But those maps do favor the defending team and actually have some nasty setups that involve stacking heroes.

ISOM

but 'good hanzos' just play Widow instead

Nope. I play Hanzo because Widow is just a regular FPS sniper and I've played that numerous times in other FPS games. Hanzo is fun because the skill needed to actually hit people with arrows that aren't spam shots. Seagull plays Hanzo a lot too.

Edit: I don't really play Hanzo much in ranked though because I don't think I'm good enough to not be a detriment to my team. Will continually try to get better at him though and try him on some maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom