• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. I play Hanzo because Widow is just a regular FPS sniper and I've played that numerous times in other FPS games. Hanzo is fun because the skill needed to actually hit people with arrows that aren't spam shots. Seagull plays Hanzo a lot too.

Edit: I don't really play Hanzo much in ranked though because I don't think I'm good enough to not be a detriment to my team. Will continually try to get better at him though and try him on some maps.

http://giant.gfycat.com/RawSaneDegus.webm

I thought for the pro scene it's generally the attacking side that has the advantage for 2cp?

I don't know honestly, but I'd assume pros are very good at holding positions and choke points, and a close spawn-point with a choke point will systematically favor defenders assuming the same level of skill. It isn't an auto-win, but something like 6-4 or 7-3 matchup. I can't give you a definite answer myself because I don't follow the pro scene that much, but I know for a fact that these maps were banned for some reason.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
BTW, looking at my stats and the pattern I see rising is that I'm at some really low tier for overall elims (like 20th percentile or something) but super high for obj elims (90+ percentile usually).

Am I hurting my team by not trying to eliminate the enemy outside the objective? Because I usually stick close to it

Nimby

Banned
I've dropped from 47 to 44 in about 6 hours of play. With the way ranking works, I'm losing more than I'm gaining. Last I checked I had a 56% W/L ratio, but that's probably went down since today. I can't see it being below 50%.

BTW, looking at my stats and the pattern I see rising is that I'm at some really low tier for overall elims (like 20th percentile or something) but super high for obj elims (90+ percentile usually).

Am I hurting my team by not trying to eliminate the enemy outside the objective? Because I usually stick close to it

Yeah I had to think about that and change my play style after watching some pros flank and try to clear the area. It is sometimes better to try to weaken their team and potential dangers around the objective, and then attack together. Sometimes it doesn't help when you have bad players who rush in solo and scatter around without getting kills; that is indication to stick to your team or switch, because the other team is either much better than you or coordinated much better.

It also depends on your hero/character and the other team comp. I used to jump in with Winston and place the shield, but being sneaky and picking who you will flank and retreat is better (while staying close to health packs and teammates). I am still working balancing kills and attacking the objective.

I've dropped from 47 to 44 in about 6 hours of play. With the way ranking works, I'm losing more than I'm gaining. Last I checked I had a 56% W/L ratio, but that's probably went down since today. I can't see it being below 50%.

I have a 66% winrate after placement in hellhole ranked. I leveled up like 1.5 (two levels above my initial ranking). I had like five or six people quit and give me barely any xp. I hope this gets fixed soon or get redesigned.

Aselith

Can they put a snowflake on people that people can see across the map when I freeze them on Mei or something? I don't think I ever had a teammate help me kill a frozen enemy.

Antiwhippy

Yeah I had to think about that and change my play style after watching some pros flank and try to clear the area. It is sometimes better to try to weaken their team and potential dangers around the objective, and then attack together. Sometimes it doesn't help when you have bad players who rush in solo and scatter around without getting kills; that is indication to stick to your team or switch, because the other team is either much better than you or coordinated much better.

It also depends on your hero/character and the other team comp. I used to jump in with Winston and place the shield, but being sneaky and picking who you will flank and retreat is better (while staying close to health packs and teammates). I am still working balancing kills and attacking the objective.

Yeah I think sometimes I get too paranoid just from hours of meeting people who keeps overextending their offense. :p

Definitely something for me to improve on.

Moonkid

Experienced Mei-fuckery first hand today on KOTH. So annoying to fight against if they know what they're doing..

Nimby

Banned
I have a 66% winrate after placement in hellhole ranked. I leveled up like 1.5 (two levels above my initial ranking). I had like five or six people quit and give me barely any xp. I hope this gets fixed soon or get redesigned.

I was grouped with 5 people the other day, and every match we won resulted in someone leaving. The entire team left in one match, but instead of rewarding us for playing well, we are being told by the game that is wasn't a fair fight. The whole team was there when we took the first objective, we got a team kill and they started dropping like flies. How is that not a fair fight?

Every match we lost was some of the closest shit I've experienced. And today, it felt like I was playing quick play. In case you were wondering, randos are still getting Hanzo and Reinhardt confused.

Yeah, I hope it's fixed pretty quickly.

http://giant.gfycat.com/RawSaneDegus.webm

I don't know honestly, but I'd assume pros are very good at holding positions and choke points, and a close spawn-point with a choke point will systematically favor defenders assuming the same level of skill. It isn't an auto-win, but something like 6-4 or 7-3 matchup. I can't give you a definite answer myself because I don't follow the pro scene that much, but I know for a fact that these maps were banned for some reason.

They are good at holding, but the defending team has to win every single push while the attacking team only has to win twice. Thus, attackers eventually win very often, or at least more often than defense does.

Pretty decent night again went 5-4 and moved up to 56. I’d like to get to 60 this season, but I just want the wins more than anything. Probably get S76 golden gun first.

Blizzard

Banned
I see other people are reporting the same thing. Unless Blizzard starts heavily punishing leavers, I suspect some people will just disconnect near the end of a ranked match to make sure the winners gain only 5% of a level.

I got my first ever double legendary drop at level 88: 500 coins and Mariachi Reaper.

If someone leaves in the last minute there shouldn't be a winning penalty to the opposite team, or if you manage to win a 5v6. I had every scenario of leaving last night (including one which must have been in the last 10 seconds) and went up .5 for going 4-1, fml

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Group of 3 all pick Bastion on King of the Hill, first round obviously goes to 99 to the opposing team, the group quits which ends the match and sends everyone to the main menu again.

Thanks for the waste of time, guys.

BigDug13

I started finally playing the PC version of the game (double dip) and noticed that the end stats that show how you did in the match now only shows how I did with the very first hero I picked and didn't track any stats or award any medals based on performance of my other hero picks. This wasn't competitive, just quickplay. Is that a new thing?

Repo Man

Group of 3 all pick Bastion on King of the Hill, first round obviously goes to 99 to the opposing team, the group quits which ends the match and sends everyone to the main menu again.

Thanks for the waste of time, guys.

What a load of shit, I feel for you. I had someone from the enemy team leave last night on the last minute when we were about to win Lijiang Tower after the game had gone 2-2, luckily for me it didnt seem to hurt my rating gain as I got a fair bit from that game.

I really feel like the game is in a strange place atm, I've never had this experience before where I really want to play the game I enjoy playing but at the same time I don't even wanna launch it. With all the quitters and other issues in competitive I feel like its not worth the potential time wasted but after the competitive mode launched, all the quick play games I've done on the EU servers have been a bit of a mixed bag ( a bit more so than in the past ) where it feels like a sub-optimal experience as people appear to be practicing heroes they wish to get good with in competitive. I don't blame anyone for wanting to get better, I've done some of it myself where I just stick to 1 character and practice but it doesn't lead to very good games and often I feel guilty for potentially gimping my team.

eek5

I started finally playing the PC version of the game (double dip) and noticed that the end stats that show how you did in the match now only shows how I did with the very first hero I picked and didn't track any stats or award any medals based on performance of my other hero picks. This wasn't competitive, just quickplay. Is that a new thing?

It should cycle automatically if you touch nothing but there is an arrow on the sides as well that you can click.

There is also a bug going on right now on some servers, usually on KOTH maps where stats stop tracking after one of the rounds which might have happened to you.

BigDug13

It should cycle automatically if you touch nothing but there is an arrow on the sides as well that you can click.

There is also a bug going on right now on some servers, usually on KOTH maps where stats stop tracking after one of the rounds which might have happened to you.

That must have been it. There was no arrows to choose or cycling of stats. It pretended like I had just played Mercy and got one elimination and one death after three rounds. I threw me into the game in round one already in progress, then round 2 I switched. I thought maybe it was something in a new patch that only made it to PC.

Thanks for the explanation, that was definitely my issue. Also Lucio was invisible at times whether on my team or theirs.

eek5

Damn masteroverwatch updated their UI. They copied a bunch of stuff from overbuff except their stats are per min which is pretty cool I guess.

Blizzard

Banned
solo queued up to 66 from 53

http://i.imgur.com/netBn2J.jpg

maybe i'm getting lucky with decent teammates, but i think the biggest aspect of succeeding is being willing to switch to whatever kind of hero the team needs
Nice work. I feel like that's true as well. The biggest sign of danger to me is when someone (most often Tracer, also maybe Genji/Hanzo/Zenyatta) refuses to switch an entire match even if things are going poorly.

Recognizing QUICKLY when things are going poorly is tough, of course.

ramyeon

I'm gonna go ahead and say it. I have no respect for your win if you win using two Torbjorns and two Bastions on defense on PS4.

Teams like this suck the fun out of this game and it's obvious that people rely on it because it's an easy win.

Mendrox

I'm gonna go ahead and say it. I have no respect for your win if you win using two Torbjorns and two Bastions on defense on PS4.

Teams like this suck the fun out of this game and it's obvious that people rely on it because it's an easy win.

Annoying as fuck, but it is what it is. Hasn't the Torb nerf been released yet? I guess that would fix that for you guys.

Annoying as fuck, but it is what it is. Hasn't the Torb nerf been released yet? I guess that would fix that for you guys.

Damage control.

Why did you get worked up over my last post? I was joking when I posted that video of someone quitting against Surefour; that guy got disconnected and rejoined, but still gave Surefour's team dedcuted XP lol.

Ramirez

Played a game earlier where they had to take it to OT on a payload to win. We steamrolled them on our payload. Lose in sudden death to multi Torb, it's so fucking dumb. What is wrong with going with the fastest time as the win?

I hate getting randoms in a comp group who simply refuse to communicate in any way, shape, or form. Had a Reaper who wouldn't type, talk, or even emote when people were asking him to switch off because he was doing nothing against double Pharah. :l At least say something dumb in return so I feel justified laying into you with every insult I can think of.

duckroll

So to get the rewards for the season, how much do you have to play? Sorry if this is a silly question lol.

You just have to finish your placements to get the automatic rewards. The golden weapon skins are 300 points each, so that's 300 wins to unlock each. You also get bonus points at the end of the season based on rank.

You just have to finish your placements to get the automatic rewards. The golden weapon skins are 300 points each, so that's 300 wins to unlock each. You also get bonus points at the end of the season based on rank.

Okay, thanks. That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure so I didn't miss out.

I-hate-u

If you are on the opposing end of payload delievery, and it's the last checkpoint choke hold, obviously Bastions, Torbs, and even Junkrats are the best pick then, you know. That's how the game is, I ain't playing to lose.

That said, I am starting to see some adaption to those characters on PS4. They are not nearly as effective as they were before.

Antiwhippy

Eh, you got 3 months to put in that 150 hours, plus there's a payout based on your final ranking after the season. Assuming that you can put in at least 4 matches a day with should be around 1 hour, you should be able to get one gold gun depending on how much they payout.

Welp. With that last loss, my winrate has dropped to 59%. My winrate for the day was a whopping 44%. Don't even know what's going wrong.

Animator

There is a special hell for people who insist on picking genji against a team of dual winstons. Seriously FUCK the playerbase of this game. I have never seen so many morons in one game.

Blizzard

Banned
Winning 6v6 and gaining 5% of a level because someone left in the last minute sucks.

Winning 5v6 and gaining 5% of a level because someone left in the last minute REALLY sucks.

Or does winning with 5v6 give you 5% of a level regardless? Having a penalty for your OWN team being weak would be mind-bendingly bizarre.

z3phon

After so many days i had a good streak of 5 games with a good team only to have the enemy team quit in the last moment of the final round in each of those matches. Resulting in only ranking up in 1 rank after 5 wins, only to lose the next match to a full team and ranking down again.

I'm only rank 44 and with a decent than it would be so easy to reach rank 50. :(
Feels impossible to even reach rank 47 playing solo for me.

Ferga

As a new player to ranked, how the hell are you suppose to climb?

Everytime my team and I dominate a first round, someone on the other team just leaves and we all get screwed over for it.

Animator

After so many days i had a good streak of 5 games with a good team only to have the enemy team quit in the last moment of the final round in each of those matches. Resulting in only ranking up in 1 rank after 5 wins, only to lose the next match to a full team and ranking down again.

I'm only rank 44 and with a decent than it would be so easy to reach rank 50. :(
Feels impossible to even reach rank 47 playing solo for me.

Yea playing this game solo means you will rank all the way down to rank 1-10 by the time the season is over thanks to the idiotic xp system the game has. The whole thing is one step forward, three steps back. I hope they fire the guy who came up with the ranked xp system in this game.

Blizzard

Banned
As a new player to ranked, how the hell are you suppose to climb?

Everytime my team and I dominate a first round, someone on the other team just leaves and we all get screwed over for it.

My last 2 had leavers as well. It's kind of sad and funny because just 2 days ago I predicted this:

If they don't add a leaver penalty, it's going to get bad. You only gain about 1/20 of a level if someone leaves on the other team, no matter how late. So, if you're winning KOTH or some other long map, the losing team will just quit with one person near the end, essentially preventing anyone from leveling up.

Just a thought but I think a simple way to "fix" D.Va would be to switch her armor to shields. Thoughts?

It doesn't make any sense in terms of the lore, and from a gameplay point of view, you lose shields faster than armor, meaning D.Va would have to keep going in and out rather than staying in and being a beast. Unless defense matrix would let you recharge your shields, which instead would make you too OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom