• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViviOggi

Getting a loss when someone on your own team leaves is correct, feels bad but it's the only way to do it - but what train of thought leads to penalizing the winning team? Like, I don't know of any decent game that does that (only dumpster fires stuck in the 2000s like SFV), why would you ever think that's a good idea? You punish leavers individually to discourage the practice, but nothing should change for any of the remaining players.

It doesn't make any sense in terms of the lore, and from a gameplay point of view, you lose shields faster than armor, meaning D.Va would have to keep going in and out rather than staying in and being a beast. Unless defense matrix would let you recharge your shields, which instead would make you too OP.

Defense matrix should recharge your armor per enemy damage; kinda like absorption. So people are going to stop shooting her the moment she pulls that out, except for Torb torrets who will heal her and then get smashed.

Getting a loss when someone on your own team leaves is correct, feels bad but it's the only way to do it - but what train of thought leads to penalizing the winning team? Like, I don't know of any decent game that does that (only dumpster fires stuck in the 2000s like SFV), why would you ever think that's a good idea? You punish leavers individually to discourage the practice, but nothing should change for any of the remaining players.

Some idiots might be leaving deliberately to punish the other team that smashed them.

Veelk

Banned
Yes, random players. Please pick 3 Widows on Temple of Anubis. I am sure you motherfuckers have the eyes and coordination of a fucking hawk to be compensate for the loss of 3 people that could contest the point.

HiiiLife

Yes, random players. Please pick 3 Widows on Temple of Anubis. I am sure you motherfuckers have the eyes and coordination of a fucking hawk to be compensate for the loss of 3 people that could contest the point.

Hanzos are up there too.

Ayumi

Ranked in this game is so bad that it will probably kill the game's population.

Knowing Blizzard, they probably try their best to take care of it based on users' complaints and suggestions. They used to be terrible with customer support & feedback, but really have gotten their shit together in the last years. If enough people reach out, I wouldn't worry about things too much.

Personally, I feel like ranked is 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Definitely how it feels, especially when my team and I lose. The meter goes down way more easy after a loss than it goes up after a win. ._.

Blizzard

Banned
Knowing Blizzard, they probably try their best to take care of it based on users' complaints and suggestions. They used to be terrible with customer support & feedback, but really have gotten their shit together in the last years. If enough people reach out, I wouldn't worry about things too much.

Personally, I feel like ranked is 1 step forward, 2 steps back. Definitely how it feels, especially when my team and I lose. The meter goes down way more easy after a loss than it goes up after a win. ._.
Does this happen even if you're playing solo? Aside from the crappy 5% last-minute-leaver points, it seems to properly scale based on ranks.

For example, when I played with friends who were 6 or so levels above me, I think it took 4 losses to lose a single level. The system EXPECTED me to lose, so it hurt me less.

However, if you lose a solo queue game, most everyone there should be your level, and it might hurt more. If you're the underdog, maybe not.

Despite the leaver games, I won some games without leavers and got a new high. Since placement 48 -> dropping to 46 or 45, I'm up to 50 playing both solo and with friends.

Overbuff/Masteroverwatch seem to not be working out my stats correctly on competative, specifically for per hero win rate. Like I just lost a game with Zarya, but I'm still 2-0 with her according to them. Overall win/loss is still correct.

Overbuff/Masteroverwatch seem to not be working out my stats correctly on competative, specifically for per hero win rate. Like I just lost a game with Zarya, but I'm still 2-0 with her according to them. Overall win/loss is still correct.

It takes a while to catch up, usually 30-45 mins

Ayumi

Does this happen even if you're playing solo? Aside from the crappy 5% last-minute-leaver points, it seems to properly scale based on ranks.

For example, when I played with friends who were 6 or so levels above me, I think it took 4 losses to lose a single level. The system EXPECTED me to lose, so it hurt me less.

However, if you lose a solo queue game, most everyone there should be your level, and it might hurt more. If you're the underdog, maybe not.

Despite the leaver games, I won some games without leavers and got a new high. Since placement 48 -> dropping to 46 or 45, I'm up to 50 playing both solo and with friends.

Actually, I've only played Competitive as solo, and did ranked a solo. Wouldn't it be the same? Am I failing worse because I'm not grouping up with friends? D: Yikes. I went from 46 to 35. The losses definitely hurt more, and makes it extremely hard to go back up.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's ratio based i believe based on the average of your group's ranking. If you lose as an underdog it doesn't hurt as much.

Blizzard

Banned
Actually, I've only played Competitive as solo, and did ranked a solo. Wouldn't it be the same? Am I failing worse because I'm not grouping up with friends? D: Yikes. I went from 46 to 35. The losses definitely hurt more, and makes it extremely hard to go back up.
If you're doing solo I would think you'd lose and gain similar amounts, but what Antiwhippy said about the underdog thing.

I do know after I won 32, lost 32, I was exactly back at my original level. Coincidence or not, who knows. That was several days back before the recent leaver shenanigans.

I had an all-time classic in quick play last night: two Hanzos on a KotH match. I normally don't bother to say anything about character selection, but after the first round was a slaughter I had to chime in on chat: "Guys, 1 Hanzo at the most. Preferably 0."

Thankfully, one of the Hanzos did switch (to Tracer, who they were miserable at), but then another player on the team left and was replaced by a new one who promptly picked... Widowmaker. At that point I just gave up. As the second round ended I had enough time to skate my Lucio up to the one guy who didn't switch off Hanzo (guess what? Nowhere near the objective, of course) just as the enemy killed him, and gave his corpse a few extra shots just to make myself feel better. I sure hope he saw it.

Almost as bad as the KotH match with no tanks or healers, and two Torbjorns. I swear.

PatjuhR

How is the winning team punished for leavers on the other team? Haven't noticed. Less progress towards next rank?

That's a shame, because I don't think I ever completed one of my 20 matches untill now with two full teams.

Yes, poor stacks and composition are bad... but you know what's worse? People bitching about it incessantly. I'm sure we can do more with two motivated Hanzos than our sulking tank standing in a corner to spew bile on chat.

Bad team morale is a bigger issue than a suboptimal character choice.

duckroll

Yes, poor stacks and composition are bad... but you know what's worse? People bitching about it incessantly. I'm sure we can do more with two motivated Hanzos than our sulking tank standing in a corner to spew bile on chat.

I disagree. It can be easily argued that bad team morale is more toxic and less healthy psychologically than poor stacks and composition alone, sure. But in terms of actual team performance, once you have bad stacks and composition, and if the team isn't even responsive to advice or requests to swap out, it's basically over.

You can't do "more" when it's already a loss. Is that a bad attitude? Sure, but it's also a reality of the game. If you have two Hanzos, and they're ignoring any request to swap, and they suck at it, being "supportive" isn't going to change anything, anyone who is trying to play properly will feel like shit anyway.

I'm not encouraging bitching here, because it certainly doesn't help, but it's definitely not worse than the problem that caused it to begin with! The actual problem isn't suboptimal character choice, the actual problem is people being inconsiderate about playing a team game. If you have a strategy as a Hanzo and you want to try something, I think any reasonable person would be supportive. If you're just picking whatever you want without consideration for the rest of the team and ignore all communication, that's not suboptimal character choice, that's being a dick. :(

:(((((((((((((

Ranked was supposed to be good guys, people were supposed to think about group compositions.

Instead every control round there's a Widow/Hanzo on my team sniping 100m from the control point.

I started at 51, I'm at 43 now and I'd like my enjoyable launch Overwatch back.

Antiwhippy

Hmm, i actually think it does encourage good group composition? Certainly does on my end. My losses are mostly just from bad play (including from me) than composition honestly.

Of course, as with any match making system ymmv.

What if I ask them politely and explain that their picks are shit inappropriate? I did see this kind of behavior though; I hate those players more than the toxic, intolerant players do, but I give them tips instead of shit-talking (in some cases) even though I despite them the most.

I had to explain to an idiot today--who actually tried to be the toxic knowledgeable player--that his Widowmaker pick in Temple of Anus is bad because of how tight is the map. He claims that he counters torrets with her. So we start the match and he gets forced to switch to Pharah and he finds out torrets guarded by Reinhardt, Lucio and Torb (obviously), which I and a D.Va took out (and I rubbed it in his face).

It was hilarious because he (and I jumped did too) told a Korean player to switch from Genji when we were defending in the first round, but he said he doesn't suck with Genji, so we gambled and recommended switching. He ended up getting PoTG when we were attacking LOL. And that asshole Widowmaker on attack tried to shit on my sound barrier ult when they were pushing, claiming that it was a random ult (in a bitchy way while he was FUCKING getting carried) because he was a shitty, blind player who doesn't realize we are getting flanked big time from the right.

Defense matrix should recharge your armor per enemy damage; kinda like absorption. So people are going to stop shooting her the moment she pulls that out, except for Torb torrets who will heal her and then get smashed.

Some idiots might be leaving deliberately to punish the other team that smashed them.

This is absolutely happening. 100%.

Re: your D.Va idea, the concept is good in terms of how to adjust her without making her OP, but the mechanics of it are too close to Zarya.

Right now, there's very little overlap between characters and that fact goes a long way toward keeping this game fresh feeling, even after 100 hours. I don't want anything to alter that.

PatjuhR

It's true. Teams have better composition in competitive mode.

It's my habit to wait with selecting a hero to pick one that fits the team, but in competive it happens more often than not that we already got a tank and a healer after the first few picks.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
has anyone felt that the framerate doesn't feel as smooth recently? i just built a new PC (gtx 1070) and while it does say it's running a solid 60fps it just doesn't feel as smooth as it did before. i've got the refresh rate set to 60hz, limiting fps in rivatuner, and using vsync, gpu drivers are up to date.

Antiwhippy

Also i feel like launch overwatch was more of a crapshoot due to the influx of new players who weren't in the betas (including me!).

has anyone felt that the framerate doesn't feel as smooth recently? i just built a new PC (gtx 1070) and while it does say it's running a solid 60fps it just doesn't feel as smooth as it did before. i've got the refresh rate set to 60hz, limiting fps in rivatuner, and using vsync, gpu drivers are up to date.

The fps was broken during the widow/mcree patch, and persist to this day.
Don't even bother changing from high to low. It will run the same.

You are probably running into frame-timing issues. Have you tried running it in Borderless?

What if I ask them politely and explain that their picks are shit inappropriate? I did see this kind of behavior though; I hate those players more than the toxic, intolerant players do, but I give them tips instead of shit-talking (in some cases) even though I despite them the most.

Yeah, that would be ideal... but you know, most people aren't polite in the slightest. It's not just pointing out a suboptimal pick or telling someone to cool it... 99% of the time, it's negativity that leads to more negativity until people stop caring. I just mute complainers without a second thought, even if it means less call-outs and coordination.

Absolutely cannot stand the stuff I'm seeing in chat, particularly in ranked.

HiiiLife

Ranked was supposed to be good guys, people were supposed to think about group compositions.

Instead every control round there's a Widow/Hanzo on my team sniping 100m from the control point.

I started at 51, I'm at 43 now and I'd like my enjoyable launch Overwatch back.

Started at 62. Dropped damn near 10 levels lol. Playing with randoms in quick play I was teamed with decent composition.

Pooya

ok, let play some qp. First pick Hanzo...
second widow...
third Hanzo!

The the Hanzo start fighting who has to play Hanzo, "I picked first"

"I've 48 hours on Hanzo bruh"

"I play whatever I want in quick play"

these are not new player either.

.... I'm practicing mercy, playing mercy makes you really see how bad or good your teammates are, I'm just watching these Hanzos accomplishing jack shit.

Then as we're getting rekt, they start comparing kills, like lol. cmon it's just so silly at this point. I wish people were fighting with each other to play tanks instead like they do for Hanzo. I was thinking maybe it's marketing's fault, genji hanzo and widow were in the cinematic shorts and maybe people liked them. but then again Soldier and Winston were in those too and you don't see people fighting over those who are far easier to be effective with too.

.... I'm practicing mercy, playing mercy makes you really see how bad or good your teammates are, I'm just watching these Hanzos accomplishing jack shit.

This is the truth... it's not just watching them, you also immediately know if that Hanzo, Pharah or McRee is actually landing shots when you're damage boosting.

This is why pharah is the only skill based character in the game.

no idea if your even being serious, but its just dreadful what blizzard has made. combine the ridiculous "aiming" with the 20 tickrate, matchmaking that gives no fucks about region and horrid netcode and the game is just a disaster. its hard not to actually laugh out loud watching the killcam and seeing just how detached it is from what is being displayed on your end

Yeah, that would be ideal... but you know, most people aren't polite in the slightest. It's not just pointing out a suboptimal pick or telling someone to cool it... 99% of the time, it's negativity that leads to more negativity until people stop caring. I just mute complainers without a second thought, even if it means less call-outs and coordination.

Absolutely cannot stand the stuff I'm seeing in chat, particularly in ranked.

Yeah Overwatch certainly has a way to bring the worst out of people in terms of shifting the blame. The game interconnects individual performances, roles, team comp, objective and communication. People obviously pick up bad habits without having a second thought. Once someone clicks and gets fed up with something, it is hard to to change the habit of shitting on bad players the moment the match starts.

The worst kind of people I met in Overwatch are those rude, narcissistic assholes who fully take advantage of anonymity. They have an authoritative tone and will immediately start giving you commands, and then shit-talking you without discussing or suggesting picks--some bitches start griefing and AFKing too. Those assholes start whining and shit-talking immediately just to get people to pick tanks/healers while they only pick offense/defense characters. Some picks are ridiculous, but some assholes who point out the bad picks are sometimes the core of the problem, as they refuse to change and don't know shit about playing multiple heroes competently.

Overwatch should include a psychology test in the tutorial and group people depending on the result.

no idea if your even being serious, but its just dreadful what blizzard has made. combine the ridiculous "aiming" with the 20 tickrate, matchmaking that gives no fucks about region and horrid netcode and the game is just a disaster. its hard not to actually laugh out loud watching the killcam and seeing just how detached it is from what is being displayed on your end

I have no idea why the game has a 20hz tickrate. Blizzard probably thinks that Overwatch is an online turn-based game. Seriously, we get that some huge online games like Battlefields have limitations with tickrate, but Overwatch doesn't seem like one. Now that you reminded me, WHY AREN'T PEOPLE HOSTING CUSTOM GAMES?

ramyeon

This is the truth... it's not just watching them, you also immediately know if that Hanzo, Pharah or McRee is actually landing shots when you're damage boosting.
I also love it when I'm damage boosting or healing an attack hero and as soon as they see an enemy they high tail out of their leaving me in the dust. This happens way too often.

Antiwhippy

Mostly kidding, but you know what, I'm not super into competitive FPS but I do enjoy how... casual overwatch is. Mostly the reason why I've stuck with it honestly. Because yes, I'm terrible at shooters, so I like how forgiving it is.

duckroll

Overwatch is very fun. That makes it a good game. Could it be better? Are there technical and design issues holding it back a little? Sure. It's a brand new game, and Blizzard has never made a team shooter before, or any shooter really, so what they've achieved is already fantastic.

Mostly kidding, but you know what, I'm not super into competitive FPS but I do enjoy how... casual overwatch is. Mostly the reason why I've stuck with it honestly. Because yes, I'm terrible at shooters, so I like how forgiving it is.

I like that about Overwatch too; you can focus on the mental and strategic aspects of the game more. Compared to Counter Strike, you don't have to play on daily basis for a freaking year just to be average at aiming. Even fighting games are not that ridiculous.

Antiwhippy

Speaking of which, honestly, I love fighting games, but I don't have the time for it nowadays, and overwatch is honestly perfect for me in that sense. It gives me what I love about fighting games, such as multiple unique, colorful characters with varied movesets, while putting it in a package that is very easy to get into.

Kasei

Encountered a heartbreaking moment last night...

My ranked play team had won a hard fought round on Route 66, during which I had been running ragged as a Mercy to keep us in the fight. After a 4 player revival on the payload, we had thrown them off with 5 seconds left on the clock to win the match.

My screen went black with two seconds left and I was presented with an Overwatch log-in screen. I hammered in my details and sure enough, back on the main menu. No win registered or change in my rank.

That was the only satisfying game of the night. I've never encountered a disconnect in the game prior to now, and nothing so abrupt. Soured my ranked play experience needless to say and I quit early. The games last forever as it is, I don't want to be robbed!

R0ckman

solo queued up to 66 from 53

http://i.imgur.com/netBn2J.jpg

maybe i'm getting lucky with decent teammates, but i think the biggest aspect of succeeding is being willing to switch to whatever kind of hero the team needs

both him and seagull are so much fun to watch

must see tv

You're getting lucky. There is too much sabotage in the system, quitters on your team, quitters on the enemy team.

Had TWO matches today I was about to win, one of them the opposite team did the server crash, the other the team quit.

Zemm

Had a Lucio the other day shit talking the team because he had a bunch of eliminations, not realizing that he was complimenting us on all the eliminations we gave him.

Always ask them how much damage they've done when they talk about eliminations.

Antiwhippy

So I just encountered the strangest thing.

Had a match where there were 2 symmetras, and all they did was spawn camp the spawn point with teleports and turrets.

Which did get a few people, but what it essentially did was have the other team down 2 players who were busy spawn camping and my team made it to the end easily.

Just bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom