• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overwatch is very fun. That makes it a good game. Could it be better? Are there technical and design issues holding it back a little? Sure. It's a brand new game, and Blizzard has never made a team shooter before, or any shooter really, so what they've achieved is already fantastic.

I agree with this. There's room in competitive games for high threshold entry points and there's room for accessible games. I'm not excusing the game's problems by any means but these large grace area hitboxes aren't in there by accident or incompetence. It's ridiculous to think they are with a company this large with a game this popular.

They're very carefully trying to balance accessibility (otherwise known as "casual") with competitive gaming (otherwise known as "Mountain dEwSports.")

Anyway, the new Quake is coming out soon. While it's super reductive to just say "Go play Quake" to complaints like server tick... go play Quake?

Angel_DvA

People are so shit in this game, damn.

I can't even win One Single game if I'm not playing with my friends, most of the people don't even know what they're doing...

ramyeon

God Mercy is fun to play a little aggressively. People just don't expect it and they freak out when you whip out your gun and start going for them. Need to balance it between healing and buffing your team but she can definitely hold her own if the need be. I've taken out Genjis, Soldiers, Reapers and even Bastions solo with her under the right circumstances.

spiritfox

I'm actually fine with the hitboxes, mainly cause I can't aim for shit. But maybe they want to refine it so that you actually need visibility to hit the other player.

R0ckman

I agree with this. There's room in competitive games for high threshold entry points and there's room for accessible games. I'm not excusing the game's problems by any means but these large grace area hitboxes aren't in there by accident or incompetence. It's ridiculous to think they are with a company this large with a game this popular.

They're very carefully trying to balance accessibility (otherwise known as "casual") with competitive gaming (otherwise known as "Mountain dEwSports.")

Anyway, the new Quake is coming out soon. While it's super reductive to just say "Go play Quake" to complaints like server tick... go play Quake?

I'm guessing they do this since not all characters are the same size and do not have the same movement and animations.

PatjuhR

Only complaint I have at the moment is that in competitive mode I feel like I'm playing KOTH all the time. And they are long as hell.

I don't mind hitboxes, except for Hanzo. I want his hitbox to be pixel-perfect with his character model--smaller would be ideal. Doing so will decrease the number of Hanzo players, thus improving overall experience for the playerbase.

Cerity

I've kind of learnt to let go in QP lol. Just had a game where we had 4 Reinhardt's on King's Row defense. It nearly worked, the enemy team pushed the payload pretty close to the first checkpoint and there was only a 30s or so left on the timer. But then they decided to get their shit together and pretty much all swapped over to Pharah's. At that point none of them changed and I figured I could get some hooking practice in with Roadhog.

Another game before that one, Hanamura defense, 3 genji's and a junkrat. Me and the other guy just decided to mess about and went double Mei. Ended in a loss but a lot of shenanigans.

Interfectum

I'm stuck in leaver hell... i went from rank 57 to 49 yesterday due to horrible teams and tons of people leaving the game. Seems like the lower I drop in rank the great chance of people leaving too. Kaplan has a bit of a mess on his hands here.

PatjuhR

I've kind of learnt to let go in QP lol. Just had a game where we had 4 Reinhardt's on King's Row defense. It nearly worked, the enemy team pushed the payload pretty close to the first checkpoint and there was only a 30s or so left on the timer. But then they decided to get their shit together and pretty much all swapped over to Pharah's. At that point none of them changed and I figured I could get some hooking practice in with Roadhog.

Another game before that one, Hanamura defense, 3 genji's and a junkrat. Me and the other guy just decided to mess about and went double Mei. Ended in a loss but a lot of shenanigans.

With competitive play in the game now I fully support quick play to go full shenanigans all the time.

Nobody should expect their rank to climb or stay steady. There's enough variance in this game (due to the fact that you're only 1/6th of the equation on your team) that you should expect your rank at any point to be fluctuating a few levels above or below your "actual" skill level.

i forget that tracer can blink through certain objects. but i keep forgetting she can't blink vertically. also speaking of going up. i hope no one watches me trying to start riding the walls with Lucio lol.

Interfectum

Nobody should expect their rank to climb or stay steady. There's enough variance in this game (due to the fact that you're only 1/6th of the equation on your team) that you should expect your rank at any point to be fluctuating a few levels above or below your "actual" skill level.

You shouldn't lose an entire level because someone on your team leaves. It's so discouraging you'd just rather not play anymore.

Zemm

I'm stuck in leaver hell... i went from rank 57 to 49 yesterday due to horrible teams and tons of people leaving the game. Seems like the lower I drop in rank the great chance of people leaving too. Kaplan has a bit of a mess on his hands here.

Yeah he has a ton of work to get ranked up to a decent standard, I can't see it being at that level for another 2-3 seasons. I'm having way more fun in Quick Play at the moment.

PatjuhR

Raise the price of golden weapons.

Raise the price of coins you get for winning.

Give people coins for completing the match.

Interfectum

Raise the price of golden weapons.

Raise the price of coins you get for winning.

Give people coins for completing the match.

Coming from WoW I'm shocked Kaplan hasn't already done this. Everyone should at least get 1 or more competitive points for participating to the end fo the match. That would discourage leaving and take a bit of sting out of losing.

abundant

Blizzard needs to do something about these rage quitters. We found out the hard way that it isn't a problem that just plagues solo queues, even in group play, other groups quit when they are losing. We faced one team on KotH that beat us in the opening round with a double Tracer strategy, so in the next round, we countered with double Junkrat. Instead of readjusting for the third round, the entire team quit and we were the ones who were punished.

Nyx

Man competitive mode can be such a drag when you're on the attack and there's Torbjorns and Bastions everywhere...
If this mode means every other team is going to use flavor of the month set ups over and over again then I might just switch back to quick play again.

Feels it was better when it was trying to win for the fun of it instead of for a ranking.

Interfectum

Blizzard needs to do something about these rage quitters. We found out the hard way that it isn't a problem that just plagues solo queues, even in group play, other groups quit when they are losing. We faced one team on KotH that beat us in the opening round with a double Tracer strategy, so in the next round, we countered with double Junkrat. Instead of readjusting for the third round, the entire team quit and we were the ones who were punished.

There's literally no reason for the losing team to stay once they know it's fucked. They don't get any competitive points for participating and they can fuck over the winning team by messing up their rank gains.

How Kaplan didn't see this coming is crazy to me.

Yeah he has a ton of work to get ranked up to a decent standard, I can't see it being at that level for another 2-3 seasons. I'm having way more fun in Quick Play at the moment.

6-stacking in Quick Play is really cool at the moment.

It's all teams trying new things or warming up before jumping into Ranked.

I've seen a lot more variation in gameplay because of this. Hyper-aggressive Defense teams, triangulation of the KOTH point instead of a melee, etc. They don't always work out but it's fun to shake things up and see things shaken up.

R0ckman

There's literally no reason for the losing team to stay once they know it's fucked. They don't get any competitive points for participating and they can fuck over the winning team by messing up their rank gains.

How Kaplan didn't see this coming is crazy to me.

5 comp points for winning, one for playing would go miles.

R0ckman

I've seen a lot more variation in gameplay because of this. Hyper-aggressive Defense teams, triangulation of the KOTH point instead of a melee, etc. They don't always work out but it's fun to shake things up and see things shaken up.

I've seen more disgruntled players who are actually pretty good just going back to quick play. Games are also faster.

Interfectum

5 comp points for winning, one for playing would go miles.

Yup, they need to give the losers more stuff for participating. Call it carebear or welfare points, it doesn't matter... as of right now leaving will plague ranked until they incentivize people to stay. The amount of rage quitting in the lower 50s right now is insane.

Yep. I saw something new today: a glitch that allowed some piece of shit to phase through walls with Bastion and shoot from all payload angles. I reported his ass and reported the glitch to Blizzard.

On a serious note, the most insane stacking strategy I've seen is the two minute CP on Volskaya done with Surefour and his group. They went D.Vas, Lucio and Winston, and they captured the first point in under a minute despite the Torb setup by ENVIOUS.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Watching good Genjis play is inspiring

I love Genji

I pray they give him a good legendary skin

I thought I had heard that Quick Play was a Hanzo wasteland after ranked hit, but if people are indeed going back to QP and trying random shit, maybe that's a reason to come back to the game. I still like Overwatch in theory, it's just it's felt so bad lately that I stopped playing.

Kasei

Encountered a heartbreaking moment last night...

My ranked play team had won a hard fought round on Route 66, during which I had been running ragged as a Mercy to keep us in the fight. After a 4 player revival on the payload, we had thrown them off with 5 seconds left on the clock to win the match.

My screen went black with two seconds left and I was presented with an Overwatch log-in screen. I hammered in my details and sure enough, back on the main menu. No win registered or change in my rank.

That was the only satisfying game of the night. I've never encountered a disconnect in the game prior to now, and nothing so abrupt. Soured my ranked play experience needless to say and I quit early. The games last forever as it is, I don't want to be robbed!

Thinking that my 'disconnect' impacted the players on my team makes me so frustrated. Tempted to stay in quick play until this is resolved; I'm not convinced that points or rank are close to worth the hassle associated with ranked.

Genjis only good skin is Carbon fibre and Bedouin.

Really Soldier 76 is the one who needs better legendaries, they're all so ugly without his mask.

Zemm

I've seen more disgruntled players who are actually pretty good just going back to quick play. Games are also faster.

Games not lasting forever is another thing I don't like. KotH doesn't need to be best of 5 and the 2CP maps don't need to potentially last 40-60 minutes.

Rixxan

I love Genji

i quite like Nomad

but it basically nullifies the need for gold weapons, i mean - the nomad weapon skins for Genji are almost identical to the gold weapon skin, lol

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Genjis only good skin is Carbon fibre and Bedouin.

Really Soldier 76 is the one who needs better legendaries, they're all so ugly without his mask.

Soldiers defaults are badass tho, as are Genjis

Interfectum

Games not lasting forever is another thing I don't like. KotH doesn't need to be best of 5 and the 2CP maps don't need to potentially last 40-60 minutes.

Yeah the games are way too long, especially if you are gonna lose anyway (hence people quitting early). I don't know why they just didn't keep the same setup they have in quick match and just add ranking to that.

Mr Cola

One thing I noted alot of good players do is melee alot instead of fire at close range

ohkay

The problem with giving everyone a competitive point for finishing a match is you'll get people afking instead of just rage quitting

People are so shit in this game, damn.

I can't even win One Single game if I'm not playing with my friends, most of the people don't even know what they're doing...
It's incredible to me when you see people with 40-50 hours of play time being completely oblivious to very simple rules/expectations/objectives and just chasing kills or running in to a full squad by themselves over and over. So many people continue to play this as TDM.

It's gotten to the point I have to have a minimum team of 4 other people I know to make me want to play competitive. Even one awful player can swing matches in competitive.

ramyeon

I love Genji

Genji's Sparrow skin is awesome imo.

Love playing as him, especially since at first I couldn't even aim his shuriken properly with the PS4 controller. Now I tear things to shreds with him. Lots of fun.

abundant

I also found out, thanks to playing with randoms, why Blizzard is nerfing Torb. It's not because he's OP or hard to take down, it's because people are so bad at this game that they seemingly choose to ignore the damn thing. There's no way in hell a Tob turret should last for the entire round.

Never again will I play with randoms.

The problem with giving everyone a competitive point for finishing a match is you'll get people afking instead of just rage quitting
As long as I'm not penalized for one person or the entire group rage quitting, then I don't care.

I also found out, thanks to playing with randoms, why Blizzard is nerfing Torb. It's not because he's OP or hard to take down, it's because people are so bad at this game that they seemingly choose to ignore the damn thing. There's no way in hell a Tob turret should last for the entire round.

Never again will I play with randoms.
"What is this shield that is facing directly towards the turret for me (Soldier) to shoot down? Whatever, I'll go chase Genji away from the objective."

Yep. I saw something new today: a glitch that allowed some piece of shit to phase through walls with Bastion and shoot from all payload angles. I reported his ass and reported the glitch to Blizzard.

On a serious note, the most insane stacking strategy I've seen is the two minute CP on Volskaya done with Surefour and his group. They went D.Vas, Lucio and Winston, and they captured the first point in under a minute despite the Torb setup by ENVIOUS.

As you should have! Get that shit out of my game. Good riddance to anyone who wants to exploit glitches.

And that Volskaya strategy is super legit. We did it in a GAF group maybe a month ago. If you get part of your team to peel off and start heading for the next point, you can wreck house before they even get a chance to set up.

I'll look up the pro version. I'm sure it's a lot cleaner than the one we did, haha.

I thought I had heard that Quick Play was a Hanzo wasteland after ranked hit, but if people are indeed going back to QP and trying random shit, maybe that's a reason to come back to the game. I still like Overwatch in theory, it's just it's felt so bad lately that I stopped playing.

Solo can still be a pain, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as right when Ranked Comp came out. It's coming back around. Then again, I'm kind of an asshole because I spent yesterday in solo QP trying to git gud with Genji, who I had less than an hour with.

One thing I've noticed though, and this is really unfortunate, is that people have NO PROBLEM with just outright quitting in Quick Play now. I don't know if it's a case where the penalty isn't as steep as the one in Ranked, or if people are just playing it until they get a slot in their team so they just up and leave, or if there's a mentality of "Who cares, this is competitive?"

I really, really dislike leavers, man. Really, really, really dislike them. Add on additional reallys as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom