• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Pharah nerf

I don't think she needs a full nerf on console necessarily. 25 less HP might go a long way or something (though I doubt it), but it's not the real issue. The issue is no one can counter her at all on console- it's not something a nerf can change. She fundamentally is very obnoxious to deal with on consoles.
I go down as Pharah very easy.

Granted, I suck as her quite a bit, but I think she's already squishy enough.

LiK

She dies too easy already when hit directly a few times. If your team can't handle a Pharah then you should practice with heroes that can hit from range instead of wanting to nerf her. She's pretty balanced already.

Soulflarz

Banned
Don't fucking touch my Pharah. Soldier and McCree are good counters to Pharah. I've been killed by them if they're good. Nerf your Reaper cuz he does too much damage and his Ult is instant. He just jumps in Die Die Die.

The issue is that Soldier/McCree have a very hard time shooting her on console vs on PC- it's a lot bigger of an issue than say, Symmetra turrets or something.

As I and many have said before, if you take away Death Blossom, you neuter Reaper, an attack character considered on the fairly low end of the role. There's a reason he didn't get a nerf and got a minor buff (death blossom charges faster). To start, it's not too hard to see coming due to the way you need to phase in for it, it's rather easy to kill him out of it (you're squishy and if you don't have full health you won't get past the second die said- see phase being a needed tool), and a silly amount of the cast can completely stop it regardless. Winston's barrier ruins it, Genji reflects it, Pharah shouldn't even be in range and if she is she can concussion you out of it, Reinhardt can block the entire thing for him and anyone decent enough to get behind it, Roadhog can chain you out of it, Lucio can blast you out of his way, Ana can sleep you, Mei can go hide in her shell for the duration of it, doing it over a Junkrat is a free death cause marytrdom, Zarya can shield 2 for the duration, etc. If you don't die immediately, they can do a lot to get you out of their way. It solely works because if you use it perfectly, you can kill people before they hopefully see you- and if they do, you've done a good amount of damage for your team to wipe up near your corpse on the 80% dead team. The more reaction time you give them, the worse the move gets. And in the mid to high 60s, death blossom goes from being one of my favorite ults to being largely wasted.

Competently using Death Blossom for quad kills and such where you actually were the reason for them instead of kill stealing is *very hard* in competitive and requires awareness- the other team will always have at least one person who can shut down this great reaper tool.

or, TL;DR, any damage nerf ruins the whole point of Reaper and his element of surprise to win 1v1s and would make it laughably easy to end a death blossom, which is already a borderline suicidal move in many cases.

Yeah, I think it's moreso playerbase and aim, but I don't think HP is the issue here. Something else needs to be done.

I mean, they could reduce splash damage on rockets even more and force console Pharah players to hold altitude, evade, and land direct hits all at once...

Not that Im advocating for that. I think shes fine. In an ideal world, the console versions lose the spread nerf on Soldier.

LiK

The issue is that Soldier/McCree have a very hard time shooting her on console vs on PC- it's a lot bigger of an issue than say, Symmetra turrets or something.

As I and many have said before, if you take away Death Blossom, you neuter Reaper, an attack character considered on the fairly low end of the role. There's a reason he didn't get a nerf and got a minor buff (death blossom charges faster). It's not too hard to see coming, it's rather easy to kill him out of it (you're squishy and if you don't have full health you won't get past the second die said), and a silly amount of the cast can completely stop it regardless. Winston's barrier ruins it, Genji reflects it, Pharah shouldn't even be in range and if she is she can concussion you out of it, Reinhardt can block the entire thing for him and anyone decent enough to get behind it, Roadhog can chain you out of it, Lucio can blast you out of his way, Ana can sleep you, Mei can go hide in her shell for the duration of it, doing it over a Junkrat is a free death cause marytrdom, etc. If you don't die immediately, they can do a lot to get you out of their way.

Competently using Death Blossom for quad kills and such where you actually were the reason for them instead of kill stealing is *very hard* in competitive and requires awareness- the other team will always have at least one person who can shut down this great reaper tool.

There are Soldiers and McCrees on console who constantly killed me. It depends on the players. Some are just better aiming with them than others. I dunno how your team does with them and I know you only play Reaper. But Soldier has aimbot Ult which takes down Pharah with ease. If your existing team has issues against Pharah then invite me to a future Comp session and let me handle Pharahs for you.

I still don't understand the need for a radar. How hard is it? The maps are fucking small, and mostly linear. The things I have the most trouble with is the vertical routes and knowing where to best flank. A radar or map won't help with that at all because of layering.

I think most gamers have just gotten use to it always being there. If you look at any major popular shooter today, there is always some form of radar. This is generally used to help lesser skill players compete. I’m against radar in most games because instead of relying on your own situational awareness and skill, you're just looking at the bottom corner of your screen on when to make a play or move. But enough of my radar rant, it’s not in this game, so that’s a good thing!

LiK

I still don't understand the need for a radar. How hard is it? The maps are fucking small, and mostly linear. The things I have the most trouble with is the vertical routes and knowing where to best flank. A radar or map won't help with that at all because of layering.

People who want radar are probably not even paying attention to the audio cues and sound of the enemies. There's really no need for radar at all in this game. People will just end up staring at the radar most of the game instead.

Soulflarz

Banned
There are Soldiers and McCrees on console who constantly killed me. It depends on the players. Some are just better aiming with them than others. I dunno how your team does with them and I know you only play Reaper. But Soldier has aimbot Ult which takes down Pharah with ease. If your existing team has issues against Pharah then invite me to a future Comp session and let me handle Pharahs for you.

Go for it. Though I do play others occasionally now!
Didn't invite you tonight because we...-
well, actually, he doesn't read GAF, can post it in here

Didn't want to derank people, by the time we grabbed others we went 1-3 (5-0 testing stuff beforehand, that's how I ended up 2 regardless)
Hilariously we ran into antitrop in randoms yet again.
But yeah we were playing with that one friend who has a huge rank difference on us so we were seeing if we could reasonably keep up with that still.
edit: Not that it was an awful situation or anything, I just didn't really want to invite people and feel awful as we went really bad- we went on a losing streak from 67->63 the past few days

I really should get ahold of the console version sometime just to see how different it is.

I might buy PC for this reason too.

Gator86

She dies too easy already when hit directly a few times. If your team can't handle a Pharah then you should practice with heroes that can hit from range instead of wanting to nerf her. She's pretty balanced already.

I mean, I'm ranked in the high 60s on console and people still can't hit her. It's not just people can't aim well. She spends most of her vulnerable time directly above you, requiring not only good aim, but also you looking away from the rest of the fight while she's pelting you with rockets and bouncing you around with her push.

I didn't say anything about a nerf. I simply asked what her counter was. Pharah main defensiveness is real.

LiK

Go for it. Though I do play others occasionally now!
Didn't invite you tonight because we...-
well, actually, he doesn't read GAF, can post it in here

Didn't want to derank people, by the time we grabbed others we went 1-3 (5-0 testing stuff)
Hilariously we ran into antitrop in randoms yet again.
But yeah we were playing with that one friend who has a huge rank difference on us so we were seeing if we could reasonably keep up with that still.

I'm on tomorrow night. Feel free to msg me on Twitter on estimated time you'll be on. I'll be ready. (After I remap the damn L1/L2 buttons for some characters after patch)

I mean, I'm ranked in the high 60s on console and people still can't hit her. It's not just people can't aim well. She spends most of her vulnerable time directly above you, requiring not only good aim, but also you looking away from the rest of the fight while she's pelting you with rockets and bouncing you around with her push.

I didn't say anything about a nerf. I simply asked what her counter was. Pharah main defensiveness is real.

Damn right. I've been killed often enough by some good players that it's more about player aiming and skill and not that she's all powerful. Solder and McCree are def good counters. Another Pharah can spend time distracting each other so the ground units can fight themselves. I also found that Roadhog's hook combo as well as a good Genji can take down Pharahs. Buffed Zen might be an issue now too with Discord and his long range balls.

So I just played a match on xbone against a junk rat who one shot a full health McCree and myself as Lúcio with one concussion mine. I was at full health, and on the load. What the fuck.

Moonkeis

I really should get ahold of the console version sometime just to see how different it is.

I been playing the PC version for 2 weeks now after starting with the PS4. It's definitely slower paced on the console but I'm just horrible at aiming with a controller in general.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's mostly because pharahs not being shot down on higher levels just sounds foreign to me.

I guess I wouldn't do too hot either because I'm unfamiliar with comp FPSes on console. :p

So I just played a match on xbone against a junk rat who one shot a full health McCree and myself as Lúcio with one concussion mine. I was at full health, and on the load. What the fuck.

You probably had a secondary source of damage that hit at the same time or very quickly before the mine because that's impossible.

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm on tomorrow night. Feel free to msg me on Twitter on estimated time you'll be on. I'll be ready. (After I remap the damn L1/L2 buttons for some characters after patch)

Tomorrow I think we're just doing Quick Play, a friend from our high school who left (yes, this never-ending friend group) just bought OW and isn't a 25 yet. We might do comp later in the night though, but no guarantees.

And Lucio L1 to jump is the secret to success :p

NimbusD

You were probably being shot at at thesame time by someone else. Or he had a grenade out before that and it just detonated.

LiK

Tomorrow I think we're just doing Quick Play, a friend from our high school who left (yes, this never-ending friend group) just bought OW and isn't a 25 yet. We might do comp later in the night though, but no guarantees.

And Lucio L1 to jump is the secret to success :p

Okay, QP is fine if you need one more. I dunno, I do fine as Lucio with default X. I'll try L1 for a bit and see.

Danj

While I can see why they did it and I get that it has made lots of people here happier, the one-hero limit on Competitive has caused other problems.

Your team's getting slaughtered and you need a specific hero to counter? Too bad, someone else on your team is already playing that hero (badly) so there's nothing you can do.

Even the rank system is still dumb, all they did was added tenths markers onto the scale so now you have a slightly better idea of how far down you fell when your team lost.

I think the problem I have with the rank system (other than the fact that ranks should be ordinal numbers!) compared with rank systems in other games such as Hearthstone, is that you have no way of knowing what you have to do in order to rank up. In Hearthstone it's simple, you have a number of stars per rank, you get a star every game you win (or 2 if you're on a winning streak bonus), you lose a star every game you lose, so you have a clear goal of how many games you need to win to rank up. In Overwatch there is no such measure.

I'm rank 43 in Overwatch, I'd like to be able to rank up but with the rank system as dumb as it is I have no idea how many games I'd have to win to achieve that (it's definitely more than one though).

Soulflarz

Banned
Okay, QP is fine if you need one more. I dunno, I do fine as Lucio with default X. I'll try L1 for a bit and see.

Yep, dunno whos on
If it's the full group + new one, we have 6, but can't guarantee all 6 are on.

And L1 is really really good for wallrun, since you can do better chains. It's actually impossible to chain wallruns and move camera fluidly on X without playing claw (can't move Camera and hit X at the same time)

...dunno who tried lucio at blizzard and thought that was okay.

Zekes!

I've switched all my characters to bumper jumper on PS4 now. Having jump on L1 is straight necessary for some characters

feels good

I watched the kill cam for my kill, and it Junkrat was solo. When he killed the McCree I was watching from a distance healing as Ana, and it was just Junkrat again. From 200 straight to 0, two seperate times in the same match. Wish I has a replay function to 100%. But it happened on two seperate equations, with no Nano Boost.

Soulflarz

Banned
I've switched all my characters to bumper jumper on PS4 now. Having jump on L1 is straight necessary for some characters

I refused to believe it until I tried Lucio and realized it's day and night for him.

"win and do well in a match" to rank up a lot. You can go a rank a game.
"get mostly carried" or have the opposing team push back hard to get less points

same applies on the other side- it's why hypothetically your friend who has 3 golds and held the objective loses 25% of a rank but you lose 80% in the same match.

Last night on Nepal I had 33 eliminations with D.Va and no deaths. I know there are rounds, but why doesn't the kill streak carry on?

I'm never going to get that 20 kill streak achievement.

LiK

feels good

I'll def need to remember to do this for Genji at least. Make him an annoying rabbit. So many annoying Genjis tonight. Might as well join in.

I'll also mess around with Lucio with bumper jump too per advice.

Zekes!

I refused to believe it until I tried Lucio and realized it's day and night for him.

"win and do well in a match" to rank up a lot. You can go a rank a game.
"get mostly carried" or have the opposing team push back hard to get less points

same applies on the other side- it's why hypothetically your friend who has 3 golds and held the objective loses 25% of a rank but you lose 80% in the same match.

I'll def need to remember to do this for Genji at least. Make him an annoying rabbit. So many annoying Genjis tonight. Might as well join in.

I'll also mess around with Lucio with bumper jump too per advice.

Lucio was definitely the starting point, but I would say for Pharah it's straight vital to map jump to L1. You can tell when people are playing her with default controls 'cause you can't hover and aim at the same time unless you have two right thumbs. Genji is definitely up there and I would even say it's helpful for Tracer.

Maddrical

As of this patch, I'd say McCree is a pretty solid counter. I played a lot of Pharah the last couple of nights and his new range is incredibly frustrating to deal with. 3 quick body shots and justice is no longer raining. Had a lot of trouble with Widowmakers & Zenyattas too.

LiK

Lucio was definitely the starting point, but I would say for Pharah it's straight vital to map jump to L1. You can tell when people are playing her with default controls 'cause you can't hover and aim at the same time unless you have two right thumbs. Genji is definitely up there and I would even say it's helpful for Tracer.

Pharah hover was already mapped to L2 by default so I always used that after I found out early on.

Sande

So Symmetra sentries on PS4/XB1 got nerfed just like Torb but I don't see why people is making a big deal?

I mean if players can't take out Torb's prenerf turret due to controller aiming how can they take out Sym's 3 to 6 even smaller hitbox sentries fast enough that it doesn't kill them because of controller aiming?
It's not that we can't take them out. It's just that all the turrets are autoaim and therefore just as good as on PC, unlike anything that requires player input. So if they're balanced on PC, they're automatically OP on consoles.

That said, I'm not sure about nerfing Symmetra's turrets.

I-hate-u

Re: Pharah nerf

I don't think she needs a full nerf on console necessarily. 25 less HP might go a long way or something (though I doubt it), but it's not the real issue. The issue is no one can counter her at all on console- it's not something a nerf can change. She fundamentally is very obnoxious to deal with on consoles.

Don't nerf my main pls.

In all seriousness, with this patch especially, there are even more counters to Pharah. Soldiers, Widowmakers, Hanzo etc all can shut her down effectively, and with the patch, Mecrees and Zens.

LiK

Symm turrets weren't that strong anyway so nerfin seems excessive. Altho I'm not sure how much they were nerfed. They still killed some dudes for me tonight so maybe they're not as heavily nerfed as Torb? Btw, I joined a game and someone who played Torb had most eliminations so I'm guessing his turret can still do well. It just won't kill as quickly anymore. He's still viable.

Zekes!

Pharah hover was already mapped to L2 by default so I always used that after I found out early on.

Yeah I always forget about that. Does L2 cause you to jump? I remember it not feeling right which is why I remapped in the first place.

Imo, the best counters to a Pharaoh on console would be Mcree, D.va, or Zenyatta. Mcree can stun Pharaoh as she floats back down, D.va can get in Pharaoh's face easily, and Zenyatta can snipe her without the need for really accurate aim.

LiK

Imo, the best counters to a Pharaoh on console would be Mcree, D.va, or Zenyatta. Mcree can stun Pharaoh as she floats back down, D.va can get in Pharaoh's face easily, and Zenyatta can snipe her without the need for really accurate aim.

DVa can also annoy the shit outta Pharah even when Pharah's in the sky. She might not be doing a huge amount of damage but it distracts the shit outta Pharahs and and they tend to find cover because of it. I was just doing that today as DVa in a match.

Zekes!

I wouldn't go as far to say Winston is a counter but I have had some decent success in jumping up to weakened Pharah's up in the air and hitting 'em with that tesla cannon

Maddrical

I wouldn't go as far to say Winston is a counter but I have had some decent success in jumping up to weakened Pharah's up in the air and hitting 'em with that tesla cannon

I have definitely died to that, but on the contrary Winston is a great target for Pharah being as bulky as he is. If he's distracted or fleeing it's an easy kill.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Matchmaking keeps putting me with teams at ~57 rating. I was 53. Won one game, 54. Won another game, 55.

Ez mmr

(I don't know why it's doing this.)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
All these awful Anas and Zens who refuse to switch when they keep losing rounds is giving me a shot recover from the downward spiral I've been on this week. Went down 8 ranks this weeks and now I'm 3 away from fully recovering.

BigDug13

Pharah has a hover button and a jump button that when held will also hover. I think that's why people map jump to L2 because that way you also get jump elevation for free before hover fuel kicks in.

bigzgod

Zen doesn't even need to put in the damage, slap a discord orb on Pharah and suddenly all those small sources of damage she'd normally be able to escape from kill her. Zen was pretty bad before but now that he's actually pretty good, I think Pharah won't be used as often.

Anne

It's really astounding how different it is. Like first they had the Torb nonsense with console, and currently Pharah is getting deleted from the meta on PC while apparently she is still doing well on console?

Shit's just way different when you can't aim and center as fast in a game that moves at this speed. I'd bet decent money that Mei is significantly better on console too due to how much slower paced everything is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom