• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Banned
Zen doesn't even need to put in the damage, slap a discord orb on Pharah and suddenly all those small sources of damage she'd normally be able to escape from kill her. Zen was pretty bad before but now that he's actually pretty good, I think Pharah won't be used as often.

I'm so happy my friend is in love with Zenyatta
Day one? Zenyatta main.

IT ALL PAID OFF

Woke up this morning
Turned on PS4
See Overwatch patch being downloaded.

:0

Play a Match as Zen

MXaLbQk.gif

My boi

Anne

yup Mei is a major nuisance

Ye, on PC she is more or less a joke in any stand up fight outside of like D.Va. GosuGamers just put out a theory piece about Mei's utility being particularly good at slowing things down, then she actually becomes hella useful once that happens. It's kinda true she works like that. On console things are slower by default and it's harder to just shoot her down so it would make since she's better on there.

Soulflarz

Banned
So tried being more aggressive to meis

Shoutout to all of you who informed me to stop wimping out as Reaper, Mei's don't really stand a chance :D

also am I crazy or did they turn the aim assist up to 11? I was tracking guys at ranges my shotguns would be hitting 1s at

Foxxsoxx

Didn't realize the patch would be coming this soon to consoles. Played a few matches tonight, really like where Dva is right now. Ana seems like she won't be too amazing on consoles, but time will tell.

duckroll

I'm on PS4, so any sniper is going to cost the team a game, lol.

Ana isn't really a sniper though, she just has a sniper rifle. Her scoped hitbox is so huge it's basically a spread shot!

But yes, she's awful for KotH. I love that one game where we had an Ana who wanted to "try the character out" and we got slaughtered the first round. I guess he was happy we let him play the whole round without being super rude, so the next round he changed, and we won the next two rounds. Lol.

maomaoIYP

Our team got all the cards at the end despite losing, Ana noticeably absent, strange.

This is so true. I can't even remember the last time I saw a widow pop up in a post game card on the ps4.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You're really supposed to work at the same range as mccree really.

And at that point you're basically shooting a healing shotgun because of how big the hitbox is.

Also word of advice to all the anas out there, the triangle on your scope is actually how big your shot's hitbox is.

As in its super generous.

Soulflarz

Banned

Our team got all the cards at the end despite losing, Ana noticeably absent, strange.
no

You're really supposed to work at the same range as mccree really.

And at that point you're basically shooting a healing shotgun because of how big the hitbox is.

Also word of advice to all the anas out there, the triangle on your scope is actually how big your shot's hitbox is.

As in its super generous.

This
Went into comp today with two friends
On offense friend one went zenyatta, one went ana

Was in no fear of dying ever, it was amazing in every regard. 3-0 until others joined up, then 3-3

It works very well even on ps4, it's pretty usable. Widow is not Ana.

"Sniper costs us the game" mentality is the cause of no one getting decent as a sniper on console :/

Ramirez

no

This
Went into comp today with two friends
On offense friend one went zenyatta, one went ana

Was in no fear of dying ever, it was amazing in every regard. 3-0 until others joined up, then 3-3

It works very well even on ps4, it's pretty usable. Widow is not Ana.

"Sniper costs us the game" mentality is the cause of no one getting decent as a sniper on console :/

Give me a break dude. If you think a level 60 Ana going up against a team of high 60s/low 70s is going to have any success on Ilios, pass the pipe please. FIVE rounds and this guy never changed once, just wasting everyone's time.

A sniper on console KOTH is a waste of a slot, plain and simple. I don't care if that sniper can headshot or heal you, there are roughly 17 better picks you could make.

Antiwhippy

Like i said though, you should not be sniping at all most of the time as ana. Hip fire is super effective. I only go scope if i want to heal our pharah in the sky or genji at the back.

As for her viability on koth, nano boost can break points almost as good as graviton surge. Maybe even better.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Guess it's to be expected with day one of a new character and a lot of the quick play matches I was in were mostly fucking around, but MAN the random Ana players I saw just completely lacked any game sense. Ignoring healing to keep shooting at the enemy, ignoring callouts for ults being ready as genji just to give it to a dva for the third time that match, or popping it when nobody is even nearby, lol.

Still, she has a super fun kit. Dva and Zen changes are also great and I'm having a blast with them right now.

Ramirez

Like i said though, you should not be shipping at all most of the time as ana. Hip fire is super effective. I only go scope if i want to heal or pharah or genji at the back.

It's not as if hip firing is easy with a pad on the non tanks when shit is hitting the fan.

I'm just kinda befuddled at this pushback over me having a problem with a guy corner camping in KOTH with a support sniper, lol.

Antiwhippy

It's not as if hip firing is easy with a pad on the non tanks when shit is hitting the fan.

I'm just kinda befuddled at this pushback over me having a problem with a guy corner camping in KOTH with a support sniper, lol.

Oh i got no problem people venting at bad players, like maybe he should go to qp first to learn her up, i just think it's a bit too hasty to write off her viability in koth just from a guy who doesn't seem to know how to play her.

Also if shit hits the fan throw your pee bottle. The bottle is super clutch and why she shouldn't be played as a sniper. Then fire into your group like Hanzo and let hitboxes take care of the rest.

ekim

Playing ranked with people in the same range like me (I'm 43 :( ) is basically quick play but more toxic. People still pick 2 snipers on attack on any given map... Nobody plays support. When I play with my friends who are all 53+ the games are most of the time completely different. I'm still going for solo-queuing in ranked from time to time :eek:

and I think I should only play Tracer from now on:
untitlednhscf.png

Cheers love

Sendou

Playing ranked with people in the same range like me (I'm 43 :( ) is basically quick play but more toxic. People still pick 2 snipers on attack on any given map... Nobody plays support. When I play with my friends who are all 53+ the games are most of the time completely different. I'm still going for solo-queuing in ranked from time to time :eek:

and I think I should only play Tracer from now on:
untitlednhscf.png

Cheers love

At least around rank 60 there is always someone that picks support. Still toxic af tho.

Jarate

Banned
I play ana like I play Zenyatta, except instead of discord orbing people your job is to make people who use ults a sleepy person

Oh i got no problem people venting at bad players, like maybe he should go to qp first to learn her up, i just think it's a bit too hasty to write off her viability in koth just from a guy who doesn't seem to know how to play her.

Also if shit hits the fan throw your pee bottle. The bottle is super clutch and why she shouldn't be played as a sniper.

That's the one thing about Ana, she has ridiculous abilities. In my view, they are pretty much the best non-ult abilities in the game. Her Biotic Grenade can easily turn any team fight and her Sleep Dart pretty much nullifies every ult in the game.

JJShadow

So I'm thinking about double dipping and buy the game also for PC (already have it for PS4) to play while I'm on holidays back home. My laptop is a bit old: i5-4200M, GTX765M, 8GB RAM. Do you think I'd be able to reach 60 FPS on min-med settings at 720p?

ekim

That's the one thing about Ana, she has ridiculous abilities. In my view, they are pretty much the best non-ult abilities in the game. Her Biotic Grenade can easily turn any team fight and her Sleep Dart pretty much nullifies every ult in the game.

Does interrupting an ult with the sleep dart also give the receiver back some of the ult meter like when you die early during your ult you get a certain percentage already filled up.

Anne

At least around rank 60 there is always someone that picks support. Still toxic af tho.

Even in the upper 60s/low 70s on PC it's extremely hard to get double support going sometimes. Kind of needed in most comps these days.

Also I had no idea how bad Widow's console stats are until today. Feels bad to see.

Sendou

Even in the upper 60s/low 70s on PC it's extremely hard to get double support going sometimes. Kind of needed in most comps these days.

Also I had no idea how bad Widow's console stats are until today. Feels bad to see.

Yea double support is like never but at least you can get a game going with just 1 and to be fair most of the time your enemy is going to be only running 1 too.

Ramirez

I have no clue why they brought the PC nerf over to console for her, she was already hard as hell to be good with.

Someone please tell me the Torb turret nerf is live with this patch on consoles?

Yes.

Anne

Yea double support is like never but at least you can get a game going with just 1 and to be fair most of the time your enemy is going to be only running 1 too.

I'm of the opinion that one support feels like absolute dogshit in most comps right now. I don't like running a comp I think is less than good hoping that the enemy team does the same D:

I feel like there's some weird undercurrent going on where in comp playlist people are thinking 4 DPS / 1 Tank / 1 Support is the standard team and they'll ask you to switch if you don't adhere to that. Feel like that is up there as one of the weakest standard comps in the game outside of some very specific situations.

I would like to take a look as well. Can you link me up?

https://watcher.gg/heroes;platform=psn

All that's there is W/L and average K/D but it's pretty shit just on those alone.

I have no clue why they brought the PC nerf over to console for her, she was already hard as hell to be good with.

Probably cause that damage pooped on Zen and stacked super hard into big targets too. There might be a happier place for her now that Zen is what he is now.

ekim

I'm of the opinion that one support feels like absolute dogshit in most comps right now. I don't like running a comp I think is less than good hoping that the enemy team does the same D:

I feel like there's some weird undercurrent going on where in comp playlist people are thinking 4 DPS / 1 Tank / 1 Support is the standard team and they'll ask you to switch if you don't adhere to that. Feel like that is up there as one of the weakest standard comps in the game outside of some very specific situations.

When I play with friends we are mostly a team of 4 or 5 so we can more or less control the team composition. Lucio is a lock and a second support is mostly either Zen or Symmetra (depending on the map), this is plus 2 tanks and 2 DPS. Of course it really depends on how the game goes and basically everyone of us knows it's role and objective which most people I play with on solo queue don't know.

Yesterday for example, I played a ranked match with randoms on Route66 and the enemy had a Pharah that was constantly boosted by a Mercy and basically destroyed us. We had a McGree and Soldier on our team but none of them targeted those two. When I kindly asked them to do so, I was told I'm a noob and need to shut my mouth. They also didn't want to change so I could play Soldier. *shrugs*

They didn't nerf her damage did they?

They did on the PC for body shots.

Veelk

Banned
I pretty occasionally play widow because I like the role of the sniper and....very seldomly....I have some good games with it. Even got a PotG twice (not that that means a whole lot as I feel they can be pretty random, but still).

I honestly don't know if she's underpowered in terms of damage, but I just cannot get consistently good at sniping. I tried finding the sweet spot for sensitivity and it's never a certain thing. The whole Hanzo hitbox thing has had me thinking of whether it'd be a good idea for Widow to have that kind of margin of error, atleast on consoles. But I don't like the idea of nonviable characters, and Widow is an especially tough character to find a sweet spot for.

Then again, maybe I'm just using her wrong. On a coordinated team, I imagine her use would be to be taking down enemies in chokepoints in collusion with her team. So, you don't get the kills herself, but she finds a spot she knows that enemies will go through and helps out in terms of damage while the team is the one who finishes them off. It's hard to find a safe spot to do that on the map....that and psychologically, I don't think any sniper wants to be the damage helper, even if that's the role they might excel at most with Widow.

Anne

When I play with friends we are mostly a team of 4 or 5 so we can more or less control the team composition. Lucio is a lock and a second support is mostly either Zen or Symmetra (depending on the map), this is plus 2 tanks and 2 DPS. Of course it really depends on how the game goes and basically everyone of us knows it's role and objective which most people I play with on solo queue don't know.

Yeah, when I get a more even full group going or did 1HL private games we ran Lucio / Mercy / Hitscan DPS / Situational DPS / Flex (usually tank / Rein or Zarya

KoTH we'd run 3 DPS/Zarya often too.

Feel like last patch this was the definitive "base comp" under 1HL, yours seems really similar too. Just branch out from there. I /think/ this new patch opens a lot more fun and more specialized stuff though so I'm hoping that is the case.

Solo queue we'll have a single Lucio and I'll go like Zen or something and get screamed at that "a second support is redundant" so I just switch. In that case I'd rather have a random that isn't going to be on tilt or throw and just try to get a carry going instead.

ekim

Yeah, when I get a more even full group going or did 1HL private games we ran Lucio / Mercy / Hitscan DPS / Situational DPS / Flex (usually tank / Rein or Zarya

KoTH we'd run 3 DPS/Zarya often too.

Feel like last patch this was the definitive "base comp" under 1HL, yours seems really similar too. Just branch out from there. I /think/ this new patch opens a lot more fun and more specialized stuff though so I'm hoping that is the case.

Solo queue we'll have a single Lucio and I'll go like Zen or something and get screamed at that "a second support is redundant" so I just switch. In that case I'd rather have a random that isn't going to be on tilt or throw and just try to get a carry going instead.

What you mean with Hitscan DPS? :eek:

Why do people scream when you pick Zen? He is a tank killer since the last update.
But yeah, people also are doubtful about my recent Winston picks which I don't really get. Especially on KOTH maps he is the most useful tank next to Zarya (and lately D.Va)

Ramirez

They didn't nerf her damage did they?

Fairly certain they did, I'm pretty sure a body shot no longer kills Tracer.

I don't play Widow much anymore outside of a random quickplay, so I can't speak with certainty. I'm actually fairly good with Widow, but as I said, I just always feel anyone could be doing that plus so much more on console with another character, lol.

Anne

What you mean with Hitscan DPS? :eek:

Just that you basically have to have somebody dedicated to playing a DPS character that has ranged hitscan on the team. Not projectiles, just somebody who can shoot at range and register hits instantly. Certain characters, like Pharah and Mercy, exist where you just have to have a solution on hand to deal with.

First ver this was Widowmaker, last patch it was Soldier, this patch it's McCree. Just whoever has the best ranged hitscan DPS will be almost autopick on any team. You only wouldn't see this when teams had more specific comps going or there was some map condition driving them into something else.

Like, McCree vs Soldier will be I guess an interesting choice to make this patch, but McCree is a bit overtuned and the raw damage is just valued more over Soldier's utility in most common situations :T

Alex

I got called a hacker tonight, I am so proud. Never in my life have I had it happen before! I mean, I don't know how hiding on top of a building and jumping down on the backline over and over again on Reaper makes you a hacker but I don't care, I'll take the compliment.

ekim

Just that you basically have to have somebody dedicated to playing a DPS character that has ranged hitscan on the team. Not projectiles, just somebody who can shoot at range and register hits instantly. Certain characters, like Pharah and Mercy, exist where you just have to have a solution on hand to deal with.

First ver this was Widowmaker, last patch it was Soldier, this patch it's McCree. Just whoever has the best ranged hitscan DPS will be almost autopick on any team. You only wouldn't see this when teams had more specific comps going or there was some map condition driving them into something else.

Like, McCree vs Soldier will be I guess an interesting choice to make this patch, but McCree is a bit overtuned and the raw damage is just valued more over Soldier's utility in most common situations :T

But McGrees projectiles have a certain travel time you need to take into account, no? Was this removed in the last patch?

Anne

But McGrees projectiles have a certain travel time you need to take into account, no? Was this removed in the last patch?

Nah, they never had that property. Just hitscan, if you click on a hitbox they deal damage. It might feel a bit wonky compared to some other games due to latency + tick rate, but I assure you it's straight up hitscan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom