• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sifl

Lol @ nerfing Symmetra. The idea of her being nerfed because "wahhh i'm playing with a controller, how counter?!?!" is especially hilarious because you could just switch to Winston and annihilate her. Next patch they will probably remove hero swapping.

abundant

Getting about 4k to 6k healing on Ana now. Definitely one of my new mains.

Zen is now one of my new mains. I'm still not doing too much damage. but my Assists and Heals are in line with what I usually get with Mercy. Transcendence is such a good ult now. Last night on Hollywood, I managed to pull off two 1K+ Transcendence, both times countering a Zarya's ult.

LiK

Lol @ nerfing Symmetra. The idea of her being nerfed because "wahhh i'm playing with a controller, how counter?!?!" is especially hilarious because you could just switch to Winston and annihilate her. Next patch they will probably remove hero swapping.

Winston, D.Va, Soldier, Junkrat etc can all take down sentries super quickly. So dumb. Who the hell whined enough for it to be a problem.

So hows Ana on consoles?

The 1 hero limit is also already in console right?

havent been on in awhile

She's flooding quickplay, and no one knows how to deal with her super yet.

Right now, on console non-KotHmaps, a nano'd Reinhart or Genji basically means congrats on your object capture or payload checkpoint.

Them healing is totally hit or miss (heh)...

I played a game with two Ana's on my team and didn't get a single heal the whole game as a Roadhog and Pharah.

But I know she has potential. My wife and I played a game in a group of 6 last night with her as Mercy and me as Ana. She ended the match with like 4,700 healed, and I silvered at 3,900 healed. It was a pretty quick attack on King's Row.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The more I play with junkrats against my side and on my side in koth the more I feel like he's a liability than an asset. Denying an area is good and all but direct damage is so much more preferred in the game now. Plus no he can't even do that with Dva in the scene. And he's pretty much a free kill to reaper.

I gitta give credit to blizzard, they fixed the Mei bug ASSP last night.

---

So any thoughts on how the new character and balance changes will affect competitive? I feel like Ana provides a useful counter to the previously default mercy/Lucio combo

abundant

She's flooding quickplay, and no one knows how to deal with her super yet.

Right now, on console non-KotHmaps, a nano'd Reinhart or Genji basically means congrats on your object capture or payload checkpoint.

Them healing is totally hit or miss (heh)...

I played a game with two Ana's on my team and didn't get a single heal the whole game as a Roadhog and Pharah.

But I know she has potential. My wife and I played a game in a group of 6 last night with her as Mercy and me as Ana. She ended the match with like 4,700 healed, and I silvered at 3,900 healed. It was a pretty quick attack on King's Row.

Don't forget her sleep dart. Really useful for putting down a Bastion or stopping a nano boosted Reinhardt. Of course, it only works if you're playing with players smart enough to not wake up the sleeping targets.

LiK

The more I play with junkrats against my side and on my side in koth the more I feel like he's a liability than an asset. Denying an area is good and all but direct damage is so much more preferred in the game now. Plus no he can't even do that with Dva in the scene. And he's pretty much a free kill to reaper.

You must play with shitty Junkrats. Play with me if you have a PS4 version.

Man this shit is just impossible sometimes. It's 2-2 and 2 people leave even though we capped the points way quicker than the other team.

Agreed.

Interfectum

The Symmetra nerf makes no sense and Kaplan going to have to explain it. Why did she deserve Torb's nerf? No one was complaining about her turrets.

DrArchon

So any thoughts on how the new character and balance changes will affect competitive? I feel like Ana provides a useful counter to the previously default mercy/Lucio combo

Ana and Zen should both see a lot of play, but Lucio and Mercy are still really good so we're going to see a lot of different support combinations I feel. I imagine most of them will still have Lucio in them just because his AoE healing is so strong. Still beats every team having Lucio/Mercy as the default support core.

Bunch of teams have been playing Zen already a lot. His ult is a lot better now, and he's still a beast at killing people, especially with discord being a lot closer to "instant" now.

Ana I guess we'll see, she does counter Zen ult pretty decently, and her sleep counters a bunch of annoying stuff too, plus her ult is stupidly strong without requiring a hard setup like graviton > rocket barrage. Just ult Genji or Soldier and pewpew. Can also just ult Reinhardt and he'll make way, really annoying to stop unless you have Ana yourself or like Roadhog ult to push him away.

I think the main issue atm with competitive is McCree was buffed enough that there's basically no reason to not go with him every game regardless of map or strategy.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The more I think about it the more the Symmetra nerf bugs me. She's one of my most played characters and I was already finding that I had to be more creative with the turret placements, the common spots get blown through quickly and she's already the super situational hero that basically loses all of her value beyond the first point. Now she has shields which always felt eh, turrets that tickle you (and are still tied to that cooldown), and an ult that is basically useless after the first point.

Plus McCree is kinda lowkey disgusting against her and he'll be seen a lot more. Flashbang through a doorway and watch the turrets all die.

Something I've noticed with my Junkrat is that I'm in the very upper echelons of solo kills and final blows with him (top 4% for both), which surprised me. I think most people can churn out a ton of damage with him ... but if you aren't getting elims in Overwatch, you risk feeding ults. Getting someone to a sliver of health and letting them escape isn't much better than not attacking them at all.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You must play with shitty Junkrats. Play with me if you have a PS4 version.

I think I've played with and against some pretty good junkrats. The problem is that he's still a free kill to tracer and reaper and now that I've played a lot of DVa she basically nullifies the thing he's supposed to be doing. I basically vacuum up those grenades.

This is specifically KotH.

Also I'm getting so many DVa PotG in ranked. So many.

Soulflarz

Banned
Awake again

Give me a break dude. If you think a level 60 Ana going up against a team of high 60s/low 70s is going to have any success on Ilios, pass the pipe please. FIVE rounds and this guy never changed once, just wasting everyone's time.

A sniper on console KOTH is a waste of a slot, plain and simple. I don't care if that sniper can headshot or heal you, there are roughly 17 better picks you could make.

You can't discredit two entire characters as being worthless on console. Ana does not need some crazy aim. Widow is very hard, but yes, some can use her. Just because you had a bad one doesn't mean all of them are bad or the fact you're on PS4 is your issue.

also yep reaper>junkrat, "don't let him close" doesn't apply if the reaper is doing his job right and not being seen early enough.

Palmer_v1

Console players aren't flipping out about Zenyatta as much as PC players.

Is this the first game that's had different balance updates on different systems? It just feels like new territory, and I was kind of wondering if it should be split into two communities or anything?

It's going to get confusing when people discuss things that aren't true in different versions.

DrArchon

Zen is way harder to kill now. I didn't play him last night.

Honestly, adding 50 HP was a needed buff but making that 50 points of shields might have been overkill. I think I can count on one hand the numbers of times in the past couple of nights that I've been at less the full health for any real period of time. I almost never seen people get through his shields enough to actually do damage to his HP, and if that happens it's usually enough to just kill me outright. Zen is either at 200 HP or he's dead. There's no real inbetween.

Rad-

Where is everyone on PS4? ;_; I want to test the balanced cowbow shooting man in a group. But not many people online.

Even before the nerf, a single Torb couldn't carry the defense, unless they were playing against a really bad team.

There are a lot of really bad teams I've played with lol Players that rush to their deaths without destroying the turret or potshot the enemy team from the main entrance because they're scared of the turret or something.

LiK

I think I've played with and against some pretty good junkrats. The problem is that he's still a free kill to tracer and reaper and now that I've played a lot of DVa she basically nullifies the thing he's supposed to be doing. I basically vacuum up those grenades.

I do the best as Junkrat in KOTH. Lots of POTGs there too. So yea, I think all the Junkrats you played with were bad. :p

Honestly, adding 50 HP was a needed buff but making that 50 points of shields might have been overkill. I think I can count on one hand the numbers of times in the past couple of nights that I've been at less the full health for any real period of time. I almost never seen people get through his shields enough to actually do damage to his HP, and if that happens it's usually enough to just kill me outright. Zen is either at 200 HP or he's dead. There's no real inbetween.
I think they could turn 50HP back to normal health and maybe tweak either his basic damage or the Orb of Discord effect down slightly and he'd be fine.

On the other hand, I'm happy to see him getting his day in the OP sun.

Blizzard

Banned
I've only played Ana a little, but one annoying thing is that with no mobility, you're dead if you're near the fight.

But if you stay back from the fight, thinking you'll use your sniper power to heal teammates, they tend to hide FROM YOU around corners so you can't heal them anyway.

Also I've been told she can't headshot.

LiK

Hoping for PC version to go on sale cuz unless all my unlocks carry over crossplatforms, I don't wanna pay MSRP for double dipping atm

DrArchon

I think they could turn 50HP back to normal health and maybe tweak either his basic damage or the Orb of Discord effect down slightly and he'd be fine.

On the other hand, I'm happy to see him getting his day in the OP sun.

I think making his health 100 HP 100 Shields would be enough. His damage is fine I feel for a non-hitscan weapon without a great rate of fire, and Discord is easy enough to avoid/mitigate (all you need as a Reinhardt/Winston/Zarya really).

But yes, I do appreciate being able to play as Zen and not fell like a liability.

Soulflarz

Banned
Console players aren't flipping out about Zenyatta as much as PC players.

Is this the first game that's had different balance updates on different systems? It just feels like new territory, and I was kind of wondering if it should be split into two communities or anything?

It's going to get confusing when people discuss things that aren't true in different versions.

Guessing most Zens aren't that good
Then again, not posting that directly against anyone in here

OWs ranking system is stupid

Basically it leads to everyone being "I'm good" or "I'm bad" if they're 35-50 or 50+ respectively, even if 55 vs 65 is an ocean apart in skill.
It works on an individual level but it kind of reminds me of rocket league when I got into top 5% range (mid blues)- you still had a lot of people who were average shouting about their aerials making them a top 3% player even if statistically they were barely at the halfway point, if that.

I don't like rank systems that don't show how good people really are.
Numbers are too tight.

LiK

i don't mind Zen's buffs. I don't find him easy to play in the first place. At least now people can stop complaining about using him since he's so much stronger now.

BigDug13

I think Zen is more powerful on consoles due to aim assist. I seem to get way more kills on PS4 than I do on PC (maybe people can juke easier spamming adadad on PC compared to the analog stick with deadzone and slow spots on console as well). People aren't really calling him OP on the PC version. I'm not sure what they can do to fix it on console while keeping him as is on PC.

Sendou

For McCree I'd like for them to make FTH stronger again. He is supposed to be the anti-flanker so I don't think it's unreasonable that flashbang + FTH kills Reaper for example.

Kysen

The quality of comp games gets better the higher you go wow. A farcry from the hell I was stuck in rank 47.

Just had one round on hollywood where we got demolished(pug), then one dude says over the mic "why aren't people saying anything?". Turns out everyone on the team had a mic and we proceeded to steam roll the enemy team. I kept getting matched with the same people and managed to reach 60.

I don't like rank systems that don't show how good people really are.
Numbers are too tight.
I think they're aware of this and will probably tweak the system to make the spread a little wider in season 2.

In many ways, Overbuff gives you much better insight into how good you are, especially since the sample is probably "better" than average (because it's self-selecting dorks who care about their numbers).

Soulflarz

Banned
For McCree I'd like for them to make FTH stronger again. He is supposed to be the anti-flanker so I don't think it's unreasonable that flashbang + FTH kills Reaper for example.

It actually does! You just need to hit it all. Flashbang does 10hp. Fan the hammer does 40 a shot, 6 shots. 10+(6*40)=250, a full reaper hp bar. For larger guys, just roll and shoot once after.

I think they're aware of this and will probably tweak the system to make the spread a little wider in season 2.

In many ways, Overbuff gives you much better insight into how good you are, especially since the sample is probably "better" than average (because it's self-selecting dorks who care about their numbers).

Going to start using overbuff. "Top 5%" is a very useless number to me on masteroverwatch.

Zen is way harder to kill now. I didn't play him last night.

He still felt pretty squishy to me last night. I had one or two good games with him but enemies were targeting me something fierce whenever I rolled with him. Could be because my team was always running off leaving me to fend for myself and Zenyatta is not made to take on enemies solo.

I don't really have problems with Tracer or Reaper as Junkrat. Of course I keep my concussion mine handy at all times and will throw and blow it right in my own face so I go flying away to escape any ambushes.

Most of my deaths as Junkrat are usually from the other team's Junkrat. Or Pharahs.

Onemic

Dva is so good now that Im having trouble on finding times to play Zen. Now that I can reliably main two tanks (Zarya and Dva) Im often finding there's never a situation where playing a zen would make more sense on offense or defense. If no one picks support I'll still go mercy or lucio instead of zen.

https://www.overbuff.com/players/psn/Gd4033

how does overbuff work
I'm in the top 1% for reapers (rather, top 150 QP, top 200 comp), but what does that mean exactly?

You are the 150th best reaper on PSN. QP is based on an algorithm. Rank and QP are seperate and not tied together I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom