• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

Hello fellow roadhogs.

https://www.overbuff.com/players/psn/Fatal_X_Fate

Though I don't "main" anyone since I like to feel pretty versatile overall, he's the most fun for me to play. Also tanking some of my character stats in the last day with these wacky ass Ana matches, lol.

I haven't played competitive that much but I'm way too annoyed by so many aspects of it for this season. But without stacking I'll try it more.

Roadhog is about as close as I've ever felt in this game of being able to carry a team by himself. I've held Volskaya B & Anubis B front lines down so good before. That's why I weep every time I play support and see a Roadhog cross over to their side of the choke point and get melted as they just stampede over the rest of us. ;(

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I mean... killing the healer first is kind of a staple when it comes to these types of games.

If you don't kill the Mercy, you're going to have a bad time. If she is hiding in the back, you're flankers need to be seeking her out. If she's with a group in the middle. Your damage dealers need to focus her down first.

if a hero has close to a 100% pickrate...you should be incentivising other heroes, not buffing that hero to make her baby-proof as well as indispensable. 100% pick rate means you designed a busted hero.

peakish

I don't understand the combat. I do a rush and pin someone and swing a bunch and can't kill them. They do one and the pin kills me instantly. Is theirs leveled up or something?
No levels. Their Rein could have a healing orb or some other type of healing. You could have a debuff (orb of discord). You could have taken damage while or before charging. They could be hitting the strikes while you might be missing.

Hard to tell, but there's a lot of things going on in the game. It's not easy to keep track of it all in the heat of combat. I know how it feels when characters feel OP when you face them but bad when you play as them lol

if a hero has close to a 100% pickrate...you should be incentivising other heroes, not buffing that hero to make her baby-proof as well as indispensable. 100% pick rate means you designed a busted hero.
What?? She is No where near 100% pick rate. That's absurd. Keep in mind, I'm pretty sure she's the only characters it's win rate less than 50%, it's not like the buffs make her invincible by any means. Just a tad bit more mobile. If she had a 100% pick rate, you'd see her every game, yet that doesn't happen, does it?

BigDug13

if her ult charges slower now, it's negligible, and resurrection is one of the most shittily frustrating and unfun ults in the game.

it's funny because, among the people i play with, the only discussions we were having wrt mercy was how they were gonna nerf her ult.

She basically has to hide and survive in order to res which means she has to stop healing people when the shit hits the fan and hide because keeping the healing beam going points out to the enemy team exacty where she is hiding. So now you have only 5 offensive players who are now no longer getting healed by Mercy just so the Mercy can pop up and revive everyone. Seems like a shitty way to play honestly, that's why I can't stand playing her.

Also the fact that she has to choose between healing a target OR providing damage buff OR dealing damage with her gun which is limiting while Zenyatta can heal half-Mercy amount WHILE debuffing targets WHILE dealing good damage. He can't escape like Mercy can, but still, I enjoy playing him much more and despite people shitting on his heals which are not half bad and calling him a shitty support class, I think he's one of the best. Softening up difficult targets with discord orb is so underrated.

Chitown B

No levels. Their Rein could have a healing orb or some other type of healing. You could have a debuff (orb of discord). You could have taken damage while or before charging. They could be hitting the strikes while you might be missing.

Hard to tell, but there's a lot of things going on in the game. It's not easy to keep track of it all in the heat of combat. I know how it feels when characters feel OP when you face them but bad when you play as them lol

True. Thanks!

Anne

I really dislike the word "flankers" as a character descriptor, and I really don't like seeing how it gets used a lot with this game :<

Most "flankers" are just mobile DPS heroes. Mobile DPS is supposed to do a lot more than flank and they can be described better ;~;

Ramirez

Isn't the amount of pinned damage based on how far you're taken with it? If you're dying and they're not, chances are their teammates are lighting you up as well while you're swinging at him.

Isn't the amount of pinned damage based on how far you're taken with it? If you're dying and they're not, chances are their teammates are lighting you up as well while you're swinging at him.
Something I just looked at said the charge did 50-300 damage, so it seems like it is based on that.

Edit: nvm, the guy below summed it up, my bad.

No, Reinhardt's tackle damage is static. Getting hit by it is 50 damage, getting pinned is 300.

Ramirez

No, Reinhardt's tackle damage is static. Getting hit by it is 50 damage, getting pinned is 300.

Damn, so I've been taking Roadhog & Zarya the extra distance all this time for nothing. Sometimes it even backfires and I run out of charge before I hit a far wall, hahaha.

Noted.

Prelude.

I've held down Anubis and Volskaya points B quite well with Symmetra before. I don't see why she should get banned.
Those are certainly better places, but I just had a horrible experience with a Symmetra that didn't switch on Hanamura B even though our team was clearly struggling to hold it. So we lost that round, the 4th one I think, and the match went on until we won the 6th by managing to hold point A, with no Symmetra that time.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
She basically has to hide and survive in order to res which means she has to stop healing people when the shit hits the fan and hide because keeping the healing beam going points out to the enemy team exacty where she is hiding. So now you have only 5 offensive players who are now no longer getting healed by Mercy just so the Mercy can pop up and revive everyone. Seems like a shitty way to play honestly, that's why I can't stand playing her.

Also the fact that she has to choose between healing a target OR providing damage buff OR dealing damage with her gun which is limiting while Zenyatta can heal half-Mercy amount WHILE debuffing targets WHILE dealing good damage. He can't escape like Mercy can, but still, I enjoy playing him much more and despite people shitting on his heals which are not half bad and calling him a shitty support class, I think he's one of the best. Softening up difficult targets with discord orb is so underrated.

her ult turns the fight into a 10 v 6, so who even cares that she's not healing?

it should either be channeled and heal them more the longer you hold it, or it should not heal to 100% at all. it's one of the least fun ults in the game.

BigDug13

her ult turns the fight into a 10 v 6, so who even cares that she's not healing?

it should either be channeled and heal them more the longer you hold it, or it should not heal to 100% at all. it's one of the least fun ults in the game.

I agree, I'm just saying I HATE playing a role like that. Hide and hit an ult seems like a shitty way to play this game as in, I would not have FUN while playing a role like that and so I refuse to play that class if that is the expectation. And even when you're not playing that role and get to heal or damage buff, you're choosing one of three options where Zen gets to do all three at once and never hide for some ult after everyone is dead. He's a lot more dynamic of a character to play for me.

Anne

Basically this. I think after the recent charge nerf, changes to Zen, and Ana being added in that Mercy isn't the best character in the game anymore and her ult is more than likely relatively balanced :v

Nerf it any harder and the character will just get deleted at this rate.

Are we posting Overbuff stats now? Cool. I'll use any excuse to post mine.

https://www.overbuff.com/players/psn/PolluxOil

I need to work on not dying as much, I think my biggest flaw is I don't know when to retreat. I keep thinking "I can win this matchup!" And then get out maneuvered or out DPSed or miss a shot and then die.

Also Overbuff's stats are a little weird. Like in my most recent quick play I went 0-2 but the stats for the actual characters show a win and a loss. Dunno how that works.

Those are certainly better places, but I just had a horrible experience with a Symmetra that didn't switch on Hanamura B even though our team was clearly struggling to hold it. So we lost that round, the 4th one I think, and the match went on until we won the 6th by managing to hold point A, with no Symmetra that time.

I've had horrible experiences with McCrees running around trying to be heroes and instead feeding the enemy teams ult charges rather than killing people. I've had low health characters literally just waltz into enemy ults instead of retreating and getting healed up (usually by me cause I often end up playing support).
It's already rare enough to find a Symmetra in the first place, let her niche be, even if that game of yours with her ended up going south. I also want to note that every time I played on Hanamura defense and used Symmetra on point B, we still ended up winning.

If you look at my stats I posted earlier, I do the single best with Symmetra out of all of the heroes I played with, and there's a reason for that. :p I also could say something reversed about people refusing to let me look at them so I can put a shield on them, as well. Or refusing to use my teleporter.

Prelude.

I've had horrible experiences with McCrees running around trying to be heroes and instead feeding the enemy teams ult charges rather than killing people. I've had low health characters literally just waltz into enemy ults.
It's already rare enough to find a Symmetra in the first place, let her niche be, even if that game of yours with her ended up going south.

If you look at my stats I posted earlier, I do the single best with Symmetra out of all of the heroes I played with, and there's a reason for that. :p
This is competitive. If you're the reason why your team is struggling, you need to adapt. You're not gonna magically start doing better at the 7th attempt, if something's not working, make it work in a different way. What you're describing is different, since it's just the way people behave, not the fact that they chose an unneeded character. It's like getting destroyed by Pharah and picking Junkrat to counter her, it's not gonna work.

And this was not the only occasion that a stubborn Symmetra made the game worse by refusing to switch, but since this time the match went on forever it would have been incredibly frustrating if we ended up losing.

MaKTaiL

"Can't Touch This" trophy glitched for me.

The Overwatch website says I've unlocked the achievement but the trophy on PS4 never came. I managed to prevent the enemy team from touching the payload quite a few times after that but the trophy is still not coming up. I'm afraid it has glitched for me since on my Overwatch profile it says I already unlocked it. Anybody else with the same problem? I don't know what to do anymore :(

Jarate

Banned
Im convinced the worse your internet, the betrter your junkrat, but the easiest way to take out a junkrat is just with a zarya. Her bubble just eats up those explosives and charges you up, and you just walk forward at him and can kill him really fast

God, fuck english homeowrk, I really want to play :p (and yes, posting on gaf is hurting me from completing said homework)

i think blizzard did this on purpose. when you put people to sleep they have their legs spread. i think we'll have articles soon if this picks up.

This is competitive. If you're the reason why your team is struggling, you need to adapt.

Of course. I'm not refuting your point. But you just flat out said "remove this character entirely from the game in situation X". I am just trying to tell you that this character can do well in situation X, and you having a bad or stubborn player is not to be blamed on the character.

Also: One single player is not very often the SOLE reason for an entire team to fail, even in competitive.

You're not gonna magically start doing better at the 7th attempt, if something's not working, make it work in a different way. What you're describing is different, since it's just the way people behave, not the fact that they chose an unneeded character. It's like getting destroyed by Pharah and picking Junkrat to counter her, it's not gonna work.

And this was not the only occasion that a stubborn Symmetra made the game worse by refusing to switch, but since on this occasion the match went on forever it would have been incredibly frustrating if we ended up losing.

You say "unneeded", but I couldn't disagree any further with you. Each and every character can do well, even in situations that they generally aren't exceeding at - for instance, the other day I was playing against a Symmetra on attack on Route 66, and her teleporter and ruthless chasing down of our Tracer and healer was what basically carried that team to victory.
It mostly depends on what the player using that character does. If your Symmetra is good at being Symmetra, let her be Symmetra and don't yell at her to switch to a character they might be worse at playing. Even in competitive play, I'd rather have a competent Symmetra on a map that's not favouring her than her switching to Pharah and just doing fuck all or worse, feeding.

Now if the Symmetra was shit, sure, feel free to complain. But there's a good chance they might've done just as badly or worse with a different hero.

Vitanimus

yeah, she's gonna get nerfed (i hope)

biblio_zps23dff242.gif
not when she's finally usable

what about her would you nerf?

Jarate

Banned
I don't see how you can say Junkrat is terrible. He's the 9th most used character on PC competitive.

He's on the low end of K/D, but that's to be expected from a character that's more about burst damage on single targets, and one that doesnt have an easy to use and consistent movement mechanic

Kysen

Lol I just found out that starting the game in offline mode puts me on the US servers instead of EU. I was wondering why matching was taking longer and why everyone had a US accent.

Well, I mean... he's not the type of tank that just stands in front of the payload and soaks up damage. So I guess in that sort of way?

It's basically the logic that if they're not being protected from fire 24/7 it's not a tank. Same people also think Symmetra isn't a support hero because she can't heal teammates.

still terrible with hanzo's ult. i should learn which direction would make them run the wrong way or something. i wasted so many and haven't even touched them. awkward.

ksan

In what way? I consistently have gold medals in damage and eliminations when I happen to choose him, so he's clearly a viable asset to the team. But yeah, he is incredibly annoying.

how is he annoying? its practically a free win if youre up against him
i mean his main escape is a gl jump that gets completely owned by any mcree thats not awful, junk always commits to a spot thats easy to get around with the new buffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom