• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

Anyone on console been getting these "server closed due to an unexpected error" messages since the patch?? Happened to me like 5 times now.

Had a marvelous comeback earlier. Thought we were doomed after a total annihilation in the first round defending Talking their entire team was on fire. Second round was hard fought and we barely passed in overtime. In sudden death we lost the coin flip and had to defend; things were looking dire. Somehow we managed to pull it off with once well placed ultimate. Super satisfying victory.

maomaoIYP

DVa is completely on another level now. 4 gold medals, and potg too.
tHmumNB.jpg

Is the overtime timer bugged? Because I was on Ilios with our team fighting back on overtime and capping the point and the game just up and decided to give the other team the game while we were still capping

Then they went on to win the game.

ISOM

I can't take this shit.. Carrying a team 3 fucking times and being surrounded by morons 3 times.. Lossing 3 straight and back down to 44..

For reference.

Game 1: Tracer/Dva : Elims 45 Obj Kills 25
Game 2: Zenyatta/Junkrat Elims 49 Obj Kills 20, Healing 9k(1 round as zen)
Game 3: Tracer: elims 48 obj kills 20 damage 13k

Its always 1 asshole playing Ana or Hanzo.. You beg them to not do it, but they still do.

KAAAAHHHHNNNN

It happens in the 50s too man. I went from 46 to 55 back down to 50 before slowly climbing back up due to these people. I'm trying to figure out a time where there are serious adults playing comp to win.

exYle

I've got a weird glitch on PS4 right now... When I look at my social list, nobody's player icons show up and I don't have any option to join their games or groups, only invite. Anyone else seeing this?

Soulflarz

Banned
Rule of thumb- try to improve yourself, not your teammates. Calling them 'fucking idiots' and such all the time doesn't improve the fact you just went 0-6, and at that point, probably isn't the key issue in the slightest. You will place well even with losses if you did well- in placement matches it was notable, and in current matches now you move entire ranks and lose quarters of ranks if you're outplaying your group.

What I'm trying to say is that the game is done in a way that enables people outplaying their group to rank with ease, so it shouldn't be a huge issue.

The stats you see don't perfectly reflect how you play- I've had games with 90+ kills where I've had the majority solo, and I've had games with 50 where I simply "tagged" the vast majority of my kills.

eek5

My D.Va is a beast!

https://www.overbuff.com/players/xbl/EteRnal PAL

Quick Play Medals - 2,032
Gold - 1,179
Silver - 540
Bronze - 314

Competitive Medals - 135
Gold - 85
Silver - 30
Bronze - 20

Gotta put some more time into competitive.

dva is really fun right now. You can survive for so long with def matrix change. Bait them into shooting, def matrix and charge/melee them while they're reloading. So awesome. I actually try to get back into my suit ASAP now instead of milking the pistol. Managed to get a 5 piece with her ult in my last game too. Feels good man

I wish I could separate my games played on dva before and after the patch on overbuff/masteroverwatch though ;_;

Wait, pretty sure it does?

Nope. It's like a projectile stream so it's only center at the furthest point. As you get closer it starts getting offset to the right.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
When you get that Dragonblade flank and break through the defenses just right.

The Bastion, Torbjorn, Reinhardt combo on point A of Anubis holding it down hard. All it took was the Bastion going out of place for a second and everyone got sworded. Torbjorn and his turret was first, Reinhardt was second, Dva was third, and Bastion, caught completely aloof, was last.

It was the kind of thing you live for when you play Genji. Like I don't even care about the kills. It was just using the ult at the right time and breaking through the defense hard for my team. No Mercy, no support iwth me.

finalflame

Rule of thumb- try to improve yourself, not your teammates. Calling them 'fucking idiots' and such all the time doesn't improve the fact you just went 0-6, and at that point, probably isn't the key issue in the slightest. You will place well even with losses if you did well- in placement matches it was notable, and in current matches now you move entire ranks and lose quarters of ranks if you're outplaying your group.

What I'm trying to say is that the game is done in a way that enables people outplaying their group to rank with ease, so it shouldn't be a huge issue.

The stats you see don't perfectly reflect how you play- I've had games with 90+ kills where I've had the majority solo, and I've had games with 50 where I simply "tagged" the vast majority of my kills.

Yup. Rule #1 of competitive play is you can only improve your own game, not your teammates' game. Focus on improving yourself, and learn to carry. Until then, take the loss and accept you're not good enough.

Learning this really helps in coming to peace with losses in competitive.

Soulflarz

Banned
Yup. Rule #1 of competitive play is you can only improve your own game, not your teammates' game. Focus on improving yourself, and learn to carry. Until then, take the loss and accept you're not good enough.

Learning this really helps in coming to peace with losses in competitive.

As someone who watched the Rocket League OT for months, I'm fairly certain some people aren't really able to come to this conclusion on their own- after all, no one wants to admit they aren't particularly the best at any given thing, especially something they put time into.

And it's not like something you can call out. "Look at this awful play by my teammates that lost us the game!" doesn't really leave us any room to tell someone that in reality the rest of the game probably mattered and perhaps in that very play they did something fundamentally wrong without coming off as aggressive to them.

finalflame

As someone who watched the Rocket League OT for months, I'm fairly certain some people aren't really able to come to this conclusion on their own- after all, no one wants to admit they aren't particularly the best at any given thing, especially something they put time into.

And it's not like something you can call out. "Look at this awful play by my teammates that lost us the game!" doesn't really leave us any room to tell someone that in reality the rest of the game probably mattered and perhaps in that very play they did something fundamentally wrong without coming off as aggressive to them.

Of course, it's definitely hard to admit. But when it comes down to it, it goes back to something I was told early on in my professional life: "Do not stress about the things in your life you have no control over. You cannot change those. Focus all your energy into the things you do have control over, and this will benefit you the most."

Sometimes teammates really are terrible, but there's nothing you can do about that. As infuriating as it is, shaming them will only make it worse. They also don't want to think they're wrong, so asking the Hanzo main who's contributing nothing to switch to a more useful hero is pointless, they'll just feel offended and play worse. What you can do is take the loss but play your best and focus on honing your skills, so that one day, it won't matter how bad that Hanzo is because your skill can compensate.

Also, just close the game when you're tilting. No use playing when you're emotional and debilitated. That one took me a while to figure out, but, yah.

darkwing

Of course, it's definitely hard to admit. But when it comes down to it, it goes back to something I was told early on in my professional life: "Do not stress about the things in your life you have no control over. You cannot change those. Focus all your energy into the things you do have control over, and this will benefit you the most."

Sometimes teammates really are terrible, but there's nothing you can do about that. As infuriating as it is, shaming them will only make it worse. They also don't want to think they're wrong, so asking the Hanzo main who's contributing nothing to switch to a more useful hero is pointless, they'll just feel offended and play worse. What you can do is take the loss but play your best and focus on honing your skills, so that one day, it won't matter how bad that Hanzo is because your skill can compensate.

Also, just close the game when you're tilting. No use playing when you're emotional and debilitated. That one took me a while to figure out, but, yah.

nice post, no need to stress yourself further and just play a game

LiK

Comp tonight was basically having a good Zarya on your team. whoever had a good Zarya was winning. I'm not good enough to play her in Comp but she's def an important hero for payloads and capture the points. she's such a gamechanger in pushing your guys along.

Soulflarz

Banned
shoulda played reaper if u wanted to carry.

zarya too

This is why I main reaper

Death Blossom is so easy to shut down, but if you get it just right, you can finish matches and go "wow, we totally lost that at the end there until I got 5 people in under 10 seconds"

Zarya can make a diff and a lucio refusing to die on KOTH can too.

edit: you can wallride on d va?
What o_O

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Dva dm shutting down death blossom and graviton surge is so delicious though.

Actually i really have to test this out. If you put the dm cone over the enemy reaper death blossoming, can he actually shoot out of it, or can dm basically contain it?

Soulflarz

Banned

Actually i really have to test this out. If you put the dm cone over the enemy reaper death blossoming, can he actually shoot out of it, or can dm basically contain it?

I think DM contains it....I think.

see, you should play other heroes to enjoy the fun.

I do~ I play reaper when I'm trying to win though, since it's such free points.

Soulflarz

Banned
i never saw you play other heroes other than McCree a few times. show me your skills in QP!

Well the main issue there is I don't really play OW besides comp with friends nowadays, so QP skills don't happen often

And yeah, I can kinda use McCree, I can use roadhog or a healer more effectively though. I should learn more though, you're correct.

LiK

Well the main issue there is I don't really play OW besides comp with friends nowadays, so QP skills don't happen often

And yeah, I can kinda use McCree, I can use roadhog or a healer more effectively though. I should learn more though, you're correct.

yea, keep up with their changes so you have a better idea of how to counter them. still waiting for a raven or plague doctor costume to drop before i play Reaper again.

dva is really fun right now. You can survive for so long with def matrix change. Bait them into shooting, def matrix and charge/melee them while they're reloading. So awesome. I actually try to get back into my suit ASAP now instead of milking the pistol. Managed to get a 5 piece with her ult in my last game too. Feels good man

I wish I could separate my games played on dva before and after the patch on overbuff/masteroverwatch though ;_;
D.Va was always fun for me, been playing her since day one (have around 80 hours of playtime on D.Va). With the new buffs, they changed the def matrix ability from being on RB to LT and you can now only cancel her boost with RT, whereas before buffs, she can cancel with both LT or RT. I got used to using LT. It took me about six to seven games to get readjusted to the new controls because of muscle memory. Another thing that took some adjustment is not being able to ult her mech with a high arc to surprise enemies because the mech blows up one sec faster now, so if you do a high arc, it'll blow up in the air not killing anyone. Not being killed by her ult though is huge.

Yes, D.Va's dm completely shuts down death blossom. I have used it many times to survive and because it absorbs it, my teammates behind me are able to fire away and finish him off while he's in the middle of it.

Something cool I learned was that if Pharah is ulting, at the cost of your mech, you can kill her by boosting towards her with the dm on and shutting it off before you run right into her and if she's aiming directly at you, the rockets will explode destroying your mech but the splash damage ends up killing her in the process. Or you can fly directly into her with dm and knocking her away and then finishing her off while falling in midair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom