• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copenap

Rule of thumb- try to improve yourself, not your teammates. Calling them 'fucking idiots' and such all the time doesn't improve the fact you just went 0-6, and at that point, probably isn't the key issue in the slightest. You will place well even with losses if you did well- in placement matches it was notable, and in current matches now you move entire ranks and lose quarters of ranks if you're outplaying your group.

What I'm trying to say is that the game is done in a way that enables people outplaying their group to rank with ease, so it shouldn't be a huge issue.

The stats you see don't perfectly reflect how you play- I've had games with 90+ kills where I've had the majority solo, and I've had games with 50 where I simply "tagged" the vast majority of my kills.
Was this ever confirmed? I still wonder if the rank points win/loss is only a 0/1 decision or if the individual performance has an impact.

When your heals are actually on point as Ana but every single player on your team runs past the Tracer that's been eating you alive all game, and camps your spawn. I'm loving Ana, but I end up switching to Lúcio 80% of the time so I can at self heal reliably, and don't have to worry about LOS by my own team.

Ramirez

When your heals are actually on point as Ana but every single player on your team runs past the Tracer that's been eating you alive all game, and camps your spawn. I'm loving Ana, but I end up switching to Lúcio 80% of the time so I can at self heal reliably, and don't have to worry about LOS by my own team.

She just seems so impractical as a healer on most maps. I think they'll end up having to give her a mobility option like the other snipers.

Zomba13

She just seems so impractical as a healer on most maps. I think they'll end up having to give her a mobility option like the other snipers.

And the other healers (Lucios speed boost/wall ride and Mercy's fly-to-buddy).

I mean, Zen doesn't have one, but yeah.

I thought Mercy's Ult was being nerfed somewhat? I was seeing a lot more last night than ever before. A few times within the first minute of the game. Absolute nonsense.

Ana's pretty cool. People need to be aware what her sleep dart does though. A couple of times I'd put a pumped up Reinhardt to sleep only for a Tracer to throw peas at him.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm seeing waaaaaay more Genji on console lately. Dunno if it's just people trying to wombo combo with Ana or what but it seems way more prevalent than before.

Ramirez

And the other healers (Lucios speed boost/wall ride and Mercy's fly-to-buddy).

I mean, Zen doesn't have one, but yeah.

Yea, I mean she is just so hard to be a consistent healer with compared to the set it and forget it feel of the others, lol.

LiK

I'm seeing waaaaaay more Genji on console lately. Dunno if it's just people trying to wombo combo with Ana or what but it seems way more prevalent than before.

yea, i noticed that too. did we miss some meta on Reddit or something? there seems to be an Ana x Genji Ult combo they keep using.

Thats the thing. Can't get good sight lines for heals, but when I am and are using them, someone decides to send Tracer after me. Doesn't help that it seems like 80% of my quick play matches on xbone have been against teams vs randoms. I've had so many sub level 25s, that I was ready to put my controller through my TV.

Anne

Disagree, her healing on most maps is fine. The problem is there's a skill ceiling and her healing potential is just flat lower than standard Mercy/Lucio.

In double support comps she has interesting possibilities mostly outside of healing though. People need to get this idea out of their head that support = healing and realize if you pick something like Zen or Ana you are giving up healing potential intentionally for something else. Ana has ranged hitscan damage + heal denial with AoE damage + best CC in the game + big dumb offensive ult.

Jury is still out on whether that utility is better than flat heals and Mercy/Lucio ult, but eh time and junk. Blizzard's classification of support is shit and leads people to try playing solo Zen or Ana when you just can't do that very often.

Blizzard's entire classification system is dumb as hell while I'm on this. What does "defense" even mean? Why is Sym a support when she has no healing? Why can't a character like Mei be classified as a support if Sym is? Makes no sense.

Ramirez

Disagree, her healing on most maps is fine. The problem is there's a skill ceiling and her healing potential is just flat lower than standard Mercy/Lucio.

In double support comps she has interesting possibilities mostly outside of healing though. People need to get this idea out of their head that support = healing and realize if you pick something like Zen or Ana you are giving up healing potential intentionally for something else. Ana has ranged hitscan damage + heal denial with AoE damage + best CC in the game + big dumb offensive ult.

Jury is still out on whether that utility is better than flat heals and Mercy/Lucio ult, but eh time and junk. Blizzard's classification of support is shit and leads people to try playing solo Zen or Ana when you just can't do that very often.

Blizzard's entire classification system is dumb as hell while I'm on this. What does "defense" even mean? Why is Sym a support when she has no healing? Why can't a character like Mei be classified as a support if Sym is? Makes no sense.

I don't disagree with anything you said. Just from my experience on ps4 thus far, I can't see her healing ever playing much of a factor outside of the grenade.

Soulflarz

Banned
Was this ever confirmed? I still wonder if the rank points win/loss is only a 0/1 decision or if the individual performance has an impact.

100% confirmed. I've played with 3 friends since day one. We did our 10 matches together, went 6-4
I was 57, one ended 49, another 53, and I think the other was 55?

Individual performance matters a lot. Hell, we've been same ranks before and seen one persons bar move a quarter and another a full rank in the same match.

This is a major reason why I get sick of "people all suck I'm playing outside my skill level!" because you'll be ranking up fast and losing very little- it's very hard to stay way under your level for too long.

also yes defense vs offense makes no sense since a lot of the maps defense reaper kills offense reaper due to opponents having chokepoints you can die die die on while they get in.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, even right now i feel like rank gain factors in individual performance now, but i think they actually measure your performance versus comparable performances of the character you're playing.

Like right now my dva gains are massive. Meanwhile I'm winning quite a bit with roadhog but i get less rank gain, and i like to think that I'm a decent roadhog but probably not the best in the world.

Anne

I don't disagree with anything you said. Just from my experience on ps4 thus far, I can't see her healing ever playing much of a factor outside of the grenade.

Idk enough about console really to say, but I will argue I think Ult + sleep dart are super duper strong. If landing a coordinated sleep dart on reaction to something going off is too hard on console then yeah that shit suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

Ramirez

Idk enough about console really to say, but I will argue I think Ult + sleep dart are super duper strong. If landing a coordinated sleep dart on reaction to something going off is too hard on console then yeah that shit suuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

I slept a few Ults last night, but yea, it's pretty easy to miss compared to the hook for example, lol.

Soulflarz

Banned

It's not, people throw sleep darts to counter stuff all the time even in QP.

Zomba13

Yea, I mean she is just so hard to be a consistent healer with compared to the set it and forget it feel of the others, lol.

Yeah. I mean it's possible, but hard, to get the healing output of the others, especially so when you can't zip out of danger to a bulky buddy, or skate on walls/speed away. And she has a harder time getting to vantage points than other snipers (and some she can't even get to, unless you have help from some Mei's building you a ladder).

soooo i am not sure i will be able to get into season 1 competitive because i am low level and don't get much free time to play so i was wondering, do we know if the rewards will be locked out when it ends?

Soulflarz

Banned
when you picked lucio so much people expect you to pick lucio forever. RIP RIP RIP

shoutout to my GAF/hs friend who will forever be stuck being the best lucio I know and therefore will never be anything else in comp :3

remember, you're here forever

(Jk he plays ana sometimes, but still :p)

BigDug13

when you picked lucio so much people expect you to pick lucio forever. RIP RIP RIP

Yeah I'm trying to make Zen my new main but I have so many hours on Lucio. I would have played Zen more if he had always had these abilities and 200hps. Between Widows one shotting you and Tracers killing you in a single clip, he was basically junk at 150hps.

NimbusD

Honestly symmetras biggest strength is that people underestimate her and I think that's mostly because of her support clsssification. She does great damage and if she in the middle of a Frey and you don't deal w her immediately, her weapon will power up fully and mow through your team. But people don't focus on her in those situations so it's easy to do.

But I def get that she's support because of her abilities if nothing else, her shields, her portal and then even her turrets usually don't kill anyone by themselves.

Mei wouldn't be support because she doesn't do any specific things for her trams, her abilities slow down the other team (literally and figuratively).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Honestly symmetras biggest strength is that people underestimate her and I think that's mostly because of her support clsssification. She does great damage and if she in the middle of a Frey and you don't deal w her immediately, her weapon will power up fully and mow through your team.

Not only is she infiltrating brazil, she's also infiltrating the riverlands!

JJShadow

Got a quintuple kill and a sextuple kill with Dva in a row. What a glorious moment to be alive

giphy.gif

Finally two games of Overwatch for the night: first was a team of Roadhogs for the first round of KOTH, who slaughtered us. For the second, they switched to D.Va. Fucking annoying. And, yet again quick play against premades is ass. Second game, I had two Symmetra on King's Row. This bewildered me, as she just got a huge Nerf. Why would they pick Symmetra I pondered? So they could both spawn Teleporters at the edge of the only place you can fall on that fucking map.

Goddamn it Overwatch.

Anne

Mei wouldn't be support because she doesn't do any specific things for her trams, her abilities slow down the other team (literally and figuratively).

In my mind (and I see this line of thinking from top players too) there are really on 3 classifications of chars in the game at the moment:

DPS
Tank
Support

DPS are classes you pick to deal damage and kill junk, tanks mitigate damage or jand control engagements, supports enable the first two classes to do what they do better. Mei can't do either of the first two things well, but her kit lets her do the last one pretty okay. You can argue she is somewhere between support and tank on that list since she has high survivability and controls fights real well, but she doesn't have physical presence and still gets bursted.

Some chars get to do a bit of crossover at the expense of lacking other stuff though. Think it would benefit Blizz once more characters are introduced to rethink their classification system with those 3 bases in mind. Hell, split up the supports into "has heal" and "doesn't have heal" categories if they have to. Split up the DPS among the hitscan people and the projectile people, I don't even know. Just anything better.

Just think the current classifications are very misleading to new players or anybody wanting a decent idea on how to build the comp. It's not some game breaking complaint, it's all semantics really, but I do think it's dumb how we invalidated their system so fast.

Matt Frost

Overwatch got a lot better with the last update, A LOT BETTER. You cant have more than one of each character at the same time, people finally learned how to play, Hanzo is less annoying, DVA ult is much better... I am going to play it again (but only competitive)

Danj

Overwatch got a lot better with the last update, A LOT BETTER. You cant have more than one of each character at the same time, people finally learned how to play, Hanzo is less annoying, DVA ult is much better... I am going to play it again (but only competitive)

I'm guessing you're like 50-60-70 rank if you're actually enjoying competitive? Down here at the 40s it's sucktacular still. While the one hero limit does mean the opponents can't stack it also means if someone's playing a hero badly you can't switch to that hero to fix the situation.

Matt Frost

I'm guessing you're like 50-60-70 rank if you're actually enjoying competitive? Down here at the 40s it's sucktacular still. While the one hero limit does mean the opponents can't stack it also means if someone's playing a hero badly you can't switch to that hero to fix the situation.

I play in a team of 4 so we are kind of coordinated. Helps a lot. I never ever play Overwatch alone, is a mess.

52>66>55>59

After playing a lousy few days and falling 11 ranks, I’m now on the rebound it seems. I’ve won six straight and went from 55 to 59. It’s either I win a lot or I lose a lot. There’s no middle ground for me.

Bydobob

In my mind (and I see this line of thinking from top players too) there are really on 3 classifications of chars in the game at the moment:

DPS
Tank
Support

DPS are classes you pick to deal damage and kill junk, tanks mitigate damage or jand control engagements, supports enable the first two classes to do what they do better. Mei can't do either of the first two things well, but her kit lets her do the last one pretty okay. You can argue she is somewhere between support and tank on that list since she has high survivability and controls fights real well, but she doesn't have physical presence and still gets bursted.

Some chars get to do a bit of crossover at the expense of lacking other stuff though. Think it would benefit Blizz once more characters are introduced to rethink their classification system with those 3 bases in mind. Hell, split up the supports into "has heal" and "doesn't have heal" categories if they have to. Split up the DPS among the hitscan people and the projectile people, I don't even know. Just anything better.

Just think the current classifications are very misleading to new players or anybody wanting a decent idea on how to build the comp. It's not some game breaking complaint, it's all semantics really, but I do think it's dumb how we invalidated their system so fast.

You're over-thinking this. Game doesn't need to have identikit heroes that fit neatly into categories. Hero variety is precisely what keeps the game feeling so fresh and fulfilling. i don't think a single hero truly overlaps another and that diversity should be applauded.

There was talk over the last few pages of how MCree is a "mess" for instance, that he neither fits the flanker nor the sniper category, and I'm thinking... "and?" He has his own unique strengths as an attack hero and his stun/headshot combo is uniquely satisfying to play. Vive la difference I say!

Ivan 3414

Just came in to say Zenyatta is absolutely amazing right now.

The super fast healing/damage orbs alone make him a force. I also find myself using his secondary fire a lot more now. Its damage buff makes it way better now.

Ertai

52>66>55>59

After playing a lousy few days and falling 11 ranks, I’m now on the rebound it seems. I’ve won six straight and went from 55 to 59. It’s either I win a lot or I lose a lot. There’s no middle ground for me.

Same here, although i still have to up in rank yet. It's either getting stomped or doing the stomping, nothing inbetween

LiK

it's funny, i notice that when i play with randoms in Comp now, no one really starts picking until someone else does. it's like they don't wanna take someone's hero. i thought people would end up fighting for characters but the opposite occurs. usually people choose quickly but sometimes i end up choosing first or second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom