• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's funny, i notice that when i play with randoms in Comp now, no one really starts picking until someone else does. it's like they don't wanna take someone's hero. i thought people would end up fighting for characters but the opposite occurs. usually people choose quickly but sometimes i end up choosing first or second.

Its been a revelation so far, I'm hoping now the stacks have been removed skill will come into it more and i'll be able to rank up

Gotta sorta agree with Soulflarz here. I think Mariachi is funny, but I think Plague Doctor/Nevermore are vastly superior. Getting that skin would probably end up in me trying to learn playing Reaper.

Put me down for Mariachi regret as well, should have got Nevermore

ohkay

when you picked lucio so much people expect you to pick lucio forever. RIP RIP RIP
I've become used to this since it seems everyone else hates healing. Like half of my matches I have to heal, but I guess it's not so bad since I have a 62% win percentage with Lucio

Out of character is what i want though.

Because why would i want reaper's character.

I don't really care whether it's out of character or not, but I just think the raven skins look really cool, while the Mariachi skins look very silly. And while I can appreciate silliness (after all, I also like the Djinn skins for Zenyatta, for instance), I'd prefer cool looking skins.

That said, if I had the choice between Mariachi and Gothic Zarya, I'd take 5 Mariachi duplicates over getting Gothic Zarya even once. Alas...

Borden

Neo Member
Maybe it's because I'm old and have bad eyes but I try to pick which ever skin is the least likely to stand out. It doesn't matter as much when you're in the middle of everything but even it if 1 out of 200 times a flanker doesn't notice me because I kind of blend in, that's more than anything else I would've gotten from a different skin.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Nah, I need to let people know that I be stylin' all over their face.

Also god I love playing zen when the other team refuses to switch off winston.

Free kill all day erry' day.

No_Style

Lose thrice in a row in Comp with a full group of GAF folks in a miserable 2 hours. Then immediately win one Comp match with randoms before calling it a night.

It's not surprising but sometimes a full 6 with GAF is often outmatched against other full groups out there.

Foxxsoxx

Lose thrice in a row in Comp with a full group of GAF folks in a miserable 2 hours. Then immediately win one Comp match with randoms before calling it a night.

It's not surprising but sometimes a full 6 with GAF is often outmatched against other full groups out there.

Just because we know a lot about games, doesn't make us great at them :p

I have a group of friends that I play with that are pretty okay but nothing amazing, I know that feel.

Oh cool, in ranked a Mei blocked us inside the starting point with an ice wall, sat next to an arcade machine for 4 minutes, then left. Meanwhile as people start to leave I'm able to take 3-4 of the other team out at a time as soldier 76 but that's not enough obviously.

Actually managed to get a rank higher than I originally placed at

giphy.gif

Played attack Bastion for the first time today. Pretty fun.

Borden

Neo Member

A group of GAF is still kind of a random group. If you're going up against groups that often plays together, you're probably in for trouble. The better take away is, ideally, you're all getting better and no one is being a dick. Call outs, communication and team compositions/adjustments should be easier and give insight to more ways to get an advantage.

Borden

Neo Member
This game is very weird/dynamic. I've been on teams that get crushed on the first map of KoTH than go 3-0 without giving up a single point. Payloads that don't move at all until a minute left then it goes non stop through check points to the finish. Can't stop a payload at all then something happens and it stops dead.

Just came in to say Zenyatta is absolutely amazing right now.

The super fast healing/damage orbs alone make him a force. I also find myself using his secondary fire a lot more now. Its damage buff makes it way better now.

Absolutely. He's much more of an offensive weapon now with his additional shields and you're right, his secondary fire is much more useful. I liked him before but he's maybe my favorite character now.

Had a bunch of crushing defeats with a full 6 from GAF last night too. Like someone else said there isn't that much difference between a group of gaffers and randoms, sure we can communicate better but compare that to a group of 6 friends who aren't afraid to call each other out, know what works best for them etc. Practice makes perfect :)
But yeah for now I'm sticking to solo queue or groups of 2-3 where I feel like it's much easier to have an impact, like this play from my last solo game:
https://gfycat.com/ImpassionedDistantKingbird

I-hate-u

Y'all crazy. Mei has the best voice lines.

There is nothing more ameizing than her "Sorry sorry I'm sorry sorry" emote after blocking your teamates in a room with ice wall.

abundant

A group of GAF is still kind of a random group. If you're going up against groups that often plays together, you're probably in for trouble. The better take away is, ideally, you're all getting better and no one is being a dick. Call outs, communication and team compositions/adjustments should be easier and give insight to more ways to get an advantage.

Grouping up in Competitive Mode is a double edged sword. On one hand, you know that your team is competent enough to work as a team (for the most part) and not make stupid mistakes. On the other hand, the competition is tougher because the teams you will be facing are also grouped up.

Afro

Absolutely. He's much more of an offensive weapon now with his additional shields and you're right, his secondary fire is much more useful. I liked him before but he's maybe my favorite character now.

I hit 94th percentile maining him since the patch. I actually quit the game weeks ago b/c I just couldn't really find my groove w/ any of the heroes. Zen is the man and has a much higher skill ceiling than Lucio IMO w/ the constant debuffing/healing switching, leading shots w/ his projectiles, timing my ult at crucial moments, learning the best positioning for each map, etc. You're always doing something.

Lucio might be able to get a couple thousand more healing points per match than Zen, but Zen can put out some damage, but not too much. Perfect support. Tank melter.

Borden

Neo Member
Grouping up in Competitive Mode is a double edged sword. On one hand, you know that your team is competent enough to work as a team (for the most part) and not make stupid mistakes. On the other hand, the competition is tougher because the teams you will be facing are also grouped up.
Agreed 100%. I think though that playing with a group against better competition will help everyone get better quicker than just playing solo que. That's just my theory. Even it's see the other team do something you haven't thought of. Or having your team mention something that you've missed.

I play a lot as Mercy so seeing a good player helps me identify better players in solo que. Rein is one that has me tough for me to distinguish. Because the charge in and die Reins usually aren't good. The shield only Reins usually aren't good either. So playing in a decent group will help with recognizing those good players.

Also, if you're in a group the communication you learn will help if you continue to communicate in solo.

RemiLP

FINALY managed to crawl up to lvl 50 in competetive ps4. Feels good.

started out at 49 after Placement, but then i Just free falled down to 41 in a Few days, and stayed between 41-42. A few days ago i started winning most games, and kept climbing up to 50 now.

I know everyone loves to hate on how the ranking works, but imo it works pretty well. When i first got placed, i only knew how to play 1 character good, and that obviously wasnt good enough. Iv learned more now, and it leads to me winning more games since i can switch when needed, and it shows iin the ranks.

shiba5

You were missing Lucio. ;)

Soulflarz

Banned
it's funny, i notice that when i play with randoms in Comp now, no one really starts picking until someone else does. it's like they don't wanna take someone's hero. i thought people would end up fighting for characters but the opposite occurs. usually people choose quickly but sometimes i end up choosing first or second.

I find this amusing too. I think people only want the win, so what good is rushing to steal lucio or whomever if someone else is going to go on him immediately, as he's probably a main in that case.

Out of character is what i want though.

Because why would i want reaper's character.

H-hey now

Gotta sorta agree with Soulflarz here. I think Mariachi is funny, but I think Plague Doctor/Nevermore are vastly superior. Getting that skin would probably end up in me trying to learn playing Reaper.

Mariachi Reapers statistically do not do as well and should all feel bad
:3

Lulubop

Started playing Zarya yesterday and she's by far my favorite character. Easily. Glad I finally found someone I really like to play.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
since everyone (except mercy stans) is in agreement that resurrection needs a major nerf, what does everyone think it should be?

personally i think that 30% increased ult charge required is too little, it needs to be more like 200%

secondably, the invulnerability for the resurrecting team is too long; without putting down an ult (e.g. zarya) that catches them as soon as the invulnerability ends, they have priority to use their escapes etc.

abundant

I might be done with competitive this season. I reached my goal and I'm not sure the stress is worth it to try and get higher.
Who knows, I'll probably change my mind.

I've been done since last week. The stress and salt became too much for me. I'll try again in Season 2, but I'm only sticking with our core group of players. Never again will I play with randoms. Too much of a gamble.

since everyone (except mercy stans) is in agreement that resurrection needs a major nerf, what does everyone think it should be?

personally i think that 30% increased ult charge required is too little, it needs to be more like 200%

Are you serious? I can agree that 30% may not be enough, but 200%? That would essentially make Resurrection the slowest charging ult by a wide margin. That is not how you balance your game.

shiba5

I've been done since last week. The stress and salt became too much for me. I'll try again in Season 2, but I'm only sticking with our core group of players. Never again will I play with randoms. Too much of a gamble.

I was hoping I could help a friend get to 70 (he's 65), but it's getting really hard to get enough people on to make a go of it.

secondably, the invulnerability for the resurrecting team is too long; without putting down an ult (e.g. zarya) that catches them as soon as the invulnerability ends, they have priority to use their escapes etc.
Yes, let's nerf her ult so even LESS people will play healer, brilliant idea. If Mercy gets nerfed any further, she's gonna be worthless. Why play her when you got Lucio or Zen. Any nerfs will make her an inferior healer to Lucio. The only thing keeping her competitive is her ult. Nerf that any further and say goodbye to Mercy.

Also, 200 fucking percent?? Are you mad? It not like her ult is an insta win button. I've seen many 3 man or 4 man revives made by the other team and we still hold them out.

RemiLP

Yes, let's nerf her ult so even LESS people will play healer, brilliant idea. If Mercy gets nerfed any further, she's gonna be worthless. Why play her when you got Lucio or Zen. Any nerfs will make her an inferior healer to Lucio. The only thing keeping her competitive is her ult. Nerf that any further and say goodbye to Mercy.

Dont mercy have like a 100% pick rate in pro games?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

why is it ok to say goodbye to all these other characters in competitive but not mercy?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
God the fact that the timer in sudden death numbani is the same as the other hybrid maps with shorter distance to travel makes no sense.

why is it ok to say goodbye to all these other characters in competitive but not mercy?
Because she's one of the two main healers. Her and Lucio. Ana and Zen are more side healers. I don't care about the pro scene, but if mercy gets nerfed, pubs are gonna just stay away from her and she'll be useless.

abundant

This too. With the recent buff to Transcendence, a nerf to Resurrection would make Mercy an inferior pick to Zen and that is something Blizzard wants to avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom