• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne

What are the best pro team comps? I'm curious what's used.

Pre patch you had 2 main types of comps in 1HL

Payload: Mercy/Lucio/Rein/Pharah/Soldier/Flex. Flex would be things like Roadhog often enough, sometimes you see a Genji or Hanzo or Reaper or whatever

KotH: Mercy/Lucio/Zarya/Soldier/Whatever/Whatever. The whatever slots were usually various DPS chars based on map and team. KotH largely comes down to who can out kill the other team so you'd see a pretty decent variety of characters that qre good at killing people.

Then there map specifics, like King's row first point on defense you might have your Pharah on Junkrat or something more specialized. Junkrat sitting in the house by the choke is a problem. People on offense would sometimes run Hanzo to deal with it.

Numbani defend first point saw a lot of Torb since there are some BS turret spots

Gibraltor opening had a bunch of Genji/Hanzo/Tracer/weird ass picks since the start of that map is kind of terrible.

Tracer gets picked up in KoTH or in payload when you need to have something moving around the point.

Could go with the situational uses but you get the idea. You had a core type of team you built with a couple slots that go to map/situation specific heroes.

New patch is gonna be a lot diff as Zen and McCree invalidate a good amount of the meta from last patch. D.Va being super duper good also opens up the door for new comps such as Wintson/D.Va

Soulflarz

Banned
I'm curious to the people who say Pharah should get a nerf on console. What do you propose changing?

My key issue with Pharah
I hate her on console- most people aren't good enough to shoot her. I know this always gets a few "but I can shoot her fine!" replies, but the average player can't.

Which comes to the issue that she's fundamentally hard to kill on console- no nerf will really fix this unless you want to make her hilariously squishy.

My key issue with Pharah
I hate her on console- most people aren't good enough to shoot her. I know this always gets a few "but I can shoot her fine!" replies, but the average player can't.

Which comes to the issue that she's fundamentally hard to kill on console- no nerf will really fix this unless you want to make her hilariously squishy.
I think the only way they could fix that is make her unable to stay in the air for as long, but that might take away a lot of her usefulness.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What do you suggest Blizzard should change in Symmetra ?

I feel like she should have a lot more shields than she does. Winston's static bubble and zarya's projected bubble seem like skills that might've been Symmetra's at one point.

In addition to my great "turret hat on a person's head" idea, I've also thought of:

1) Her shield can block 50 damage before breaking, but instead of being a straight bonus on the HP bar, it's a floating barrier that rotates around the target, leaving bits of them vulnerable at a time. This will increase granularity so they can adjust the strength of the shield without breaking Tracer and Genji utterly. Doesn't regenerate so she has to keep applying it (instead of the set-it-and-forget-it shield we have now)

2) She can deploy all of her turret charges at once and at range, like Reaper's TP but shorter. This will allow her to fight for points with her allies since her biggest obstacle is setup time. Preset patterns like Mei's Wall configuration can be cycled through with additional taps.

3) Main fire's range is increased and when used on an ally it projects a fading shield. Its not strictly healing and it can't reverse damage but it makes the primary fire more relevant than it is now. Perhaps the shield is porous like in the first idea.

Let her put turrets on people. Consumes all her charges to put it on a single person.

Soulflarz

Banned
I think the only way they could fix that is make her unable to stay in the air for as long, but that might take away a lot of her usefulness.

Anddd heres the real issue.
We're running into the good old widowmaker on console issue- much like the fact that 90% of people are unable to shoot with her on console cause they can't snipe and therefore shes fundamentally unusable largely, Pharah is very hard to counter under the same logic. Theres no way to fix either issue without making Widow silly powerful to encourage use or to neuter Pharah as she currently is. What, height cap her? A reaper already can kill her, any lower and shes suddenly actually having to note one while flying.

I miss it so. Charges way slower now.
Sort of. Self healing helps it, it probably only got nerfed 10 or 15% with that in mind.

Also, with reaper getting 4% of his Death Blossom per soul heal, he can charge silly fast if you're going HAM. A match where we held the point for 5m at the end? die die die'd 4 people, shot 2 normally. had 50% before the other team even came back, popped 4 ults in the last 5 minutes.

Granted, anyone charges silly fast now if you're maiming their team, it's just amusing to me.

Symmetra's design is pretty poor too. Her win rate is extremely polarized and completely unindicative of her actual effectiveness in an average game. Her kit seems mashed together from spare parts without any real synergy.

I mean I like Sym and I (used to) like playing her but she's so one-dimensional and I've been expecting a remake for a while.

The first time I saw Sym I had some conflict with her, she cant do nothing without her turrets but her turrets have zero sinergy with her kit. her turrets have low hp so anyone have a chance to take them down and work more like alarms or beacons for symmetra alone.

Her team cant see the turrets or heard the indication the turrets are destroyed, why? She cant make bigger turrets, torbon got that, Make the turrets marks the enemies like Hanzo and widow skills while slow them down and notifies the entire team the enemy destroyed the turrets.

Her shield ability is like, hey lets make symm players do something, cant work on her own turrets, it somehow protects your allies for like one hit and thats all. I thinks that ability needs to be reworked or removed for a more cohesive support ability like some sort of beacon where the allies can regenerate shields/armor (no health).

Move her shield ability to be her passive and everyone near to her or use her teleporters gains a shield.

Since there is no ammo in the game Symm cant create a dispenser like where allies can regen health and ammo like TF2's engi.

I dont get her teleporter is limited, I guess to avoid a permanent defense with zero chance of the opposing team to do something, enemies (and allies cant see the first teleporter) cant mark her teleporter, she cant rotate the teleporter (again, why?).

Gator86

My key issue with Pharah

Yeah, I'm not sure she needs a nerf, but she's goddamn insufferable on console. She simply exists outside the plane every other character operates on. There's no other character that can kill you in a couple shots who is also completely offscreen half the time, requiring you to take your view off the other 5 enemies and the terrain. On console, your options for killing her now are McCree and Soldier. Most people playing those classes don't have the aim to hit her consistently when she's flying around, even if a vacuum, much less when she's shredding you with attacks and her push shockwave while the rest of the enemy team washes over people staring straight into the sky.

Kito

Rez doesn't have to be an insta-win button when it charges so quickly. That's the point. It's a powerful enough effect that the rate it charges is ridiculous. She can expend it resurrecting one or two characters and then have it back again in 30 seconds to resurrect after a teamfight.

Rez charge is so slow now I hardly even play Mercy anymore. I've noticed her pick rate declining in the game so it's not just me.

90% of the time I rez it's just a trigger for an enemy ult anyway, and we're all 'back to square one'.

Zen was my first healer and the one I'm back to using now. Transcendence charges much quicker and is way more useful.

Competitive has been ass today. Gone down two ranks already, five losses in a row. Despite defending really well in every match, not a single team of mine was able to get their act together on attack. On the last match my team was even up 6-5 and couldn't finish the point. Ugh. Time to play some Quick Play to wash the sour taste out of my mouth.

Kito

I dont get her teleporter is limited, I guess to avoid a permanent defense with zero chance of the opposing team to do something, enemies (and allies cant see the first teleporter) cant mark her teleporter, she cant rotate the teleporter (again, why?).

My main issue with the teleporter is that it's so easily located and destroyed.

Suggestion: Sym can mark a teleporter spawn point and activate it remotely after a team wipe.

Yeah, I'm not sure she needs a nerf, but she's goddamn insufferable on console. She simply exists outside the plane every other character operates on. There's no other character that can kill you in a couple shots who is also completely offscreen half the time, requiring you to take your view off the other 5 enemies and the terrain.

I don't think I've hated any video game character as much as Pharah. Please delete her, Blizzard.

AngryMoth

I am on the verge of giving up on comp now. After tumbling down in the 30's I'm having games ruined due to someone leaving roughly 50% of the time which is making it impossible to rank back up despite that I usually get gold medals in every game

Alright D.Va experts, what are you hot strats?

I finally started branching out, and I've found her to be a ton of fun to play. My early lessons are that it's easy to overshoot your ult, and it's better to save your dash to get out of battle, as opposed to dashing in.

I am on the very of giving up on comp now. After tumbling down in the 30's I'm having games ruined due to someone leaving roughly 50% of the time which is making it impossible to rank back up despite that I usually get gold medals in every game

Did you change heroes according to your team pick? I sometimes see no ones pick supp or tank despite being crushed by the enemy team, sometimes you have to get your hands dirty and pick tanks

I finally started branching out, and I've found her to be a ton of fun to play. My early lessons are that it's easy to overshoot your ult, and it's better to save your dash to get out of battle, as opposed to dashing in.
you can bash people out of the way using her dash

you can put up her defense matrix in front of other characters or turrets to protect them and allow them to keep firing (for example you can guard a hanzo while they pick off people)

her pistol when she's mechless is still very useful, especially if you get headshots

if there are people on the payload and you need to distract them, dash in and then pop your defense matrix when they turn around. while they're stupidly firing into it your team can attack them, then you can dash back to safety

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Dash can also chase people escaping. A good thing to get in the habit of when you dash at someone is to cancel it with a melee then start shooting.

you can bash people out of the way using her dash

you can put up her defense matrix in front of other characters or turrets to protect them and allow them to keep firing (for example you can guard a hanzo while they pick off people)

her pistol when she's mechless is still very useful, especially if you get headshots

if there are people on the payload and you need to distract them, dash in and then pop your defense matrix when they turn around. while they're stupidly firing into it your team can attack them, then you can dash back to safety
Ah, good tips! It seems like you can just be annoying as shit by flanking and dashing away before you get into too much trouble.
Dash can also chase people escaping. A good thing to get in the habit of when you dash at someone is to cancel it with a melee then start shooting.

Ooh, good call! I didn't realize melee stopped your dash.

AngryMoth

Did you change heroes according to your team pick? I sometimes see no ones pick supp or tank despite being crushed by the enemy team, sometimes you have to get your hands dirty and pick tanks
Yeah I like to switch it up depending on the map and team comp, I play about 50% of the heroes quite regularly

No_Style

I was hoping I could help a friend get to 70 (he's 65), but it's getting really hard to get enough people on to make a go of it.

I enjoy Competitive when there isn't a General who's constantly dishing out orders. Suggestions? That's fine but trying to mold a group of GAF members to picking heroes they don't normally use is counterproductive. They are essentially telling people change around them instead of taking the initiative themselves. Even worse? Telling people what their role in the party should be even when they know and are trying their best to fill it. None of this was directed at me but was so tempted to just quit the match right then and there.

Thankfully, the group you and I play with aren't like that.

I'm down for Competitive whenever. I find it to be a nice focused experience whereas QP has become too scattered a bit. Ideally I seek a mix of both; QP for warmup to Competitive.

Salarians

Getting sweet Widow plays on PS4 is so satisfying
CoE0SRhWEAAv2Y5.jpg
I have grown to love her.

abundant

I enjoy Competitive when there isn't a General who's constantly dishing out orders. Suggestions? That's fine but trying to mold a group of GAF members to picking heroes they don't normally use is counterproductive. They are essentially telling people change around them instead of taking the initiative themselves. Even worse? Telling people what their role in the party should be even when they know and are trying their best to fill it. None of this was directed at me but was so tempted to just quit the match right then and there.

Agreed. I like that the core PS4 group we all play with aren't a bunch of tryhards.

shiba5

I'm down for Competitive whenever. I find it to be a nice focused experience whereas QP has become too scattered a bit. Ideally I seek a mix of both; QP for warmup to Competitive.

I hope I'm never that annoying. I try not to say anything unless there is someone constantly on my ass - like a Genji. Then I will ask if someone can switch to someone who can kill him. Or, Tracer. As a healer, I hate Tracer with passion and take great pleasure when she dies.
I'd never ask anyone to play a character they weren't good with in competitive. It would actively hurt the team.

Ramirez

Agreed. I like that the core PS4 group we all play with aren't a bunch of tryhards.

I'm a tryhard, but I never speak out to anyone about their play, or character choice, lol.

We played with a guy one night, who I don't believe was a gaffer, but it was a GAF group, and he just bitched the whole time, and told everyone who to pick, was pretty annoying. Everything he said was centered around how great he was, despite only being like 65 and really doing no better than the rest of us, lol.

Laputa_94

I'm a tryhard, but I never speak out to anyone about their play, or character choice, lol.

We played with a guy one night, who I don't believe was a gaffer, but it was a GAF group, and he just bitched the whole time, and told everyone who to pick, was pretty annoying. Everything he said was centered around how great he was, despite only being like 65 and really doing no better than the rest of us, lol.

It was when he said "I feel like we only do good when I play as Reinhardt" I couldn't help but laugh at how much of a jerk that made him sound.

Soulflarz

Banned

I only speak when it's "okay I'll be __, ill be ___, ill be <no healer yet, repeat for all 5 people>"
"oh okay! I'll be <offense>"

pls no we need heals

might not be telling him to play heals, just throwing the fact out that someone needs to switch.

Zemm

Ana is better at that tho

She really doesn't. Yeah a single bullet does more healing per second but Mercy can switch targets so much faster, doesn't have to worry about reloading and can still heal whilst being focus fired.

Ana's a fine secondary healer but for pure healing Mercy is top tier.

Jarate

Banned
Yaaaaas!

Also, just tried Ana on PS4. Wow, lol. I regularly get 6-8k healing on PC. after about 2 mins on PS4 I had 700 healing and switched to Mercy.

Idk why, cus I don't have trouble with Widow, but I find Ana tough on PS4.

Dont scope with her ever when trying to heal

Zemm

Supports are fine (well, other than sym really). Just learn to work knowing those skills are in place.

Agree with this too, they're in a good place right now, even Sym has her role on PC (that console nerf is dumb though).

There's 22 characters now, not all are going to be equal, as long as some have a role they can fill on certain maps or modes then I'm fine with that (torb, Sym, junkrat etc).

On mobile so sorry for double post if it is one.

Ramirez

It was when he said "I feel like we only do good when I play as Reinhardt" I couldn't help but laugh at how much of a jerk that made him sound.

Yes! "We've only won when I play Reinhardt".

wut

I only speak when it's "okay I'll be __, ill be ___, ill be <no healer yet, repeat for all 5 people>"
"oh okay! I'll be <offense>"

pls no we need heals

might not be telling him to play heals, just throwing the fact out that someone needs to switch.

Thankfully the core group of people I do play with when I'm grouped has plenty of people who pick support without even asking, bless them.

I'm astonished at how many times I get grouped up with 3-4 man groups in solo que, and none of them will pick healer, even after picks are locked in with no support. I always end up havin' to switch to a support, but there are times like last night where I'm the only tank, and if I switch to support, we have nothing but flankers, so it's like, what the fuck am I supposed to do there? Misery.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I've had quite a few randoms that have added me but I deleted a couple after grouping with them since they got super bossy like that. I get really into matches and all but some people are just insufferable to play with.

ohkay

Getting sweet Widow plays on PS4 is so satisfying
I love widow, but find it hard to pick her I'm competitive since I find in a lot more up and down with her than anyone else. Sometimes I will just shut down the other team, others I'll be completely useless. Makes me wonder how I'd do on PC with her

I can't count the amount of times I never noticed the other team had a Junkrat until I hear "fire in the hole!"

It's just bizarre that I never see them until they somehow already got their ult, not even in the kill feed.

I love widow, but find it hard to pick her in competitive since I find in a lot more up and down with her than anyone else. Sometimes I will just shit down the other team, others I'll be completely useless. Makes me wonder how I'd do on PC with her
Widow can be tough, yeah. I think she is quite situational on consoles as well, but when you get it right she can destroy.

She seems to work particularly well with Zen ATM, even a body shot does killer damage.

As for PC, I hadn't played an FPS on PC in literally years (Black Ops 1 being the last one) but after 30+ hours of console Overwatch, much of that with Widow, moving to PC was enlightening. I've found that it's improved my Widow in general though, and I'm much better on PS4 now too.
She really doesn't. Yeah a single bullet does more healing per second but Mercy can switch targets so much faster, doesn't have to worry about reloading and can still heal whilst being focus fired.

Ana's a fine secondary healer but for pure healing Mercy is top tier.
A concentrated Ana is better than a Mercy - bonus if the team is coordinated around Ana. Her healing potential is higher, even factoring in reload times.

Edit: just did the calculation. Mercy does 50hp/s. Ana does 75hp per shot, and can shoot 1.1 times per second. Her reload time is 1.5 seconds.

So for 10 seconds of Mercy's beam, Ana can fire for 8.5 of those. At a rate of 1.1 shots per second, that means that every second Ana does 82.5hp.

So if we do 82.5hp/s * 8.5s = 701.25hp in a 10 second window. Mercy does 500hp in the same window.
Dont scope with her ever when trying to heal
Yeah, I don't on PC (unless someone is far away) and I'm doing the same on PS4, but I feel like I'm not as aware of where my team is. Maybe cus I'm using a sound system instead of headphones.

Soulflarz

Banned
Thankfully the core group of people I do play with when I'm grouped has plenty of people who pick support without even asking, bless them.

I'm astonished at how many times I get grouped up with 3-4 man groups in solo que, and none of them will pick healer, even after picks are locked in with no support. I always end up havin' to switch to a support, but there are times like last night where I'm the only tank, and if I switch to support, we have nothing but flankers, so it's like, what the fuck am I supposed to do there? Misery.

Same, I love my friends and their heavy use of tank+heal or ana+zen

Right? It's so horrid lol. I often am the only tank/support at all. Luckily with the DVa buff, she's gotten a bit more commonly played, but still nowhere near as much as me. And I almost always get gold on the objective.

Borden

Neo Member
Mercy doesn't need to have her ult time reduced anymore. Since it's rare to get kills with her having her on your team is basically like playing 5.5v6 the whole game. Half the time when you get a res it doesn't matter because the dummy you revived sprints back into the death spot and just dies again. Really, any time she gets a res the player she brings back is player they are likely still in a bad spot. Other times you'll get a post ult revive only to have it followed up with another ult and basically erasing your ult. Or you die during the revive, pre or post ult.

Yes it sucks when you demolish a team and some stupid Mercy undoes your work. However, Tracer and Genji can get to her quickly and continue to crush the team after they kill her. If she runs into anyone heads up she's dead. *Well she should be dead but there's some pretty bad people out there though.*

Think about offensive characters like McCree, Solider and Reaper, they can wipe out an entire team with their ults. They can die during their ult. They need to stay relatively close to the fray (as compared to flankers). These are hard and fast rules but roughly the same. The difference though is they can operate on their own, Mercy can't.

Also any ult kill is better than a revive. An ult kill puts everyone on the killers team in a better spot. The revive may or may not be putting her teammates back into a good spot.

mxgt

Banned
Oh god so many shitty mccrees now.

I know he's been buffed but he's a high skill ceiling character for a reason.

McCree is pretty ridiculous now if you have a competent aim.

I top damage with him pretty much every game I play him, had 21k damage with him earlier in a KOTH quickplay.

Shame his right click is useless though.

mxgt

Banned
A concentrated Ana is better than a Mercy - bonus if the team is coordinated around Ana. Her healing potential is higher, even factoring in reload times.

Edit: just did the calculation. Mercy does 50hp/s. Ana does 75hp per shot, and can shoot 1.1 times per second. Her reload time is 1.5 seconds.

So for 10 seconds of Mercy's beam, Ana can fire for 8.5 of those. At a rate of 1.1 shots per second, that means that every second Ana does 82.5hp.

So if we do 82.5hp/s * 8.5s = 701.25hp in a 10 second window. Mercy does 500hp in the same window..

All fine and well on paper, but I doubt Ana will ever be close to Mercy in actual gameplay

Key difference being Ana has to aim to heal, Mercy doesn't. If your aim is bad or you miss sometimes and it takes you 2-3 shots to land a critical heal, that's pretty big.

Mercy doesn't have that problem. I don't really think Ana will ever be as good a main healer as Mercy or Lucio until she gets some kind of mobility option.

Borden

Neo Member
Best D.va performance so far:

And what do I get for it?

Half a rank? Is that half? Slightly over half I guess.
Your individual performance is based on how you do, as that character, on that map vs the entire communities average with that character, on that map. I believe. So, gold medals and personal bests don't mean as much.

Borden

Neo Member
All fine and well on paper, but I doubt Ana will ever be close to Mercy in actual gameplay

Key difference being Ana has to aim to heal, Mercy doesn't. If your aim is bad or you miss sometimes and it takes you 2-3 shots to land a critical heal, that's pretty big.

Mercy doesn't have that problem. I don't really think Ana will ever be as good a main healer as Mercy or Lucio until she gets some kind of mobility option.
She would need to hit 71.2% of her shots to equal out to Mercy. Not a comment on anything, just the number to help the discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom