• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interfectum

The problem with giving everyone a competitive point for finishing a match is you'll get people afking instead of just rage quitting

Well give competitive points to the losing team members who reach a certain threshold in the game. Objective time, damage, healing something.

As of right now competitive at 50 and below is almost broken. I had where two matches in a row one of my teammates left early, killing our game. I lost two ranks and got no points for participating. I finally got on a winning team but one of the opposing team members rage quit before the end and I gained only a fraction of a rank back. That's insane... I'm not really seeing the reason to continue playing ranked after something like that. And it seems as I get lower and lower ranked the more chance of people leaving goes up.

So you have the odds of two things happening now.

- Your teammate quits, you lose an entire rank.
- The opposing teammate quits, you gain a fraction of a rank.

If that continues we'll all be level 1 by the end of the season.

Rad-

Any tank heavy team comp is pretty broken when capturing the first point. Two Winstons, two Zaryas and two Lucios is my favorite one.

Redmoon

The problem with giving everyone a competitive point for finishing a match is you'll get people afking instead of just rage quitting

I'd just report them and tell everyone else to the same as well and let the system do its work. Eventually they will get banned from comp for it.

abundant

Any tank heavy team comp is pretty broken when capturing the first point. Two Winstons, two Zaryas and two Lucios is my favorite one.

I've been noticing this too. Unless the Defending team is all DPS, they cannot handle the multiple tanks.

Onemic

Anyone find that matchmaking takes a really long time the higher you are in rank? Im level 125 and it takes on average 1.5+ min to find a game, even longer when I'm in a group.

grendelrt

Ugh. I don't want to see this again tonight.

Is this happening to a lot of people at the moment?

Over the past 3 days this has happened to multiple people in our 6 man group, game starts, they get kicked by the server. Its really annoying because most of that time we basically instantly lose the game being down 5v6. It was happening 2-3 times a night to us.

X-Frame

Genjis only good skin is Carbon fibre and Bedouin.

Really Soldier 76 is the one who needs better legendaries, they're all so ugly without his mask.

I think Soldier has great Legendaries.

Zarya is someone in need of better ones though, also hoping Blizzard removes the ridiculous goggles from Arctic and Siberian Front as well to improve them.

abundant

Anyone find that matchmaking takes a really long time the higher you are in rank? Im level 125 and it takes on average 1.5+ min to find a game, even longer when I'm in a group.

That's because the player base is fractured into four different modes now. Quick Play, vs. AI, Weekly Brawl, and Competitive Mode.

Kasei

The best way to play ranked is not to play!

Quick play 4 life.

Most of my friends have suggested the same thing today. 'Let's ignore ranked!'. Definitely more chill and experimental as others have said.

Over the past 3 days this has happened to multiple people in our 6 man group, game starts, they get kicked by the server. Its really annoying because most of that time we basically instantly lose the game being down 5v6. It was happening 2-3 times a night to us.

That sounds like a nightmare. If this consistently happens to my group I know they'll pack their bags on ranked for the time being. It's a pity since in principle I enjoy the game mode, but the current implementation has me balking.

Cocaine_

Neo Member
I'm stuck in leaver hell... i went from rank 57 to 49 yesterday due to horrible teams and tons of people leaving the game. Seems like the lower I drop in rank the great chance of people leaving too. Kaplan has a bit of a mess on his hands here.

I find it really hard to believe that you dropped 8 ranks in one day solely because you had leavers.

Plus the difference in skill between 57 and 49 is not large enough that you're getting a totally different type of player base. You're imagining things.

Harsher punishments for leavers are coming in the next patch, don't worry.

Interfectum

I find it really hard to believe that you dropped 8 ranks in one day solely because you had leavers.

Plus the difference in skill between 57 and 49 is not large enough that you're getting a totally different type of player base. You're imagining things.

Harsher punishments for leavers are coming in the next patch, don't worry.

I don't care if you believe me or not, tbh. Check every forum related to OW right now... it's plaguing the mode.

I did my placements and came in at 56. Won/lost a bunch and went from 57 to 56 to 57. Yesterday started at 57, lost a few legit games, got to 55. From there literally every game I had someone left, either on my team or their's. I plummeted to 49, got into a game where everyone started as widowmaker on my team... i rage quit out early. So I guess I'm 48 now.

Harsher punishments are not the answer. You can't force a team to stay in a losing game with zero incentive to continue besides being punished for leaving.

Oni Jazar

Winning 6v6 and gaining 5% of a level because someone left in the last minute sucks.

Winning 5v6 and gaining 5% of a level because someone left in the last minute REALLY sucks.

THIS! Only our team was down a man for an entire round. I was ecstatic to get the win after being down one player only to find out my reward was cut! If anything it should be higher!

Cocaine_

Neo Member
I don't care if you believe me or not, tbh. Check every forum related to OW right now... it's plaguing the mode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Harsher punishments are not the answer. You can't force a team to stay in a losing game with zero incentive to continue besides being punished for leaving.

They were looking at giving a 75% decrease in skill rank gained for people who leave intentionally. Would you have still ragequit your game if you knew that you'd get penalized for the next 3-5 games with virtually no gain in rating?

The other idea they had for repeat offenders is having them suspended for the season. They realize leavers in competitive is a problem for everyone, so the fix is coming.

I'm stuck in leaver hell... i went from rank 57 to 49 yesterday due to horrible teams and tons of people leaving the game. Seems like the lower I drop in rank the great chance of people leaving too. Kaplan has a bit of a mess on his hands here.

This what I noticed as well, as soon as the ranks start dropping, people are more and more likely to rage quit.

I'm a low rank personally low 40s, played 16 games yesterday went 8-8 had 2 games where the my team left after a quick cap and had 6 games where the enemy team left either after losing a point quickly or nearing the end of a game.

I really need to stop solo queueing in ranked, but I keep saying one more game

Cocaine_

Neo Member
not his daredevil one. the 'stache is to die for. so patriotic when the game is over and you jump and let someone witness all his glory as he slowly glides in the air.

Oh god I hate that highlight intro too... you're a monster

edit: ... I meant that goofy skin + that one goofy highlight intro where he shoots the rocket. Worst combo ever.

Interfectum

They were looking at giving a 75% decrease in skill rank gained for people who leave intentionally. Would you have still ragequit your game if you knew that you'd get penalized for the next 3-5 games with virtually no gain in rating?

The other idea they had for repeat offenders is having them suspended for the season. They realize leavers in competitive is a problem for everyone, so the fix is coming.

I don't think that's going to fix it. People leaving is a symptom of a greater problem. The matches are too long and there's no incentive for the losing team to continue besides being punished. Also, they need to stop punishing the winning team for the losing team having someone who quit the game. That's a huge oversight, IMO.

RotBot

Why does Blizzard even allow people to default to not join the voice channel in competitive? I started hitting P every game to check and on average, half the team isn't in voice and can't hear callouts.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Symmetra also needs better legendary skins.

I got that stupid Mass Effect looking one in a box. So dry and boring looking

Cocaine_

Neo Member
I don't think that's going to fix it. People leaving is a symptom of a greater problem. The matches are too long and there's no incentive for the losing team to continue besides being punished. Also, they need to stop punishing the winning team for the losing team having someone who quit the game. That's a huge oversight, IMO.

A majority of my experience with ranked games and MMR/ELO in team games comes from Dota, but hear me out.

This was a huge problem for Ranked play in Dota 2 as well, but every year they've made punishments more and more harsh and I can say from experience that it's made a huge difference. The only time people get an abandon in my ranked games is when there are connection issues. And these are usually 45-60 min games.

Sure, no one wants to play a game they know they will lose, but it doesn't make any sense to fuck up your next 5 games and waste your time just because you didn't feel like staying til the end.

Interfectum

A majority of my experience with ranked games and MMR/ELO in team games comes from Dota, but hear me out.

This was a huge problem for Ranked play in Dota 2 as well, but every year they've made punishments more and more harsh and I can say from experience that it's made a huge difference. The only time people get an abandon in my ranked games is when there are connection issues. And these are usually 45-60 min games.

Sure, no one wants to play a game they know they will lose, but it doesn't make any sense to fuck up your next 5 games and waste your time just because you didn't feel like staying til the end.

Does Dota 2 punish the winning team if the losing team is down a player? I'm actually curious as I haven't played it in forever.

I think, even with harsher punishments, you are still gonna have potential players quitting simply to mess up the winning team's gains.

Zemm

I never played the beta but how was competitive mode in that? I've read Blizzard saying they weren't happy with it so have changed it into what is the current version, but this is terrible too. So just how bad was the beta version? :/

How are the games too long? As it is now actually gives the losing team a chance to adapt and overcome. I really, really like the pace of play as it exists right now.

Maybe I'm used to it after having played MOBAs but I've never felt a game dragged on and those that are long are because they're extremely close and competitive.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So I basically turned into the asshole who does not pick anyone but hanzo today just so I could get some practice in with him for the first time.

He's pretty fun actually. Also played some matches where I felt like I actually contributed!

mbpm1

What if they afk?

So I basically turned into the asshole who does not pick anyone but hanzo today just so I could get some practice in with him for the first time.

He's pretty fun actually. Also played some matches where I felt like I actually contributed!

were you sniping or mid range.

Cocaine_

Neo Member
Does Dota 2 punish the winning team if the losing team is down a player? I'm actually curious as I haven't played it in forever.

I think, even with harsher punishments, you are still gonna have potential players quitting simply to mess up the winning team's gains.

You still think it'd be worth it? Idk. I think it's stupid punishing the winning team but the crux of the problem is still people leaving. More bans for leavers = Less people leaving = Less silly punishments for good teams

edit: People are trying to rank up, generally, if they're playing Competitive. How does ruining the winning team's gains benefit the player? It just makes it harder for the leaver to rank up.

Onemic

Keep the system as is but making leaving penalty more harsh.

Nah, because right now you get punished if you have a leaver on your team. You are forced to play the rest of the match as a 5v6 and even if you dont get a penalty for leaving, you still incur a loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom