• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

exYle

The thing is, I don't think you're getting any kind of feel for the character at all when you try her on a team that is so fucked by stacked Ana's that there is nothing any of them are going to accomplish except get wrecked.

To play Ana correctly, you need to

1. Find and maintain some kind of cover using the map. This is not something you are going to do while getting steamrolled because the enemy team is going to shoot you out the moment they're aware of your position.

2. Learn how to fire and distinguish targets. This is not something you are going to do with 2 other Ana's who are in the back lines with you. Even if you are doing everything completely right and you're healing like crazy, a 6 v 3 match is not one that's likely going to last long. What do you learn when the result of skilled gameplay is identical to bad gameplay?

3. Use your ult smartly. Again, steamrolling basically nullifies this. No matter who you are, even a nanoboosted Reinhardt is going to fall when everyone concentrates fire on him.

I really feel that the only way to really learn how to play a character is to play them in a normal gameplay environment, because that's where they're going to be used anyway, once the ana fever dies down. Now, you might have more of a point if this was literally any other character class. But this is a steam game, and especially as a support sniper with limited mobility, you're kit basically relies on the rest of the team to be effective.

Look, trust me, I get it, I'm sensitive to the idea that people want to just try out their favorite character. I get that. But stacking in all it's forms is a cancer. Stacking your support sniper with limited offensive and mobile capabilities is like a 9/11 of cancer with a side of the holocaust. Not only is it essentially throwing away the game, something no one likes whether it's QP or ranked, but it's also not in any way conducive to learning or enjoying the character. I would much rather have a person try her out in Ranked than 3 people in QP, because even if their entirely incompetent with her, then atleast the team will be down only 1 player instead of 3.

There is a difference between learning how to use a character's kit and learning how to use a character effectively as part of a team.

Just reached 25, so I'll be doing those 10 competitive games to get the season 1 participation spray/player icon tomorrow, and not ever worry about season 1 competitive again afterwards. :p

Also, 25er lootbox gave me one of the best emotes in the game (Winston's peanut butter one).

Veelk

Banned
There is a difference between learning how to use a character's kit and learning how to use a character effectively as part of a team.

For every other character class? Sure, maybe. But a support class is literally defined by it's relationship with it's team. They have to be supporting something. They're the most helpless members on their own.

Like, you can learn what the buttons do, sure, but you don't need much practice in that than to read the Hero info. But you're not going to learn much firing at the enemy team as they all bum rush you. Like, what will happen? You get a couple shots off, get a kill if you're lucky, then you're dead and respawning. A sensible team composition will let you give you the survivability to learn how to use even something as basic as your kit better than a team that just gets destroyed out of the gate.

Ramirez

I think her intended use isn't really sniping, it's just her style of gun. Hip fire that thing.

I think Blizzard should have gave her a DMR type weapon with shorter zoom and an easier firing cadence. The gun acts like a sniper, and hip firing a sniper isn't easy on a pad. But she was never designed for consoles to begin with, we're second fiddle, so oh well.

Whining about QP picks at this point is silly, if you're looking for a serious match, play competitive. I know my Ana antics sabotaged many a game last night, but I don't care, I'm there to practice and try out a character I won't pick in competitive, winning isn't my top priority.

duckroll

What's wrong with people trying out a new character? Better for them to do it in QP then to try her out in Ranked. Just wait for a few more days and the Ana fever will die down.

I feel that it's a bad excuse when there's a Weekly Brawl right now catering to people who want gimmick matches so they can "try Ana out". Nothing against people wanting to play a new character, I don't even mind people trying Ana out in a team composition that doesn't seem like it would be effective. What I dislike is people who play a team game without any interest in actually playing it as a team game.

If someone goes "Why 3 Anas?" and one of them goes "Why don't we try 3 tanks + 3 Anas and see how it goes?" I would find it very hard to say "no, fuck off" because that would be silly. It's a game. But when people refuse to talk, refuse to communicate, play whatever they want, and just don't seem interested in playing a team game, why would anyone defend that behavior?

The problem isn't exclusively with 3 Anas, it's with people who are generally not interested in communicating or contributing in a team effort.

Borden

Neo Member
For every other character class? Sure, maybe. But a support class is literally defined by it's relationship with it's team. They have to be supporting something. They're the most helpless members on their own.

Like, you can learn what the buttons do, sure, but you don't need much practice in that than to read the Hero info. But you're not going to learn much firing at the enemy team as they all bum rush you. Like, what will happen? You get a couple shots off, get a kill if you're lucky, then you're dead and respawning. A sensible team composition will let you give you the survivability to learn how to use even something as basic as your kit better than a team that just gets destroyed out of the gate.
While I will agree that learning is better in QP than comp, I also agree that if your goal is to basically just learning what does what training mode or vs AI is a better option.

QP is meant for just messing around and having fun though so, it's still difficult to fault anyone. I would say roll with the punches more and go Ana yourself. Or go with a character you rarely play.

edgefusion

I love this new Widowmaker Lite character! I don't know why she has a grenade that heals though? I never use it, I just stand at the back and pew pew at the enemy team. :)

Just reached 25, so I'll be doing those 10 competitive games to get the season 1 participation spray/player icon tomorrow, and not ever worry about season 1 competitive again afterwards. :p

Also, 25er lootbox gave me one of the best emotes in the game (Winston's peanut butter one).

That one kicks ass. I have the safari looking Winston and the peanut butter voice line. With that emote, it all comes together.

My only problem is current Zenyatta makes it hard to play him right now. He just drops so fast.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That one kicks ass. I have the safari looking Winston and the peanut butter voice line. With that emote, it all comes together.

My only problem is current Zenyatta makes it hard to play him right now. He just drops so fast.

See genji every game -> pick winston -> get destroyed by zenyatta and reaper -> cry.

Owzers

Does anyone use Lucio on ps4 while keeping X as jump? I'm starting to think I have to switch it to l2, Boop to r1, and amp up to X just like I had to switch mercy to l2 jump in order to have the right stick free so I can move and glide easily.

abundant

Does anyone use Lucio on ps4 while keeping X as jump? I'm starting to think I have to switch it to l2, Boop to r1, and amp up to X just like I had to switch mercy to l2 jump in order to have the right stick free so I can move and glide easily.

Anyone who is a competent Lucio player switches jump to a bumper.

Move everyone's jump to L1. On literally every character L1 is an ability that does not need to be aimed and activated at the same time. Swapping X (jump) and L1 (ability) makes so, so much sense.

Edit: wait, swap L1 with R1 and then move the R1 ability, now on L1, to X.

That's what I have, sorry. Just realised L1 is mobility so that is useful. But putting the R1 ability on L1 then swapping it with jump is perfect.

abundant

I can't play QP anymore, match quality is garbage compared to competitive.

In my experience, QP is still alright to play, as long as you're in a full group. Unless the damn game puts your group into 4 KotH matches back to back. Had that happened again last night and now I hate KotH.

Gorillaz

game has gotten to the point where playing without a full team or coordinated team is shit

like it's always been shit but honestly the people playing and now everyone playing like shit with ana, my threshold for this shit is breaking

megasus

Just noticed that they already teased the forest map back at the original Overwatch reveal in 2014
maybe
:

Ms8sAtt.jpg

In my experience, QP is still alright to play, as long as you're in a full group. Unless the damn game puts your group into 4 KotH matches back to back. Had that happened again last night and now I hate KotH.

I hear you. I'm a little over KOTH for now.

I wish there was a queue just for payload maps but I also don't want to fracture the player base more than the QP/Comp already does.

ohkay

I use L3 to jump on Lucio

I don't agree with this since I think playing with a bad, non coordinated group will make you learn faster. You'll be put in pressure situations much more often, like random people flanking you, and you'll learn how to react since it's happening more often due to the lack of teamwork. You'll also have a better awareness for your teammates since they'll most likely be running around by themselves. Having a better team would end up making you more complacent since you wouldn't have to put in as much work

N° 2048

game has gotten to the point where playing without a full team or coordinated team is shit

like it's always been shit but honestly the people playing and now everyone playing like shit with ana, my threshold for this shit is breaking

Same here. Been playing less and less to be honest.

Have about 80 hours put in the game too and the way I'm feeling right now, I'm ready to drop this shit once Battlefield 1 hits...

xaosslug

I can't play QP anymore, match quality is garbage compared to competitive.

i still play it, but it has really become an exercise in team-carrying as it's obvious peeps just use it to fuck around w/ characters they don't usually play. I mean a 2-star Soldier 76 that can't seem to stay alive long enough to push the payload? REALLY?! >.>

I hope there's a hero in the future that specializes in silencing enemies. He/She would disable enemies abilities and ults for 2 or 3 seconds.

Of course he would require skill in knowing when to silence enemies. And his silencing effect would have a small range so he would have to jump into the fray to use it.

Slowly clawing my way out of low level hell and hit 44. I nearly hit 36 after a horrific losing streak last week. My comp stats are now exactly 50% :D

Prelude.

This kinda made up for the awful, awful day in competitive, plagued by uncooperative assholes.

https://my.mixtape.moe/xilgys.webm

Funny, it's been the opposite for me recently. All my comp matches are garbage but QP has been great.
Same. In competitive as soon as things start to go bad people stop having a functioning brain. Like completely dropping out of their role just to switch to the character they think they're best at.

Veelk

Banned
I don't agree with this since I think playing with a bad, non coordinated group will make you learn faster. You'll be put in pressure situations much more often, like random people flanking you, and you'll learn how to react since it's happening more often due to the lack of teamwork. You'll also have a better awareness for your teammates since they'll most likely be running around by themselves. Having a better team would end up making you more complacent since you wouldn't have to put in as much work

You're assuming this is a best case scenario where you're on a good team and the other team is simply being destroyed and protecting you well enough to not care. This isn't the situation in most cases. Chances are you'll be matched up against a team that's able to push back atleast somewhat. I've played Widow plenty of times and I think I can count on one hand the number of times that the opposing team never flushed me out the entire match.

The scenerio you're describing where you can just hang back and be complacent is very rare. Again, maybe you'd have a point if we were talking about any other character class. But this is Ana, the old lady sniper that uses a rather weak DPS rifle and has nothing but basic mobility because of her bad hip. Support characters define themselves by how they support their team. Even if you're somehow consistently winning against classes that are literally designed to kill classes like you (in which case, you're playing against such a poor team that I cannot concieve how they'd get far enough to flush you out in the first place), you're not learning what your actual role in the team will be. As a support sniper, her role is literally defined by how she will interact with her team, and while knowing how to handle surprises is good, if you're on a bad team and the other team is good enough to know to take you out, I just don't see how you survive more than a single player you see coming or maybe 2 players who are wounded enough for you to finish off. Anything else, you'll die to 90% of the time.

Besides, Ana's kit isn't anything unique to master. You aim and shoot. You aim and throw a grenade. That's pretty much the extent of her kit. I mean, I'm not saying it's easy, and you should try her out once to get a feel for her and all, but the actual mechanisms behind her use are as straightforward as it gets. Everything else is about map placement and moving with your team.

KiraFA37

Serious question: how to deal with 6 Tjorborns on Hanamura? The enemy did it to troll so when we switched sides we trolled them back. Also since I reached level 25 the quality of the quick play matches has improved dramatically, I'm getting grouped with people in the level 40-80 range now and the difference is night and day, like people actually know how to play now.

Veelk

Banned
Serious question: how to deal with 6 Tjorborns on Hanamura? The enemy did it to troll so when we switched sides we trolled them back. Also since I reached level 25 the quality of the quick play matches has improved dramatically, I'm getting grouped with people in the level 40-80 range now and the difference is night and day, like people actually know how to play now.

6 D.Va's? You need everyone to participate in it though.

I played against that once console pre-patch. Widow + Reinhardt + Lucio + Junkrat did the job, but it wasnt fun.

xaosslug

well, anyone can kill Torb's turret, now, pretty much. It's sad. LOL You just need to coordinate a bit. First, you need a D.Va to fly in there and get a lay of the land, aftwerwards a Winston + Rein + D.Va + Genji + Soldier 76 + whomever esle should be able to do the trick?

if they're grouped together a well-placed nerf should down 'em, otherwise walk in w/ Rein, drop Winston's shield and then everyone unload on whatever turrets they can find. Winston + D.Va can go for any turrets placed higher up.

Squire

Banned
So if the BlizzCon digital ticket comes with a bonus for Overwatch, would it apply to the console versions, too? Did they ever do anything like that for Diablo 3?

What's wrong with people trying out a new character? Better for them to do it in QP then to try her out in Ranked. Just wait for a few more days and the Ana fever will die down.

The Ana fever (on Xbox, at least) is already not that bad, honestly. I rarely play with more than one. Usually if a team starts with multiple, most will switch off, too.

Rad-

Damn this new McCree is satisfying to play with them long range headshots. I really hope they don't nerf him (at least on consoles).

well, anyone can kill Torb's turret, now, pretty much. It's sad. LOL You just need to coordinate a bit. First, you need a D.Va to fly in there and get a lay of the land, aftwerwards a Winston + Rein + D.Va + Genji + Soldier 76 + whomever esle should be able to do the trick?

if they're grouped together a well-placed nerf should down 'em, otherwise walk in w/ Rein, drop Winston's shield and then everyone unload on whatever turrets they can find. Winston + D.Va can go for any turrets placed higher up.

Zarya can walk right up to it and destroy it with ease. His turrets are a joke now.

xaosslug

Zarya can walk right up to it and destroy it with ease. His turrets are a joke now.

lmao, she could do that before from a good distance too (I've seen Zarya's take out a turret on an upper platform from ground level! x__x), and after the nerf it's pointless to be Torb if there's a Zarya on the opposite team. I don't think a lv2 turret even eats away half her lifeline if she's standing right in front of it, melting away. T__T

Sweet Christ, enough.

I've never been in favor of briefing in games. My position has always been that if people are annoying or frustrating you with their quality of play or personality, just quit and find another game.

Unfortunately, Blizzard, in their infinite 'wisdom' decided to punish players for quitting matches in a game they paid $40 or $60 to play. This, quitting isn't the totally legitimate option it should be.

So now, after being left to die at the objective over and over by teammates with the poise and efficiency of a cat chasing a laser pointer, I resorted to griefing. I switched to Mei, and as my idiot teammates ran forward, not a pair of brain cells to rub together between the 5 of them, I built walls behind them. Predictably, they were gunned down like prisoners at execution, confused and angry at the wall behind them.

They were butchered with the raw efficiency of an industrial farm, and it was glorious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom