• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
mmr segregates playerbase in a good way so good players dont get trolled by scrubs :)

only bad side is most player has bad MMR so they do not see the benefits or the good players forget how awful low mmr players are

What you are describing is the very definition of bad matchmaking.

Strong matchmaking would see ranks distributed in a bell-curve, shape, or close to it. The bulk of users would have have close to an average MMR, ensuring both quick matchmaking and even, back-and-forth matches.

If the bulk of users have bad MMR, it's a straight up shit algorithm, and the peopl in charge of matchmaking at Blizzard should not merely be fired, their belongings should be mailed to the farthest outpost of Siberia and they should be blacklisted from the industry.

Veelk

Banned
Fair enough.

A simple quit-without-penalty option in combination with the JIP mode would have solved the issue entirely.

As it is, so long as we're all in it for ourselves, rounding these imbeciles up with ice walls and watching them get butchered like hogs is all good.

The thing is, 'we' aren't all in it for ourselves. You are. Have you tried asking these people to change over chat? Have you tried adapting to the enemy so while they maybe can't take out X, they can take out Y, so you switch to Z to take out X for them?

Most players just don't communicate. And some other players are still learning, But very few are selfish in the way that you describe yourself to be. I just had a game yesterday where we were about to make a game deciding assault with one guy using a Torb. I asked him to switch and he did.....to bastion. So I asked him to switch again, and he switched to a character he could do something with. And we fucking crushed it and won the game, all because I asked him politely to change, twice even, and he was good natured about it.

There are other issues that get in the way of team cohesion besides just being an asshole. If you solve those and you realize that you are playing with a bags of dicks, then whatever, feel free to go Luci-mei-fer and ruin the game for everyone. But that really is more rare than you're saying. It sounds like you're just looking for an excuse to be a dick to me.

Bunny hopping is a strategy that has been in multiplayer FPS since the very earliest ones.
That doesn't mean its good, right? If that were the case regaining health would be good because its been in multiplayer FPS forever too. Or how about sprint? Coincidentally both of those are absent from this game.

It's a decent strategy to dodge stuff and you might wanna utilize it yourself (especially if you're playing a low health hero like Tracer).
Yes, this is obvious and ignored my post. Is it fun? Is it good gameplay? At least in CoD and BF players couldn't dunk on a god damn 11 foot rim. And I could live with the insane hops if it weren't that you could do it forever.

I'll admit I can't both jump and shoot at once, but let's not pretend the act of jumping continuously is very skillful. Particularly on console where aiming is more difficult.

Fair enough.

A simple quit-without-penalty option in combination with the JIP mode would have solved the issue entirely.

As it is, so long as we're all in it for ourselves, rounding these imbeciles up with ice walls and watching them get butchered like hogs is all good.
What? What's the point of having an XP penalty if there is an option to leave without penalty. That makes no sense. Based on reading all your posts, you deserve all the shitty teammates, becuase you're ruining their experience just as much, if not more, with the Mei trolling, as they are are ruining yours. You're being a troll and a jerk with Mei. People like you are why people hate Mei. If you don't have fun, and don't like any games that you play, that it leads to you ruining others experiences, I suggest you put the game away.

peakish

So I just had a game on Hanamura where the defending team had two Soldier 76s on top of the building next to point A.

How is that possible? Unfortunately I couldn't get a screen because I was in the middle of battle, but there were two of them up there, and they didn't have a Junkrat on their team (I don't even know if Junkrat's things affect teammates anyway)

Is this a new exploit?
It's legit.

patchday

What you are describing is the very definition of bad matchmaking.

Strong matchmaking would see ranks distributed in a bell-curve, shape, or close to it. The bulk of users would have have close to an average MMR, ensuring both quick matchmaking and even, back-and-forth matches.

If the bulk of users have bad MMR, it's a straight up shit algorithm, and the peopl in charge of matchmaking at Blizzard should not merely be fired, their belongings should be mailed to the farthest outpost of Siberia and they should be blacklisted from the industry.

you are arguing against a basic algorithm used in most any leadning MP game: Dota 2, LoL, etc. It would be absurd for me to even continue arguing that point to be frank so I wont even discuss it

I humbly submit that platform makes a huge difference on this. There is logic there, but I think the difference is in BF games vs Overwatch, you have far more control over your direction in mid-air in Overwatch.

thats because in those games a bad teammate cannot cause a 'snowball'. For MOBAs this is a must for example since 1 bad apple can ruin everything. OW also suffers that weakness to an extent. For instance a bad solo tank/support can cause it all to go to hell
That's a valid point. R6 didn't have MMR (as far as could tell) and that game constantly swung from exhilarating to rage inducing. That said, it was far more tense, as players had less health, died to single head shots, and had no respawn.

That doesn't mean its good, right? If that were the case regaining health would be good because its been in multiplayer FPS forever too. Or how about sprint? Coincidentally both of those are absent from this game.

Actually, you're wrong. Regaining health is in this game (in the form of shields) and some characters can sprint or dash as well. :)
Bunny hopping is fine. If you know the enemy is doing it, it's actually a lot easier to hit them because you can predict where they're going to be. It's the ones that alternate between being on the ground and jumping that are difficult to pin down.

Yes, this is obvious and ignored my post. Is it fun? Is it good gameplay? At least in CoD and BF players couldn't dunk on a god damn 11 foot rim. And I could live with the insane hops if it weren't that you could do it forever.

I'll admit I can't both jump and shoot at once, but let's not pretend the act of jumping continuously is very skillful. Particularly on console where aiming is more difficult.

I don't understand what your point is exactly. Would you rather have no jumping in the game at all? In my opinion, having more mobility options is fun, yes. Limiting mobility options is less fun. This is especially the case with a game that has maps that are based on many elevated levels and objects, using cover, etc.
In fact, several characters are specifically built to include jumping, or vertical movement in general.

If bunny hopping is so difficult to deal with for you, how are you feeling about Pharah's flight, Mercy's jumpdashes, Lucio's wallriding, etc.?

xaosslug

I messed up so many times with it

the STRUGGLE, tho. T__T I had to switch her DM back to R1 and made her boost the left trigger. I'm still not used to it (I still press L1 to boost -__-) but it's a lot more intuitive for me than the OG set up, because I always used (and still do) the left trigger stop-short function.

Anne

Envy vs LG and C9 vs TSM are going to be happening over the next couple of hours in the ELeague/FaceIt Open qualifiers. Top 4 teams in NA all on the new patch, should be fun.

Already seen a lot of teams running Lucio/Zen/McCree as their defaults.

Stream is here: https://www.twitch.tv/overwatchopen

The EU finals are happening as of this edit, the NA stuff should start not too long after.

Gator86

Bunny hopping is a strategy that has been in multiplayer FPS since the very earliest ones. It's a decent strategy to dodge stuff and you might wanna utilize it yourself (especially if you're playing a low health hero like Tracer).

Bunny hopping sucks. It's not some secret as to the benefit, but it makes everything about a game more irritating. Having to constantly tap jump isn't fun or compelling. It's just an extra annoying thing to have to constantly do in the course of normal gameplay. Also, everyone constantly hopping everywhere looks dumb as shit. I wish games would find some way of removing the benefit from it.

Actually, you're wrong. Regaining health is in this game (in the form of shields) and some characters can sprint or dash as well. :)
Your example isn't exactly apples vs. apples, either. No character can regen all their health (outside of healers), and dash and sprint are both special abilities, one with cool down and the other completely unique to one out of 22 characters,

Bunny hopping is fine. If you know the enemy is doing it, it's actually a lot easier to hit them because you can predict where they're going to be. It's the ones that alternate between being on the ground and jumping that are difficult to pin down.
It's easier to hit them from a distance actually. Up close, it's a nightmare, IMO.

I don't understand what your point is exactly. Would you rather have no jumping in the game at all? In my opinion, having more mobility options is fun, yes. Limiting mobility options is less fun. This is especially the case with a game that has maps that are based on many elevated levels and objects, using cover, etc.
In fact, several characters are specifically built to include jumping, or vertical movement in general.

If bunny hopping is so difficult to deal with for you, how are you feeling about Pharah's flight, Mercy's jumpdashes, Lucio's wallriding, etc.?
I thought I was pretty clear, I'm fine with jumping, just not being able to do it forever. Both Pharah and Mercy's abilities have cool downs, so in that example of yours, not infinite.

Lucio can be bait of trouble to deal with on console, but luckily his wall ride has limited utility due to a lack of good places for him to utilize it (Mostly KOTH). Unlike jumping, which you can do pretty much everywhere, anytime.

Look, I expected to be in the minority here, but that doesn't mean I'm going roll over when you guys try to justify it as anything other than a matter of taste.

cyborg009

Banned
So I just had a game on Hanamura where the defending team had two Soldier 76s on top of the building next to point A.

How is that possible? Unfortunately I couldn't get a screen because I was in the middle of battle, but there were two of them up there, and they didn't have a Junkrat on their team (I don't even know if Junkrat's things affect teammates anyway)

Is this a new exploit?

yea probably mei ice wall and they were able to jump up there.

Veelk

Banned
Count me in the pro-hopping people. Out of the Meka, D.Va is frail as shit and bunny hopping somehow managed to survive using that, and it's good and satisfying. D.Va is a rabbit, she will hop. And like everyone says, people can learn to counter that.

peakish

I humbly submit that platform makes a huge difference on this. There is logic there, but I think the difference is in BF games vs Overwatch, you have far more control over your direction in mid-air in Overwatch.
I can see that.

And yes, it is entirely a design decision. I grew up on shooters where this was the standard so it comes pretty naturally to me. To the point where I think it would feel weird if I couldn't do it, or if the jump was really inefficient. To mention an example, Rage (single-player) has jump but you can barely use it since so many ledges are blocked by invisible borders and there's no sense in using it against AI opponents in combat. This felt off to me during the entire game.

Of course in real life no one will be jumping everywhere so that's also a natural thing to bring into games. I don't think any approach makes more sense than the other, it comes down to preference and how it matches the rest of the game (ie. in Rage it didn't at all match the end result).

Blu(e)

Is this a new exploit?

You can rocket jump up there. From the bench to the ledge and then up to the top.

I can see that.

And yes, it is entirely a design decision. I grew up on shooters where this was the standard so it comes pretty naturally to me. To the point where I think it would feel weird if I couldn't do it, or if the jump was really inefficient. To mention an example, Rage (single-player) has jump but you can barely use it since so many ledges are blocked by invisible borders and there's no sense in using it against AI opponents in combat. This felt off to me during the entire game.

Of course in real life no one will be jumping everywhere so that's also a natural thing to bring into games. I don't think any approach makes more sense than the other, it comes down to preference and how it matches the rest of the game (ie. in Rage it didn't at all match the end result).
What'd you grow up on? I feel like some of the divide has to be coming from Quake or Unreal versus GoldenEye and Perfect Dark and TimesSplitters. It was also pretty rare to see bunny hoppers in CoD and BF last gen.

xaosslug

Is this a new exploit?

Mei's ice wall? When she's not being evil incarnate she can help her bros reach new heights.

peakish

What'd you grow up on? I feel like some of the divide has to be coming from Quake or Unreal versus GoldenEye and Perfect Dark and TimesSplitters. It was also pretty rare to see bunny hoppers in CoD and BF last gen.
I pretty much grew up on the Quake series, yeah. Also played UT, CS and Tribes, although to a lesser extent (never liked the movement in any of those games as much as in Quake, except maybe Tribes which still is completely different).

I also loved Goldeneye but did not play as much of it over the years. There's definitely a huge divide between that and PC FPS games of that era.

I think McCree is the most satisfying character to do well with right now.

Yeah his damage is dumb, but it just feels so good landing shots consistently.

As Genji I reflected a Hanzo ult. It was the most incredible feeling.

(We won't talk about my time afterwards, dying with my blade unsheathed to Junkrat's passive.)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think McCree is the most satisfying character to do well with right now.

Yeah his damage is dumb, but it just feels so good landing shots consistently.

He's a high skill ceiling character for a reason. I tend to bust him out for qp because i really want to improve my aim.

Kysen

There are significantly XP penalties for quitting in QP, regardless of how much of impact you were having on the game (ie, how much of the load you were carrying before you said 'fuck this, I can't handle the morons this matchmaking has paired me with')

I'm glad this penalty is in place, I hate quitters. No excuse other than emergencies is acceptable for leaving a game early. The matchmaking system isn't perfect but it does place you with similar skilled players, so if they are morons well...

Is this a new exploit?

You can use the helix rocket to boost up, I watched some guy do it.

LiK

alright, i HATE jump on L1. just doesn't feel right for me. I might change it to L2 instead and see how that goes. if that doesn't work for me, I'm switching back to default. It actually made me play worse.

xaosslug

I'm glad this penalty is in place, I hate quitters. No excuse other than emergencies is acceptable for leaving a game early. The matchmaking system isn't perfect but it does place you with similar skilled players, so if they are morons well...

it really does not, imo. Because I've been placed on teams where the entire team is under 20, while the opposing team are all 1-star players. Like, am I honestly expected to carry the rest of the team because I have 3 stars? SERIOUSLY?! -__-

xaosslug

alright, i HATE jump on L1. just doesn't feel right for me. I might change it to L2 instead and see how that goes. if that doesn't work for me, I'm switching back to default. It actually made me play worse.

jump + L3 = intuitive awesomeness, and once you go J-L3 you'll nevah go back. ^__^

the only character I can play w/ jump default X is Junkrat, now.

Antitype why do I have my doubts that you are some amazing player that is always carrying crappy teammates?

https://www.overbuff.com/ let's see it.

tumblr_lrjhiofp841r3opg1o1_250.gif

LiK

jump + L3 = intuitive awesomeness, and once you go J-L3 you'll nevah go back. ^__^

the only character I can play w/ jump default X is Junkrat, now.

i've learned my lesson from Destiny to never use L3 for anything now. break the stick faster lol

Kysen

it really does not, imo. Because I've been placed on teams where the entire team is under 20, while the opposing team are all 1-star players. Like, am I honestly expected to carry the rest of the team because I have 3 stars? SERIOUSLY?! -__-

Level doesn't mean anything in this game other than time played. MMR on the other hand is what is used to match players, that is hidden.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The bell curve really seems to be at the 50-60 range though. When i was 44 i was in the 18th percentile in the world of people who uses overbuff. Now at 49, I'm in the 38th percentile.

by now people want support but don't give two shits about them and don't bother protecting if someone picks support. then they get upset when they don't get healed. :fullheadtilt:

Lulubop

Envy vs LG and C9 vs TSM are going to be happening over the next couple of hours in the ELeague/FaceIt Open qualifiers. Top 4 teams in NA all on the new patch, should be fun.

Already seen a lot of teams running Lucio/Zen/McCree as their defaults.

Stream is here: https://www.twitch.tv/overwatchopen

The EU finals are happening as of this edit, the NA stuff should start not too long after.

Mercy isn't even being picked all the time these days

Anne

Mercy isn't even being picked all the time these days

I haven't really seen her at all today. Lucio/Zen comps seem to be the main meta thing right now.

Edit: second I say that Envy pulls out Mercy. Yay for variety. Yay for triple support teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom