• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Banned
Sweet Christ, enough.

I've never been in favor of briefing in games. My position has always been that if people are annoying or frustrating you with their quality of play or personality, just quit and find another game.

Unfortunately, Blizzard, in their infinite 'wisdom' decided to punish players for quitting matches in a game they paid $40 or $60 to play. This, quitting isn't the totally legitimate option it should be.

So now, after being left to die at the objective over and over by teammates with the poise and efficiency of a cat chasing a laser pointer, I resorted to griefing. I switched to Mei, and as my idiot teammates ran forward, not a pair of brain cells to rub together between the 5 of them, I built walls behind them. Predictably, they were gunned down like prisoners at execution, confused and angry at the wall behind them.

They were butchered with the raw efficiency of an industrial farm, and it was glorious.

"I'm not having fun so let me ruin the game for everyone"

Quitting should always be discouraged in rank, and if you're quitting in unranked it doesn't exactly do much, the completion rate required is silly low. Don't grief, you're ruining the fun for 11 people for yourself.

Ramirez

Serious question: how to deal with 6 Tjorborns on Hanamura? The enemy did it to troll so when we switched sides we trolled them back. Also since I reached level 25 the quality of the quick play matches has improved dramatically, I'm getting grouped with people in the level 40-80 range now and the difference is night and day, like people actually know how to play now.

You leave the game and search for a new one. Even with the Torb nerf, there's no way I would stick around in any game where the opposing team is 6 stack, it's so stupid.

xaosslug

Sweet Christ, enough.

I've never been in favor of briefing in games. My position has always been that if people are annoying or frustrating you with their quality of play or personality, just quit and find another game.

Unfortunately, Blizzard, in their infinite 'wisdom' decided to punish players for quitting matches in a game they paid $40 or $60 to play. This, quitting isn't the totally legitimate option it should be.

So now, after being left to die at the objective over and over by teammates with the poise and efficiency of a cat chasing a laser pointer, I resorted to griefing. I switched to Mei, and as my idiot teammates ran forward, not a pair of brain cells to rub together between the 5 of them, I built walls behind them. Predictably, they were gunned down like prisoners at execution, confused and angry at the wall behind them.

They were butchered with the raw efficiency of an industrial farm, and it was glorious.

not doing much to confute dat 'evil Mei' rap...
RqgSBng.gif

caesar

Banned
Sweet Christ, enough.

Lul, post stats.

Even with the nerf I'm still seeing Torb, if anything even moreso. I see a Torb every game, even on attack.

He's useless but holy crap I'm sick of seeing him.

Roubjon

It's so fucking annoying getting paired with rank 58s when I'm rank 70. Having to carry the entire team is such a fruitless endeavor.

Soma

I think I picked a really good time to finally start playing with Roadhog. Why haven't I used him sooner? He's so fun, especially with an Ana ulting you lmao!

I think Blizzard should have gave her a DMR type weapon with shorter zoom and an easier firing cadence. The gun acts like a sniper, and hip firing a sniper isn't easy on a pad. But she was never designed for consoles to begin with, we're second fiddle, so oh well.

Were you listening in to a convo I had last night? That was my suggestion as well. Between the zoom and the movement speed, trying to use Ana is more frustrating than fun. Sure, you can no-scope, but that feels wrong somehow. Perhaps Blizzard doesn't want it 'easier' to use her, but I feel like her having a 2x ADS scope and 75% movement speed while scoped would make her much easier to use.

Edit:
Seems friend list on PS4 is borked. Player icons don't show up for me and I'm not sure it know when people are in a group.

I don't think it shows when they're in a game either (Join Game option)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

When you quit, you're pissing off at least 5 other people. 5 other people who all paid $40-$60. Back when leavers completely killed rating gain, you'd be pissing off 11 other people. Why should your money be worth more than all of theirs?

The math works out fine. Welcome to team games.

peakish

I think I picked a really good time to finally start playing with Roadhog. Why haven't I used him sooner? He's so fun, especially with an Ana ulting you lmao!
He's pretty dope. Probably the best character to solo queue with too. Good damage, self sufficient with heals, fits pretty much any comp. When you're on a roll landing all the hooks it feels amazing to play as him.

When you quit, you're pissing off at least 5 other people. 5 other people who all paid $40-$60. Back when leavers completely killed rating gain, you'd be pissing off 11 other people. Why should your money be worth more than all of theirs?

The math works out fine. Welcome to team games.

I'd suggest that the company charging us $40 or $60 (plus micro-transaction income) provide matchmaking that is not trash, thus ensuring more players feel their time is better spent completing the game, rather than quitting the forgone conclusion and trying to find another..

And for the record, I don't play Competitive any more for just that season. The matchmaking is so astoundingly poor, that I can't be bothered. I only play Quick Play.

Animator

You should be able to quit without penalty in the first 15 seconds of a match before it starts. Because nothing worse than joining a comp game and watching your team pick hanzo/widow/ana/genji on Anubis defense.

LiK

Seems friend list on PS4 is borked. Player icons don't show up for me and I'm not sure it know when people are in a group.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'd suggest that the company charging us $40 or $60 (plus micro-transaction income) provide matchmaking that is not trash, thus ensuring more players feel their time is better spent completing the game, rather than quitting the forgone conclusion and trying to find another..

They can no more provide "matchmaking that is not trash" any more than they can guarantee having "players that are not trash".

It's an unsolvable problem. In older games, people self-curated the playerbase they encountered by segregating themselves into private servers, but any game that uses automated matchmaking is going to be almost uncuratable. How can a company curate their customers? They can only mete out so much punishment before they're effectively stealing people's money.

Anyway this attitude is, ironically, the kind of thing that makes matchmaking worse so, grats, you're now part of the problem!

I hear you. I'm a little over KOTH for now.

I wish there was a queue just for payload maps but I also don't want to fracture the player base more than the QP/Comp already does.
Honestly, MMR fractures the base way more than playlists does. People are already being segregated by rating and group size.

They can no more provide "matchmaking that is not trash" any more than they can guarantee having "players that are not trash".

It's an unsolvable problem. In older games, people self-curated their playerbase by segregating themselves into private servers. But any game that uses automated matchmaking is going to be uncuratable. How can a company curate their customers? They can only mete out so punishment before they're literally stealing people's money.

Anyway this attitude is, ironically, the kind of thing that makes matchmaking worse so grats, you're now part of the problem!

I'm willing to be part of the problem if it increases my own ability to garner enjoyment out of a product that I paid $60 for. At no point in my purchase was I informed that I was now a slave in service of providing futile support to teammates that needed their drool wiped from their bibs.

A simple unpenalized quit option in Quick Play would have sufficed as well.

Soulflarz

Banned
^How much you paid for the game doesn't justify this at all. They aren't changing game design because you paid X dollars for it, that makes no sense.

And for the record, I don't play Competitive any more for just that season. The matchmaking is so astoundingly poor, that I can't be bothered. I only play Quick Play.

Man, salt has gone up in this thread even more. The match is not worth quitting. Use the rest of the match you've lost to learn more- do you just want to improve until you're good enough to constantly lose? It's a fruitless endeavor. Try to hold out and maybe get a clutch win or such!

Either way you're trying to justify screwing your entire team over. If the matchmaking is 'trash', go play something else.

On one hand we have everyone mad that people keep quitting and we have others mad they can't quit more. It's pointless.

What in the fuck have I done in my life to deserve a Torbjorn AND an Ana in offense in a competitive match?

My two friends and I (I believe...Ana/Zen/Reaper) complained about our offensive torb
he got 40 elims

Outstanding torb, would never insult again. Amazed we had a good offensive torb and won.

Whats it like in the mid 65s as a support main solo?

Almost the same as they are in the 50s. The only difference I really notice are people are more likely to wait and group. 50s still have a lot of people that don't wait and just trickle in one at a time to get picked off. 60s also switch a lot, in the 50s I still see people that'll play the same character the whole game even though it's obviously it's not working. Overall, I'd say 60s is definitely less frustrating as support than the 50s are.

^How much you paid for the game doesn't justify this at all. They aren't changing game design because you paid X dollars for it, that makes no sense.

Man, salt has gone up in this thread even more. The match is not worth quitting. Use the rest of the match you've lost to learn more- do you just want to improve until you're good enough to constantly lose? It's a fruitless endeavor. Try to hold out and maybe get a clutch win or such!

Either way you're trying to justify screwing your entire team over. If the matchmaking is 'trash', go play something else.

On one hand we have everyone mad that people keep quitting and we have others mad they can't quit more. It's pointless.

My two friends and I (I believe...Ana/Zen/Reaper) complained about our offensive torb
he got 40 elims

Outstanding torb, would never insult again. Amazed we had a good offensive torb and won.

In a vacuum, where games do not cost money, I would be happy to do so. I paid money for this game, and I will squeeze whatever enjoyment I can out of it until I find a seller willing to take it for reasonable value, or enough time has passed that I can rationalize writing off the money spent.

Was playing a match earlier today where I was Zenyatta and we had a Genji who would spam "I need healing!" but keep on climbing on top of walls and out of my sight so I couldn't ever target him with my healing orb (and even if I had been able to catch him with it, it wouldn't have healed him a lot anyway).

I even typed in chat that I can't heal him if he runs around, but he kept doing it.

zarya players. how does one put a shield on the person who needs it the most but they are lumped together?

Elbow grease and hope.
I try to keep track of the people who need shields the most (low health targets that get picked off or tanks in the middle of things), but sometimes it just doesn't work.

Veelk

Banned
he got 40 elims

Ha, that's funny.

I guess that's the flip side of the argument. Sometimes, a player is good enough to legitimize an otherwise questionable pick. A good Widowmaker is rarer than 3 Legendary skins in a lootbox, but when you do get one, they get WRECKED.

So sometimes it's better to just let them try, even if you have reasonable doubts.

So we win the first 2 rounds, 5 people on the other team quit and then we get a server error so no rank up. This is the second time that's happened today smh.

patchday

Honestly, MMR fractures the base way more than playlists does. People are already being segregated by rating and group size.

mmr segregates playerbase in a good way so good players dont get trolled by scrubs :)

only bad side is most player has bad MMR so they do not see the benefits or the good players forget how awful low mmr players are

Unpopular Opinion time: The "You got the drop on me and now I'll jump higher than Vince Carter ad infinitum" is not compelling nor fun gameplay. Especially when in this game it seems like some characters almost jump higher than their character model is tall and actually have more compact hitboxes because they tuck their legs under them.

Source of frustration: The millionth time this has happened to me. I suppose this is supposed to be normal for 'arena' games, but seeing as this is my first one, color me unimpressed. Half the reason i got sick of Halo was the players that couldn't travel anywhere keeping both feet on the ground. I guess I got spoiled by Rainbow 6 Siege where you couldn't jump outside of hurdling obstacles.

Veelk

Banned
In a vacuum, where games do not cost money, I would be happy to do so. I paid money for this game, and I will squeeze whatever enjoyment I can out of it until I find a seller willing to take it for reasonable value, or enough time has passed that I can rationalize writing off the money spent.

In this case, you have absolutely no right to complain about other players making your experience miserable. You're not the only one to pay money for the game, and if that alone justifies this 'fuck you, got mine' attitude, then they're perfectly justified in ignoring your desire for a good experience by playing the characters they want, however questionable those picks may be.

Unpopular Opinion time: The "You got the drop on me and now I'll jump higher than Vince Carter ad infinitum" is not compelling nor fun gameplay. Especially when in this game it seems like some characters almost jump higher than their character model is tall and actually have more compact hitboxes because they tuck their legs under them.

Source of frustration: The millionth time this has happened to me. I suppose this is supposed to be normal for 'arena' games, but seeing as this is my first one, color me unimpressed. Half the reason i got sick of Halo was the players that couldn't travel anywhere keeping both feet on the ground. I guess I got spoiled by Rainbow 6 Siege where you couldn't jump outside of hurdling obstacles.

It's not a realistic shooter.

Evasion by way of jumping, strafing, crouching or any combination thereof is a skill gap issue, not a design issue.

peakish

I'm willing to be part of the problem if it increases my own ability to garner enjoyment out of a product that I paid $60 for,

A simple unpenalized quit option in Quick Play would have sufficed as well.
I haven't heard of any penalties for quitting in QP.

You should be able to quit without penalty in the first 15 seconds of a match before it starts. Because nothing worse than joining a comp game and watching your team pick hanzo/widow/ana/genji on Anubis defense.
I'm pretty sure you can quit the game at the "Assemble" stage without penalty.

mmr segregates playerbase in a good way so good players dont get trolled by scrubs :)

only bad side is most player has bad MMR so they do not see the benefits or the good players forget how awful low mmr players are
I'm not giving an opinion on good or bad, just pointing out its a self-imposed limitation by Blizzard.

Personally, coming from Call of Duty and Battlefield, I don't recall the lack of MMR significantly detracting from the fun.

In this case, you have absolutely no right to complain about other players making your experience miserable. You're not the only one to pay money for the game, and if that alone justifies this 'fuck you, got mine' attitude, then they're perfectly justified in ignoring your desire for a good experience by playing the characters they want, however questionable those picks may be.

Fair enough.

A simple quit-without-penalty option in combination with the JIP mode would have solved the issue entirely.

As it is, so long as we're all in it for ourselves, rounding these imbeciles up with ice walls and watching them get butchered like hogs is all good.

Ramirez

What in the fuck have I done in my life to deserve a Torbjorn AND an Ana in offense in a competitive match?

I would argue that Ana is a much more offensive support than defensive. In my playtime last night, things fall apart very quickly on defense when your team goes down and you're Ana. On offense you can really stay back and play your role since the other team isn't actively pushing you the whole match, and Nano boost really helps push payloads or break defensive setups.

Bunny hopping is a strategy that has been in multiplayer FPS since the very earliest ones. It's a decent strategy to dodge stuff and you might wanna utilize it yourself (especially if you're playing a low health hero like Tracer).

I haven't heard of any penalties for quitting in QP.

There are significantly XP penalties for quitting in QP, regardless of how much of impact you were having on the game (ie, how much of the load you were carrying before you said 'fuck this, I can't handle the morons this matchmaking has paired me with')

peakish

Use it to your advantage. It's easier to predict where people will be if they're jumping.

There are significantly XP penalties for quitting in QP, regardless of how much of impact you were having on the game (ie, how much of the load you were carrying before you said 'fuck this, I can't handle the morons this matchmaking has paired me with')
Oh, that's right.

patchday

I'm not giving an opinion on good or bad, just pointing out its a self-imposed limitation by Blizzard.

Personally, coming from Call of Duty and Battlefield, I don't recall the lack of MMR significantly detracting from the fun.

thats because in those games a bad teammate cannot cause a 'snowball'. For MOBAs this is a must for example since 1 bad apple can ruin everything. OW also suffers that weakness to an extent. For instance a bad solo tank/support can cause it all to go to hell

So I just had a game on Hanamura where the defending team had two Soldier 76s on top of the building next to point A.
How is that possible? Unfortunately I couldn't get a screen because I was in the middle of battle, but there were two of them up there, and they didn't have a Junkrat on their team (I don't even know if Junkrat's things affect teammates anyway)

Is this a new exploit?

So I just had a game on Hanamura where the defending team had two Soldier 76s on top of the building next to point A.

How is that possible? Unfortunately I couldn't get a screen because I was in the middle of battle, but there were two of them up there, and they didn't have a Junkrat on their team (I don't even know if Junkrat's things affect teammates anyway)

Is this a new exploit?

mei?

Is this a new exploit?
Not an exploit. There is a "rocket jump" method with him where if you shoot your helix rockets at the ground and jump at the same time, it gives you a little boost to get to higher ground. I've seen Seagull do it a couple times ands it's a legit strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom