• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT4| You Want A Good Genji, But You Need The Bad Hanzo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I pretty much grew up on the Quake series, yeah. Also played UT, CS and Tribes, although to a lesser extent (never liked the movement in any of those games as much as in Quake, except maybe Tribes which still is completely different).

I also loved Goldeneye but did not play as much of it over the years. There's definitely a huge divide between that and PC FPS games of that era.
Does CS have a lot jumping? Never watched any gameplay. But yeah, sounds like you grew up mostly on PC.

(I remember not being able to drop off ledges in GoldenEye. Drove me nuts)

Ramirez

TURTx31.jpg

Manage to solo heal a win, no votes, feels bad man.

NimbusD

Is leveling other people's accounts illegal/frowned upon by blizzard? I ran into like three groups today who were obviously doing that, like people who should be comp level 60-70 but in the low 40s who's career profile says the character they just used to murder me 20 times in a row, they've played a total of 20 minutes.

Its either that or people want side accounts to make themselves feel better about killing low level competetive players? I dunno. Once in a while its like, cool I get to try to out maneuver some really good players (as long as Im on a team that's actually communicated and not getting split apart like butter) It gets frustrating when it happens over and over.

It's almost always when you're against a group of 6 too, or at least maybe that's when it's the most apparent.

EDIT: also ran into the first player I've ever seen use an insane dpi that you're like, why do mouses even go that high?, a junkrat who every time I saw the kill cam, he pretty much saw all directions at once and still had crazy aim.

Soulflarz

Banned
Yes using other peoples accounts to level them is against the law

Also in the 40s you'll never find a 60-70
That doesn't happen, you're overthinking this.

Anne

Is leveling other people's accounts illegal/frowned upon by blizzard? I ran into like three groups today who were obviously doing that, like people who should be comp level 60-70 but in the low 40s who's career profile says the character they just used to murder me 20 times in a row, they've played a total of 20 minutes.

Its either that or people want side accounts to make themselves feel better about killing low level competetive players? I dunno. Once in a while its like, cool I get to try to out maneuver some really good players (as long as Im on a team that's actually communicated and not getting split apart like butter) It gets frustrating when it happens over and over.

It's almost always when you're against a group of 6 too, or at least maybe that's when it's the most apparent.

Sounds like smurfs, there isn't enough value in the ranking systems for elo boosting to be worth it yet.

Smurfing is just a thing that is going to happen.

I think McCree is the most satisfying character to do well with right now.

Yeah his damage is dumb, but it just feels so good landing shots consistently.
I feel like he's now the go-to sniper on console. I've been putting a lot of time in on him getting better. God help an enemy team if you're consistent at landing head shots (I'm not).

Level doesn't mean anything in this game other than time played. MMR on the other hand is what is used to match players, that is hidden.
This bullshit, and I wish people would stop parroting it. While level isn't a guarantee of skill, there's going to be correlation there. Level can be indicative of either experience or XP gain. Experience is important for learning all the characters, maps, health locations and various strats. XP gain is indicative of getting lots of medals and winning.

No a level 300 is not guaranteed to be the better player, but anyone who would take a random level 20 over a random level 300 is either stupid or lying.

Edit: Put it another way, a 70 year-old is not necessarily smarter than a 20 year-old, but chances are they know a lot more just from having lived through it.

Anne

Shaq is apparently picking up seagull for his e-sports team?

What a world eh.

Looks like picking up most of LG. Gods and Pookz are both good and are also popping up on twitter, as well as their manager Shayed and their tank player Milo. Most of LG is pretty good but they've had some issues with everybody on the team being on the same page.

NimbusD

Yes using other peoples accounts to level them is against the law

Also in the 40s you'll never find a 60-70
That doesn't happen, you're overthinking this.

Yeah well that's why Im thinking that they're not using their own account, they most definitely weren't low 40's players. I'm not just making a random accusation because I'm sad I didn't win.

Sounds like smurfs, there isn't enough value in the ranking systems for elo boosting to be worth it yet.

Smurfing is just a thing that is going to happen.

Yeah that makes sense. I just assumed it was to get ranking rewards or something. Either way it's just annoying when it happens a lot in a row.

Kysen

No a level 300 is guaranteed to be the better player, but anyone who take a random level 20 over a random level 300 is either stupid or lying.

Edit: Put it another way, a 70 year-old is not necessarily smarter than a 20 year-old, but chances are they know a lot more just from having lived through it.

Nah, I have seen first hand lvl200+ people who had very low skill rating. All that tells me is that over that huge number of hours played they learned nothing. A level 20 isn't completely new to the game its more than enough time to learn a character. So in picking between a lvl 300 or 20 you'd have to look at their stats as the level doesn't tell you much.

peakish

Does CS have a lot jumping? Never watched any gameplay. But yeah, sounds like you grew up mostly on PC.

(I remember not being able to drop off ledges in GoldenEye. Drove me nuts)
I remember there being some but honestly not a lot of jumping in CS, since it has recoil which increases a ton when moving. But I never followed the pro scene of that game, sticking entirely to Q3A for that. I don't think I've even played a game since 1.3 ... movement is one of the reasons for why I preferred Quake anyway.

Edit: EnvyUS is so damn good.

Anne

Jumping in CSGO only happens if somebody is bunnyhopping, a way to just traverse the map faster, or boosting, which means jumping on the heads of teammates to get into advantageous spots.

Edit: EnvyUS is so damn good.

Talespin gonna solo all of LG at some point this map lol

patchday

This bullshit, and I wish people would stop parroting it. While level isn't a guarantee of skill, there's going to be correlation there. Level can be indicative of either experience or XP gain. Experience is important for learning all the characters, maps, health locations and various strats. XP gain is indicative of getting lots of medals and winning.

No a level 300 is not guaranteed to be the better player, but anyone who would take a random level 20 over a random level 300 is either stupid or lying.

I agree with him levels dont mean anything. I personally own OW on two different platforms plus I've been playing since early beta when they always kept resetting our progress

(I am more impressed by Levels only cause that means lots of loot boxes they opened lol)

Soulflarz

Banned

You'd be surprised at how little people learn
They play smash 4 months and still can't adapt
Play Rocket League hundreds of hours and can't aerial
Play OW for 2 months and still can't do many things.

150+ is pretty common for people who jumped on day 1.

Am 62 and only play 9-11 with friends 3x a week roughly.

LiK

It depends on each individual's playtime of course. I average 2-3 hours a day per week and I'm 176.

that's about the same for me. i kinda stopped playing as much now due to difficulty in finding groups. Will only play like 2 hours solo before my morale is destroyed by idiots.

patchday

I wouldn't think of a gaffer as an average player. My friends- we all been playing since day 1. none of us are close to level 100.

maybe 1 guy- but he plays hrs a day.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
that's about the same for me. i kinda stopped playing as much now due to difficulty in finding groups. Will only play like 2 hours solo before my morale is destroyed by idiots.

I kind of do alright soloing honestly. I group up with peeps I know and sometimes I get into matches where I feel like my team has no business being matched to.

Only thing I find perplexing about solo queuing now is prevalence of getting underdog teams that are underdogs only because one guy is 10 levels below our team average but they have another guy who is 8 levels above our team average. Won quite a few of those matches, but still.

Also man, checked my stats and I have a 2.55:1 E:D with roadhog and 3.32:1 E:D with DVa. Both also have my highest winrates. I should just main tank really, but I can't help jumping between characters even in rank.

LiK

I kind of do alright soloing honestly. I group up with peeps I know and sometimes I get into matches where I feel like my team has no business being matched to.

Only thing I find perplexing about solo queuing now is prevalence of getting underdog team that are underdogs only because one guy is 10 levels below our team average but they have another guy who is 8 levels above our team average. Won quite a few of those matches, but still.

feels good when you win well with randoms but man, then you get matched up with guys who can't aim for shit and wonder how they ended up in the same rank as you.

Ramirez

Wish Blizzard would put in a post game report that you could view for everyone in the game. No one gives a fuck about cards, people leave before the vote, or are too salty to vote anyways. I'd much rather know if the teams were as unbalanced as I felt they were, lol.

Antiwhippy

feels good when you win well with randoms but man, then you get matched up with guys who can't aim for shit and wonder how they ended up in the same rank as you.

Get carried during placement most likely. Had a 28 who was ranked 49 but still picked attack sniper that can't seem to do too much.

I'm trying my best not to focus too much on stuff like that though nowadays. It's hard to break out of that mindset, but sometimes you just gotta focus on your game and just work with the teammates you have. Plus I really don't want to be shitty to other people.

Wish Blizzard would put in a post game report that you could view for everyone in the game. No one gives a fuck about cards, people leave before the vote, or are too salty to vote anyways. I'd much rather know if the teams were as unbalanced as I felt they were, lol.

Sadly Blizzard was against this notion and it's partially why we have cards instead.

Not that the Medals thing is any less toxic though.

LiK

Get carried during placement most likely. Had a 28 who was ranked 49 but still picked attack sniper that can't seem to do too much.

I'm trying my best no to focus too much on stuff like that though nowadays. It's hard to break out of that mindset, but sometimes you just gotta focus on your game and just work with the teammates you have. Plus I really don't want to be shitty to other people.

i try too. just play my best and hope for the best. just sucks when you see guys switching around cuz they're struggling.

still haven't gotten to 55. pretty bummed i might never reach it before the season ends.

Having spent the last two days unintentionally playing Zenyatta I'm really glad Blizzard decided to buff his health. Although I like Mercy she's a relatively passive hero that makes you put your fate in the hands of whoever you're healing, you can see train wrecks about to happen but are relatively powerless to do anything but follow along with it - like when Rein decides he's had enough of your healing and charges into the enemy team. With Zen I feel that I have a lot more control over the flow of battle, whoever has my harmony orb ends up engaging, whoever is discorded becomes the focus of the team or runs away, when I say "My ultimate is ready" people understand to stay right near me during the next push - and all the while I'm hanging out at the back and keeping heavy pressure on the enemy due to his crazy damage output.

Ramirez

Sadly Blizzard was against this notion and it's partially why we have cards instead.

Not that the Medals thing is any less toxic though.

I remember reading that, comes off as coddling to me. If it's a post game report, it wouldn't cause toxicity during the game, meh.

I remember reading that, comes off as coddling to me. If it's a post game report, it wouldn't cause toxicity during the game, meh.
it absolutely would though lol

you already get called cuck, fag, shit etc enough and that's with the card system. a post game report would be disgusting.

Antiwhippy

Just read through that reddit thread in r/competitive overwatch about the ranked 28 player trying to up his game, and the biggest takeaway I got is that a ranked 28's aiming is definitely better than my own. :p

Which just goes to show that map and situation awareness plays a fairly big part in the game. Also that I really should improve my aiming. That's why I tend to stick with tanks hah.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Currently 2-12 today, went from 65 to 53, 1/3 of those loses are from leavers. I'm currently solo on the Xbox not many folks on to group with at the moment. I have more people leave in crapetitive mode then quickplay, lol.

At this point I don't even care anymore, working on achievements and getting comp points, as my comp rank really means nothing.

patchday

good idea that is missing

Bunny hopping sucks. It's not some secret as to the benefit, but it makes everything about a game more irritating. Having to constantly tap jump isn't fun or compelling. It's just an extra annoying thing to have to constantly do in the course of normal gameplay. Also, everyone constantly hopping everywhere looks dumb as shit. I wish games would find some way of removing the benefit from it.
Battlefield 4 does restrict it by having a sort of stamina for the jumps. You gradually go slower the more the consecutively keep jumping.

we go into sudden death on king's row and had to defend. the one guy said don't die much decides to charge in and was the first to drop. :fullheadtilt:

EDIT: FML> and somehow i get placed with the same guy in ranked. RIP RIP RIP and he's rein again. RIP RIP.

Just read through that reddit thread in r/competitive overwatch about the ranked 28 player trying to up his game, and the biggest takeaway I got is that a ranked 28's aiming is definitely better than my own. :p

Which just goes to show that map and situation awareness plays a fairly big part in the game. Also that I really should improve my aiming. That's why I tend to stick with tanks hah.

You mind linking the thread? Sounds like an interesting read, and I myself need to do some soul searching in terms in getting better.

Antiwhippy

Winston is my least played in ranked because I just find other tanks more interesting, and also because I got this and want to preserve it so I can still call myself one of the best winstons of all time. :p

Ramirez

it absolutely would though lol

you already get called cuck, fag, shit etc enough and that's with the card system. a post game report would be disgusting.

Oh please, people talk shit no matter what system is in place. Turn off text if it bothers you. I find it hilarious when I bother someone so much to the point they message me on PSN. I think it's stupid to limit stat knowledge because of a few people who are going to talk regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom